Alters and script holders 06/26/2014 12:55 PM CDT
I was wondering if it could be looked into to loosen some of the alter restrictions on items where a certain GM holds the rights to the script of an item. More specifically for me, I really enjoy the cravats that tie on and can be unlocked into bowties. I understand some of the script holders want to limit the unlockings of their things to keep them rare and coveted. But the alter restrictions seem so random and arbitrary. I guess what Im saying is, nail polish is more coveted by a larger percentage of the playerbase than the cravat/bowties and nail polish can be altered by several GMs it seems. I'd either really appreciate the GM holding the cravat script to allow alters on them or to come around more often for a while. I think the last time I got one altered was at RTCF a year ago. I have outfits to make, people. This is srs bsns.
Re: Alters and script holders 06/26/2014 01:44 PM CDT
Usually, when pure alters are concerned, I find that many of us (or maybe it is just me) don't feel comfortable altering super scripted items. When there are many facets of the item because of its script I'd rather decline to alter it from the start rather than mess it up and the player have to wait around for it to be fixed by either the script owner or someone much more knowledgeable with how they work. I personally also only prefer doing easy alter sessions. The easier it is for me the faster I can go and the more people I can alter for. I'd much rather sit there for an hour and do alters for 30+ different people than try and alter super scripted things and only be able to work for 10 people.

Granted, this isn't the opinion of Staff as a whole. Just a personal opinion of only one GM that runs merchants. There are MANY of us that have great experience altering these super scripted items. And many of us that create them and are in the process of making more awesome fluff, or non-fluff, things!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Alters and script holders 06/26/2014 01:51 PM CDT
Oh, I agree. I know a lot of times merchants dont want to fuss with tricky things. I dont have anything to whine about there. I just have been told there's a restriction on the cravats that don't allow them to be altered except by the script owner.
Re: Alters and script holders 06/26/2014 04:05 PM CDT
Personally, I would be okay with waiting in the assist/referral queue if it meant that my dream items were a possibility.
Re: Alters and script holders 06/27/2014 12:03 PM CDT
This is really off in left field, but it relates to alterations and you happen to mention something that always reminds me of a sad, sad day:

>nail polish is more coveted by a larger percentage of the playerbase

I was at Ebon Gate, where custom nail polish was being made. I got spun for a feature alteration, and was denied the ability to alter my nails, because I might be wearing gloves and then no one could see my nails. I probably wanted something akin to grotesque long jagged yellow fingernails, you know, something disgusting. Grumble grumble grumble. My better judgment kept me from arguing the point, so I quickly came up with an eye alteration instead.

Still, how can that be considered consistent at all? Am I mistaken or is there nothing to prevent nail polish being visible whilst wearing gloves?

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Alters and script holders 06/27/2014 03:29 PM CDT
I was thinking about this, whisper masks also fit into this category. People enjoy them but its almost impossible to find the original merchant who sold them to get them altered and no one else is able to do them. I guess I just dont understand why so much effort is put into making something and then making it like winning a lottery just to get them altered. The best part of gemstone is being able to customize things. I would think if it was a rarity thing they wouldnt be sold off the shelf at all, just a raffle here or there. Is there some benefit Im just to oblivious/ignorant to understand by making some items impossible to alter?