Weapon Conversion Chambers 08/01/2016 06:36 PM CDT

The chamber will only convert claidhmores, flamberges, katanas, longswords, manoples, mauls (including sledges and sledgehammers), pikes, naginatas, whip-blades, and ball & chains. Your steel gladius does not appear to be compatible.

Would it be possible to update the chamber to include additional weapon bases? I have a short sword with the correct noun, but the wrong base.
Re: Weapon Conversion Chambers 08/01/2016 06:41 PM CDT
>Would it be possible to update the chamber to include additional weapon bases? I have a short sword with the correct noun, but the wrong base.

Barring something really unusual, the base is always "correct" but the name may be wrong. Unfortunately, there are too many quirks in naming to fix that part automatically.
Re: Weapon Conversion Chambers 08/01/2016 08:22 PM CDT
>Would it be possible to update the chamber to include additional weapon bases? I have a short sword with the correct noun, but the wrong base.
Barring something really unusual, the base is always "correct" but the name may be wrong. Unfortunately, there are too many quirks in naming to fix that part automatically.

This is the post I found about the release of the weapon chambers.

Weapon Conversion ยท on 7/21/2004 7:41:01 PM 751
GM Mestys has created weapon conversion chambers and placed them in the arms and weapon shops in all major towns. Weapons of the correct noun, but of the wrong base, can be placed into the chambers in order to update them to their correct form.
These chambers will be useful to owners of older weapons, including claidhmores, flamberges, katanas, and mauls (sledges and sledgehammers).
All characteristics of the weapon prior to conversion will be present post-conversion, with the exception of old-style claidhmores, which will receive a +10 bonus to offset the difference in AvD. The conversions are completely voluntary, and cannot be undone.
This conversion is permanent. If you are unsure if you should convert your weapon, please post your question in the Weapons, Armor and Items Folder, Developer's Corner - Weapons and Armor Subfolder or place an assist with a GameHost and ask to speak with a GameMaster.
Information on weapons can be found at: http://www.play.net/gs4/info/armory/
This message was originally posted in Weapons, Armor and Items, Developer's Corner - Weapons and Armor. To discuss the above follow the link below.
http://www.play.net/forums/messages....mp;message=135

"Weapons of the correct noun, but of the wrong base, can be placed into the chambers in order to update them to their correct form."

Just curious why you would say the base is correct, over the noun being correct? It seems like the weapon conversion chamber was specifically created because the noun is correct, and not the base.

If the conversion chamber can't be updated to include short swords/gladius automatically, is there a way to have the base fixed without the chamber?
Re: Weapon Conversion Chambers 08/01/2016 09:30 PM CDT
>Just curious why you would say the base is correct, over the noun being correct? It seems like the weapon conversion chamber was specifically created because the noun is correct, and not the base.

More precisely, it was built to convert existing weapons into newly-created weapon bases that had not previously existed. For example, claidhmores were originally two-handed swords with a different noun and a bunch of crit weighting. When a new weapon base was created, the converter was able to turn those claidhmore-named two-handed swords into true newstyle claidhmores. (Some people actually prefer the oldstyle claidhmores because two-handed swords have better DFs and AvDs in some cases).

More than a decade after those new bases were created, I think that it's fair to consider it pretty unusual for someone to have a leftover oldstyle weapon that they want to convert. I'm aware that some people leave their weapons unconverted purposefully; that's fine.

But in either case, short swords are one of our original weapon types and would never have needed a conversion. What you have there sounds like an "illegal alter" that was named something that it shouldn't have been named, and it isn't going to be converted to a different base because of it. You can certainly get the noun fixed to match the proper base; a referral will take care of that for you.
Re: Weapon Conversion Chambers 08/02/2016 09:46 AM CDT
Naginata also got their own 'weapon base', rather than being a +20 halberd.

"What you have there sounds like an "illegal alter" that was named something that it shouldn't have been named, and it isn't going to be converted to a different base because of it." -- Finros

If anyone knows what happened to my golden laen misericord (I had loaned it to Logun, who took a lengthy LoA, and sold it when he returned because he forgot it was a loaner) you will notice that the noun is one of the new ones we use for daggers, but the weapon base is a broadsword.

This is what would currently be an illegal (alter) build, since it was a merchant-forged item.