Robe Alteration Dilemma 01/03/2013 09:52 PM CST

So, playing a monk has afforded me the opportunity to play (safely) something I'd done as a warrior for some time: Hunting sans armor. The issue that occurs is the necessity for robes to grant the DS that is lost.

The dilemma is this: What sort of way can I alter a robe so that I can still potentially emulate the "hunting bare-chested/shirtless" monk vibe, or is it just outright impossible? I know I could potentially just try and amass a slew of DB items, but I'm aiming for something a bit more financially realistic. Some sort of ludicrous alteration, perhaps..
Re: Robe Alteration Dilemma 01/04/2013 09:56 AM CST
A GM made me an open vest once... I can't remember what I did with it... but same concept, bare-chested, etc.

>>We are the ones who will never be broken. With our final breath, we'll fight to the death. We are soldiers.
Re: Robe Alteration Dilemma 01/04/2013 03:52 PM CST

That depends if/when the restrictions on nouns for robe class armor changes. I tried altering some robes into an isiqiri and was denied. You could make robes and vestments out of cloth armor..but anything else you stand a chance of being shot down. Are you after something like an Aladdin vest?
Re: Robe Alteration Dilemma 01/04/2013 06:16 PM CST

I think the issue is, the typical "fantasy monk" aesthetic has a very distinctly unusual 'style' that I'm not sure can be emulated given Gemstone alteration rules. Say for example, you wanted a jacket-like vestment/robe that was worn hanging off the waist. Or even... something like any of these images:

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/furious_kender/large/d9836e0960a2f8ab4f47979674948873.jpg?v=139500

or

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/odonabhan1132/large/5a01f86e6537daaa072ab020f6fcd618.jpg?v=195300

Not exactly great images but I think they sort of touch on the right idea. I mean ideally? I guess the only way to capture what I want would be a DB belt, but given the new class I'd hope they'd consider tweaking the alteration rules to accommodate the thematic they've introduced via the class itself. If they're going to add new rules in one area, they need to accommodate the reflections it has on other rules, I would think (ideally).