Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? 05/12/2016 11:33 AM CDT
Has anyone made successful use of the boost bonus from the Gods (Eonak) when forging?

I'm curious to see how many people have made use of it, and if they had any luck.

I spent nearly 36 hours in the blacksmith over the past 3ish weeks and I had come out with 7 best handles and 5 best blades. I threw up the Eonak gift of the gods when using the vise on these 5 pairs and I ended up with 1 perfect weapon. Of course it was on a weapon made from drakar. I had just finished up the last of a slab and got a best blade on it so it went into my pile for trying a perfect weapon. I didn't really want a perfect weapon from it...but I'll take it.

-Drumpel
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? 05/12/2016 02:11 PM CDT
I've had success with it, myself. I've been just using it on the vise, as you're doing. Granted I've only attempted 2 separate perfect weapons before, as I'm still trying to master all the weapon types. I used Eonak boosts on both, though.

I was Master in THW/Crafting on a Dwarf Warrior when attempting these:

Maul (all mithril) - I had about roughly 10-11 head/haft 'best' pairs and got 2 perfects from this.
Greataxe (all mithril) - I had fewer 'best' pairs before I used the Eonak boost (I think perhaps 8?) and got 3 perfects.

Granted my character was a higher level when trying the greataxes and also the maul is likely tougher too combine due to the rarity. That might account for the greater success with the greataxes. However, I'd probably count just getting 1 perfect a success.

Nearly Mastered in Polearm forging and then all I'll have left to Master is Brawling!
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? 05/12/2016 04:36 PM CDT
I turned 11 vise attempts into 4 perfect handaxes. (Blew one up a week later enchanting while feeding a newborn in my arms and not watching my mana.)

Before that, I went 2/10 on daggers.
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? 05/20/2016 02:00 AM CDT

I did 18 vise attempts into 5 perfect mithril daggers, using 2 gifts. I also turned 3 elegant quality faenor longswords into superiors.

My next couple of attempts will be for a perfect kelyn falchion, and a perfect faenor longsword. I'm gonna try having 6 of each before I try vising them together. Odds are I'll get between 2 and 3.
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? I'm not... 06/01/2016 11:26 AM CDT
No luck for me. It takes too long to forge the weapon blades I'm working on. Over 30 hours in the forge (for this latest round of vise attempts) for 6 best blades plus about 4 or 5 hours time working on getting 5 best hilts (had 1 left over in my locker still).

I now have 6 best blades and hilts for this vise round attempts...nope, no perfect weapon.

So, in the roughly 60-70 hours of time in the forage over the past 3-4 months I've ended up with:
11 best blades: 1 drakar and 10 gornar
11 best hilts

First gift of eonak:
5 tries - 4 exquisite and 1 perfect.
Perfect is the drakar weapon (drakar was the last one I did in the round of vise attempts and wasn't even the one I wanted, it just was left over slab in my locker that I wasn't going to do anything else with)

Second gift of eonak:
6 tries - 6 exquisite.

That's way too much time with not obtaining my desired end results. I don't expect this to be easy, but going through almost 3 dozen slabs and spending over a couple mil in silver (buying oil, buy any decently priced slabs that I didn't already have plus what I picked up at the last Ebon Gate) and spending a ton of time in the forge....

This is an overly tedious system that's not very kind to the end user. The mechanical advantage of having a perfect weapon isn't that great of an advantage. It's basically just a free 1/2 enchant level (+3 AvD) on an item with a slight bump to DF (6%) - which doesn't really make a big difference if you don't hit hard enough or if the weapon is a wet noodle to begin with.

I just like the look of "perfect" in the weapon description. I was trying for a specific weapon for a character I've been wanting to start, but I wanted the perfect weapon for him to use. Guess I'll just put it all on the back burner and maybe waste more of my life at a later time down the road once more stock comes out for gornar after the next Ebon Gate or random slab generator.

-Drumpel
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? I'm not... 06/01/2016 07:18 PM CDT

>>That's way too much time with not obtaining my desired end results. I don't expect this to be easy, but going through almost 3 dozen slabs and spending over a couple mil in silver (buying oil, buy any decently priced slabs that I didn't already have plus what I picked up at the last Ebon Gate) and spending a ton of time in the forge....

yup ... that sounds like the life of a master forger.
What sort of blade are ye trying to make?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? I'm not... 06/01/2016 10:53 PM CDT
>What sort of blade are ye trying to make?

