Master crafting first? 12/17/2015 08:36 PM CST
Been reading a lot of the older threads and see much talk about needing a 'Perfect' (preferably mithril) forging hammer for use.

As this hammer is made totally without using a forge, does it make sense to master crafting as rapidly as possible, even at the expense of doing very little forging, so that you can get this type of hammer as early as possible?

TIA
Re: Master crafting first? 12/17/2015 10:01 PM CST
My basic understanding is mastery of crafting AND forging is required to make perfect weapons, since you need a very good attempt at vicing to get the perfect weapon from two superior parts.

The preference for mithril seems to be because a magical-metal forging hammer is required to forge magical metals, and mithril is the material of choice as the generally cheapest magical metal to make it from.

To what extent the perfect hammer actually helps progress in gaining forging ranks I have not read anything.

I'm also very new to forging, so I'm mostly replying since I am also interested in the discussion, and hopefully have learned something reading and discussing the topic with others, but my replies are certainly without any authority.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Master crafting first? 12/18/2015 02:53 AM CST
You must master both crafting and a forging discipline before you can make a perfect weapon. You may create a perfect forging hammer with mastery of just crafting. Using a perfect forging hammer will not increase the rate at which you earn new forging ranks. So far as I know Logic bonus is the only thing that increases your rate of learning and it supposedly is a bonus of 20 or more required in Logic that gives the increased rate with no improvement beyond 20. Anecdotally I would agree with this as my own ranks, moreso the slower to learn ones, seem to benefit in a ranks learned per hour sense when I enhance my Logic to 20 bonus or more.

Vhorg Emberskald
Re: Master crafting first? 12/18/2015 03:00 AM CST
>So far as I know Logic bonus is the only thing that increases your rate of learning and it supposedly is a bonus of 20 or more required in Logic that gives the increased rate with no improvement beyond 20.

Sorry, do you mind clarifying this? As it reads to me, "only exactly a Logic bonus of 20 helps. Less does nothing, and numbers >20=20." I'm not reading this correctly I don't think!

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Master crafting first? 12/18/2015 09:48 AM CST
The logic bonus provides +1 to your chance at learning the threshold to receive this bonus I believe is +20 or greater to Logic.

I would just craft your little heart out until you master crafting then move on to forging. I would suggest saving the first hammer head and handle you make and early on using the that first hammer to forge, the reason is that this will lower your success rate and the amount of material you will consume while you master forging. If the cost of material or the annoyance of having to purchase more every so often doesn't concern you then the advice doesn't apply. It is important to note you can learn a skill rank even when you fail during forging and crafting. Eventually you will make a part every time you pick up the tongs or close to it, when that happens you will want to start using the slab cutter to stretch out that slab as far as possible. Eonak must be very fond of daggers cudgels lances and brawling weapons because weapon smiths seem to have a proclivity for mass producing those types early on.

anyway my two cents.

-Frorin
Re: Master crafting first? 12/18/2015 10:57 AM CST
Thanks!

Actually, I was at +18 Logic, and tossed two enhancives so it's to +20 now. It seems to be going much faster!

Re: Master crafting first? 12/18/2015 11:08 AM CST
As to the other points...

The "bad hammer" is a good idea, but I'm up to 374 ranks crafting. Not bad for 6 days I guess. But considering I just finished mastering alchemy on another character, I think buying this cheap material that's off-the-shelf is not going to phase me. I am aware from mastering fletching on another character (and my work in crafting so far) that failures are as good as successes when your goal in turning the rank handle.

>Eonak must be very fond of daggers cudgels lances and brawling weapons because weapon smiths seem to have a proclivity for mass producing those types early on.

This character worships Leya. Making piles of daggers will be lovely...oh except this is a THW character. $&@$#%!