Possibly raise TD 06/14/2012 03:39 PM CDT
From what I can gather most warriors TDs are around 350-400 at cap. Most pure professions have a CS of 480-550 at cap. Even with a CvA -21 it's always a hit. Not even a chance of a miss. Can use the CMAN generic TD raiser for another +10 but couldn't there be a skill that a warrior normally trains in that could help?

Most pures, only cast from defensive stance. DS is typically 600-800 but if a caster would use a spell it instantly does damage or crit kills. (3 second mental RT)

Warriors would have to feint (6 second physical RT) and then swing for another 4-8 second RT.

spell users don't have to feint or do anything else to drag their opponents DS down. Just use a CS spell and it's a hit.

Just wondering if there would be a way to raise a warriors TD. I'm not saying +50 at cap but even 20-30 would help somewhat against a instant crit kill on 705, 415 or any spell for that fact.

I just the the RT portion is out of wack or TD needs raised. It's really dumb being overwhelmed by spell casting ijiots. Critters are harder when older and I've noticed my TD doesn't stand a chance on some of their magic

~Player of Orsu~
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/14/2012 05:54 PM CDT
Against most creatures my TD is fine at cap and other then the rift there are other spells I could wear to increase my TD even more if I really felt like. Comparing TD/CS of players is a moot point because this isn't a PvP oriented game. Up until cap, and even at cap a warrior could hunt without spells if they really wanted to. I'll admit that I am too lazy to go that route and wear spells often as do most people. But there are a couple that I know of who don't often wear spells at cap, might be more out there to.
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/14/2012 06:46 PM CDT

>Warriors would have to feint (6 second physical RT)

You are taking some pretty hefty RT penalties if you are seeing a 6s feint. Are you wearing a helm with MBP and only trained for the MBP or something like that?
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/14/2012 07:47 PM CDT
Vs critters you are typically facing a CS between 400 and 450.

Ways to increase your TD:

Increase your wisdom for help vs spirit TD, (which is most of what you'll face).
Have spells cast on you.
Learn spells and cast them yourself.
Train in CMAN focus as you mentioned.
Get TD enhancive shield/armor.
All of the above.

Kerl
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/15/2012 08:21 AM CDT
I placed wisdom high but has growth but feinting gives decent RT and your target only gets a few seconds longer. Even if you hit with a strong feint, the critter will be prepping to cast before your first swing is done. Only thing I wish was a bit higher for the target because bellow doesn't work against the undead. Guess that's one bad thing for volners.

Just trying to figure out how to increase TD without massive training hinderence. I guess that would be a post cap goal. Wish there could be a way to increase TD for warriors that's friendly to skills.

CMANS=2 ranks= +1 AS (example)
CMANS=5 ranks= +1 TD ?? It's just a thought really, or possibly dodge?

~Player of Orsu~
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/15/2012 09:50 AM CDT
Korderine Armor and Krodera weapons for everyone!!!

Not really, but it would be fun.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/15/2012 09:59 AM CDT
<<Just trying to figure out how to increase TD without massive training hinderence. I guess that would be a post cap goal. Wish there could be a way to increase TD for warriors that's friendly to skills.

It may be costly and hard to acquire, but over time you could technically get enough wisdom enhancives to have another 20 TD.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/15/2012 12:43 PM CDT
On my warrior, I can usually do okay against spells anywhere. I'll still take hits at times, but I usually instantly feint casters when they appear.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/15/2012 03:45 PM CDT
My wisdom (all of my mental stats actually) sit at 91 at post-cap. I set them up that way when I was close to cap at Growing Pains or GS4, I forget which one. They were set up for maximum physical TPs, not maximum stat's. I'm now something like 10 million exp post-cap, and while TPs are worth a lot post-cap, I think the stats are now worth more to me, so one of these days I'll buy a fixstat and bump them up to nearly all being 100. That will be good for +5 wisdom bonus, which will be +5TD.

I like the idea of wisdom enhancives, but they are crazy expensive and rare, not to mention you likely have to make a tradeoff to raise TD that way.

Kerl
Re: Possibly raise TD 06/16/2012 05:50 PM CDT
>I placed wisdom high but has growth but feinting gives decent RT and your target only gets a few seconds longer.

If you are getting 150+ endrolls, which you should be on casters, the target is taking 8s RT to your 3. Feint, amb leg, feint, amb head, loot. If you have a 6s swing (which you should) the critter will normally only get a couple of seconds of progress on its action timer from the first feint before its being looted. Its not going to prep and cast in that time. If you want a longer window than 5s, use that 5s window to throw a manoever like disarm which can get longer RT.

You cant control swarms with feint, but 1 on 1 you RT lock pure critters into oblivion.
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/19/2012 01:50 PM CDT
>From what I can gather most warriors TDs are around 350-400 at cap. Most pure professions have a CS of 480-550 at cap. Even with a CvA -21 it's always a hit. Not even a chance of a miss.<

Welcome to Gemstone, lol!

Seriously, this has been a major topic for many years now...fact of the matter still stands as it always has, at later levels warriors get shafted BIG time. Especially when you're hunting places like the rift, where you lose all your spells and HAVE to hunt without anything you can't cast...or facing critters that like to strip you of all your spells like in the bowels. Warriors have been in need of a MAJOR overhaul for at least a decade now, it's not impossible to keep progressing as a warrior at higher levels, but I think it's defintely harder than most other professions at that rank. Especially when facing off against sorc-based critters, almost every time something casts 718 it's almost a guaranteed game ender. You really have to learn how to hunt and adjust your style accoring to your prey and their envoirnment, which kinda sucks IMO, as a warrior I'd much rather be able to run in and swing barbarically like I thought we were supposed to. But that'll get ya killed more often than not once you get to about 50 trains. TD has been and still is the warriors biggest weak point, I remember when they dropped CMANS for the first time and we were supposed to get all excited about taking Focus to rank 5 for a whopping +10 TD, lol! Talk about a waste of TP's....IMO it shoulda been +10 TD per level of focus to make it worth training for warriors....and even that proally wouldn't be enough, lol!
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/19/2012 02:15 PM CDT
Are warriors perfect? No. But that is what makes them warriors. There is no perfect profession in Gemstone IV. They each have strengths and weaknesses.

