Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 12:10 PM CST
Alright, so “claid's”... I don't get what the deal is with them... You can't buy them from a weapons shop with upgraded materials like you can other weapons... Why?... Someone said they are rare weapons... But again, why?... I mean, for all intents and purposes, it’s just a greatsword but bigger. I can’t fathom any logic why they should be rare. As someone who is a bit of a weapon buff in the real world, who intends on opening his own forge and selling handmade, authentic, functional replicas, from kukri’s to khopesh’s, I’m going to offer a logic perspective. Even someone who knows nothing about forging would probably reach the same logic based conclusion, but anyways... The only difference between crafting a greatsword and a claymore is the time and material used. More sword to shape, means more working of the blade etc, and more material required. So why is it in gemstone 4, they are mythical swords that nobody can forge?...
To conclude, claymore’s, or “claidhmores”, should be just as customizable as any other weapon in a weapon shop, but more expensive due to the extra time/material costs, and should be forgeable by player smith’s, also requiring more time and materials to forge. They shouldn’t be as rare as unicorns... Which I imagine are probably more common in gemstone, ironically enough.
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 12:17 PM CST
Because it's NOT just a bigger greatsword. It's a greatsword with 40 points of critical weighting. Literally one of the best and most unbalancing things in the game. Adding extra +AS on top of that just...takes it over the top. They are indeed super rare above the 3x level.
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 03:48 PM CST
Well, I understand it has critical weighting. But where does that come from? The size/weight of the weapon. Thats why it's the massive sword that has critical weighting and not a greatsword etc. It's mechanic based on the logic of using such a massive weapon. I am fairly new to the game, having only started a warrior the other day, so maybe I'm not realising just how powerful a claid is... Or perhaps more accurately, how the math stacks up when adding the AS of magical metals to the weighting... If that is the case, maybe it is more an illusion due to the fact you can't upgrade to a better weapon in the same way you do others, if that makes sense. Maybe it's a case of the weapon can remain effective for longer.
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 04:15 PM CST
Don't try to think logic. :)

The weapon profile has <these statistics>. That's why it works the way it does.

Part of the reason it's so good now--and other lesser weapons that used to be good (rapier, dagger, short sword, scimitar) are now so much less so--is that in the current combat system, "HP inflicted" is tied directly to "crit result" (stun, bleeding wound, severed limb, death), so the big / slow / weighted weapons are even more devastating.
It used to be that crit severity was tied to how well did you hit it (i.e. "you need a 27 to hit it, your final roll was 82, you're at +55, you do a high level of crit"), which made small fast puny weapons actually kind of dangerous even against like plate (find the holes at the joints, or whatever), and do a decent crit that way.
Now? Now those weapons just suck.

Mind you! The claidhmore was awesome back then... it's just even MORE juicy now.
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 04:18 PM CST
>>Well, I understand it has critical weighting. But where does that come from? The size/weight of the weapon. Thats why it's the massive sword that has critical weighting and not a greatsword etc. It's mechanic based on the logic of using such a massive weapon. I am fairly new to the game, having only started a warrior the other day, so maybe I'm not realising just how powerful a claid is... Or perhaps more accurately, how the math stacks up when adding the AS of magical metals to the weighting... If that is the case, maybe it is more an illusion due to the fact you can't upgrade to a better weapon in the same way you do others, if that makes sense. Maybe it's a case of the weapon can remain effective for longer.

This might prove helpful: https://gswiki.play.net/Weighting#Critical_Weighting

~ The girl behind Debia
Check out my website: www.ElanthianEvents.com
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AngelofSharath
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 04:56 PM CST
<so maybe I'm not realising just how powerful a claid is>

Even more so for F2P characters as max weighting is "somewhat" (probably 5 pts) without a pass. Claidhmores and katanas (10 pts/heavy) that come with natural weighting are exceptions.
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 06:42 PM CST
Yeah, it has NOTHING to do with the size. You can have 40 points of critical weighting on a dagger. That would be as rare as high end claidhmores
Re: Claidhmores... Rarer than unicorns?.. 01/27/2018 11:38 PM CST
In reality, a claidhmore is just a different language-word for a greatsword, or two-handed sword. In game, they have different weapon profiles. It'd be interesting to trace back when the claidhmore was first released in this game, and for what purpose. Originally they were just weighted greatswords, and at some point evolved into their own weapon base. Certain stories made the claidhmore very popular in games for awhile, and the bonuses here compound that popularity far beyond Scottish legends. Anyway, if the sword was as easy to forge/enchant/etc. as the others, the end result would be no different than a greatsword. The weighted version is just there for variety. It doesn't need to exist, and makes little sense as it does, but that's where it is.