A question about penalties for F2P. 05/27/2015 11:35 PM CDT
So. I have spoken with players. I have spoken with gods, and now I am speaking here.

When F2P was first released, one of the first things I saw, which immediately dissuaded me from rolling an actual character I was going to hunt and level, was the fact that someone said they got pulled for scripting, and were in the process of being permanently banned. No prior warning.

In the last couple days, I am now being told by players that F2P now get a one-warning grace *maybe it fades like normal accounts, but it's still a one-off?*, and THEN they get permbanned. Is this true?

I spoke with a GM, and they said to post here on the officials to get a definitive answer on whether or not changes have been made, are being made, and the progress of any such changes.

I own very expensive items on my paid account. I'd want to put some of my toys on my F2P to make it fun for them. I will not do that if they risk being permbanned for ONE stupid incident.

I went zero to cap and got script checked 5 or 6 times in total. I never missed a check, I never was afk. That being said, I script. And I'm happy to script. Because I'm not an AFK scripter. But lag bombs happen. Crashes happen. All sorts of things CAN happen. And an insta-permban is not something I'd risk 9 digit silver items over.

Looking forward to a response. Thanks for reading.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 08:28 AM CDT
I am generally skeptical of anyone who says--anywhere, not just here... but certainly here, too--that they never got any warning or interaction for <whatever behavior they want to do>. Further investigation typically reveals that they have indeed been talking with their regulatory agency, board of directors, franchise owner, shift manager, teacher, playground monitor, or whatever.

With that said, though... if it were my game, the answer is, "No, I would feel no qualms about applying a different standard of behavior [read: stricter expectations and/or harsher responses] to F2P accounts than to paid subscriptions." Because snerts happen. AOL's free disk/free time proved that to a fare-thee-well.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 10:32 AM CDT
Dear Boss,

I know I've never stolen from you, but I'd like some assurances that you won't fire me in the unlikely event that I do decide to steal from you and am caught. I'm just saying, things can happen.

Sincerely,
Employee

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 10:35 AM CDT
Why shouldn't F2P AFK Scripters be on a zero tolerance policy? They've got no real skin in the game, it takes 5 seconds to roll up another character and start scripting.

Still, if what you are claiming is true, you shouldn't have to worry "Because I'm not an AFK scripter" as you put it. If there was lag, the game isn't accepting your input, not sure how a crash would get you a warning either. A decent GM would give you ample opportunity to respond to a script check, especially if a permaban is on the other side.

That being said, POLICY 18 does not differentiate between subscription levels, so to me, that means they are treated equally in terms of penalties. If the policy has changed, it should be updated to reflect that.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 10:37 AM CDT
F2P is not made for migrating paying players to a free-play system. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Keep your toys on your paid account if you don't want to lose them because of the necessary tighter restrictions on F2P accounts.

Malikh runs around in little circles, nodding his head so that the wings of his yellow duck hat flap in the wind. Does he think he is going to fly or something?
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 10:51 AM CDT
. . . and I'd still kind of like to see the official response.

Not that I disagree with anyone - no, wait. . .pick yourselves up, relax. Really, it's ok. . .

Doug
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 11:50 AM CDT

<,That being said, POLICY 18 does not differentiate between subscription levels, so to me, that means they are treated equally in terms of penalties. If the policy has changed, it should be updated to reflect that.>>

WINNER!
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 12:16 PM CDT
To Lystra - Why don't you shove everything in your locker Arctal-style so you never risk misplacing it, and then walk around with a heavy backpack and a dagger you got off sea nymphs? That made zero sense, and wasn't the point. My toys make my game more fun. A hedgehog here, a duck there, a high-end container for a burger gnome. All things that add small benefits that make you smile while playing. Walking around with a heavy backpack may be all you. It isn't all me. Simple as that. I want to know what the restrictions are. I'm not trying to get around them.

To Penningtonb1 - I want to know what the restrictions are. I'm not trying to get around them.

