Prev_page Previous 1
Warrior AS 07/17/2014 03:38 PM CDT
I was reading another thread and contemplated what I would personally like to see for the profession I care about most. Warriors. I'd love to see some dev putting warrior AS more in line with paladins and bards. I think its kind of ridiculous if we want to even get close we have to learn a bunch of spells which definitely doesnt fit with my view of how a warrior should be.

Im not sure what the answer would be, I think there could be plenty of options to fix this. I think I remember once a NIR suggesting maybe something like each rank of bonding adding +10 to AS instead of 2 per rank. I think that would be a great start. I also thought maybe a more attractive option for training could be added. Something that cost about the same amount as spells(I get you would probably want to keep people from just doing both for double benefit) for the +50 bonus but was phsyical and could add the bonus that way. Right now my AS is 574ish and thats with an 8x weapon. If I berserk in a crowd of pures like in ithzir its pretty much going to cost a deed. It would be nice if non giant non 425 maxed bonus warriors had a ok chance at living cause their AS was high enough berserking or not having to set up every pure with feint.
Re: Warrior AS 07/17/2014 04:21 PM CDT

I agree with this 100%. Other classes have like a 150 point AS advantage over us under normal spell circumstances at cap. I can apply many of those spells with scrolls, but jeez. Not whining too much. I can still kick some butt, but closing that gap by say 50 points would be nice. Like SHAYD said. Maybe bond or cmans is the answer.
Re: Warrior AS 07/17/2014 05:08 PM CDT

Ahh, this old chestnut...

I suppose as good a time as any to make my every several annual public motion to allow warriors to 3x Combat Maneuvers. I'm on the record, as are other warriors, over the years, as pointing this out as the low hanging fruit of the bafflingly unbalanced warrior AS issue. Let me once again list some of the high points of the favorite (if perenially denied) potential solution!

a) it would be extremely expensive in terms of TP/exp cost, so its definitely not a giveaway and might not even be doable at lower levels (which is okay, to me, as the AS gap really starts to open up between warriors and semis at high levels much more than lower levels).

b) the actual increase to AS would be merely +50 at full 3x over current, which doesn't, truly, even approach the deficit between the semi class' AS, but gives warriors a little extra oomph

c) increases the extremely tight CMAN point pool which would make the logical sense of allowing warriors access to an increased variety of CMANs (and of course, no CMAN is in and of itself really overpowering, this would be an increase in options/variety much more than actual increase in power).

...And as ever, let me mention that while I know that over the years it has been implied that 3x CM will never happen, none-the-less, I continue to call for it!

3x Combat Maneuvers! The answer that has been staring us in the face for years!

*Mohrgan's player, who remains committed to spreading the gospel of 3x CMANs for warriors even after all these years*
Re: Warrior AS 07/17/2014 05:14 PM CDT

It also occurs to me that one of the reasons that 3x CMANs has so long been denied is that it might unbalance things like Damage Reduction and Maneuver rolls (offensive and defensive), to which I might just suggest a severely diminished return be applied to CMAN ranks beyond 202 for those mechanics.

*Mohrgan should've included an analysis of and potential solutions to the downsides off his thesis, as anyone who's ever taken a rhetoric course would've have remembered to do*
Re: Warrior AS 07/17/2014 11:23 PM CDT
Roblar and Jeril hit amongst the hardest in the game and both of them are Warriors.
Re: Warrior AS 07/17/2014 11:59 PM CDT

And they use all those spells we are talking about that we shouldn't have to use as well as one of a kind equipment. Having equipment worth 100 mil a pop to increase your AS 50 more isn't the point.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 12:44 AM CDT
We've mapped out Attack Strength in general here:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?88511-Highest-Theoretical-AS-Inquiry&highlight=highest+theoretical+AS
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 09:22 AM CDT
I've also preached 3x CM for years. Where CM is used in other formulas, it can be capped at 2x. This is already done with other skills, like perception in the hurling formula for example.

Kerl
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 10:26 AM CDT
3x CM would work just fine for me.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 11:16 AM CDT
I'd love 3x CM. Wouldn't really be able to afford it before cap, but it would make a big difference after that.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 03:37 PM CDT
>Roblar and Jeril hit amongst the hardest in the game and both of them are Warriors.

