Alteration - "footman's pike" 01/07/2016 12:02 PM CST
My warrior had this alter done to my lance at the four winds tree festival in 2014..."a ko'nag-shafted footman's pike with a razor-sharp mithril head." I don't live for alters but I planned it for a long time and absolutely loved it once done. I tried to get the second lance he carries altered in the same way at the four winds tree festival in 2015 and asked for "a ruic-shafted footman's pike with a razor-sharp vultite head." However, the merchant rejected the alter and told me that it could be a "pike" but "footman's pike" was not approved for a lance. I ended up getting "a ruic-shafted pike with a razor-sharp vultite head." I tried at another event and was denied a second time. Last week I was hunting my baby sorc and came across this that a reiver was carrying..."a footman's lance." I'm kind of confused and don't understand why a "footman's pike" would be rejected if there are already "footman's lances" in the game. Thx
Re: Alteration - "footman's pike" 01/08/2016 06:15 AM CST
A pike is a foot weapon. A footman's pike needs to be somehow different to a pike to make it a legal alter, but it isn't. A lance could be either a foot or a cavalry weapon, so specifying which it is in an alter is legal even though the preferred technique is to describe what the different design is rather than specifying what the different purpose is. Its a grey area and you'll find plenty of things that you'd think should be illegal in the game, as well as plenty of things you'd think should be legal being refused by merchants.

However, merchants can refuse anything for whatever reason they like. You can BUG the reiver if you think its got something it shouldn't have, but when refusing an alter the GM is ALWAYS right.