Back for a while. 04/07/2015 09:35 AM CDT

Alright, I'm back for at least a month, but I'm not happy about it.

Received the promotion email saying that GSIV was now free, which I've been telling Simu they need to do for years, and thought that it was truly and finally Free to Play as it should be. I thought I was going to see a bit of a revival and that we'd get some new faces in to enjoy the game and share the experience with.

I went and posted the false news all over the place and invited people to come and experience the first truly successful MMO, bragged about all everything GSIV has to offer, went on and on about various things in it's history etc... And then in the process of reactivating my account I find that there is no true Free to Play option, that it's just a change so that you aren't required to submit a credit card for the 30 day trial. So I'll be spending the next month apologizing to all of the people I've just brought into the game while at the same time showing them around.

That was a bit of a dirty play with the formatting of that email. I've already taken care of the false information I spread around, but I won't be recommending anyone keep their accounts active beyond the 30 day trial until GSIV goes F2P. You guys are choking the life out of this game by walling it off, and I can't stand to watch it die slowly like this. Open it up and breathe some life into the community, and I will make sure that everyone and their kith and kin knows where to find you.
Re: Back for a while. 04/07/2015 11:29 AM CDT
Actually, we do now have a F2P option which a player can play indefinitely. Since it's free, it does come with specific restrictions which are lifted if the individual desires to upgrade to a paying account.

Here's info on it:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/F2P

You can sign up for it on the front page, www.play.net/gs4. You will not have access to your previous characters, though, if you upgrade, you can take the character you play under F2P with you.

GM Scribes
Re: Back for a while. 04/07/2015 03:44 PM CDT

Yeah, not quite. That's not a F2P model, that's a preview model with an option to subscribe. Nothing has changed. The requirement of a CC number was not keeping new players from trying the game, but those arbitrary restrictions will certainly keep them from thinking about subscribing. But this isn't the place to get into that. It's not an acceptable business model, so I can't recommend it.

Sorry guys, but please try to look at the F2P models that actually work, and make companies money because they work. They are directly applicable to GS4.
Re: Back for a while. 04/07/2015 05:54 PM CDT
Personally, I rather like this way. I am not an F2P player, but I would prefer to try a game for free (and have the option to continue to play for free forever) without the whole give us your CC info and if you decide to stay, we will charge you the start of your second month! Then you go about your life, cause ya know, we have those outside the game, and forget. Miss the 1 month deadline by a half day but too late, they already charged you! Try again next month. This way you get to try the nuances of the game, talk to and RP with long time players and get a taste. Then YOU get to decide if you want to pay to play.

This isn't normal!
What do you mean this isn't normal!?!
This is way worse!!