To Kronious - If you're running a script, and you crash, the game keeps going. Without you. If your internet suddenly bombs out, your character does not leave immediately. In fact, if it's a true crash, you stay in game somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes. I know, because sitting at a merchant playing two accounts, crashing out, coming back on 1, and then watching the other sit there AFK until he crashed out. In rest mode, mind you, so he stayed until the character, I assume, desynced from the server. If you're running a script, it keeps inputting for a time. Not a situation I'd want to risk on a zero tolerance policy with special items. And I have read POLICY 18. I agree it looks pretty cut and dry. But I as well wanted a GM to respond so I know exactly where they stand, in case the POLICY has simply not been updated quite yet.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 02:32 PM CDT
Hedgehogs and ducks and the usual large capacity containers (especially on a gnome without an encumbrance potion and item limit pass, LOL) aren't 100m items. If you're running around with 100m items, then surely you can afford to pay the additional 15$ a month for a regular account if you're THAT concerned about it. That's depriving yourself of a couple cups of Starbucks for an entire month of enjoyment.

Quite frankly the whole topic of AFK scripting and the punishments have been beaten like a red-headed step child sitting on the back of a dead horse.

If you don't want to risk your precious toys being taken from you for the infinitesimal chance that you would 1) actually be scripting attended, 2) that your connection to the game crashed, 3) that you weren't able to log back in, 4) that your script kept on going, 5) that a GM was alerted to your behavior, 6) that said GM tried to discern whether you were really AFK or not... Well then, write better scripts that don't keep going after the connection is severed, or don't script in the first place.

Additionally, in this day and age you have other means of communication. If 1-3 happen, you should be making every effort to keep your rear end out of a sling - unless of course you're off doing whatever and you're AFK.

Malikh runs around in little circles, nodding his head so that the wings of his yellow duck hat flap in the wind. Does he think he is going to fly or something?
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 04:09 PM CDT
Why are you guys coming here and answering the question like you have any kind of authority to give an official response to a policy question?

Maybe curb your irrational anger at somebody who uses scripts and let, I don't know, a SIMU employee answer questions about SIMU policy.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 05:39 PM CDT
>Why are you guys coming here and answering the question like you have any kind of authority to give an official response to a policy question?

>Maybe curb your irrational anger at somebody who uses scripts and let, I don't know, a SIMU employee answer questions about SIMU policy.

I use scripts, and I have been busted a few times for violation of policy. However, I don't use scripts in a way that might cause someone else issues any more because of it, and every time that I was caught? I was AFK, and the GM busted me fair and square. Did I get away with it for a long time beforehand? Yep. Did I run into the issue of being disconnected and my script running along without me? Not that I can recall, but I'm being generous and giving the benefit of the doubt that it could actually happen. I'm so irrational! Much anger! Very wow!

Do I think F2P restrictions on scripting need to be MORE not less? Yes, yes, yes - did I mention Yes? You are playing for FREE. As Kronius said, it only takes a few minutes to roll up another free account and go merrily on your scripting way, depriving PAYING players of resources, whether they be items in game, a few more hamsters to keep the servers running, or actual GM time. It's like demanding additional free scoops of ice cream

Between Krakii, Kronius, Sepher and myself, we've got a considerable amount of knowledge under our belts - a half-hearted guess would be 60 years total play? We've discussed these very same topics with staff in person, over IM, email, and on these boards for the past 20-some years. The wiki that is linked to from the front page was originally named Krakiipedia - for a very good reason, the man's an amazing resource of information about the game. We may not be on staff, but this is not exactly a private conversation between the OP and Simutronics. If OP posted his question to feedback@simutronics.com then there would be no open discussion. These forums are just one of the ways that we as players can argue for or against policy change, and how the game moves forward.

Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 06:36 PM CDT

<<Do I think F2P restrictions on scripting need to be MORE not less? Yes, yes, yes - did I mention Yes? You are playing for FREE. As Kronius said, it only takes a few minutes to roll up another free account and go merrily on your scripting way, depriving PAYING players of resources, whether they be items in game, a few more hamsters to keep the servers running, or actual GM time. It's like demanding additional free scoops of ice cream>>

You have admitted to being caught AFK scripting multiple times. Perhaps it is YOU, who should face more restriction. And LOL @ depriving paying players of resources.