Its kind of silly when deciding if warrior AS is lacking if you only look at 2 warriors with 30mil experience or higher. I cant imagine one warrior has maxed out 425 bonus before cap and if they did they'd be so mutant they would be on par with the scroll warrior. When you envision a warrior do you really think of a semi using tons of spells? Or a grunting sweaty beast who swings and berserks? I know which one I think of.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 03:47 PM CDT

My Warrior is 28 mil xp in Shattered and I haven't maxed out 425 bonus, long way from it in fact, probably looking at somewhere around 35 million perhaps.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 06:17 PM CDT
<Its kind of silly when deciding if warrior AS is lacking if you only look at 2 warriors with 30mil experience or higher. I cant imagine one warrior has maxed out 425 bonus before cap and if they did they'd be so mutant they would be on par with the scroll warrior. When you envision a warrior do you really think of a semi using tons of spells? Or a grunting sweaty beast who swings and berserks? I know which one I think of. >

I completely agree and would love cman bond/specialization & 3x CM or equivalent. Spell casting is not what I ever envisioned Roblar doing (exact opposite), but useful martial skills are done.

And neither of us have maxed out 425 (I don't even have 425 yet!). Without sacrificing those martial skills that I hold more dear, that would still take awhile.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 06:37 PM CDT
>I completely agree and would love cman bond/specialization & 3x CM or equivalent. Spell casting is not what I ever envisioned Roblar doing (exact opposite), but useful martial skills are done.

I really am not looking forward to getting so much exp that spells are all I have left either. I just didnt want extreme post capped warriors clouding the issue of what I was trying to say. Hypothetically if you use every scroll, have all the spells and an enormous amount of post cap exp to do it all isnt the same to me as saying semis outswing warriors by a hefty amount as a general statement. I would imagine the list of warriors who put up all the scroll spells and know 425 is such a minute amount of players(if any?) and the upkeep on such would be pretty insane.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 09:18 PM CDT
<I really am not looking forward to getting so much exp that spells are all I have left either. I just didnt want extreme post capped warriors clouding the issue of what I was trying to say. Hypothetically if you use every scroll, have all the spells and an enormous amount of post cap exp to do it all isnt the same to me as saying semis outswing warriors by a hefty amount as a general statement. I would imagine the list of warriors who put up all the scroll spells and know 425 is such a minute amount of players(if any?) and the upkeep on such would be pretty insane.>

Fair and true. It's probably limited to about 6, but once you hit the AS cap through training, race, and CMANs it's natural to work on gear enchantment and enhancives or spell-knowledge items and scroll combinations. Once you do that it's spells or you're done.

Your average capped warrior is going to see 403 AS from CM and Weapon Skill, 35-40 for strength bonus (assuming elves, humans, dwarves, and giants are mixed), a 7x (+35) weapon (to be fair), then 20 more for bonding and weapon specialization. This puts your average decent capped warrior at 498 + society. Mix in a few spells on top of that and society and you're in the 535ish range.

Paladins at cap don't usually have full CM, but gain a minimum of +8 from patrons blessing, 30 from zealot (dangerous), 10 from dauntless, and lore training for about 38 additional AS, but like I said they don't usually have 202 CM so it's kind of a wash. Lets assume they do max CM at cap or by about 105th they'll go about 575 AS as an average decent capped paladin.

3x CM with a cap on CMAN points will generate 50 AS, the 101st is useless except for in odd instances. This would place Warriors in the 585 AS range or about 10 over a paladin. Now if Warriors get 3x CM would rogues?

Does 50 AS accomplish what we're looking for?

-Geijon
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 10:08 PM CDT
Paladins would likely have lore that adds to zealot AS boost and takes away the dangerous(?) ds drop. Im not sure if lore effects any of the other AS boosts, maybe I just notice the craziest well geared paladins but they all seem to have about a 700 AS at cap. Maybe they're the Jeril and Roblar version for paladins and have 30mil+ exp for all I know.

50-100 AS boost for warriors would be good enough for me! I really like the 3x cm idea as it gives something to train in other than spells.

