Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/01/2016 06:43 PM CDT
So, this just happened while I was trying to be careful by not berserking through the basalt hillock:

You swing a perfect silvery mithril greataxe at a cinder wasp!
AS: +327 vs DS: +198 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +42 = +210
... and hit for 95 points of damage!
Powerful slash!
The cinder wasp's left leg is severed at the knee!
The cinder wasp totally ignores its missing leg, attacking with complete concentration.
The cinder wasp careens to the ground and crumples in a heap.

Barely breaking your momentum, you continue on to attack a wasp nest!

You swing a perfect silvery mithril greataxe at a wasp nest!
AS: +302 vs DS: +179 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +20 = +178
... and hit for 33 points of damage!
Suddenly a swarm of wasps erupts from the wasp nest, filling the air with the dreadful droning of their wings! The enraged wasps block out the sky as they swoop down to defend their nest!

The great swarm descends upon you! Their glistening stingers hammer into you over and over, and you feel your life slipping away as you collapse.
You feel the extra courage wane.
The layer of protection fades away.
A faint silvery glow fades from around you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

Is there any way to turn off the wasp nests from the targetting list for Executioner's Stance?
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/02/2016 10:38 PM CDT
Things like this is why i could never take this stance. Thats on top of thr hell no Attack Strength penalty it has on the 2nd target.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/02/2016 11:33 PM CDT
And it tops out at 50% activation rate, so you can never actually rely on it. You're better off just MSTRIKE-ing than hoping Executioner's will fire.

And it doesn't activate on MSTRIKE. And if the first swing was aimed, the second one won't be. And it's at the expense of not using Mongoose or Griffin stances.

Executioner's stance is bad.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/02/2016 11:34 PM CDT
Oh yeah, and you have to pay a 6 point pre-req to even be able to learn it. C'mon.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/03/2016 09:15 AM CDT
Or maybe it is useful, in a setting where there are not "auto-kill you for hitting them" monster generators...

(Like man-sized targets in light armor while you're swinging a claidhmore, for example.)
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/03/2016 01:33 PM CDT
I think the body flinging mechanic should happen much more often and/or effect multiple creatures like Shield trample. Also, I think the chance of activation should increase when the creature is stunned/bound/prone so the stance can live up to its name.

I dont have an issue with the targeting in this instance, however. Be careful in areas like these or areas where Cloak of Shadows is an issue for example. A good solution would be to reduce the stamina cost to 20 so you can use the stance tactically or have a toggle like cman mobility.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/03/2016 07:01 PM CDT
Or maybe it is useful, in a setting where there are not "auto-kill you for hitting them" monster generators...
(Like man-sized targets in light armor while you're swinging a claidhmore, for example.)

A free second swing on a kill! Awesome!

It is more useful than not using a martial stance. Have you played around with it much? I have. Used it in hunting grounds and in invasions. I migrated away from it. It's a bad stance. Why?

Thats on top of thr hell no Attack Strength penalty it has on the 2nd target.

And it tops out at 50% activation rate, so you can never actually rely on it. You're better off just MSTRIKE-ing than hoping Executioner's will fire.

Assuming it doesn't block/parry/dodge(say 10%), or I don't fumble my ambush roll and hit a non-lethal body part(say 10%), or I don't roll a rank 5 head crit and not kill the target(20%).

So yes, 50%90%*90%80% = 36.5% of the time, I get a free unaimed swing on a second target in the room at -25 AS.

It's almost definitely not going to kill it, so I'm going to have to take another swing anyway.

Even in the ideal situation, where it's just a 2v1 and you're worried about even more creatures, the skill is a lucky bonus. It's not reliable enough to depend on, so you'll want to disable the other creature first.

If I need to hit two guys at once, I could just MSTRIKE. Or I could use Bellow to give them RT, and hit them both in the head individually. Or Berserk.

Those work far more reliably, don't cost 30 CM points to learn, and let you still have your Stance slot for a stance that does more useful things. Like Griffin's Voice, to Bellow even more, and hunt with Holler up while using Cry. Or Mongoose, to counterattack while you're berserking at things that don't stun.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/03/2016 07:01 PM CDT
can't edit posts, first bolding is all multiplication
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 07:26 AM CDT
>Assuming it doesn't block/parry/dodge(say 10%), or I don't fumble my ambush roll and hit a non-lethal body part(say 10%), or I don't roll a rank 5 head crit and not kill the target(20%).

This is a reason for not using it at cap, not for saying it has no use for anyone. I think it comes much higher up the list at low or mid level than at cap. Just like bonding rank 5 is pretty useless at cap, but was pretty neat when I first got it.

I think its also a lot more attractive in small group situations than solo or invasion situations. If you hunt with another warrior in a small group, even at cap it can be a pretty attractive option. I wouldn't touch it solo at cap, for the same reasons you give, and the same reasons I don't ever expect to use the rank 5 setting on bond again, but hunting regularly with another warrior, it works well, and I think it works well at lower levels when aiming and MOC skill are low.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 02:44 PM CDT
< Just like bonding rank 5 is pretty useless at cap>

I wouldn't call it useless!

There may be more commonly used options, but even a EBPed aimed open attack can swing back around for a hit (if that is your go to). And for heavy mstrike/berserkers, it actually banks so after awhile guaranteed next eligible attack has a second swing.

Sometimes even non GoSers draw heavily on stamina for damage through cmans, mstrike, berserk and a good old fashioned ambush/kill/attack is in order and that helps overcome EBP or increase damage, regardess of DF/weapon base.

I wouldn't mind a refresh of the cman but the other options for bond I remember as worse.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 02:48 PM CDT
But yea executioner's stance sounds a little weak, except for the fun messaging/effect of sending a body into next room.

I'd be opposed to multiple bowling pin effects like shield trample because that just seems too unrealistic a mental image. As does trample at five, but somewhat comical and less so than a single weapon doing all that.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 03:28 PM CDT
But yea executioner's stance sounds a little weak, except for the fun messaging/effect of sending a body into next room.
I'd be opposed to multiple bowling pin effects like shield trample because that just seems too unrealistic a mental image. As does trample at five, but somewhat comical and less so than a single weapon doing all that.

I suddenly and immediately want Captain America's shield throw as a shield specialization. Multitarget shield bash for characters with thrown ranks.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 03:30 PM CDT

I suddenly and immediately want Captain America's shield throw as a shield specialization. Multitarget shield bash for characters with thrown ranks. Stuns and minor damage instead of the knockdowns from trample, favors a smaller shield rather than the big one for trample.

http://i.imgur.com/SyX9xhJ.gif
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 04:37 PM CDT
Maybe for blunts/maul type only, limited to three. Anything with an edge would get stuck in one target or cleave through, or maybe two if we're getting comic like impressive. But 5?

I feel like a Three Stooges routine instead of maybe 300 when I see 5 trampled foes in one move.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 05:24 PM CDT
That intro scene from Winter Soldier made me reeeally want to convert to a UAC/shield build. Every Captain America movie does that, actually.
Re: Executioner's Stance and Targetting 11/04/2016 05:55 PM CDT
Bonding rank 5 isnt useless its just not an ideal implementation. At cap it does come in handy when hunting somewhere like the Confluence where you will be mstriking frequently.

I've said it before but among other upgrades I think bonding flares should have normal flare mechanics so warriors can benefit on mstrikes and berserks.