<<Between Krakii, Kronius, Sepher and myself, we've got a considerable amount of knowledge under our belts - a half-hearted guess would be 60 years total play? We've discussed these very same topics with staff in person, over IM, email, and on these boards for the past 20-some years. The wiki that is linked to from the front page was originally named Krakiipedia - for a very good reason, the man's an amazing resource of information about the game. We may not be on staff, but this is not exactly a private conversation between the OP and Simutronics. If OP posted his question to feedback@simutronics.com then there would be no open discussion. These forums are just one of the ways that we as players can argue for or against policy change, and how the game moves forward. >>

Even with all of that "knowledge", you're still not staff, and nothing you say is more than opinion. You might try acting less like a know-it-all and let someone official chime in with an answer.

As it stands, Policy 8 states what the rules are, without any exceptions or special rules for F2P accounts.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 07:37 PM CDT
<<To Kronious - If you're running a script, and you crash, the game keeps going. Without you. If your internet suddenly bombs out, your character does not leave immediately. In fact, if it's a true crash, you stay in game somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes. I know, because sitting at a merchant playing two accounts, crashing out, coming back on 1, and then watching the other sit there AFK until he crashed out. In rest mode, mind you, so he stayed until the character, I assume, desynced from the server. If you're running a script, it keeps inputting for a time. Not a situation I'd want to risk on a zero tolerance policy with special items. And I have read POLICY 18. I agree it looks pretty cut and dry. But I as well wanted a GM to respond so I know exactly where they stand, in case the POLICY has simply not been updated quite yet.>>

If you're running a script, and you crash, the game keeps going without you. Yep. What scripts are you running that keep going when you crash? Last time I checked, standing still with no input does not make you an afk scripter. If you crash, you are no longer putting commands into the game, you'll go linkdead eventually. Still not seeing the problem here.

POLICY 18 needs an update.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 08:31 PM CDT
>You have admitted to being caught AFK scripting multiple times. Perhaps it is YOU, who should face more restriction. And LOL @ depriving paying players of resources.

Let's explore this for a moment, shall we? I'm restricted just like everyone else is by policy. If I violate it and am caught, I expect to pay the price, which is to be expected. I did the crime, I did the time, just like in real life. Crazy huh? What you're suggesting is that somehow, years after the fact and the punishment has been served, I should pay MORE. That's absurd, and you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting it.

The game that you see now is a result of +20 years of coding, and while Krakii is more of the math wiz, lets do some basic figuring here.

20 years = 7300 days. If we give a rough estimate of 5 reports per day of AFK scripting, that's 36,500 reports. Using our 5 minute average amount of time (probably quite incorrect, because I'm not factoring in feedback complaints, phone calls to staff in billing, etc.) we're at 182500 minutes, which is roughly 3000 hours. That's basically a year and a half working at a 9-5 job. That time could be spent coding things for our enjoyment, making F2P better, bringing Savants online, finishing guilds, spell lists, and that's really just the tip of the iceberg.

If I fail an AFK check as an F2P, then what do I lose? Little to nothing. Currently, the only thing you can take away is the character itself. F2P from a strictly business perspective is to attract and 'flip' new players into paying subscribers, to draw old players back into the fold, or possibly even to test the viability of a particular build - and none of those need uber gear. If you have other ideas as to what the purpose of F2P is, by all means, do share.

>Even with all of that "knowledge", you're still not staff, and nothing you say is more than opinion. You might try acting less like a know-it-all and let someone official chime in with an answer.

You're upset because you're ringing the doorbell and not getting any answer, when the neighbors are telling you that the occupant is away. I'm sure that eventually a NIR will post here, but they might just be watching this drama unfold and eating popcorn. Why would they do that? Probably because it's the most argued subject out there, while the well-meaning people (those darn neighbors, what do they know!) who try to explain in polite terms get insulted by oh-so-charming members of society who feel entitled to something that they shouldn't be.

>As it stands, Policy 8 states what the rules are, without any exceptions or special rules for F2P accounts.

You mean Policy 18. Policy 8 is concerning Simu's response to delays and slowdowns. ;) F2P is new, and Simu tends to be a little slow when implementing new rules for policy. This discussion may even be a part of the deciding factor of what those rules could be, so you might be able to sway the PTB to your way of thought. I'd suggest using logic, they seem to like that sort of thing.

If you want to script without being annoyed by all these pesky rules, I would suggest playing Shattered. I hear the poop fountain is marvelous in its odoriferousness this time of year!

Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 08:35 PM CDT
Actually, I have sent an email to feedback@simutronics.com already. I posted here as well because I wasn't the only one who was curious about this when I asked the question across LNet and the GM who I asked did not know the exact answer. Hence the post.

To Kronius - I was running a gem purifying script with a bard. I had a friend picking boxes at the table enmasse while this was happening, and we both happened to be playing clash of clans on our mobile devices. *Me on iPad, him on whatever he's on*. I said I crashed, blayaddayaddablah. He said I was still going. He counted 7 gems that I purified before I came back into the game.

That may seem like a very small amount of gems, but to purify properly, it takes approximately 45 seconds, to up to a minute and thirty seconds to max out a gem. So it was anywhere from seven to ten minutes of me NOT being there. Any GM would have NO problem yanking you for that. Thankfully, I have not experienced this sort of crash while hunting, but I acknowledge it CAN happen. And I want clarification. And yes, Kronius, I 100% agree that POLICY 18 needs an update, and specific clarifications on the F2P accounts especially. But I'm biased, since I want to play F2P as well as my paid account.

To Lystra - Seriously, you're throwing up how long you've played and been on these boards? I'm 31 years old just a week ago. My father was a GEnie customer. I played on his lap when I was a pup. I was like 11 or somewhere thereabouts. Up until today off and on. Does that make me any better than you? Or worse? Are you going to act all privileged because you troll these boards looking to be toxic to people asking questions? Nobody's trying to get away with anything, nobody's trying to undermine what you believe in. It was a question. Remove your 60 year long ego and either be a part of the conversation, or don't. This thread has gone from something I was genuinely interested in an answer to, to a 'screw it' sort of situation because people like you decide to throw down their creep card and act smarmy for no reason. I would go on, but there's no point. I will simply reiterate that I am not trying to bypass a rule. I am not trying to be sneaky. I am trying to get an answer. If you can provide that answer, then you are amazing and I applaud your knowledge. If you can't, I would appreciate you being less aggressive for zero reason, and more helpful and curious to the answer, since you do not know it.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:06 PM CDT
<<That may seem like a very small amount of gems, but to purify properly, it takes approximately 45 seconds, to up to a minute and thirty seconds to max out a gem. So it was anywhere from seven to ten minutes of me NOT being there. Any GM would have NO problem yanking you for that. Thankfully, I have not experienced this sort of crash while hunting, but I acknowledge it CAN happen. And I want clarification. And yes, Kronius, I 100% agree that POLICY 18 needs an update, and specific clarifications on the F2P accounts especially. But I'm biased, since I want to play F2P as well as my paid account.

Just to chime in on something specifically, purifying gems is a spell that causes a beneficial outcome (beyond failures) and as such if you are caught AFK scripting it it would garner the same penalties as any other scrpting abuse policy violation. Not to point at anyone specifically, but just stating this as a clarification for any that may seem to think it isn't against policy to AFK script this specific spell.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:21 PM CDT
I understand. I wasn't afk during it. I was watching the gems purify and playing clash of clans while the script ran, both at the computer. And me and my friend were chatting while he picked boxes. I was explaining what the situation was that caused me to afk script purify 7 gems. Which, I will freely admit, happened. It was not intentional, but it was quite a stressful few minutes.

I appreciate the response, Aulis. Any chance you have any information on the original question in this thread? Maybe? Please? With kittens on top?

And afk purifying gems is NOT okay! It's long hard work, especially when you're prepping a 200 deep sack of gems for sale as a bag full of orbs!
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:38 PM CDT
>>These forums are just one of the ways that we as players can argue for or against policy change, and how the game moves forward.

There is no arguing for or against policy changes going on, there is simply people overstepping themselves and trying to speak for SIMU on a policy matter.

I've been playing this game for over a decade too, you're not special there. I'm curious how you've been discussing policy regarding F2P accounts with staff for 20-some years.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:44 PM CDT
>To Lystra - Seriously, you're throwing up how long you've played and been on these boards? I'm 31 years old just a week ago. My father was a GEnie customer. I played on his lap when I was a pup. I was like 11 or somewhere thereabouts. Up until today off and on. Does that make me any better than you? Or worse? Are you going to act all privileged because you troll these boards looking to be toxic to people asking questions? Nobody's trying to get away with anything, nobody's trying to undermine what you believe in. It was a question. Remove your 60 year long ego and either be a part of the conversation, or don't. This thread has gone from something I was genuinely interested in an answer to, to a 'screw it' sort of situation because people like you decide to throw down their creep card and act smarmy for no reason. I would go on, but there's no point.

