Last Try for 2016! 12/31/2016 06:16 PM CST
3x CM. Just gon put this out there, ONE LAST TIME.

If not (of course not lololo) though, how about an open dialogue/discussion about more junk that can be done for this here bunch'a squares? We have suggestions and ideas and like, an inescapable bloodlust.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Last Try for 2016! 12/31/2016 09:55 PM CST
and we're due. ;)
Re: Last Try for 2016! 12/31/2016 09:56 PM CST
We need a bright, flaming champion of Warrior-dom. I think we all choose Retser. (Queue Teddy Pendergrass)
Re: Last Try for 2016! 12/31/2016 11:45 PM CST
I'm listening. I'm more interested in cool play style ideas than I am about pure number tweaks, but I'm listening regardless.

Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 11:21 AM CST
CMANs in general
One way to enable cool play styles is to give squares the opportunity to actually train in "fun" CMAN skills. With points as limited as they are, almost everyone focuses on the mechanically important passives/defensive abilities and then runs out of points.

Seriously, allow 3x CMAN for all squares (and if you're worried about post-cap AS bloat, whatever, take the +1 AS/2 levels boost from 425 away from squares). Or at least review the CMAN point system all together. Pures have access to every single one of their spells well before cap. Post-capped squares have a dozen CMANs they literally can never know how to use.

Review the RT of set up moves, and decrease it across the board. Disablers have to be more useful or faster than Feint, Shield Trample, and War Cries. A way to make all critters in the room lose a prepped spell?

Review the costs and strength of attack CMAN, and buff them. Killing moves have to have a reason to be used instead of AMBUSH and MSTRIKE/BERSERK. AMBUSH and MSTRIKE have to stay powerful to justify being the main point of two entire offensive skills.

Maybe allow some to be used while in a BERSERK, others to be used while in RT, and others to be used to set up future attacks rather than generating attacks (like Ki Strike). Clerics can get Truehand on literally any of their spells with proper preparation on a limited basis. Squares can only use it on a plain ATTACK. If you're using plain ATTACK, something has gone wrong.

Hurling
Figure out how to balance hurling. Add some CMANs to make Hurling not terrible for squares without super-expensive, super-rare items.

Stances
Review Martial Stances and give squares an incentive to actually use more than one. Training two stances uses up around 25% of your very limited lifetime CM points, and then costs Stamina to switch between them in combat. Huh? This was the weirdest thing for me when I came back to play a warrior after a long break. There's stances now, and you're not encouraged to train more than one? You're punished for switching between them?

I say completely re-do stances. Drop the costs dramatically. Drop the stamina cost entirely. Drop the duration down to 2 minutes or less. Add a cooldown on reentering a stance after you enter it. Turn all the AS CMANs into stances. Turn spell cleave/thieve into a stance. Keep them as active abilities too if you want, and add an MSTANCE verb to activate the stance version.

Upper-level abilities
Semis and Pures get some cool new stuff as they continue to level up. Warriors get to wear fullplate. Monks get to catch up on spells. Rogues get... oh look at that I think I left the oven on.

Add some X/day abilities that unlock somehow after level 50. Automatically berserk upon death by bloodloss, stopping bleeders and buffing HP regen? Interrupt a spell cast at you with a disabling attack, cancelling it if the hit goes through? Break out of berserk with hunt-ending injuries? Surely people can spitball here.

Add more fun stuff to your bonded weapon at higher levels. I played for 3 months without mine while it was getting enchanted, and the biggest difference I saw upon getting it back was the +10 bonus to Feint.

One thought: If you have a flaring bonded weapon, have a way for the warrior to swing it and use the flare's critical table rather than slash/crush/puncture. Require MIU, have a cooldown, whatever. Could be interesting. Would of course make trolls easier, but then you'd have the opportunity cost of bonding to a fire-flaring weapon.

Permanent Item Modification
Every class should have access to some kind of unique permanent item modification. It's ridiculous that they don't.

