Cavernhold 02/16/2015 03:12 PM CST

So, now that we have a wiki for GS, it seems a good time to figure out how to make pre-wiki work available to the wiki. <babble>

The material is histories of Cavernhold as theorized by dwarven historian Thuunk. Thuunk has centered his life in Elanthia around investigating Cavernhold, and is a student of the wider history of Elanthia.

Current versions are available at:
1) http://fitnezzjim.hubpages.com/hub/History-of-Cavernhold-1-of-2 (short link http://hub.me/a6hKx)
2) http://fitnezzjim.hubpages.com/hub/History-of-Cavernhold-2-of-2 (short link http://hub.me/a6De2)

Short links are not a dwarf joke, but are an alternative linking mechanism.

Anyway, the question is, can we link to these from the wiki? Or do they have to be imported somehow? As much writing as I've done in my life (not much), I've never done a wiki article. (nor thankfully, has a wiki done me)

Help or guidance is requested. Even better, if someone knows how to do it, or wants to practice, I would be all for it.

Thuunk
Re: Cavernhold 02/16/2015 06:18 PM CST

ok, I played with the wiki, and now there is a little bit of stuff out there about Cavenrhold.
I think it is a mess tho, and as the zombies of Potter Field might say 'needs style'.

Thuunk
Re: Cavernhold 02/16/2015 08:20 PM CST
>ok, I played with the wiki, and now there is a little bit of stuff out there about Cavenrhold.
>I think it is a mess tho, and as the zombies of Potter Field might say 'needs style'.

>Thuunk

I created a separate page for your article and removed the external links from the main page. Very well written! Please review it when you have a chance. Also, post here or use the article's Discussion tab if you want any corrections, additions etc.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/A_history_of_Cavernhold

The Cavernhold main page needs some work. I'll start on that now. Any comments about the article should be placed on the article's talk page (Discussion tab) and signed there, not on the main page. I'll just reorganize it a bit but it will still need additional content.

You can use the link below as a 'guide' for the main article. It's not a template and you should feel free to include different sections or other information that you deem appropriate. If you need help with organizing it, place a comment on the talk page or post here. Thanks.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Coastal_Cliffs

Mark
Re: Cavernhold 02/17/2015 06:31 AM CST

>>The Cavernhold main page needs some work. I'll start on that now. Any comments about the article should be placed on the article's talk page (Discussion tab) and signed there, not on the main page. I'll just reorganize it a bit but it will still need additional content.

It looks like you got the whole story. Well done, and thank you. Somehow, it seems right that it is on the wiki now. The only advantage I can think of to it being over on a more widely viewed web-site is that folks may be drawn in to try the game. Not sure that it had any affect while it has been there though, since the pages have only recorded something like 300 views in the past five years.

I note that the bestiary does not have gnoll miners. Here is a quick capture of the miners at the mine.

[Cavernhold, Crystal Mine]
The crystals sprouting from the far wall of this sprawling cavern give off a light of their own in a shifting rainbow of color. Drops fall in a quick, steady pace from the top of the cavern and land in a very deep puddle below the wall. The path leading towards the crystals has been well-worn by many gnollish feet. You also see a gnoll miner, a gnoll miner, a gnoll miner and a large crank attached to a heavy water wheel that pours out into a raised trough.

You see a fairly typical gnoll miner.
He appears to be in good shape.
He has a simple shoulder pack (worn), some dusty working leathers (worn) and a mining pick.

A gnoll miner dutifully picks away at the crystal wall. After a few moments, he carefully takes a small rainbow crystal and places it in his shoulder pack.

The gnoll miner is about three feet tall and vaguely man-like. Gnolls in general have a dwarven or gnomish appearance, but are markedly different in a way that can't quite be pin-pointed. This particular gnoll is part of the working class with well-muscled arms and callused hands. There is little doubt that the gnoll would be a formidable opponent if the need should arise, or if backed into a corner.

formidable indeed, they once took down a twenty-five training dwarven warrior who had attacked them by mistake

It is not wise to interrupt them in their task.

The bestiary also does not list the gnoll fishermen. It turns out that fishermnen are a really old memory. They have been replaced by gnoll workers that carry fishing knives.

[Cavernhold, Lake Shore]
This is the southeastern shore of the underground lake. Several sand castles, in various stages of completion, are scattered about and indicate to you that this area must be a favorite with the younger gnolls.

You see a fairly typical gnoll worker.
He appears to be in good shape.
He has some working leathers (worn) and a fish-gutting knife.

I removed the reference to gnoll fishermen from the wiki page, but am not sure how to add information about the miners.

Thuunk
Re: Cavernhold 02/17/2015 06:53 AM CST
Really great stuff. Enjoyed reading it.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Cavernhold 02/17/2015 11:27 AM CST

Thank you.

Thanks should go to SPYRIDONM1 also. I shared links to some old existing articles I had out on the web, and he brought them into the wiki. He also re-formatted my really rough draft for Cavernhold introductory content into a clean looking page. I probably would have been another week or more figuring out all the syntax and style guides and what-not for that, and I probably would have left the articles as links.

There seems to be a big advantage to bringing pre-worked content into the wiki and have someone knowledgable with the rules work with it. I noted on some of the other forums that it looks like folks are working to bring what they know to the wiki, but the posts here make it look like they are trying to work the same content simultaneously, and having some trouble with it. That is a classic problem for just about anyway software development, even in more controlled environments.

I got lucky, and owe the thanks to SPYRIDONM1 for doing the import, and making the whole effort easy.

Thuunk
Re: Cavernhold 02/17/2015 08:58 PM CST
Ditto, thanks to both of you for collecting this into one spot, it's very informative and interesting!

/seo/
Re: Cavernhold 02/18/2015 05:39 AM CST

Thank you, thank you.

Thinking back and looking over the full content, they may be missing that one piece of crucial information that seems to be accepted in-game by most of us who have been playing for years. That is this:

"Don't visit Cavernhold without an experienced guide".

Thuunk
Re: Cavernhold 02/18/2015 08:39 PM CST
Super! I would have definitely jumped up to volunteer to help import to gswiki as well, but I took a break from the forums the past week.

Excellent stuff.

Any further posts with this signature will be removed.