I dont know if rogues would or not but it wouldnt bother me if they did. Im not concerned with those sneaky thieving types! Should toss the lot of them under the jail.
Re: Warrior AS 07/18/2014 10:22 PM CDT
Geijon,

50 AS accomplished it just fine in my opinion. That would about even the playing field. And yes, Rogues get it too.

-Madmountan
Re: Warrior AS 07/19/2014 09:47 AM CDT

>> I really am not looking forward to getting so much exp that spells are all I have left either. I just didnt want extreme post capped warriors clouding the issue of what I was trying to say. Hypothetically if you use every scroll, have all the spells and an enormous amount of post cap exp to do it all isnt the same to me as saying semis outswing warriors by a hefty amount as a general statement. I would imagine the list of warriors who put up all the scroll spells and know 425 is such a minute amount of players(if any?) and the upkeep on such would be pretty insane.

I completely agree with that. My 28 mil Warrior in Shatter is a mutant build as far as I'm concerned. Warriors definitely should not need outside spells (or 425) to have a decent AS. That is counter to the very concept of the profession. I did it just because it was mutant and I wanted to see what it was like.

3x CM is one solution
Another option would be a new Weapon Spec type CM just for warriors that gives 10AS per rank, but has a level requirement on it so that you don't end up with low level characters training it. In fact I would not mind seeing both 3x CM and a very expensive +10AS per rank Cman. Make it something only a post cap warrior could train.
Re: Warrior AS 07/19/2014 10:35 AM CDT
>> 3x CM with a cap on CMAN points will generate 50 AS, the 101st is useless except for in odd instances. This would place Warriors in the 585 AS range or about 10 over a paladin

>> 3x CM is one solution
Another option would be a new Weapon Spec type CM just for warriors that gives 10AS per rank, but has a level requirement on it so that you don't end up with low level characters training it. In fact I would not mind seeing both 3x CM and a very expensive +10AS per rank Cman. Make it something only a post cap warrior could train.

So if something along these lines was implemented would you also remove the ability for warriors to learn Minor elemental spells entirely as a trade-off?

-- Robert
Re: Warrior AS 07/19/2014 11:30 AM CDT
>So if something along these lines was implemented would you also remove the ability for warriors to learn Minor elemental spells entirely as a trade-off?

How about instead just tripling or higher the cost of the spells so I can still wear minor elemental in the rift as a spell I could know but dont.
Re: Warrior AS 07/19/2014 11:32 PM CDT
Another solution perhaps is in Multi-Opponent Combat? Since only Warriors and Monks can double in it, preface it with "After years of mastering the craft, you feel comfortable applying your training to focus an increased strike."

Formula as follows : Multi-Opponent Combat ranks - 100 = x, then x / 2 = +<y> AS.

Doubling Multi-Opponent ranks for Warriors is 8/6 ( conveniently the same training cost to double CM ) and Monks would be 10/4. Since those two professions are the more martial of the Squares group, and Rogues the more magical you would not have to increase TP costs for magic for any of the professions and reinforce mastery of melee combat for Warriors and Monks.

~James/Stunseed

PS: For the math folks in the room, PEMDAS should work for that one.
Re: Warrior AS 07/20/2014 12:13 AM CDT
Spells for a Warrior is a post cap thing, and even then, not until after all the normal fighting skills are done. As I mentioned, I consider it a mutant path, but I wouldn't take that away from a warrior any more than I'd take War Wizard away from wizards, or Warpaths away from Empaths. The difference between the three, is that two of those are viable from day one, with the warrior, however, spells are really only affordable after cap.
Re: Warrior AS 07/20/2014 03:09 PM CDT
and by post cap for 425/430/120 and working on the 425 AS cap it's 165th-240th level equivalent worth of XP.
Re: Warrior AS 07/20/2014 10:44 PM CDT
I've got 41 ranks of MnE, and 120 MnS, and it's taken me to 27.2 million xp to get there, which is closing in on four times cap. This is definitely not something a typical capped warrior is going to have, not for a long time at least. It will take millions more xp to finish out the MnE spell ranks to cap the benefit of 425.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging my mutant warrior and the fact that he has those spells, I specifically wanted him to get capped in spells just to see what it would be like and I'm not regretting it, but I think there should definitely be something available for warriors that doesn't require going 5x cap to complete.
Re: Warrior AS 07/21/2014 09:05 AM CDT
"3x CM with a cap on CMAN points will generate 50 AS, the 101st is useless except for in odd instances." -- Geijon