Here's an easy one: let warriors modify armor and rogues modify weapons to give bonuses to CMAN/SMRvX attack/defense. Boring but helpful. Or, if I'm reaching for the stars, let them add padding/weighting.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 02:58 PM CST
Ye Age Olde 3x CM Debate

As much as I like to point at this one, it's been pretty clearly stated that this will be a no-go. Which is really pretty understandable, considering what imbalances it could cause to any number of systems. However, to a lot of us it seems like the quickest and easiest fix for a number of post-cap issues wherein, without dedicating a a gigantic amount of TPs to spells and sacrificing one of the core profession highlights (damage reduction), warriors tend to fall behind other professions, particularly semis. So really the 3x CM debate unearths some of the work we'd like to see.

So to lay out some of these observations, from my own personal experience, and it's been touched on a bunch in this folder, it starts with AS- at cap, there's little if any further growth except for learning spells, which I still don't really believe should be the destination for the quintessential square. 3x CM, which would be a pretty major longterm post-cap investment (especially at 16/12 tps per rank) would mitigate that with an added 50 AS, keeping the profession a bit more competitive.

It'd also come with 101 more CMPs to play around with at the far post-cap game (so if we're maxing skill ranks, that's approximately three 5 rank skills and a handful of prereqs), giving warriors the option to pick up other CMs and further flesh out the profession, along with better offensive and defensive capabilities in regards to opposing maneuvers (I wouldn't object to diminishing returns on this post-202 ranks or 2x/level). This does solve the diversification issue, where I would assume most players of warriors only stick to the tried and true core of CMs while many of the skills, useful and flavorful as they may be, just kind'a lie fallow.

So the tl;dr for that is- AS falls behind at cap compared to other professions and lack of diversity due to CMP costs.

So instead of 3x CM..

First, I'd advocate lowering CMP costs. If not across the board, then for a lot of the fallow skills and the passive skills like Cunning Defense, Movement, Focus, Side by Side, etc. Across the board would still be fantastic in regards to diversification though- in general use, many of the offensive CMs are just not worth using until Rank 4, and even then from personal experience, even with Rank 4 of Sunder Shield (something I sacrificed some of those passive cores for to mitigate AS issues via tactical setups), ofttimes it's a no-go on like level mobs. Rank 5, I think I'd see far more success, but the prereqs and cores have most of my CMPs tied up. It's still pretty useful though, don't get me wrong.

So with lowering CMP cost, some tweaks in some of profession defining skills would be pretty keen as well. So for today, let's take a peek at Weapon Bonding as a start.

Bonding Level Effect Swings/Flare
1 Bypass Block/Parry (but not Evade) 4
2 Lil' Damage Weighting (+5/Somewhat?) 6
3 Lil' DS Pushdown (-25?) 8
4 -1 RT 10
5 Doublestrike (+returning) 12

I might be one of the few dudes who keeps his bonding flares set to random- but most warriors to my understanding just set it to 5 and be done with it. This is because the other flares are a little lackluster at best. I would vote upgrading the abilities some. Some le suggestions on that, with the Swings to Flare staying the same..:

Rank 1, toss in possibly a free Disarm and/or Sunder Shield attempt (weapon permitting, using the warrior's ranks in those respective CMs, and not flaring at all if the warrior has no guild/CM training in either) that would potentially flare at base 10% +5% per Bonding Rank post-attack roll (so a 35% chance at Rank 5), and also bypass Evade at Rank 5.
Rank 2, maybe change it from what I believe is a phantom flat +5 damage weighting (somewhat) to both damage and crit weighting, with a number uptweak- +5 (somewhat) base +2 per Bonding Rank achieved, so a max of +15 (exceptional) phantom damage/crit weighting.
Rank 3, instead of a flat 25 (I'm pretty certain that's the number, which isn't too shabby actually), possibly either 25 base +5 for each Bonding Rank (so basically a reverse Spirit Strike, wherein instead of a +75 AS, the target gets a -75 DS at Rank 5), or a DS pushdown of something like 10% base, +5% bonding rank (so 35% DS pushdown at Bonding Rank 5).
Rank 4, maybe -1 RT base, -1 per Bonding Rank, going no lower than of course 1 RT (like a stamina-free Quickstrike).
Rank 5, a +5% per Weapon Spec rank in the bonded weapon's type for a third swing, which could activate a fourth swing at +4% per bonding rank, fifth swing at +3% per bonding rank, sixth swing at +2% per bonding rank, and seventh swing at +1% per bonding rank (free focused mstrike at regular swing RT and no stamina cost or Mstrike cooldown). So a 25% for a third swing, 20% chance for a fourth swing, 15% for a fifth swing, 10% for a sixth swing, and %5 for a seventh swing.

