Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/10/2015 02:05 AM CDT
The Vvrael destroyer is medium in size and about one foot high in his current prone state.
You think a Vvrael destroyer is suitable for animation.

>prep 730
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Animate Dead...
Your spell is ready.
>cast des
You gesture at a Vvrael destroyer.
A Vvrael destroyer pulses a deep black as he absorbs the magic!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

It would be awesome if they were animate-able, like if their anti-magic quality was only active while alive. But if not, we shouldn't see them as suitable.
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/10/2015 03:09 AM CDT
This is not a bug.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/10/2015 01:18 PM CDT

Did you kill that destroyer yourself with a polearm?
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/12/2015 11:35 AM CDT
>This is not a bug.
>
>GameMaster Estild
Kindly elaborate, sir.

>Did you kill that destroyer yourself with a polearm?
Yeah. I have killed them in the past, but with the new rotflares I feel okay about killing them unhasted, and I feel confident enough to take on bounties. They still seem to get me back every third or fourth hunt hunt, though. It's usually when I start on them with like 25 seconds of 140 left - destroyer tackles and then a small army of other baddies shows up.
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 01:11 PM CDT
I just wanted to chime in here, since the question is being asked twice.

You think a Vvrael destroyer is suitable for animation.

That's the bug.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 03:40 PM CDT
Depends on how you look at it. The corpse is suitable, they the nature of the Vvrael as anti-mana makes them immune.
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 03:43 PM CDT
FIREPHOENIX
Depends on how you look at it. The corpse is suitable, they the nature of the Vvrael as anti-mana makes them immune.

This is exactly correct. When you ASSESS, it's just checking to see if your MAL will allow you to animate the corpse and if it hasn't already been animated before. It doesn't account for any magic immunity. Technically, we could certainly add that, but it would have to be done via a manual list, so as you can imagine, it's a low priority.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 03:47 PM CDT
Given the (pretty small?) number of creatures completely immune to magic, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult/time consuming. Vvrael <anything> and, uhhh....
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 04:26 PM CDT
Theres something around solhaven thats antimagic I forgot what they are.
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 04:31 PM CDT
Okay, so <five of these over here> plus that one.

Yeah, that's looking like a tough assignment for another HSN daily announcement.
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 04:39 PM CDT
KRAKII
Okay, so <five of these over here> plus that one.
Yeah, that's looking like a tough assignment for another HSN daily announcement.

I'm canceling HSN and rolling back the sorcerer changes so we can immediately focus on implementing this. :P

GameMaster Estild
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/14/2015 04:44 PM CDT
Gimme a second to set up a stand over here, selling (flammable) bearded dwarf miniatures so I can be burned in effigy...

(If I'm gonna take flack for it, I wanna at least turn a profit on it! :)
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/15/2015 01:28 AM CDT
<<Theres something around solhaven thats antimagic I forgot what they are.>>

Vesperti in Foggy Valley are mostly anti-magic. I would have to test them. There are some cases of whole spheres being useless. The Vvrael if anything should be healed by absorbing magic, or resurrect with a higher level. They feed on magical energy. And any given "Vvrael" is really just one head on a hydra. The sentient anti-mana itself is never really dead.

It is weird for things to be immune to the physical effects of spells. Immunity to Dark Catalyst, for example, but not Maelstrom would make sense.

- Xorus' player
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/15/2015 02:52 AM CDT
<<<The Vvrael if anything should be healed by absorbing magic, or resurrect with a higher level. They feed on magical energy. And any given "Vvrael" is really just one head on a hydra. The sentient anti-mana itself is never really dead.>>>

Correct. To elaborate on this topic, the witches, warlocks and so forth found within the rift are mere pawns of the Vvrael, infused with dark anti-mana. They are not the Vvrael, themselves. The Vvrael are a collective of sentient anti-mana that lives beyond the rift. The rift is essentially the "neutral zone" that separates their plane from ours, and is all that prevents them from devouring all life in Elanthia. There would be nothing to stop them, not even the Arkati, should they ever manage to pierce the veil. They are the reason the rift exists. The true face of the Vvrael is maddening to behold, and its voice a discordant chorus of thousands. The Vvrael knows only destruction, and once loose upon a world, is utterly unstoppable. They devour...everything.

Just a fun bit of extra-planar trivia. ;)

~ Heathyr
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/15/2015 03:23 AM CDT
FIREPHOENIX

GameMaster Estild
This is exactly correct. When you ASSESS, it's just checking to see if your MAL will allow you to animate the corpse and if it hasn't already been animated before. It doesn't account for any magic immunity. Technically, we could certainly add that, but it would have to be done via a manual list, so as you can imagine, it's a low priority.

I also would argue it's "exactly correct" but for the emphasis on the part that it "depends how you look at it." I did consider this type of interpretation with the ASSESS verb. Bu my rationale was Goat as a highly skilled sorcerer would probably have studied enough to know the tomes of what creatures are anti-magic and thus not suitable for animation (as long as he didn't forget it yet).

Agreed it's a low priority to manually do it. It would be great to get a compiled list on gswiki at least, since so long as our character's haven't been implied to study the books, at least the players can. ^_^

Very interesting discussion concerning extra-planar lore, etc.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Bug: 730 and Vvrael destroyers 08/15/2015 03:39 AM CDT
I offered up a potential solution for pures doing battle with Vvrael critters a while back. It would take the form of an "anti-mana potion", possibly created via alchemy. Imbibing the potion would temporarily transform your mana into anti-mana, thereby allowing your magic to work on extra-planar beings, like the Vvrael. The catch is, while under the effects of the potion, your magic would be utterly ineffective against "normal" creatures...an unfortunate side-effect of an imperfect alchemical experiment.

~ GtG