Good gods 03/03/2018 12:26 AM CST
I think the monkeys on typewriters are going to finish the complete works of Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, and Clive Barker before I get these last 20 ranks....

...just 13 more to go.... I can do it. It's only up to one rank every 4 hours of forging.... it's can't possibly get worse... can it...CAN IT?!?!

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Good gods 03/03/2018 02:21 PM CST

it gets worse

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Good gods 03/03/2018 03:35 PM CST
*throws a dead rolton at Clunk*

Hypocrites always fussing at us about how we'd better not AFK script after putting systems like this in place...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Good gods 03/04/2018 09:07 AM CST

>>*throws a dead rolton at Clunk*

>>Hypocrites always fussing at us about how we'd better not AFK script after putting systems like this in place...

Yeah, I do most of my forging on the weekends, while doing errands around the house. I shift between entering the next command, and doing the next step of whatever errand I am working on (laundry, vacuuming, dishes, cleaning, etc).

Only tried scripting a couple of times, but, always seemed to me that you drop all opportunities to detect changes in the game rooms and environments when you do that. Never did script in the forge (that's why it took so long to master), but not always at-the-keyboard during those multi-minute long round times either.
From what I've read, that's ok with the GMs. At near 25 years in game, he's watched hundreds (maybe thousands) of characters zoom to capped.

If I ever do take up scripting, you can bet that whatever implementation I create will include the ability to detect (and report) changes in the rooms he has been through. It would be kind of neat setting up something that allows a script (and a big honking build-as-you-wander-database) to portray environment memory, by character.

No regrets though.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Good gods 03/04/2018 02:09 PM CST
<If I ever do take up scripting, you can bet that whatever implementation I create will include the ability to detect (and report) changes in the rooms he has been through. It would be kind of neat setting up something that allows a script (and a big honking build-as-you-wander-database) to portray environment memory, by character.>

It seems to me that this would best be done with a program that analyzes .txt files to scrutinize and compare log files. Dunno if this could be done in real time as you're playing without tying it into a Lich script, but it would make creating a database a lot easier or even unnecessary.

Starchitin