Hilts vrs blades 03/19/2018 06:40 AM CDT
So I finally mastered OHE a few days ago (yay!) and set to work trying to craft a perfect drakar dagger for one of my characters out of the slabs I got at the generator.

Now I know I haven't got near enough attempts to draw hard conclusions, but my giantkin warrior seems to be having a much easier time forging blades then grinding hilts. With the blades I was getting a "best you could possibly do" result approx 1 out of every 10 attempts (except the last slab I got lucky with and produced 3 bests from the 10 pieces I cut from it). When I'm grinding hilts, on the other hand, I seem to be getting a best result around 1 in 20ish attempts.

Now I'm certainly not complaining.... I'd MUCH rather best blades be more common then hilts since the slabs I have are a lot harder to come by. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same results of if my luck is skewing one way or the other?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/19/2018 12:00 PM CDT
Also, I've noticed that when I look in my containers with the sorted view, one will occasionally be listed as "Special" while the others fall under "Misc". What's the reason for this?

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

>l in my clo
In the spidersilk cloak:
Containers [1]: a ditty bag
Clothing [1]: a perfect mithril forging-hammer
Special [1]: a finished drakar dagger-blade
Misc [10]: a rough walnut dagger-hilt, a walnut block (3), a finished drakar dagger-blade (6)
Total items: 13

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/19/2018 06:02 PM CDT
I am fairly certain the grinder/vise (hilts) and the tongs (blades) have different stats that they draw from.

Also, I am also certain that Crafting (vise/grinder) and Forging (tongs) have different bonuses/penalty based on race/profession.

So I think a combination of those factors are likely at play. I think there is a list of what is known/guessed about penalties/bonuses on the wiki, as well as stats.

I do remember noticing making hilts/handles was a lot more painful on my Dwarven Warrior than it was for making blades.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/19/2018 06:54 PM CDT
<So I think a combination of those factors are likely at play.>

Ok, that's what I was thinking.... just surprised me that there was such a big difference.

I'm just glad I got a perfect drakar dagger from my first batch! My ranger's going to love playing with it once I get it enchanted. Now I just gotta figure out why the other 6 all came out as "hefty" rather then "superior".

Starchitin

Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/20/2018 08:42 AM CDT
"hefty" is one of the racial equivalent terms, like "nifty" for Halfling-forged.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/20/2018 09:18 AM CDT
<"hefty" is one of the racial equivalent terms, like "nifty" for Halfling-forged.>

Well shoot.... I'm not sure I like that. Most are aware of what a "superior" weapon is, but unless they happen to have a giantkin that forges they prolly won't know "hefty" is the exact same thing.

Is there any way to either have it make them "superior" from the beginning or change the descriptor after it's done.... or am I stuck having to explain why the "superior" weapons I'm trying to sell are "hefty"?

Starchitin

Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/24/2018 08:07 PM CDT
To remove handle - LEAN POLISHER WITH CLEAN
To change description – LEAN POLISHER WITH <descriptor>

Perfect (6% bonus to DF/Breakage, +3AvD)
Superior (4% bonus to DF/Breakage, +2 AvD)
- Hefty
- Nifty
- Well-crafted
- Exquisite
Well-made (2% bonus to DF/Breakage, +1 AvD)
- Elegant
- Fine
Nice (no bonus)
- Nice
- Plain
- Simple
- Crude
- Lop-sided
- Flimsy

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/24/2018 08:10 PM CDT
FWIW: My dwarven smith only makes and sells 'hefty' weapons when they don't come out perfect. It's sort of a trademark for him --> 'hefty mithril'.

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/25/2018 08:49 AM CDT
Thanks, I'd been hesitant to use the polisher on finished weapons cause I didn't want to remove the handle.

As an aside... does this messaging annoy anyone else: you nod, satisfied with your work.

I've been finding myself holding back from yelling at my computer when I see it.... I'm most certainly NOT satisfied with anything other then my best work.

Starchitin

Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/25/2018 02:46 PM CDT
Ha, I know what you mean. My character isn't satisfied either unless it's a best piece.

On the flip side, I also dislike the messaging about muttering "a few choice words" when making a toothpick at the grinder. My character likes her toothpick collection of many woods and metals--and even if she didn't, she doesn't mutter very often and has choice words even less often.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Hilts vrs blades 03/25/2018 06:05 PM CDT
Yer, it's bad form to tell anyone how their character feels in an RP environment regardless of the circumstances. Normally I just overlook it, but with forging it just gets my goat for some reason.

Sure, there's no one else around to see what's happening.... but I bet we'd still get our mouths soaped if we started cussing up a storm in the workshops.

Starchitin