Actually, CM is one of the 'actual rounding' (as opposed to 'truncate' [or 'integer', depending on what you're used to]) calcs in GemStone. (Bardic SpellSongs is the other big one.) For calculating AS from CM, 1 == 2.
(That is to say: 1 rank, when 2 ranks == +1 AS, so you divide 1 by 2, you get "+1 AS" as the answer.)

101 ranks == +51 AS. 202 ranks == +101 AS. 303 ranks would == +152 AS.
Re: Warrior AS 08/10/2014 09:36 PM CDT
Well, and those 101 extra CMPs would be a bit of a boon. Instead of say ~6 functional CMs (not including CMs only taken to one or two ranks for prerequisite purposes), that number would be closer to nine to ten. It leaves a lot more room for warriors to diversify their skills, rather than the bread and butter skills we're basically regulated to with only 202 CMPs. I don't think it's that gamebreaking, really.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!
Re: Warrior AS 08/10/2014 10:32 PM CDT
Asked for at Simucon and denied, too difficult/unbalancing (3x CM for warriors).

As for cman points, I think that could be more easily achieved by lowering the cman costs. There was supposed to be a review but not sure what happened with that - I understand the intent is to choose and differentiate but there has been alot of new cmans added since it was released and no clear cookie cutter should emerge.
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 02:08 AM CDT
What they should do is give warriors 3x cman in the test instance and let some of us go to town.
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 11:13 AM CDT
So 3x CM has been denied, were there any suggestions for alternatives, or even an acknowledgement that Warrior AS is lacking?
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 11:42 AM CDT
There were too many questions being reasd in the chat/stream, Warrior AS wasn't really discussed further as the question was only about 3x CM.

I'd think the alternative of using CMANs (bond, specialization rewrites and some new ones) is both more likely and feasible than a rewrite of the training skills.
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 12:02 PM CDT
Someone in the chat asked at the roundtable a question like "are there any plans to bring warrior AS in line with bard and paladin AS?" . The Dev GM answered, and I am paraphrasing from memmory here, that there were no plans to change warrior AS for now, warriors are in a pretty good place and they have alot of set up type abilities so AS isn't everything. Probably not what you guys want to hear, but it does more generally answer the question vs 3x CM only.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 03:03 PM CDT
3x CM has been denied a bunch of times. That doesn't mean it isn't a good solution. Reallocation was denied about thousands of times, then suddenly it was normal, thanks to the vision of GM Warden. Eventually someone will see why 3x CM makes sense.

On a side note, you can see the side effects of changes, and often they are unintended consequences. For example, let's take a look at semi-dux. I personally don't think it should have happened, because semi's have a ton of options, where warriors really don't. But setting that argument aside for a moment, what were the unintended side effects? Besides mutant empaths, capped warriors are becoming semi's. And why wouldn't they? When you get to about 3x cap, you have all the TPs you need to learn spells up to 430 without sacrificing a typical training plan. And with semi-dux not being that much worse than the weakened full redux, the trade off is pretty attractive.

And yet, most warriors doing it would quickly tell you that they'd rather train up 3x CM instead, or train in some other physical skill, but what's left to train in? The answer is nothing.

Kerl
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 03:58 PM CDT
Veering just a little off topic, but considering how many times 3x CM has been denied, an alternative could be weapon talents- much like the more recent and pretty awesome Shield Skills. Mostly passive skills, of course, as the myriad of martial stances currently available between the CML and SML are sufficiently rocking.

One point per rank, 202 ranks per weapon category, etc. A fair idea would be say one big ole general list but certain, more specialized skills having prerequisites for training in that weapon's category. So a skill like 'Pommel Strike' (passive chance to follow up attacks with a minor crushing attack in the vein of an SML minor shield bash?) would require either OHE or THW with a weaponspec in a bladed weapon, etc.

