Enchanting - Training question 01/31/2018 09:43 PM CST
Looking at enchanting as a main goal and wanted to get some experience from older Wizards on what their training looks like. I have read the posts on formulas, chances for success and testing, but wanted to see what the older Wizards who mostly just enchant train in and how many ranks.

For example is training in water lore to reduce temper times worth it? Do you over train in Wizard spells instead of the other circles?

Maybe post some of your training and stats?

thank you.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 08:32 AM CST
>>older Wizards who mostly just enchant

I don't know how many responses you'll get, here. Most of the well post capped wizards that post here are active hunters, too. You might find better luck with this question on the Players Corner (http://forum.gsplayers.com/). That's where all . . . those types hang out. ;)

Caution - portions of the site are NSFW so be careful.

Doug
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 09:00 AM CST
It all depends on how you wish to hunt. A lot of specialty trained wizards will have a high wizard ranks build due to the benefit it gives over the other spell circles. The downside to doing this is it does restrict some of your other spell circles. I'd say the bare minimum build would be 75/75/153 MjE/MnE/Wiz ranks followed up with a high water lore. But only a high water lore if you plan to hunt the wizard to be able to infuse potions. If you have no desire to ever hunt the wizard to therefor infuse potions you'd likely be better off going with a more pure Wizard ranks mutant build of something crazy like 0/0/303 wizard ranks as all the research still shows that Wizard ranks far outweigh MjE/MnE. But I wouldn't only do this if you were NOT going to hunt with him. But even then, you would may want 405 to quickly check projects instead of using prep/cast of 925. But then again, if you aren't hunting you're likely not going to care that it cost you 20 mana more to check if project is done.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 09:24 AM CST
"Wizards who mostly just enchant train in and how many ranks.
For example is training in water lore to reduce temper times worth it?" -- W-T

Given that the benefit from EL:Water is entirely based on hunting... if the target audience of the question is "those who mostly just Enchant", I'm going to say, "No."

I was 41st level when the GS4 conversion happened and the whole 'mana pool' fiasco vanished, so that "any Wizard at all!" could do Major Projects (just... one at a time).

At that time I had the following skills:
Arcane Symbols.....................| 86
Magic Item Use.....................| 86
Spell Aiming.......................| 86
Harness Power......................| 64
Elemental Mana Control.............| 50

Minor Elemental....................| 25
Major Elemental....................| 21
Wizard.............................| 49

And I have been able to do 7x Enchants since then. (Including 5 Auction items, so I've been pretty confident....)
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 02:36 PM CST
>the benefit from EL:Water is entirely based on hunting

Or any EXP gain, one could enchant or bounty to fill the pool.

:D

I've found that a mage who can hunt will also do quite well enchanting, no need for extremes.

I would definitely get water lore, you will appreciate the infused potions. Doing a 6-7x in a week instead of 3+ months is priceless.

Askip
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 03:10 PM CST
Thanks for the correction!
(I thought at one point that it was "hunting only", as an analog to Ensorcel. Did I lose track of an update somewhere?)
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 03:16 PM CST

>>(I thought at one point that it was "hunting only", as an analog to Ensorcel. Did I lose track of an update somewhere?)

The difference is that stored mana comes from (base)experience absorbed where as ensorcel comes from credited kills.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 08:04 PM CST
Thanks for the responses.

Let me rephrase that in that I want to still be able to hunt and gain experience while shooting to be a proficient enchanter and reliably enchant 7x plain or crit padded/weighted items. Not sure at what level I would be able to do that.

Looking at the following enchanting based skills.

AS – 2x
MIU – 2x
EMC – 2x
Wizard – 1-1.5x
MnE – up to 35 ranks
MjE – up to 50 ranks
Water – min 5 ranks and adjust as needed to help reduce temper times
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 08:20 PM CST
For spells I would shoot for:

113 Wizard
113 Major Elt
77 Minor Elt

I found Faulkil could enchant any 'normal' project (Including HCP projects if 925 casts are to be believed) with this build and it is strong for hunting as well - I make good use of Call Wind and Earthen Fury with the additional Wizard Ranks.

Agree on the:
AS – 2x
MIU – 2x
EMC – 2x

Water Lore: I have 35 Ranks in Water Lore and its still pretty 'Meh' on the temper time reduction. I generally favor a mix of lores vs. specializing overall, my current lore training:

Elemental Lore - Air...............| 146 46
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 105 25
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 102 24
Elemental Lore - Water.............| 130 35

I'll probably look at training these up more once I am done with 3x HP (almost there!)

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/01/2018 08:55 PM CST
My rule of thumb is the same amount of wizard ranks as the enchant (e.g., 25 ranks for 5x), and twice that for fusion. Now that we have some sense of the difficulty you can adjust your training as needed. You won't be able to do fusion for a bit of time since you need a bunch of MIU for the pours to be successful.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/02/2018 04:50 PM CST
Lots of good info here, thanks!

Why 113 Major Elt ranks? Just for bolt AS and DS? I believe mage armor maxes at 95. EL Targeting maxes at 75 Minor Elt ranks I believe.

I have to do some more reading on the lore benefits.

For 'normal' projects are you talking about 7x and lower? Has anyone tested VHCP enchants? Looking at some of the lower level weapons that have VHCP.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/02/2018 06:02 PM CST
>> Why 113 Major Elt ranks? Just for bolt AS and DS? I believe mage armor maxes at 95. EL Targeting maxes at 75 Minor Elt ranks I believe.

Off the top of my head... I believe I was pushing for a higher CS for Immolation. I generally push for the ability to make good use of all my spells (generalist) vs. trying to maximize one attack. That said, I think you could also consider something like the following and be a very successful hunter / enchanter as well:

126 Wizard
100 Major Elt
77 Minor Elt

The net benefit to enchanting would be around 13 more points towards enchanting - I doubt you would notice the difference on all but the most difficult projects (where you'd probably be making your training less optimal for hunting to be able to do anyway).

Thinking it over, I may re-evaluate my training when the next FIXSKILLs is passed out and try that build myself (to see if the extra 13 ranks is a noticable benefit for Call Wind and Earthen Fury). But more likely I'll stick with 113/113/77 for the Immolation CS. :p

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Enchanting - Training question 02/03/2018 08:10 PM CST
The extreme builds are really only necessary to enchant adamantite.and bone or some other material with a big minus.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4