fishing rods 10/21/2017 08:50 PM CDT
Are there fishing rods with modifiers? I mean is the rod from the shack in eg going to be better then one from mist harbor. or does it mainly rely on line?

I don't think this has been answere, of course if you don't want to answer that because it's a secret that's all good just wanting some sort of answer!
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 05:30 AM CDT
The EG gear seems capable of breaking or getting cursed in some way. I landed everything to start with using it, but am now on a streak of 6 snaps in a row while seeing others using the same gear and tactics land 30 for 0 snaps.
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 09:01 AM CDT
<< The EG gear seems capable of breaking or getting cursed in some way. I landed everything to start with using it, but am now on a streak of 6 snaps in a row while seeing others using the same gear and tactics land 30 for 0 snaps. >>

If fishing is designed around real world fishing, it's possible that line gets weaker with use just like it does in the real world.

Josh
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 11:29 AM CDT
>If fishing is designed around real world fishing, it's possible that line gets weaker with use just like it does in the real world.

If it was getting weaker that would tend to stop streaks of catches, not promote streaks of snaps. Fresh line has to be used after every snap. What I am seeing is the reverse, others continuing to make catch after catch despite using the same line time after time, while mine breaks on first use every time.
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 11:37 AM CDT

>> If it was getting weaker that would tend to stop streaks of catches, not promote streaks of snaps. Fresh line has to be used after every snap. What I am seeing is the reverse, others continuing to make catch after catch despite using the same line time after time, while mine breaks on first use every time.

While it makes no logical sense.. have you tried cycling to a new rod? It's possible that the rod has some endurance coded.

I know zero about the system, just curious if maybe there's a gremlin or something.
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 12:36 PM CDT
>While it makes no logical sense.. have you tried cycling to a new rod? It's possible that the rod has some endurance coded.

Its spoilt a couple of days play for me so far, I've tested things that were visible to me, and enough is enough. I've tried an assist to see if something invisible to the player is broken but I'm not spending any more time researching peculiarities of the way EG is set up differently from normal fishing.
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 02:54 PM CDT
Would be nice if rods had stats that were visible via lore singing or assessment. Hey, fishing as a trainable skill! Or better yet, rod and lure making.

Kerl
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 04:59 PM CDT
>>Would be nice if rods had stats that were visible via lore singing or assessment. Hey, fishing as a trainable skill! Or better yet, rod and lure making.

Or with proper achievements, a master fisherman should be able to assess them for all the details perhaps?

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: fishing rods 10/22/2017 09:09 PM CDT
Seems like there is something to it, I used one someone found dsd and it snapped my second catch. I use my metal rod and it never snaps. I've fished up 70+ spell preps and everything else, I didn't want to dig this eg so fishing has been my 3 weeks.
Re: fishing rods 10/26/2017 11:50 AM CDT
>While it makes no logical sense.. have you tried cycling to a new rod? It's possible that the rod has some endurance coded.

>Its spoilt a couple of days play for me so far, I've tested things that were visible to me, and enough is enough. I've tried an assist to see if something invisible to the player is broken but I'm not spending any more time researching peculiarities of the way EG is set up differently from normal fishing.

A GM came and looked at my gear and said it was fine, and I also picked up a rod from DSD so I tried again with that rod. Same result. The same sort of fish that I landed every time on the first day and that everyone else is landing every time SNAPs far too soon. I get a maximum of 5 and sometimes just the one tug before the line breaks, and it takes 15-20 tugs to land a fish.

This is what happens when I try to keep some slack. (If I let the fish run, it SNAPs 2-4 tugs after the slack is gone, way before the fish is tired and can be pulled in)

You suddenly feel a brief tug on your line, and then swift pulling motions as you yank the rod to set the hook! The fishing rod dips slightly as the catch on the line weaves back and forth!
>weigh rod
Your fishing rod weaves wildly and bends a bit!

>
You carefully examine the fishing rod and determine that the weight is about 17 pounds.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>look at rod
The fishing rod has currently been cast out into the distance.

The line appears to have been cast a good distance away.

Judging by the rather frantic, tiny twitches from the line, you can tell your lure is skimming the surface of the water.

The line periodically zigzags back and forth, signalling quite clearly that there's a catch on the end! Better bring the line in!
>
Your fishing rod zigzags back and forth wildly as the catch on the end of the line struggles and strains!

>cman surg
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength.
You feel significantly stronger.
>look at rod

Judging by the rather frantic, tiny twitches from the line, you can tell your lure is skimming the surface of the water.

The line periodically zigzags back and forth, signalling quite clearly that there's a catch on the end! Better bring the line in!
>pull rod
You tug sharply on your fishing rod and it bends sharply several times in twitching succession!

Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>
Your fishing rod shakes and twitches as its tip bends down quite far!

R>look at rod

R>look at rod

>
You feel fully energetic again.
>
Your fishing rod dips down a bit and proceeds to twitch visibly!

>look at rod

The line appears to have been cast a very long distance away.

>pull rod
>
You tug sharply on your fishing rod and it dips down a bit and proceeds to twitch visibly!

Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
Your fishing rod dips down a bit and proceeds to twitch visibly!

R>look at rod

>
Your fishing rod wavers frantically and makes sharp zigzag motions!

>look at rod

>

>pull rod
Your fishing rod whips back and forth wildly!

>
You tug hard on the fishing rod, but the massive amount of resistance on the end of the line causes your fishing rod to bend sharply, and you fail to bring in any more line!

Your line suddenly twists and then breaks with a sharp, poignant SNAP!
Roundtime: 20 sec.
Re: fishing rods 10/26/2017 12:00 PM CDT
What is your strength stat and bonus? What wire are you using?
Re: fishing rods 10/26/2017 02:05 PM CDT
>What is your strength stat and bonus? What wire are you using?

EG wire (twisted fibre, which worked fine on the first day I had it, caught 3 around 20ish taking around 15-20 tugs to pull in, its subsequent to that that I've had the very quick snaps)
Giant with 100 stat, bonus 40-54 depending on how much enhancive was active at any particular time. Typically 48

My experience with normal fishing is that surge is worth about a couple extra pounds on the size of fish I can land, so I've been using that unless the line snapped before I had a chance to put it up.
Re: fishing rods 10/27/2017 11:38 AM CDT
I've had the line snap streaks but mostly on my other giant with only 20 some strength bonus and no surge. He can lose a fish Fyre could probably catch no problem. I left the eg bought rod on the alt and dug out my altered fishing rod from the farming festival we got to from River's Rest several years ago. That rod seems to work about perfect. I havent had nearly as much time using it but my luck seems way better. For my alt with the eg rod sometimes he will get snaps on a relatively fresh line even when the fish isin't overly big and no strain message happened. It can even happen when the meassaging is showing the fish is losing.

I'm sure Wyrom said the line does degrade, that is fine but in rl if my line gets too old i'll take it off my reel and put new line on. Or if part of it gets messed up cut off the bad bit and use whats left. It would be a nice and logical quality of life improvement to let us inspect the line and replace it at will. It's even worse when every single rod seems to come with default crap line that will snap instantly. You are forced to be guaranteed to lose your first fish and there is nothing you can do about it. Considering that I think it was said the fish and prize are determined when the fish first bites that not only means wasted time, that means you could be losing a t6 to something you can do nothing about.

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""