From the archives 10/09/2017 09:02 AM CDT
By: BOGARRAGOB
Re: Fishing
On 8/26/2005
At: 12:34:03 PM
## 206

There are two types of fishing area's in Gemstone.

1) The tymaria hollow pond. Its in the premium neighbor hood. To use that one you need to buy a rod from the old man at the dock. It costs 10k (silvers only I believe). There you can only fish from the dock, and with one of those special rods from there.

2)They fishing system, which currently exists in Veythrone manor (illistim, weekend elves only, weekdays any race can enter) and the Brine Lake (zul'logoth premium neighbor hood, anyone can enter at any time).

These fishing system areas you need to go to the shop that is at the area and buy a rod, line (as the original line snaps easily), some lures (however many you want, i'd say at least two so when the line snaps you do not need to row all the way back to the shop), weights, and a chest.

The chest is used to store the fish you catch, and keep them "fresh". If you don't have the chest you can't really store the fish. They will eventually wriggle free of whatever container, or rot. I forget the times, but the only way to keep a fish is to really put it in one of the chests, which freezes the fish.

These two area's also have rowboats you can get in. They are free of charge. And are accessed by go boat. Once on the boat in order to move directions you row <direction>. It gets a little annoying when you move far away and want to stop fishing, rowing takes time. Multiple people can get in a boat, only one can row. Well more then one can, but I believe only one persons row counts. As you have to row 3-4 times in order to move a "room".

You can change out your lure and weight at any time from your rod. The size of the weight works with different lures. Depending on if they are for the surface, middle, or the bottom/deep. The small weight is for putting the lure in the deep, tiny weight is for the middle, and no weight is for the surface. Each lure has a "best" depth, but can be used at any depth. Some lures, like the nightcrawler work at good at any depth.

The shops where you buy your equipment also have a book that lists all the fish in the lake. You can flip the book to turn the page (or maybe turn book). An interesting read.

When you catch a fish, you can take it back to dry land, and cut it up. Well might be able to do it on the boat, but i've never tried. When you cut the fish up it will turn it into a "fillet of <fish type>" or if you can cut it more then once, the fillet and a "slab of <fish type". Just cut the slab again to create another fillet. You need to use a dagger type weapon.

Once you cut the fish up you can cook it. Which turns it into a "crispy fillet of <fish type>" and gives it just standard taste messaging, which is the same for each fish type.

Now when you cut it up, it looses the show description of the fish, and the ability to say you caught a 15 pound bass. So it is probaly easier to just wait to your on land to cut it up.

All in all it will cost about 75-100k I think, depending on how much you by. The chests are the biggest cost. They have two sizes, a small and a large. I don't know how much they hold, but with the large I never ran out of room. What did happen is I ran out of carrying capacity. My chest got so full I did not have the strength to lift it anymore, so I gave up fishing at that time. (was about 8 hours of fishing heh)

Thats pretty much it for number 2.

Also Ebon's gate I believe has or at least last year had a new style fishing pond. Also under the PRO system, any organization can (once eligible) build a fishing pond in their building. So you can use the new style stuff there.

Solhaven was said to be planned on getting a new style area, and i've heard talk about river's rest. So investing in the new style equipment is not a bad idea, just right now there are only two permenant areas, even if one can only be accessed by certain races at certain times.

-player of hakwea
Re: From the archives 10/09/2017 09:44 AM CDT
>These two area's also have rowboats you can get in. They are free of charge. And are accessed by go boat. Once on the boat in order to move directions you row <direction>. It gets a little annoying when you move far away and want to stop fishing, rowing takes time. Multiple people can get in a boat, only one can row. Well more then one can, but I believe only one persons row counts. As you have to row 3-4 times in order to move a "room".

Only the group leader can row. It takes 6 ROWs and their associated RT to move. It is indeed <expletive deleted> annoying and quite capable of inflicting RSI injuries on a player that gets stuck in the larger areas that use this movement system.
Re: From the archives 10/09/2017 09:51 AM CDT
"Only the group leader can row." -- RathboneR

Everybody else in the boat is encouraged to do their Naamit imitation, and--in the immortal words of Devo--"Ca-rack that whip!"
(Whether or not they yell, "Stroke!" to go with it is left up to them. :)
Re: From the archives 10/09/2017 10:11 AM CDT
>(Whether or not they yell, "Stroke!" to go with it is left up to them. :)

Another of the annoyance of boats is that the boat script traps verbs that would normally be available for RP so even if they yell for it, they may not get it. ;)

The advantage of boated spots is that room adds another variable to cast and depth for a much greater variety of fish, but the mechanics of them really are a pain. Gear management is more awkward too as well as the loss of RP verbs and RSI injuries to the player.