I'm not too certain if those numbers seem a little extreme or not, personally. In lieu of those, of course, maybe just halving the Number of Swings to Flare, making leaving your Bonding flare set to random even more lucrative and active and being able to count a bit moreso on your flare if you decide to just keep it set to a particular one.

I'm a bit tapped out for like, further suggestions right this minute now (but I swear I have a bunch, not just uptweaks and numbers junk to CMs, but flavor/screen dressing/etc as well and things like passive Weapon Skills (ala Shield Maneuvers)), but I do want to say first, THANK YOU ZISSU for being open to hearing some of our junk out and second, by no means at all do I think the profession is unplayable or nerfed to not-funness or anything of the sort.

As things stand right now, after trying every profession in the game, there's a reason why I've only ever capped a warrior; for my playstyle and what I want out of the game mechanics-wise, I've found playing one to be the most fun, particularly and especially since ye olde change from GSIII to GSIV. I just get the inkling that once the level cap of GSIV was put in place, maybe it wasn't expected that so many of us would hit it and then far surpass it.

Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 03:10 PM CST

Has anyone ever considered the possibilty of selectable 3x skills when you reach the capped training level?

Say Clunk reaches 100 trainings. (after 20+ years that seems not likely)

He'd be presented with an option that allowed one skill be designated for an additional maximum trainings, to shift from 1x to 2x, or from 2x to 3x, for one of the skills already 3x'able (spell-check) by another profession.

Tossing it out there ...

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 09:38 PM CST
I doubt this is going to be a popular observation, but the maneuvers that warriors tend to dump the most points into are probably the ones that need the most work. To say it another way, if all capped maneuvers were equally powerful, or nearly so, there wouldn't need to be "must-have" maneuvers.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 10:12 PM CST
I like alot of those suggested changes to the bonding levels. I would also like to suggest the ability to manually activate bonding flares on your next swing, with a reasonable stamina cost and/or cooldown. This would help greatly with flexibilty and flavor during combat. Being able to trigger bonding flare 1 or 3 alone would be great against certain foes.

My biggest issue with warriors in GS4 is that there are few mechanics to support the idea that we are the masters of weapon combat. Im hesitant to suggest Cmans as the answer since we are already squeezed for points. Unlike others, I'm not overly concerned about our raw AS/DS numbers (although warriors are not dominating in that area either) but I think more utility, flavor and options from weapon bonding would be a step in the right direction.

Now for more random idea time

Berserk: Keep the current berserk as is but let us choose how to focus our rage alittle. Some new options could be focused mstrikes, warcry bellow/growl, mighty/staggering blow, sunder shield, shield bash, shield charge, twin hammerfist, haymaker, etc instead of just mstriking during berserk rounds with similar combat bonuses applying. Stopping berserk after 3-5 rounds would be great as well. This would give us options to use berserk more offensively and also tackle those turtled creatures during berserk. Would be cool if there was berserk messaging and/or berserk only manuevers.

Executioner's stance: +30/45/60 seconds to the Coup de grace AS bonus when active. Make aimed ambushes carry over to the next target like whirling dervish. This offers a small buff to Coup de grace's duration and makes Executioner's stance a bit more desirable.

Coup de grace: Rank 3/4/5 Coup de grace + Executioners stance unlocks the ability to activate an 'aggressive stance' lasting 5/10/15 seconds allowing you to get the Coup de grace bonus from the first killing blow during the 'stance'. Influence bonus now factored in Coup de grace's bonus and/or duration now. This would further help with AS bonus issues while making Coup easier to use.

