full leathers design question for a GM 11/18/2014 06:25 PM CST
So I was working with a GM doing alteration and I asked body armor was allowed... only on double leathers.
Then I asked if battle-armor was allowed... not allowed anymore.
What about vestments - robes only.

Then I was told for full leathers, approved nouns are leathers, armor, arming(adj) doublet(noun), and buffcoat.
The 'arming' must be used in the adjective for doublet to be used as noun.

So basically the information I got from that GM was more informative than the combined 200 posts in this folder, haha. Hopefully someone else can use this info.

So then I asked if "a set of fitted dark elven magi leathers/tunic/armor/" was allowed or not. He had no answer.
I was denied the alteration spot and told to ask on the forums instead.

So here I am, to ask if my design is allowed.

Also can a GM confirm if jerkin, tunic, leather shirt, or habits are allowed nouns for anything?
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/19/2014 02:55 AM CST

Full leathers - leather jerkin should be allowed. We had "a suede jerkin" released as a DMC prize (3-slot fusion armor).

Just my 2 cents…

-E
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/19/2014 12:34 PM CST
I'd agree with E on jerkin. Tunic sounds more like light leathers to me. Leather shirt might be a bit of a stretch. Habit I think would fall under robes.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/19/2014 01:21 PM CST
The official documentation for weapons lists all the various names that weapons can go by. The documentation on armor does not have the same. Perhaps thats something that can be added to the armor documentation.

Chad, player of a few
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/19/2014 01:23 PM CST
>Perhaps thats something that can be added to the armor documentation.

I personally would love this too.
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/20/2014 08:39 AM CST
+1
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/20/2014 03:25 PM CST
>>dark elven magi leathers

First of all, I wasn't the GM/Merchant who worked with you on this. But the first thing that I would say, had I been, is that I wouldn't be able to discern magi leathers from healer leathers from bartender leathers. So, that'd be a no regardless of the noun.

~GM Liia
Team 3P, Paid Events Guru
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/20/2014 07:31 PM CST
Further on that train of thought...
What about wizard robes? Is that allowed?
Wizard hat is literally in the alter documentation as allowed.
So let's assume for a moment that that wizard robes are allowed, what separates a magi from a wizard from a magister from a magus?

Well let's look at a dictionary... magi is the plural form of magus and magus is a magician/sorcerer or in other words a magic user.
Magician being defined as someone who makes the impossible happen, same with sorcerer which is someone who uses sorcery.
In the generic sense of the word, magi would mean magic-user, so therefore a magic-user's armor.

Sure, you can't discern healer leathers from from a bartender's leathers because honestly nobody knows what the hell healer's leathers look like.
But you could probably imagine when you say bartender leathers that it'd be stained with ale and shabby work leathers.

Similarly if I said magician's armor I assume you would be imagining some set of pristine set of armor with all sort of fancy intricate designs that do all sorts of complex magical impossible things.. well because.. it's magic.
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/20/2014 10:25 PM CST
Or you could just make a pristine set of leathers decorated with intricate designs
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/21/2014 03:57 AM CST

The old "ranger's cloak" dilemma.

It's a matter of art. It's not something one can get argumentative about. It Is Decided that there are some styles, attributes and cultural aesthetics that are generally recognizable, and some that are not. You can figure out which by experience, and then kind of reason / feel it out from that.

-E
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/21/2014 11:08 AM CST
Or you could go naked. But why would you?
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/21/2014 11:03 PM CST
>What about wizard robes? Is that allowed?
>Wizard hat is literally in the alter documentation as allowed.

I think we all have a specific image for "a wizard hat." But, not a "sorcerer hat" for instance. This is a less typical case, where the profession adjective actually specifies something identifiable.

The 'wizard robes' are unlikely to be allowed, because I don't distinguish which robes a wizard wears from other kinds of robes. As yourself if "sorcerer robes" and "wizard robes" are different. I think the answer is no, and as such, this is disallowed.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/22/2014 06:05 AM CST
>I think we all have a specific image for "a wizard hat."

Like a witch's but flashier.

A light, bright blue, but dark enough to still definitely be blue.
A 3' tall, 1' base cone with a 1' rim.
Orange, with a touch of pink stars, 2" size sprinkled with a 6" spacing.
A large "Z" (for wiZZard) picked out in clear zircons.
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/22/2014 09:39 AM CST
And definitely pointed. Someone pass me a Funnelweb. . .

I have a vision of a sorcerer's hat, as well. A hemispherical collection of alternating red and white wedged shape sections, with a modest free-spinning wooden propeller raised three-fingers width at the cap's peak.

Doug
Re: full leathers design question for a GM 11/22/2014 11:40 PM CST
>>I have a vision of a sorcerer's hat, as well. A hemispherical collection of alternating red and white wedged shape sections, with a modest free-spinning wooden propeller raised three-fingers width at the cap's peak.

~GM Liia, almost tempted to put this on Sylinar. Almost.
Team 3P, Paid Events Guru