ALTER 7 questions/rephrasing design help 06/24/2011 09:31 AM CDT
For those not logged in right now, the text of ALTER 7 reads as follows.

ALTER 7: Risque Clothing

Clothing or items that represent lingerie, undergarments, or "adult toys" of any sort, are forbidden. Avoid mentioning body parts in alteration descriptions. Sexy clothing is okay, but only to a point. You can have a "low-cut bodice", but anything more risque stands the risk of being rejected. An evening dress cut to reveal the soft skin beneath takes on a somewhat grisly connotation when seen lying on the ground or being stuffed into a backpack. Tight-fitting clothing wouldn't look right when in your hand.

The pertinent bits are the 'avoid mentioning body parts' and the 'gown cut to reveal soft skin'. This weekend, at the Vaalor festival, I was denied for what I thought was a fairly reasonable item.

a vermilion-swirled blown glass armband spiraling up from wrist to elbow

The reason behind the denial was 'no body parts' and 'it might look funny on the ground or in the locker'. Not wanting to offend the hordes of people who might break into the Phoenix vaults and paw through my cleric's locker, or get a low score in Solhaven's annual 'Drop All Your Alters On The Ground' contest*, I'm curious about two things.

a) Where is the line drawn between what is legal and what is not, as far as body part references go? One-shoulder gowns and knee-high boots are clearly referencing how/where an item is worn, as are back-pendants. I have a gown that's buttoned up the spine. Is there no distinction drawn between showing what something looks like or the way it's worn as opposed to 'a sultry low cut bodice that's really hot and also reveals a jeweled navel'?

b) How can the aforementioned item be rewritten to fit into the existing guidelines while not losing the visual imagery of what it is? Sure, I could put it in a show, but since it's a reasonably large adornment spiraling up the wearer's entire forearm, I would hope the average non-blind Elanthian could tell what it looked like without having to get close enough to count my character's freckles.

I'm equally curious about both questions, being too attached to the imagery of the thing now to just give up on it entirely. I was unable to figure out a 'legal' way to word it, though.

* Yes, Solhaven has some wacky events. No, this isn't really one of them.

--
You quietly whisper to Tolomyn, "I would like 'an unpretentious albugineous rumchunder dress whorled with chrysochlorous penniform arabesques', please."
>
You gaze hopefully at Tolomyn.
>
Tolomyn stares at you.
Re: ALTER 7 questions/rephrasing design help 06/27/2011 06:58 AM CDT
Oddly enough, the way that item is described doesn't sound like an armband to me. Armbands are traditionally worn around the bicep, but that seems to be worn on the forearm.

I don't know if this helps, but...

a vermilion-swirled blown glass coil -
Clear blown glass, devoid of impurities and bubbles, is swept with delicate brushstrokes of vermilion that are vibrant in hue and taper to wisp-like whorls at the edges. Narrowing at the end, the ornament is designed to coil from wrist to elbow and gently flares to accommodate the muscles of the forearm. A flat nodule, designed to lay across the back of the wearer's hand, is heavily touched with the vermilion hues in a circular design that echoes the curvature of the entire piece.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~

*Halfling Guru*
*Premium Guru*
*Mist Harbor Guru*
Re: ALTER 7 questions/rephrasing design help 06/28/2011 09:03 PM CDT
Thandiwe:

I am failing to find the words to adequately describe your talent with alters. Saying you are awesome with awesome sauce just doesn't do you enough justice, but it's the best I have. I would give my eye teeth to have your talent.

To Siwas: Quick, grab that design! You'll never see a better one.
Re: ALTER 7 questions/rephrasing design help 07/11/2011 09:05 PM CDT
So, a bit ago Thandiwe, as Alouetta.. made me a sweeeeeeet instrument. It was a cornett and named Cacophony.. and now I can't figure out where it went to. It was something like.. made from glaes and the mouth of the instrument actually looked like a mouth, like a demonic snarl.. I was curious if you remember or if, like the coil there, you might slap something together once again? I'd appreciate it.. you make some impressive instruments.