Wtrick/berserk/cman messaging alterations: not mechanical but adds some flavor.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/01/2017 10:18 PM CST
No, the maneuvers that warriors tend to dump the most points into are Surge, passives, and defenses, because the active offensive abilities are so lackluster. Feint is a good setup and doesn't use up CM points. No offensive skill is as powerful as AMBUSH or MSTRIKE except Berserk, which is also a guild skill.

If you nerf the passives, people will for the most part keep training passives and defensive cmans, because that won't magically make the unused ones better. They'll just continue to spend CM points on less useful passives and be less happy about it.

Here are some CM builds I found in PC threads ( http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?102896-CM and http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?105803-Best-Combat-Maneuver-Choices ). I've bolded the abilities other than Surge that might actually be used actively:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Mighty Blow mblow 1
Sunder Shield sunder 4
Subdual Strike sstrike 3
Specialization I wspec1 3
Weapon Bonding bonding 5
Combat Mobility mobility 1
Combat Toughness toughness 3
Surge of Strength surge 3
Parry Mastery pmastery 3
Cunning Defense cdefense 5
Spell Parry sparry 3
Griffin's Voice griffin 3

(But I'm guessing sstrike is for defensive purposes.)

Combat Focus focus 5
Twin Hammerfists twinhamm 1
Hamstring hamstring 2
Headbutt headbutt 2
Charge charge 4
Stun Maneuvers stunman 2
Subdual Strike sstrike 2
Specialization I wspec1 5
Weapon Bonding bonding 5
Combat Mobility mobility 2
Bull Rush bullrush 2
Surge of Strength surge 1
Block Mastery bmastery 2
Cunning Defense cdefense 4

Combat Movement cmovement 3
Combat Focus focus 2
Mighty Blow mblow 2
Specialization I wspec1 4
Weapon Bonding bonding 5
Surge of Strength surge 4
Parry Mastery pmastery 2
Executioner's Stance executioner 2

Combat Focus focus 2
Hamstring hamstring 2
Subdual Strike sstrike 2
Specialization II wspec2 5
Coup de Grace coupdegrace 2
Weapon Bonding bonding 5
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 5
Parry Mastery pmastery 3
Cunning Defense cdefense 4

Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 12:33 AM CST
Dazed
A grogginess, a 2 second pure stun, a blinking eye effect that isn't hard RT.

Coup De Grace
Dazed to this combo. It's just not something you can setup properly. It needs to be reworked or remove the stun needed component. It's hard enough with timing. Cairn's Cry or Symbol of Sleep is all we got. Those are intense to even try.

Tackle
Add a tackle bolt-on, a second daze attempt, lower it's RT to 5, etc.

Berserk
Add a health regen /10 to it or some armor factor /temporary health +80 (good for elves). Let us stop berserk at 4 rounds/5 rounds

Executioner's Stance
I like this topic on it. It's underwhelming as built.

<<(and if you're worried about post-cap AS bloat, whatever, take the +1 AS/2 levels boost from 425 away from squares).>>

I'd quit if this happened, good thing it never would.

Upper Level abilities
More along these lines or incorporate them into Warrior Guild skills. That is tricky development I bet. Might be the best idea generator.

Armor Reinforcement
Fix it to make it a viable alternative to Support.

Taunt
Direct the room to engage us with a 60 second cooldown.

Add a warcry roar to taunt the room for 12 seconds.

Adopt one of those paladin spell effects.

-Geijon
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 06:32 AM CST

>Coup De Grace
>Dazed to this combo. It's just not something you can setup properly. It needs to be reworked or remove the stun needed component. It's hard enough with timing. Cairn's Cry or Symbol of Sleep is all we got. Those are intense to even try.

Haymaker is the existing setup for coup. UAC also works pretty well. Cairn's is horrible because prone critters are substantially immune to it.

>No, the maneuvers that warriors tend to dump the most points into are Surge, passives, and defenses, because the active offensive abilities are so lackluster.