I would wager it would be a fix that, while not providing that full +51 AS or the added effectiveness in defending against CMs (and thus not unbalancing as claimed to be), would provide a lot more how you say uniqueness to builds, and possibly an incentive to pick up other weapon categories other than just for diminishing returns for damage reduction in lieu of spells and going the warrior-semi route. Plus, the groundwork for such a thing is already laid out pretty well between AML, CML and SML. Really just an idea I guess- I could come up with examples, but the lazy.

Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 04:26 PM CDT
I think I'd rather see something to train in. As much as I love the gimmies that we effectively got via CML, SML and AML, I'd rather have to train that ugly, third rank in CM to gain a bit more AS. We have a plethora of set up maneuvers, and I'm not sure I need another one made with a pommel instead of a shield etc. It would be kind of cool though, and I bet some people could come up with some good ones.

The problem though is that warriors are outgunned. The only way we excel is via ginormous expenditures in gear. It's as simple as that. For as long as the game has existed, this has been the case. Square = gear. Pure = no fancy gear required. So since we have to stand around with our $#%@s in our hands waiting for the counter attack, I'd like to see a little bit of extra oomph to the attack strength. even at an absurd cost.

Kerl
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 04:44 PM CDT
True true. Though some of these passive skills could be in the vein of DS reductions/stance cleaving, RT adders, weighting flares, etc. There'd still be setup necessary, which is I think sort of intended (can't find the references but i vaguely recall there being sentiment that combat is too brief from dev NIRs and they would prefer it to last a little longer), but far less than usual and the ability to pack that extra oomph we're looking for. Think enough that we wouldn't be constantly running into situations where even despite the full 'This thing must die' setup (feint, disarm, sunder, go for the head), the mob somehow manages to maintain a 500+ DS dismantled and in offensive. That's a 31 (7+12+12) stamina sinking failboat.

Though I suppose one could argue those types of skills kind of encroach on rogues' ambushing or 'we already have skills for that' like Mighty Blow (not great) or Spell Cleaving (...eh, never seen anyone use it, so that doesn't speak to its quality). Those are active skills with large stamina sinks for little gain, if any. Why use Mighty Blow on the big mob if I know he's got a huge chance to EBP it? I'll go for the focused mstrike instead. Why use Spell Cleave on a dude once every 30-60 seconds and try to reduce one spell, when ..again, lay on the focused mstrikes and end the thing. Vhich is vhy rolling them into passive skills would be, you know, lil' better.

On the topic of that extra oomph, I tend to always hunt with Riend, and there are few things as emasculating as being yon post-cap warrior and hunting with a decently post-cap archer semi-rogue. Whatever we're fighting is eyeballed before I've recovered from my first feint, because ahem, swinging at something while it's turtled is silly.

Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 05:17 PM CDT
...though, I did just suddenly remember that Weapon Bonding has some of those effects already. Inconsistent as they may be, but they're there, blowin' my arguments out of the water a little. OOPS. I've admittedly had it set on 5 for yeeeeears.

Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 07:27 PM CDT

>The problem though is that warriors are outgunned.

This is the crux of the matter and is what bears repeating, even though we've just heard for the Xth time that the solution won't involve 3x CMAN. This is the sticking point. The problem is that AS, and AS quite specifically, is out of balance where squares are concerned. It's simply the case; warrior AS is significantly lower than semi AS, and that doesn't make sense. Maybe there was a round table discussion at Con where the staff stated that they don't see it as an issue, maybe there wasn't, I wasn't there. But we who play high train warriors DO see it, and it's every time we go hunting. It's the reason this issue keeps coming up.

3x CMANs is, in my opinion, the most obvious way to address it, but apparently, the collateral game balance issues that arise with this fix are too unbalancing. I can accept that, even if I don't necessarily agree. But what I really struggle to accept is the notion that warrior AS isn't an issue, which seems to be the consensus, either overtly or passively by omission. And to be sure, I've never heard this stated overtly by anyone on staff, so I don't make any accusations. It may well just be an omission or it may be intended or it may just be that no one has come up with a solution that's acceptable (though years of posts on the warrior boards have not lacked for suggestions).

