skinning / treasure restriction 10/08/2016 12:14 AM CDT
I was trying to collect some ghoul nails for a certain secret society, and got this when I tried to skin a lesser ghoul:

"[Because your account is free, you have a daily limit on your treasure generation. To reset or raise this cap, please visit the SimuCoins Store.]"

After dutifully spending 10 SimuCoins for a treasure cap reset and redeeming the token, I tried again, and got the same message.

Then I tried skinning another creature that was higher in level. No problem there. I go back to lesser ghouls, get the daily limit message.

This really seems to be tied to the limit on getting treasure from things you can't learn from. At the very least, the message should say this, rather than telling you to go spend some SimuCoins on something that won't help at all.

Is this restriction really necessary? Should I really have to roll up a low-level F2P ranger alt just to advance in a certain secret society when no friendly rangers are around to help?
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/08/2016 08:23 AM CDT
>Then I tried skinning another creature that was higher in level. No problem there. I go back to lesser ghouls, get the daily limit message.
>This really seems to be tied to the limit on getting treasure from things you can't learn from. At the very least, the message should say this, rather than telling you to go spend some SimuCoins on something that won't help at all.

Sounds like a bug to me, but I don't run things in the game so it could be an annoying feature. I do know people have a tendency to skin for silvers and this is generally done by under hunting....so maybe it is working as intended on F2P? Hopefully a NIR can let you know for sure.

>Is this restriction really necessary? Should I really have to roll up a low-level F2P ranger alt just to advance in a certain secret society when no friendly rangers are around to help?

Anyone with some first aid skill, survival skill and decent dexterity shouldn't have any issues skinning younger creatures.

My wizard has max dex and he's 1x trained in FA and .5x in survival. He skins very well. So, just something to keep in mind if you're looking for help getting skins.

-Drumpel
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/17/2016 10:01 AM CDT
>>After dutifully spending 10 SimuCoins for a treasure cap reset and redeeming the token, I tried again, and got the same message.

>>Then I tried skinning another creature that was higher in level. No problem there. I go back to lesser ghouls, get the daily limit message.

This is not a bug. This is to prevent "skinning bots" who run out and collect hides from creatures of value or creatures that have useful hides (like gathering feathers for your fletcher). You must be able to gain experience from the creature you kill as F2P in order to skin them. All other skins must be obtained through the services of another player.

Just for clarity - if you cannot learn (gain XP) from the creature, you cannot skin the creature as a F2P player.
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/17/2016 11:52 AM CDT
That pretty much makes CoL impossible, unless you buy the skins from other players.
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/18/2016 11:21 AM CDT
>That pretty much makes CoL impossible, unless you buy the skins from other players.

It depends a lot on your own level when doing CoL I guess. Giving a level 3 character troll hides is also "impossible" right?

I agree that a CoL assignment should allow one to get those skins, but I also suspect that a lot of the code in CoL is extremely old and probably not getting touched any time soon.

I'm not sure how I feel about this issue in the context of societies for F2P in general. Is it "okay" because societies aren't allowed by default, or "even worse" because to gain access to societies you have to pay something.

Though, I would argue that the bottom line is that mastering CoL is a joke compared to the other two societies. Buying the skins from other players isn't really a big deal IMO.
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/18/2016 12:29 PM CDT
I remember the donation bins in the old CoL location. I always dumped extra skins, amulets, silver wands and such in the bins. A good handful of times the bin donations helped me out in a pinch.

I was looking for donation bins last time I was at the current location and I didn't see any (or maybe I simply overlooked them???).....shame, too. I had about a dozen silver wands and so many amulets I could have dumped in them. Ended up selling them at the pawnshop instead.

Anyway, asking for someone to fetch some skins - doesn't take long and shouldn't cost much. Also, all the skins you have to gather, some are always going to fall out of your hunting level (below or above). It would probably take a rework for the code to only ask for skins around your level, much like how the adventurer's guild works when you're tasking to hunt creatures/get skins and such.

-Drumpel
Re: skinning / treasure restriction 10/18/2016 03:14 PM CDT
I'll just put this out there. If you are an F2P player and need skins for CoL, send me a thought, and I'll get them for you.