More because once you have a couple there's no need to have any more, and the guild supplies those anyway. The only actives I spend CMan points on are RP moves where I just have a few ranks to do the move rather than all the ranks to do it effectively. 15 RP moves for the price of one fully trained active is a pretty good deal in my opinion. If there weren't shield points, I'd be spending some of my passives on an active shield move instead, but right now there's no need for any of my points to be spent on active CMans and if there were any more points available they'd just get dumped into even more passive buffs. CMan points could be capped at level 50 rather than level 100 and it would probably make for a better game because I wouldn't be quite so invulnerable to critter CMans as I am now. (Monks are horribly short of manoever points, but they only get 1/3 the amount that warriors have available, warriors could quite easily lose a few)
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 09:08 AM CST
>I'd quit if this happened, good thing it never would.

Even in the most extreme example, where you're just post-cap enough to train 75 MnE ranks and nothing else, you're out 6000 PTPs and 6000 MTPs. 3x CM would cost 16/12, and 101 ranks of it would leave you with 4384/4788. In the end, you'll be short 17 spell ranks: 25 MnECS, 9 DS/ETD, 17 minutes of spell duration, some decreased effectiveness in 403/404/410/416/435, and 51 swings off your eblades. And some spellburst ranks, I guess.

If you'd quit instead of trading that for CM, then I would say that you make rash decisions. Unless, I guess, you've spent years building up your warrior's super mutant 409/415 build, but in that case you'd be less worried about the loss of AS?

>It needs to be reworked or remove the stun needed component.

At the very least, revisit RT and/or make the morale buff apply when solo-hunting. If an enemy is disabled, I can ambush its head or neck in less time than I can coup it. The morale debuff still applies, but there's no way it's worth the extra 2 RT to debuff a creature's AS. There's another creature in the room and I'm solo! I don't want 8 RT, and I don't care at all about AS attacks (unless flaring weapons are involved).

>Cairn's is horrible because prone critters are substantially immune to it.

I don't think I've seem this. They usually just lay on the ground and shiver for me. But if they're on the ground, 3 RT for a warcry + 8 RT for a coup is a lot longer than a targetted MSTRIKE.

>15 RP moves for the price of one fully trained active is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

No, not it's not. Especially when you're actually asking players to spend a limited resource (CMAN points) to learn those "RP moves" (read: mechanically useless moves) and GMs to spend a limited resource (time) developing them. If this was Warrior Tricks or a spell list where the "RP moves" were learned automatically on the way to more useful moves, then that'd be a different story, but feel free to dip into spell discussions to see how "wasted spell slots" go over.

Beyond that, it's a terrible design for new players. Feint costs 2/3/5/7/10 CMP. Staggering Blow costs 8/4/6/8/10 (counting the pre-req). If I were new to Gemstone, I'd assume that Staggering Blow is staggeringly better than Feint, and I'd be completely wrong.

>I wouldn't be quite so invulnerable to critter CMans as I am now

My self-spelled empath gets hit by CS spells less often than my warrior gets hit by CMANs, and the empath uphunts all the time. CML rolls are the square's strength. CML rolls are also non-linearly level-based, so you're not going to get hit as often by them when you're capped, period. You have a +/- 8 swing to your CML endroll within 5 levels, versus +/- 15 for CS.

And heck, the most dangerous creatures for my warrior in OTF might be the scouts. They can tag him with Sweep (which Warriors can't learn) despite being completely outleveled and since they attack from hiding, you can't always disable them first. That's how RT locks get started.

>CMan points could be capped at level 50 rather than level 100 and it would probably make for a better game

Removing abilities would not make for a better game. Nothing's stopping you from untraining your CMs or putting those points into all 15 RP moves, but please don't force those changes on the rest of the warrior class without having something better to replace them.

Right now, your suggestions are "Cairn's Cry is horrible, just train Brawling, also delete half your CM points". That's not productive.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 09:27 AM CST
>>I would say that you make rash decisions.