First, I was explaining to LEDBETTERM why the people who responded might know a bit about the game, and the reason why the responses were what they were - those comments were not directed at you. If you read the boards in threaded view you would see that it was in reply to his post. I could compare my 20+ years to your 9 digit silver items; I'll bet you know those items inside and out and you made it your business. If anyone were to ask you about them, I'm sure you could rattle that info off in your sleep. It's not ego, it just happens to be something that you know.

Second, "If the policy has changed, then the documentation needs to reflect that", would have been sufficient. I am on board with that 110%, and I would even go so far as to say that ALL of the players regardless of pay/free status would agree with it. My advice in the future? Don't muddy the waters with "but I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that they got banned" and then share details that are suspicious in nature. Be clear, be concise, and if you DO decide to share information that could be construed as trying to circumvent the system, try to keep an open mind about opinions that are different than your own.

>I will simply reiterate that I am not trying to bypass a rule. I am not trying to be sneaky. I am trying to get an answer. If you can provide that answer, then you are amazing and I applaud your knowledge. If you can't, I would appreciate you being less aggressive for zero reason, and more helpful and curious to the answer, since you do not know it.

I'm all for getting answers, and I've been interested in this particular answer since they released F2P. I am unable to change your mind for you about how aggressive I may or may not be, as the saying goes: "I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you understand it."

PS: Happy birthday!
PPS: I'm curious how you got GS+scripting to work on an iPad, since that would make my life much easier, and my lap much cooler.

Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:51 PM CDT
It was quite simple. I play the iPad while I'm sitting in my computer chair at my computer.

Anyone that can get Gemstone to work on an iPad, or any sort of tablet device, with any sort of efficiency, is an amazing person and I want their autograph.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 09:56 PM CDT
I'm really curious how a script continued to run after your game crashed. How does that work, exactly?

~ GtG
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/28/2015 10:20 PM CDT
<<<Anyone that can get Gemstone to work on an iPad, or any sort of tablet device, with any sort of efficiency, is an amazing person and I want their autograph.>>>

I do it all the time. The best method is simply to connect to my desktop via TeamViewer. I get full access to macros, scripts and even both monitors so I can easily swap between two characters. It's a free solution that works great.

I have also successfully played on my iPad via the web portal on Chrome. It took a little prep time to set up macros, but it was quite playable and enjoyable. Obviously, it's not the full game experience we're accustomed to, but it can work. Unless, of course, you're so totally dependent upon scripts that you can't play the game any other way.

~ GtG
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 07:28 AM CDT
<<I'm really curious how a script continued to run after your game crashed. How does that work, exactly?>>

This.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 09:40 AM CDT
>>First, I was explaining to LEDBETTERM why the people who responded might know a bit about the game

What you failed to explain is why the people who responded think that they have the authority to answer questions about new policy matters simply because they have played the game for a long time. I can paste billing info from March 1998 but I still won't be SIMU staff.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 09:52 AM CDT
LEDBETTERM, this has already been discussed. Many people have had the same sort of questions about policies, and those who have paid attention to what the GMs have said time and again are accustomed to sharing that information with others, and/or having a civil discourse about it to affect change.

If you'd like to add something useful to the conversation instead of chiming in to poke at the people who are attempting to help, I'm more than happy to discuss it with you, but this particular avenue is done.

A giantman brigand glances at you and shouts, "Ain'tcha got better things to do than pick a fight? Git lost!"
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 10:16 AM CDT
We are in the process of updating POLICY 18. We would have had this sooner, but there were a few new tools we had to build that has been delaying it. I will answer this in the next few days over in the policy discussion area of the forums.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 10:24 AM CDT
Just to put a NIR stamp on the whole, "game crashed" situation. When you crash, your internet is severed, or any other operation that makes it where the connection to GemStone IV should be lost, the only thing that can continue to happen is you ghost. Your character no longer moves. If you were running a server-saved StormFront script, there is a chance that the script will attempt to run a few more commands before your connection is lost, but that's very rare.