AS may not be everything but it's certainly the most-thing. And in any case, that answer still doesn't address "why;" why semis should have such illogically consistent access to so much more of it than squares. The fact that the physical classes don't have the superior (or even equivalent) physical attack strength just doesn't make sense, and that's simply how I see it. More variety in set ups whose efficacy is also capped in a more or less horizontal manner does not offset it, particularly at end game where even a post-cap warrior isn't going to be able to outmaneuver post-cap enemies in many cases with any great efficacy.

If it's not to be 3x CMANs, that's fine, but it IS an issue and the notion that our relatively higher variety of set-ups offsets the glaring AS gap just is not borne out by experience.

Respectfully,
-Mohrgan's player

Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 10:14 PM CDT
Yep. I asked it Friday night as "Kerl has requested for some time if Warriors could get 3x CM with a capped CMAN approach" and Mestys responded it wasn't going to happen. It looks like it got asked Saturday or later Friday again in bringing AS in line with Paladins and Bards and was similarly denied.

This is a good conversation. I'd also add that I'm not a mutant build yet and Kerl explained it well, but I plan on doing it far sooner than most and maybe in lieu of 3x dodge.

-Geijon
Re: Warrior AS 08/11/2014 10:21 PM CDT
I'll second Kerl's comment here on the ginormous gear expenditure Warriors undertake to compete. I have capped enhanced strength, near called enhanced two-handed weapon bonus, and a decent amount of CM on top of a 10x maul while being a Giantman. I also have a dauntless item, all my society symbols, pure potions, benediction gems, and scrolls.

My play style has always been swashbucklery to hit hard while being fast and I was a late adopter to heavy armor (my armor is silly at this point too), but when I think of the others who hit hard end-game, some of whom hold back more than I do, we're all similarly decked out with every imaginable booster. The only thing I have left that a few of them have is to go for elemental targeting (425) and push the +75 boost cap with the attached redux penalty.

At the same time without 120 and 430 basically a naked sorcerer with modest training or any CS based caster can ward me and kill me instantly with a single spell or two.

-Geijon
Re: Warrior AS 08/12/2014 08:54 AM CDT
By: KRAKII
Re: Higher CS
On: 7/21/2009
At: 9:20:52 AM
##: 8769

Unfortunately, the GS4 conversion was a great time to totally divorce the CS-casting system from Spell Research and turn it into a double-trainable skill (for those professions who should, by class design, be the ones most likely to double-train in that skill)...
...and the GMs walked right past it.

I suggested this back when the deICE was going on--because that was also a great time to do it, "gigantic changes in mechanics" and all--so that we would then have three different kind of combat skills:
- weapon skills
- bolt skills
- warding skills

Some professions could double in one, some could double in more than one, some--maybe Semis?--could even double in all three... but of course, the training point costs would be astronomical.

And, of course, that would just be for the actual attack skill. What you were attacking with would be something else entirely. (Learning the actual spells.)

I would've done it as:
+ the Minor lists being all the attack spells (and open to Squares, at single-train grade in Spell Research), so this would enable Sorcerers to get access to, basically, three lists of attacks [in keeping with them being the big wreckers of the place];
+ the Major lists having all the defense spells and self-cast spells [like Targetting, Bravery, Heroism, RapidFire, whatever], so the pure-Realm casters would reap the benefits of that;
* separated "mana gain" from "level gain" [they actually did do this one!].

For the skills:
+ decide whether any of your Semis are going to bolt- or warding-based, and allow them access there at comparable costs to their weapon skills (maybe one Semi [Bards?] would be Warding-based [could double warding/single bolt], one [Rangers?] would be bolt-based [Flare, Web?] [could double bolt/single warding], and one [Paladins?] would be more physical [could only single both bolt & warding]?) where applicable;
+ allow Squares to single-train in bolts, warding, spell research, and mana; allow bolt-based pure classes [Wizards] to cheaply train in bolts, significantly more expensively train in warding; Sorcerers could conceivably double-train in both but it would be kind of expensive (this would be one of those "do you want to be a bolting caster or a warding caster?" kinds of decisions); other pures would need to have a design decision made: are they supposed to be bolters or warders? Set training costs appropriately.

