Quick question - mastering OHE 11/04/2016 10:44 AM CDT
For some reason I seem to recall you can't master OHE using a dagger - is this right?

I have a short sword glyph and a dagger glyph I can use....I recall using the shortsword glyph in my most recent forge trips. I'm sitting at 490 ranks in OHE. Just wondering if I can wear out the dagger glyph to master or if I have to use something bigger.

-Drumpel
Re: Quick question - mastering OHE 11/04/2016 03:36 PM CDT
>For some reason I seem to recall you can't master OHE using a dagger - is this right?

No, you can master just fine with it.

If you're optimizing, though, you want to use the glyph with the most number of forging "get tongs" cycles possible. It saves a little on bars, but more importantly, you scribe the bar less often.

A dagger, you're spending 30 second rescribing every other pull at the forge, for an average of 3 minutes and 15 seconds per pull.

If you have a 5-pull glyph like a broadsword, you're averaging 3 minutes and 5 seconds per pull.

That 10 seconds per doesn't sound like a lot, but if it takes you 500 tries to get from rank 499 to rank 500, that's around a 1 hour 20 minute difference.
Re: Quick question - mastering OHE 11/04/2016 10:21 PM CDT
I grabbed the short sword glyph and was using that today.

Went from 490 to 495 ranks. Guess I'll be hammering away at it more over the next week or so, see if I can't finish my OHE ranks.

Thanks for the follow up on my question. I didn't think it mattered what you used, but like you said, constant scribing for the dagger eats up extra time.

-Drumpel
Re: Quick question - mastering OHE 11/05/2016 12:20 PM CDT
>For some reason I seem to recall you can't master OHE using a dagger - is this right?

Also, to clarify what you were probably thinking of: you cannot use the more advanced glyphs until you have a minimum number of ranks.