750 Vile Form 10/15/2016 03:04 PM CDT
Expounding on my (what now decade old?) Lich Form idea.... these EG dolls have me intrigued. I think this could work like those dolls.

A couple of assumptions.

1. 750 should be better than a treasure thing from a side quest.
2. 750 should be better than all other level 50 spells because we've been told time and again that having a more powerful 700 circle is our payback for having two minor circles.

750 Vile Form

Using the verb VILEFORM (which like other level 50 spells, works no matter your status), the caster will transform into either a DEMON or LICH. Which form can be chosen such as VILEFORM LICH or VILEFORM DEMON, requiring a minimum of 50 lore. If the form is not specific it will default to whichever lore is greater. Duration being based upon that lore as well. No matter which form you choose you are limited to X per day based on Y like other level 50 spells.

Considering the status of the caster when either of these are activated, upon activation a MANA SPELLUP is granted, as well to prevent instant death a boost to Mental TD based on MMC, Spiritual TD based on SMC, Elemental TD based on EMC, and universal DS based on sorcerer spell ranks is granted. Your encumberance is also set to 0 for the duration.

VILEFORM LICH

This is intended to be a more combat orientated form. Upon activation all wounds and injuries are phantom healed(your arms grow back, your bleeding stops, etc). When the spell drops the injuries return. However, while in LICH FORM, every attack you make functions a bit like 701 on steroids and has the chance to heal your wounds so that when the spell drops you're good as new. In other words, mess up a bunch of monsters as a lich, and when you turn back into a sexy dwarf you'll be good as new.

As a LICH you cannot cast spells. You can BITE, which is an attack based on your spell aiming, or CLAW which is an attack based on your CS. Your claws and bites are considered to be coming from 4x gear equivalent for interaction with systems that require a magical weapon to hit. All attacks have a chance to DISEASE the target based on Necromancy lore seeding. Possibly an additional scream attack creating a sheer fear like effect on any lower level critters harassing you.

Monsters can hit you with magic while in this form (which is why the buffs given above are important), however to hit you with a physical attack you function like an undead, which means blesses will be required.

VILEFORM DEMON

This is intended to be a more utility orientated form. Upon activation all wounds and injuries are phantom healed, when the spell drops the injuries return, there is no way to heal while in this form. There could be several sub demon forms each with special abilities like flight, or teleportation, sanctuary breaking, perfect GM level perception, etc. One DEMON form could have a STARE based evil eye attack, another a nightmare based attack. One demon could MIST and be unable to attack entirely but also unable to be attacked entirely.

As a DEMON you cannot cast spells. You can BITE, which is an attack based on your spell aiming, or CLAW which is an attack based on your CS. Your claws and bites are considered to be coming from 8x gear equivalent for interaction with systems that require a magical weapon to hit. All attacks have a chance to CURSE the target based on Demonology lore seeding.

Monsters can hit you with magic while in this form (which is why the buffs given above are important), however to hit you with a physical attack you function like an undead, which means 8x weapons will be required.

Overall this would be basically a very flavorful self rescue or reconnaissance spell. With LICH form you could theoretically return to the fight, with DEMON form you could do more scouting possibly but once it wore off you need to be somewhere safe.
Re: 750 Vile Form 10/15/2016 06:58 PM CDT
On the whole I like it. :)

Last sentence of last 'demon' section needs to be changed from copy/paste of 'undead' to say 'demon', thus requiring 8x weapons required.
Re: 750 Vile Form 10/16/2016 03:24 PM CDT
Neat ideas, but I cant see my self using this at cap other than durring an invasion.
Re: 750 Vile Form 10/17/2016 05:46 AM CDT
An interesting idea overall. In particular, it satisfies what I consider a basic requirement, in that it should have functionality for both necromancy and demonology, so nice job having that covered from the start.

>VILEFORM DEMON

>This is intended to be a more utility orientated form.

I don't perfectly follow this part, though. :D

Of course, some demons are certainly utility oriented, but most of the ones we've seen in game tend to have a strong combat prowess as well. The CLAW and BITE aspects are also quite similar between the two (though I like the DISEASE vs. CURSE difference).

For me, it's okay if both forms are good in combat, but certainly they need to be quite distinct from one another.

>Neat ideas, but I cant see my self using this at cap other than durring an invasion.

If it can be used under a number of status conditions, you can use it as a kind of "get out of jail free" card in many situations.

I think my most general objection is that I'm not a huge fan of the X/day limitations overall. When X gets larger it's okay (>3~4) but when X is very small, it seems to be of much more limited value (though, this quite depends on the spell).

As for lesser demons, I tend to prefer making one than becoming one. The inability to cast spells in Vile Form seems like a major weakness (though, the difficulty to be killed and injured is certainly a nice offset).
Re: 750 Vile Form 10/17/2016 06:44 AM CDT

>>This is intended to be a more utility orientated form.

>I don't perfectly follow this part, though. :D

With the LICH FORM healing ability you could cast it while close to death, run around clawing and biting monsters, fully heal up, have the spell drop, and keep fighting. This I think is a big deal because it means no interruption in your hunting activities

The DEMON FORM lacks the heal ability, so if you use it at the time this spell is meant to be used (while you're rt locked, stunned, etc, and close to death) you can use it to self rescue, but you will need to be back in a safe area by the time the spell drops. So I think it is important to give the DEMON FORM a utility edge to make up for its lack of that combat feature.

>I think my most general objection is that I'm not a huge fan of the X/day limitations overall.

But they seem to be par for the course with 50th level spells. Regeneration, Miracle, Timestop, etc. I don't think you get this sort of power if it isn't limited per day. How many times per day does one risk imminent death anyway?
Re: 750 Vile Form 10/17/2016 06:58 AM CDT
>>I think my most general objection is that I'm not a huge fan of the X/day limitations overall.

>But they seem to be par for the course with 50th level spells. Regeneration, Miracle, Timestop, etc. I don't think you get this sort of power if it isn't limited per day. How many times per day does one risk imminent death anyway?

I agree with you. It wasn't a specific objection, nor necessarily even one I expect would be taken into account anyway. Though you do make part of my point, which is that X/day is becoming a canned formulation for high-level spells. It may be that we can't escape it, but I'd like to not limit ourselves to that while brainstorming.