Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 06/30/2017 09:49 AM CDT
Decided to hop back into the forge and work on some blades this week (I'm must be out of my dang mind!).

Out of the first 6 blades I hammered out, 2 are best pieces. Rocking! Things are looking up.

Out of the last 44 blades, 0 are best pieces and 4 were minor failures and two of those left me with too little material to re-scribe. For the love of....

I think I'll get through another 10 blades today and I'm guessing I'll see no best pieces. Most might think that's nothing, but when you have 7 hammer sessions for one blade and each session lasts 4-9 minutes (depending on material used), you only get, at most, 2 blades an hour. It's a long grueling process working some of these THW blades.

-Drumpel
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 06/30/2017 10:00 AM CDT
Forging is truly the most mind-numbingly boring experience this game has to offer in my opinion. It's definitely not something I would ever do for fun in its current state. I have mastered it though because I enjoy having weapons forged by my own character. I generally forge using my notebook while watching a movie or doing something similar but don't use scripts (they really aren't needed) so there is no AFK scripting violation (I'm paying attention when the commands are being entered every few minutes).

I've had similar runs of luck where I'll just slog through blade after blade with no positive result but then, eventually, my luck will changes and I'll produce a few. It's the nature of the current system.

I don't want perfect blades to be easier to make / even more readily available but it would be cool if we could come up with some ways to make the system more engaging / interesting overall.

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 06/30/2017 11:07 AM CDT
>Forging is truly the most mind-numbingly boring experience this game has to offer in my opinion. It's definitely not something I would ever do for fun in its current state. I have mastered it though because I enjoy having weapons forged by my own character.

I don't do it for fun. I just do it for a change of pace. All aspects of the game become slightly tedious/boring for me and I shift gears and do something else for a bit. I don't think forging is fun, but it's something different that I can kill time with. I've mastered crafting, TWH and OHE. OHE I got up into the 480some ranks and wasn't getting anymore Aha's so I took a break for a while. Came back and after a few hours here and there over a couple of weeks and only breaking 490 ranks I took another long break. Sometime about a year back I finally just pushed through mastering OHE. But that's where I stop for forging.

>I've had similar runs of luck where I'll just slog through blade after blade with no positive result but then, eventually, my luck will changes and I'll produce a few. It's the nature of the current system.

I finished the blade I was almost done with after my last post and one more after that - no best pieces. Working on another one right now that I might get lucky and finish before my rental time in the forge expires.

>I don't want perfect blades to be easier to make / even more readily available but it would be cool if we could come up with some ways to make the system more engaging / interesting overall.

I don't know....they like to make some systems more tedious and irritating. I bet the could do that with forging. Make you do every single step in the blade forging process:
get tong
hit slab with hammer
hit slab with hammer
hit slab with hammer
put slab in coals (wait for it to heat back up)
take slab from coals
put slab on anvil
hit slab with hammer
hit slab with hammer
hit slab with hammer
etc...
etc...
put blade in trough

They could include some spots where if you fail to keep up with the hammering at the right spots, you could shatter the material....or if you leave it in the fire for too long the slab could become too warped to use....or if you put the blade in the trough too soon the weapon doesn't get it's proper form and it's ruined

-Drumpel
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 06/30/2017 12:12 PM CDT
Sweet! Only took 4 dozen blades hammered out to get another best piece. On my 48th blade, best piece!

Now I'm wondering if I dare attempt for two more best pieces or just go to the vise with the 8 blades/handles that I have......

-Drumpel
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 06/30/2017 01:58 PM CDT
<I don't know....they like to make some systems more tedious and irritating. I bet the could do that with forging. Make you do every single step in the blade forging process:>

Because there's not enough temptation to just script the whole thing already (esp while learning the skill)...

I've got nothing against realism in GS, but there comes a point (which we're already well past in this case) where people are doing other stuff while the game does it's thing whether they're scripting it or waiting out stupidly long RTs. Requiring more commands to be input at specific times would just move more people over to the scripting side... and most likely more AFK scripting violations since you can't do it just anywhere while interacting with others like you can with fletching.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...then awesome-ish luck again 06/30/2017 03:48 PM CDT
I went through another 5 blades after my last best piece and decided to call it quits for now since I didn't get anymore best pieces. I took my 8 best blades/hilts and ended up with 2 perfect weapons, which is great!

However, I didn't get the perfect weapon out of the one I was hoping for, which is bad. I'll just have to try again later when I can get my hands on more ore I require.

All in all, my return was good on the vise, but my return on hammering out blades these past 4-5 days was atrocious. Nearly 60 blades and 3 best pieces...bleh. Time for another break from forging so I can keep my sanity.

-Drumpel
Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 07/02/2017 05:15 PM CDT
> It's definitely not something I would ever do for fun in its current state. I have mastered it though because I enjoy having weapons forged by my own character.

Exactly the reason I'm doing this. Once I make a perfect war sword, I highly doubt I will ever step foot into the forge again. I'll soon get to start actually working to make that perfect weapon:

In the skill of forging - crafting, you are a master with 500 ranks.
In the skill of forging - one handed edged, you are a master with 500 ranks.
In the skill of forging - two handed weapons, you are a highly skilled laborer with 474 ranks.

Re: Awesome, then horrible luck...the woes of forging 07/02/2017 07:03 PM CDT
>> Exactly the reason I'm doing this. Once I make a perfect war sword, I highly doubt I will ever step foot into the forge again. I'll soon get to start actually working to make that perfect weapon:

Best of luck with that! A lot of my character (and my wife's characters) utilize bastard swords (all forged by my dwarf, of course)! I have this weird idea that someday they'll all cap and train THW as well so they can use their weapon one handed or two handed (at present they all only use them one handed though).

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!