That way you could have someone (like, ohhh, a Sorcerer) choose to only learn ten or a dozen spells in order to get the attack forms, and then fully double in both Warding Attacks and Bolt Attacks and be a just horrendous killing machine.

But did they do it? Either time? Nnnn--ooooooo. :(

So we still have issues of Warding attacks being tied to Spell Research, which means that someone who only single-trains [any Square, most Semis] at best is screwed if they're casting from the same list as someone who can triple-train.

And a follow-up a week later:

By: KRAKII
Re: Higher CS
On: 7/28/2009
At: 8:34:59 AM
##: 8788

Re-visiting this issue briefly because I was reminded of something else last night when I was leafing through "Creatures & Treasures" volumes 1, 2, and 3. (I admit, mostly I was reading the "Most Potent"-and "Artifact"-level goodies. :)

And that was the whole "multi-train in a skill" issue. The final thing that I would've done in the game redesign--either one of them! [deICE, GS4 conversion]--would be to, once and for all, decide what the deal is with multi-train capability. Romulus, way back when, was talking to Sorcerers about things like Mana Share or Aimed Spells and how the assumption was that if you could double-train in it, then it was part of the profession design that you should be training (at least single) in it.
Except no-one had ever TOLD any of the players about that.

So I would have done two things:
1) Clearly delineate what's what with multi-training.
"If you can triple in it, then the assumption is that you will be singled in it; you may commonly double in it; you might (by choosing to specialize) triple in it. This is a core capability of your profession, and you will be assumed to be a mutant beyond the pale of intended design if you do not at least single in it."
"If you can double in it, then the assumption is that you will dabble in it [.5x or more]; you may commonly single in it; you might double in it."
"If you can only single in it, then the assumption is that your profession doesn't care diddly about the skill; you might dabble in it [anything up to 1x] but will never be any damn good at it."

2) Resolve the whole issue of singled being pretty darn good. (Krakii was rolled up with the premise that from levels 30 through 40 she would be exactly as good with her weapons as a Fighter of the same level... and 30+ level fighters were as common as the proverbial virgin with a bag of gold crossing the Empire and arriving with both.)
If you can triple in a skill, then your ranks are on a 6/5/4/3/2/1 progression.
If you can double in a skill, your ranks follow the 5/4/3/2/1 progression that we know.
If you can only single in a skill, your ranks are on a 4/3/2/1 progression.

Forty ranks would be worth 180 skill, or 140 skill, or 100 skill. (Same number of ranks; different skill amount.)

Whereas three people who "max trained" at the same level might have 150 ranks, 100 ranks, and 50 ranks. Their skill values would be 300, 200, and 110. [I threw a bit of a bone to the single-trainers.] By golly, but doesn't that look damn nearly like 3x, 2x, and 1x?!? For, respectively, "triple" and "double" and "single"? Well, damn.

The biggest reason to do this would be combat. The problem that GemStone has always had is that they did not truly implement RoleMaster combat training, wherein you trained in specific weapons (or for boltcasters, specific Directed Spells [your skill for "lightning bolt" might be very different from your skill for "fireball"]) rather than in types of weapons; the cost was assigned by type ["all 1HEdged weapons cost this much"] and then you trained in specifics ["I learn dagger and short sword and longsword and falchion, one rank each."].

This meant that Semi professions started out as good as a Fighter with their weapons, and then got spell-goodies on top. Pure CASTING professions could get to be as good as a Fighter with their weapons, plus defenses, plus disablers; Krakii was one, for crying out loud.
What it should have been was "Fighters start out damn good... and then the rest of y'all are playing catch-up", rather than "by golly, we better implement CMans so that Fighters actually have something."

Imagine if the skill costs were such that Fighters commonly singled in all weapons and often doubled in several [or just doubled in one or two], and Semis very rarely were any more than Singled. Fighters would have the highest Weapon capabilities, and Semis would be using their magics to "catch up"...
...kind of like how it should have been. :)
Prev_page Previous 1