There is absolutely no way that your third-party software scripts can continue to run if your system crashes/internet connection is lost. And you will be warned for those cases, every single time. If you honestly feel this happens to you, stop scripting or stop using third-party software.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 11:56 AM CDT
<<To Kronius - I was running a gem purifying script with a bard. I had a friend picking boxes at the table enmasse while this was happening, and we both happened to be playing clash of clans on our mobile devices. *Me on iPad, him on whatever he's on*. I said I crashed, blayaddayaddablah. He said I was still going. He counted 7 gems that I purified before I came back into the game.>>

Either you didn't actually crash, or user error. In fact, the scenario in which you described could have gotten you a warning anyway. You claim that you were playing clash of clans on your iPad while your in-game character was scripting gems. The very first sentence of POLICY 18 states:

<<If your attention is not on the game window, you should log out of the game or stop ALL SCRIPTED activities (including but not limited to: artisan skill use, guild skill use, healing, lock picking, purifying gems, spell casting, hunting, and playing) to avoid being warned. >>

How could your attention have been on the iPad and the game window simultaneously?

Obviously, this is an extreme scenario, but according to POLICY 18 it is a warn-able offense.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 05/29/2015 01:06 PM CDT
>We are in the process of updating POLICY 18. We would have had this sooner, but there were a few new tools we had to build that has been delaying it. I will answer this in the next few days over in the policy discussion area of the forums.

Thank you! I'm sure there will be more pitchforks and torches over there, but I look forward to seeing the changes that get made. Any chance you might share a little beforehand, or shall I work on my patience level some more? ;)

Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 06/08/2015 01:36 PM CDT
<<There is absolutely no way that your third-party software scripts can continue to run if your system crashes/internet connection is lost. And you will be warned for those cases, every single time. If you honestly feel this happens to you, stop scripting or stop using third-party software.>>

If you run scripts, the best, easiest, and safest solution is to run scripts that do not loop. At the end of your script, instead of looping back to the top to start all over again, put in a prompt that requires you to do something (anything) to make the script start over. Type 74 to continue. Hit F3 to continue. Whatever you want it to require you to do, just make it so that you have to actually DO something.

This way, if you lose your connection to the game and for some unfathomable reason your scripts mysteriously and magically continue to run; if your kid falls down the stairs and you have to rush off to the hospital and the last thing on your mind was stopping your script in GS and logging out; if your brother stabs you in the shoulder with a fork as a joke and you have to go to the hospital; if something explodes outside and you want to run see what happened and in your rush you forget to stop your script; if you're paying attention but you're on a new medication and you just fell asleep; or one of a million other possible things happens that makes you stop paying attention to the game window, your script will eventually stop and wait on your prompt to continue. Problem solved.

(And yes, those were all actual explanations used for why people were caught scripting (and all of them were explanations given for when they got caught the 3rd, 4th, or 5th time.)

Solomon

PS - Just don't set up a trigger that auto-responds to the prompt. That sort of defeats the purpose.
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 06/08/2015 06:22 PM CDT
What if I am on a new medication and my shoulder suddenly explodes causing my fork (which was in my hand at the time) to go flying out of the room into the hall startling my brother and causing him to fall down the stairs so I have to rush him to the hospital leaving my child in charge of stopping my script but, being a child, they forget because they were being attentive to the script they were running on their computer (as I had recently been teaching them programming via Gemstone scripting as well as proper Gemstone script running etiquette)? What then?!?!?!

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 06/08/2015 09:55 PM CDT
I just snarfed, enough said....

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 06/09/2015 01:36 PM CDT
<<What if I am on a new medication and my shoulder suddenly explodes causing my fork (which was in my hand at the time) to go flying out of the room into the hall startling my brother and causing him to fall down the stairs so I have to rush him to the hospital leaving my child in charge of stopping my script but, being a child, they forget because they were being attentive to the script they were running on their computer (as I had recently been teaching them programming via Gemstone scripting as well as proper Gemstone script running etiquette)? What then?!?!?!>>

A non-looping script would still save you!

Solomon
Re: A question about penalties for F2P. 06/09/2015 05:58 PM CDT

>>A non-looping script would still save you!

Heh ... that was funny.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)