Maybe, maybe. But - I know a certain warrior who only casts spells from scrolls. What I mean to say is - for some of us, there are non-mechanical backstory related reasons not to want to change certain things.

I know it's odd - and it may not be the case here. But I would hate to see that die - and it's the very definition of 'choice'. So - perhaps finding a way to make both work is more better?

Doug
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 10:31 AM CST
You're speaking to generalities. Moving numbers around won't change a character's backstory. Magic changes all the time in Elanthia. Empaths had to adapt when their entire spell circle changed. Some clerics woke up one day to find they were no longer able to raise the dead. Moving an AS bonus somewhere else is a rounding error in the grand scheme of Elanthian magic, and a warrior who doesn't know that clearly doesn't know magic as well as their backstory claims to.

You can still choose to be a scroll warrior (which isn't going to be affected at all, unless you've got some really expensive scrolls) or a elemental blast warrior or a magical warrior who's researched 75 MnE spells for purely RP reasons. Nobody is making them change your build. There is no forced fixskill camp that untrains MnE. They would then also have the choice to train CM at 3x. This would be a new choice. Choice!

The "compromise" option would be to have the 425 give the character [25 + (MnE - 25)/2 - (CM - 202)/2] AS, min 0, max 50, but that'd be an ugly hack. If I were on dev, though, I'd probably consider it even if I hated the design, because I'd have to read far less negativity on the message boards post-release.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 10:32 AM CST
And that's the last I'm going to bother to comment on this theoretical CM/425 change unless a GM chimes in, because we all know it'll never happen.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 11:45 AM CST
Prone creatures are definitely not immune to Cairn's Cry. I just finished a bandit bounty and used it multiple times after legging/tackling bandits.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 12:14 PM CST
>>Moving numbers around won't change a character's backstory

No it won't, unless as you propose a character has a backstory that relies on the very existence of some capability that subsequently changes because someone is playing with numbers, and not with characters.

I can certainly understand if you and others don't wish to acknowledge this possibility. I'm not even sure that's part of the reasons for so strong a stance from FirePheonix. It may be all numbers to him as well, for all I know.

But - I will ensure my point is understood. Play with numbers all you like, but don't close 'general' avenues of game play, please. Thank you. Although I am sure you probably don't want to acknowledge the point, since it doesn't support your driving perspective.I'm faced with this exact type of negativity all the time. Betcha didn't know what negative really means. . .

>>And that's the last I'm going to bother to comment on this theoretical CM/425 change unless a GM chimes in, because we all know it'll never happen.

Ahh, yep. I figured. . . Ok - I'll join in, unless some other well-intentioned but significantly altering suggestion comes back to the fore.

Still think you're missing the easiest of all solutions, though - just let warriors 3x CMAN.

Doug
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 10:20 PM CST
"Hurling" -- PFlats

For me, the issue with Thrown weapons arises from the DS issue.
Specifically, when you throw your weapon away, you now have, well, NO defense from your weapon (stance adjusted).

Ranged weapons, a.k.a. bows, have an extra prop in their hand. The bow. The system has been set up to say, "Give DS for a bow in the left hand." Unfortunately, if you don't have a bow in your left and you've thrown what was in your right, the system is set up to say, "Hey, look! No weapon, so no DS!"

Previously, I've suggested things like "have the 'hurl' verb trigger a short-duration effect of DS, to simulate range." We have--now, after several more years of development--a ton of short-term effects that get applied, everything from Martial Stances to spell cooldowns to treasure boosts to all sorts of things.

So maybe it's time to re-address the "use of 'hurl' verb triggers a short-duration DS effect" issue.
(It would sure help my Thrown guy, because I could untrain a whole stack of Brawling ranks that I currently have, in order to retain some empty-hand DS.)
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/02/2017 11:30 PM CST
Cross-check me on this, but. . .

if you are using a shield, with thrown, you've not really lost any DS in offensive, unless your weapon is a defender weapon.

And ahead of the curve, if a shield doesn't work with thrown - fix that!

