Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/11/2016 06:47 PM CDT
Could we get Cestus, Paingrip, and Razorpaw weapon glyphs added?
These are some of the few weapons that aren't that detrimental to use for UAC combat.

Hazado
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/11/2016 07:58 PM CDT
I was thinking about this a few months ago when updating the Forging wiki article, and came to the conclusion that the glyphs don't exist because they don't make sense in the forging paradigm.

The "blade" part would work: cestus-studs, paingrip-spike, razorpaw-blade

But the "hilt" is the issue. All 3 of these use leather wraps or a glove to support the "blade". But in forging, you can only work with metal or wood.

The other brawling weapons that have never gotten a glyph are the blackjack and the jackblade, and those would have similar issues.

(Also, there's no glaes slabs for forging and rogues can't work with glaes lockpicks in lock mastery, because glaes is magic obsidian, not magic steel, and the techniques are completely different.)
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/11/2016 10:15 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, what's the use case for forged brawling weapons being used in unarmed combat? I certainly understand the advantage to using a particularly high-end weapon if you already have one available, but a just-forged brawling weapon is probably going to be mechanically detrimental compared to barehanded in the average case.
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/11/2016 10:49 PM CDT
I was thinking that the extra DF would actually contribute to UAC somehow.
But looking over what GSWiki says about weapons used for UAC, I don't think forged weapons actually will contribute at all.

Hazado
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/12/2016 12:11 AM CDT
The bottom-line answer is that unarmed combat works best when you are actually unarmed in almost all cases. If you have particularly good brawling weapons or are in certain rare edge cases, brawling weapons will probably help a little. On average, they're going to hurt more than they help. Which is the intent. I would have preferred to forbid brawling weapons entirely, but they had been promised in the past before I took over the system, and I decided to maintain that -- though I often wish I hadn't.
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/12/2016 05:59 AM CDT
The situations where brawling weapons can help are:

-you are low level (under 20),
-there is a property or script you just have to have and its available on a weapon but not gloves. (fusion for helping with post cap TD issues springs to mind, but I doubt its worthwhile for offensive enhancement)
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 08/12/2016 08:22 AM CDT
There's another big one:

-You don't have easy access to Brace (1214) but want to be able to parry attacks.
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 09/10/2016 01:31 AM CDT
about this...

>> On average, they're going to hurt more than they help. Which is the intent. I would have preferred to forbid brawling weapons entirely, but they had been promised in the past before I took over the system, and I decided to maintain that -- though I often wish I hadn't.

I understand the creative mindset and having a vision which aligns to your preferences, at the very least brawling weapons should allow someone to better fine tune the type of damage they inflict with punches ie: crushing for blackjacks, puncture with sais, slashing with katars ect... without some sort of penalty. Its a stretch to say that someone bare fist punching something is going to cause more damage than something with a physical and mechanical advantage over a humanoid appendage. At the very least perhaps you could make a concession for player forged brawling weapons where the quality offsets the penalty of using a weapon over bare hands. To simply come in after the fact and render a skill set which takes hours upon hours to master simply because of a personal preference seems harsh in a world where we are encouraged to imagine and bring a unique character to life.
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 09/10/2016 08:51 AM CDT
>I understand the creative mindset and having a vision which aligns to your preferences, at the very least brawling weapons should allow someone to better fine tune the type of damage they inflict with punches ie: crushing for blackjacks, puncture with sais, slashing with katars ect... without some sort of penalty.

They do that with the ATTACK verb.

This isn't easily possible in UAC, though; the systems aren't interchangable. UAC has its own crit tables that aren't crush, puncture, or slash, and the tiers aren't equivalent. PUNCH does punch crits, GRAPPLE does UAC Grapple/wrestling crits, not normal grapple crits, etc.
Re: Brawling weapon glyphs? 09/11/2016 05:13 AM CDT
>I understand the creative mindset and having a vision which aligns to your preferences, at the very least brawling weapons should allow someone to better fine tune the type of damage they inflict with punches ie: crushing for blackjacks, puncture with sais, slashing with katars ect... without some sort of penalty.

They do. There's no penalty on using brawling weapons as weapons, just on using them in UAC attacks.