Flamberge. I always thought the look of these blades was so cool and intimidating. It was one of the first THW I used years back. Hits hard and it's easy enough to get the swing time down to 5 seconds.

With the upcoming enchanting changes, I was looking forward to maybe taking the weapon to 4x or 5x if possible since flaring weapons are supposed to become wizard enchantable - though we have to wait and see for sure.

This was something I put a some effort into a few years back as well, but didn't have any luck. Having come across 4 gornar slabs at Ebon Gate (sadly 3 weighed under 18 pounds so I only got 1 blade out of them - 9 pounds of material needed for a flamberge blade out of gornar), plus I had a couple 25lb slabs from a while back so I figured I'd try my luck some more. I found some slabs for sale at a decent price and snatched them all up. Several hours a day, usually 3 (maybe 4) days a week. So 6 to 8 attempts a week and out of those, usually 1/3 were minor failures and had to be rescribed so in the end, I'd usually get 4 to 6 blades a week and I'd average a best piece every 6-7 blades (which was pretty good, if you ask me). Hilts were a pain. I'd go 2 or 3 sessions without a best piece and then get 3 or 4 in one session.

I know you forge a lot so I don't really have to explain anymore. Just irritated with my lack of luck with all the time and effort and coins.

-Drumpel
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - I think the gods are screwing with me 06/02/2016 12:11 PM CDT
I know for a fact that I pulled every perfect blade from my locker the other day. I have them highlighted so I can't miss them.

I went into my locker this morning to put away my apron and my forging hammer since I was going to take a break for a while before picking it up again to get my weapon made. I spot, sitting at the top of my locker a finished flamberge-blade that's highlighted and sticking out at me like a sore thumb. No, this can't be...I close my locker and re-open it. The blade is still there....well, what the hell?

I pull the blade out and take it with me. I venture back to the blacksmith to rent a workshop. 10 tries to crafting a best hilt and I got one.

I polish my blade and hilt and toss up my last Gift of the Gods - Eonak version.

>turn vise
You set your flamberge-blade in the vise and turn the handle until the part is held snugly in the vise's grip.

Roundtime: 70 sec.

>Frowning in concentration, you set to work assembling your gornar flamberge-blade and steel flamberge-hilt into a well-crafted whole.

>'be perfect!
You exclaim, "Be perfect!"

>You pick up a file and file the flamberge-blade where the flamberge-hilt will fit, then try fitting them together again.

>Intent upon fitting the two pieces together, you twist the flamberge-hilt back and forth trying to fit it to the flamberge-blade.

>You pause to examine both pieces closely and then try putting them together more forcefully.

>Intent upon fitting the two pieces together, you twist the flamberge-hilt back and forth trying to fit it to the flamberge-blade.

>You pick up a file and file the flamberge-blade where the flamberge-hilt will fit, then try fitting them together again.

>You finish your work and step back, turning the gornar flamberge in your hands. You smile as you realize that this piece is probably the best that you can create.

So, who up there is messing with me? I swear I didn't have any other blades in my locker, only a couple of 7 or 8 pound slabs of gornar that are too small for what I need.

Maybe telling the parts to "Be perfect" was the trick after all? Anyway, I'm stoked! Got the blade I've put a ton of time and effort into.

-Drumpel
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? I'm not... 06/02/2016 06:49 PM CDT
My dwarven warmage made a perfect flamberge like a week ago?

I had around 4 perfect greataxes waiting to vise, and about 9 flamberges. I think I only got through the greataxes and about 6 of the flamberges on the Gift before time ran out, but I managed 1 perfect greataxe and 1 perfect flamberge.

And everyone said wizards are so janky at forging. Take that!
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? I'm not... 06/02/2016 07:12 PM CDT
Dwarf Wizard highfive!
Re: Boost; Eonak's gift of the gods - anyone use and have luck? 06/20/2016 11:13 PM CDT

My successes form gifted vise sessions, most of these were out of the full 12 sets, but I think the first two I only got 11 cause I was a bit slacking

1, 4, 2, 3, 1, 0