Doug
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/03/2017 07:17 AM CST
>if you are using a shield, with thrown, you've not really lost any DS in offensive, unless your weapon is a defender weapon.

You've lost around 70 melee DS (exact number depending on stats and enchant) if capped in the weapon and without brawl training. Ranged DS will be unchanged in offensive (and will actually go up in other stances) Its not utterly terrible for a plate wearer, but its not negligible either, particularly if facing a flaring or heavily weighted opponent.

>Prone creatures are definitely not immune to Cairn's Cry. I just finished a bandit bounty and used it multiple times after legging/tackling bandits.

They are substantially immune to me (maybe 25% chance of freezing, 75% of shivering) because 4 cries per coup is way too much voice stress. I'll waste the voice trying it once if the bandit looks like it might die from a UAC attack, but if I don't get lucky I'll revert to punch/jab head. (or even grapple if I have position because its crit kill messaging makes coup look tame a lot of the time)

>Still think you're missing the easiest of all solutions, though - just let warriors 3x CMAN.

Monks are the ones that are short here, not warriors. 3x Cman on monks would be a neat way to deal with the lack of profession freebies, lack of shield skills, lack of postcap offense boost from spells, that monks have to face. That would make for a similar post cap offense boost and make the manoever learning potential of monks about 1/2 instead of 1/3 that of warriors. It still wouldn't do anything for the horrible lack of postcap DS and TD opportunity, but it would be a good start.

Capping CMan is a wrench, because adding ranks of manoevers is an important part of the feeling of progression for a square, but thats what cap does. Progression has to be shifted from the profession defining skills pre-cap to secondary boosters post cap. I get that there's a change of identity required on capping, but adding extra flab to an already flabby skill isn't going to chance that. There'd be more choice if the flab was cut, than if it was added to.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/03/2017 09:03 AM CST
>>You've lost around 70 melee DS (exact number depending on stats and enchant). . . Its not utterly terrible for a plate wearer, but its not negligible either, particularly if facing a flaring or heavily weighted opponent.

Is that all Parry DS? If so - make thrown function like brawling (always present if hand is empty) unless the hand has something (then add in the weapon enchant +2). Meaning for most average (vultite) thrown folks, in offensive it would be 5 DS lost.

>>Monks are the ones that are short here, not warriors.

Let monks play, too. I don't subscribe to the 'you can't have it, because I must have it' mentality.

>>I get that there's a change of identity required on capping, but adding extra flab to an already flabby skill isn't going to chance that. There'd be more choice if the flab was cut, than if it was added to.

Now, this. . . This is worth exploring. I fundamentally agree - but I'd also bet 99 out of 100 players wouldn't. This is not intuitive from a game play perspective, and as such ends up being one of those views 'forced' on a player base. Still - concept A+ and deserving of discussion.

Doug
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/03/2017 09:42 AM CST
>Let monks play, too. I don't subscribe to the 'you can't have it, because I must have it' mentality.

Let monks play in the first place. Its about warriors being already massively favored post cap, not about needing it to keep equality. It would deal with a real problem for monks, but just add flab for warriors.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/03/2017 12:18 PM CST

I don't know much about all this but for me personally allowing haste trinkets to be made even at such a high level now would make me happy. Still pissed off about that change.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/03/2017 01:18 PM CST
I think we've veered a little off topic hereski. Though I don't disagree about more monk perks.

In response to a few posts up the thread, I don't think MORE maneuvers via the CML is really necessary. A review of the required CMPs and a fair amount of the skills (use and effect and other particulars) though would be edging closer to what might be a solution for no-3x-CM. When I've some free time I can run through the list with suggestions for the warrior trainables or the list entirely.

Keep in mind though, I'm of the opinion that a CML review should make focusing on 'warrioresque' business a more appealing/beneficial avenue than spelltraining. An oversight that's easy to make however is considering the ramifications of both a more robust CML and spelltraining post cap in regards to like game balance.

Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/19/2017 01:30 PM CST
I'm listening. I'm more interested in cool play style ideas than I am about pure number tweaks, but I'm listening regardless.
Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey

I've been wondering about Warriors. I've got one that's passed level 20something that I play from time to time.