For every warrior that dies to a warding failure there is a wizard that dies to a maneuver based attack, and a ranger that dies because a stone mastiff sniffed them out of hiding at a bad time.

perfect = boring

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/19/2012 04:07 PM CDT
>Are warriors perfect? No. But that is what makes them warriors. There is no perfect profession in Gemstone IV. They each have strengths and weaknesses.

>For every warrior that dies to a warding failure there is a wizard that dies to a maneuver based attack, and a ranger that dies because a stone mastiff sniffed them out of hiding at a bad time.

>perfect = boring

>-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru

I really hate to admit to the amount of truth contained within this statemnet.... =op
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/19/2012 04:51 PM CDT
One thing to keep in mind, player CS and creature CS are different. Most creatures at cap have a CS of 400-430. Sentries, greater water elementals, soul siphons, and liches have a higher CS though, sentries are at about 450, GWE, siphons, and liches usually 470-500. Wearing spells I find CS/TD checks not to be a major issue for the most part. Currently I am hunting the rift and with 401, 406, 414, 101, 103, 107, 120, and symbol of protection my TD is 403 against sorcerer spells and 407 against spirit spells, CvA of -21 puts my affective TD at 424/428.
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/20/2012 12:41 PM CDT
Just a note that vs SMRs, that wizard is usually better off vs the maneuver than the warrior due to the huge armor penalty, and the fact that SMRs ignore df reduction and armor crit divisor too. CMANs are a different story, and all other things being equal, if both a wizard and a warrior do get hit by a maneuver and end up stunned/prone/offensive stanced, we warriors are of course far more likely to survive. But those instant death SMRs favor lightly armored PCs over heavily armored ones by a large amount with today's formula.

Kerl
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/20/2012 02:55 PM CDT
Tell that to my sorcerer who dies instantly to a portion of shield bash, headbutt and other cmans that rank 3 all the time like hamstring or feint and roar that make me bite knuckles for 20 to 30 seconds.

But give warriors a td boost when berserking...jus saiyan
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/20/2012 03:24 PM CDT
>>Just a note that vs SMRs, that wizard is usually better off vs the maneuver than the warrior due to the huge armor penalty, and the fact that SMRs ignore df reduction and armor crit divisor too.

While the armor penalty is rather large, after a certain point warriors are better at avoiding them then all pures except for empaths. And as you've pointed out, as long as we live through the first shot we've got better chances of surviving the rest then anyone else.
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/22/2012 02:18 AM CDT
Rolfard, every one of those you mentioned is not an SMR maneuver, but a CMAN which as I stated, is an entirely different story, where squares do indeed have an advantage. It's the SMR formula that largely ignores all of the advantages of heavy armor, and only looks at the penalty.

Trouble13, we'd have to stand up on plane 4 with the rift crawlers and do some testing, but I would wager that while it may seem that way, the opposite is true. The armor penalty is equivelent to more than 100 ranks of PF, and only 12 of the 35% full plate penalty can be trained away. I honestly don't really have a problem with there being a penalty for plate, it's that the benefits of heavy armor are completely ignored by the formula that is most irksome. The penalty should apply, but so too should DF reduction and the crit divisor of the same armor. Right now we get the penalty without the benefits.

Kerl
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/22/2012 12:55 PM CDT
>>Trouble13, we'd have to stand up on plane 4 with the rift crawlers and do some testing, but I would wager that while it may seem that way, the opposite is true.

I've know quite a few pures who die outright even with slash protection on their armor, I've never had that problem. With our current skills, I can safely say we dodge those burrows better then all pures, with the exception of some empaths.

>>The armor penalty is equivelent to more than 100 ranks of PF, and only 12 of the 35% full plate penalty can be trained away.

That penalty isn't a % its a flat number. It is only a % when applied to dodge.

>>I honestly don't really have a problem with there being a penalty for plate, it's that the benefits of heavy armor are completely ignored by the formula that is most irksome. The penalty should apply, but so too should DF reduction and the crit divisor of the same armor. Right now we get the penalty without the benefits.

I agree, our heavier armor should be offering us better protection against these things.
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/26/2012 02:14 PM CDT
The only way I could train in spells. Is to make it a post cap goal. Be like having a wizard train in 3 CMAN ranks on 1 level. Ridiculous

I guess I can wait another 2 years and get crit padded armor or win a single raffle before I die.
~Player of Orsu~
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/26/2012 06:06 PM CDT
Even when I had terrible stats I could hunt anywhere without spells. I've found in the capped hunting areas though that they do make things a lot easier.
Re: Possibly raise TD 09/28/2012 05:31 PM CDT
At cap, I decided to learn 101-107, mostly for the TD.
Re: Possibly raise TD 10/25/2012 05:24 PM CDT
I wish there were statistics posted about capped classes.

And a ratio of deaths per class per day to how many total active players of each class hunting there are.
Re: Possibly raise TD 10/25/2012 05:25 PM CDT
And I worded that terribly..
Re: Possibly raise TD 10/25/2012 07:20 PM CDT
I think more what you'd want to see(or maybe say, if this is what you meant) is deaths vs time hunting, and average time per hunt.