I got a few response from some that play warriors about how they utilize their spells or plan to utilize some later as they earn more TPs post-cap (though I was hoping to hear from a few more, perhaps more will respond). From the couple of response, it was kind of what I was expecting, I just wanted reassurance from those that have a capped/post-cap trained warrior.

>My opinion is that they aren't necessary at cap, but they are key for adding power post cap. My analysis of my brief forays into post cap areas, rapidly ended by death or lucky escape, is that I need to learn 430 before coming back.
RATHBONER

>I believe that spells are common practice once the core physical skills are achieved. That being said, I dropped down from 3x dodge to 2.5x dodge to learn 425 alittle faster after I capped because I was impatient. My warrior will stay at 425 for a while but I believe 430 is a common goal for the TD
>I frequently eblade my wooden weapon so I can hit things in the confluence.
CAVEMANIAC

If a warrior pushes to 425, they gain +25 to AS and the trade off is the hit to redux due to knowing so many spells.

If that same warrior were to push to 430, they'd have an AS boost of +27 from spell 425 and +15 DS/TD from 430.

If by some chance this warrior played long enough, earned enough TPs, they could max out their spell ranks of 101 MnE. I figure they'd max MnE to 101 and ignore MnS since they don't really need to learn 101 or 107, these spells are easily found on scrolls or can be shared from spiritual casters. They'd want to max out their AS boost and DS/TD boost, but I could be mistaken....however, I just don't see any "must have" spell from the MnS list for a warrior. If this warrior hit 101 MnE ranks, they will have maxed their 425 bonus (at 75 ranks) to +50 AS. They will also have maxed out their possible 430 bonus to +50 DS/TD.

If a warrior could 3x CM, that extra 101 ranks would make up the difference 75 ranks of MnE spells would give them. Extra 101 ranks gives +50 AS boost.
However, you're still missing out on the possible DS/TD boost of 430.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I was thinking of a trade off for warriors. I'm sure some would hate it, some would love it and anyone else not in one of those groups wouldn't even care.

The removal of a warrior being able to learn spells, but gain the ability to 3x CM.
Once a warrior hits level 100, open up CM to be 3x. This way they can start to train up extra CM. They earn 101 extra cman points, plus they can earn +50 AS from the extra 101 ranks.

I was thinking of a small boost to DS and ETD from high CM training. Nothing exciting, but a little something to offset the potential loss of learning 430. Maybe every 5 ranks of CM over 202 get a +1 to DS/TD. That'll grant +20 DS/TD.

A warrior that hits 303 CM, they'll have +50 AS and +20 DS/TD.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but thought it might be an interesting thing to suggest and see what others thought.

-Drumpel
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/19/2017 02:16 PM CST
I didn't go all in for 400s. I did 80 ranks in 400s and up to 120. Some minor TD/DS loss from possible 430 overtraining for higher amount of balanced TD, DS and other stuff from the 100s.

In addition to the spiritual TD, there is alot of utility (in both minor circles) that makes the game better and self sufficient. You're also forgetting 117, and lores that make both better.

I would like 3x CM but not at the cost of spells, any longer. Not without seriously more benefit than +50 AS and +20 DS/TD and increasing the cost of that CM to what 101 ranks of spells is (that's not happening but otherwise it is a huge nerf for the experience earned). Also, the DS/TD from CM doesn't make sense unless it is coming from new cmans and we get up to 303 cman pts, and is permanent.

Or, do as Drumpel suggests and give us postcap rewards that makes up for all of this and more to separate 7.8M exp and postcap. However, I don't think any postcap system would add in the quantity of utility and growth of the spell circles postcap, and it should really be a bonus for end game not n inferior replacement for what is possible now.
Re: Last Try for 2016! 01/19/2017 08:19 PM CST
I understand the desire for 3x CM but not at that cost. I have to agree that it would be a large loss in utility, offense and defense. It cannot be understated how much of a hit this would be for any warrior hunting in the rift or spell burst areas