Prev_page Previous 1
Post Release Review 07/24/2015 11:04 AM CDT
Alright, all,

Today was the last release we had scheduled for the Sorcerer Spell Circle Review. We feel these updates bring a lot of their spells up to standards and promotes additional training in their lores. I would be interested in hearing any post release reviews and any other ideas you may have.

For example, I really wanted to implement an elemental lore tie in for Implosion (720), but struggled to come up with anything useful. As a note, any such idea for that would need to work for every elemental lore, not just Air (if you notice, our goal with elemental lores in the 700s is that a sorcerer can pick to train in any one element and still have the spell work mechanically similar, yet with a different flavor).

We're already planning updates for SACRIFICE INFEST.

Lastly, sorcerers will be getting a free FIXSKILL, but not until after the Hot Summer Nights campaign is over. There are other updates planned which may affect your training.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 11:26 AM CDT

I fully enjoyed seeing the releases and know you're never going to please everyone, including me, in every change that happens.

Issues and ideas, some are repost:
*Open cast 703 cannot be used with 1720. Please please please fix this.
*Demonology: I was hoping that more spells would work like balefire with special benefits for having a demon present. Maybe flares or faster cycles could be added for torment. Maybe a demon could do something for a maelstrom or dark catalyst. Maybe a special curse could only be cast with a demon present. Maybe the minor demons themselves could be tweaked for better mana and silver capacities.
*Going through the process of making crimson salt crystals should be worth more than the added 16 minutes. I'd rather have a longer initial duration than any explosion ability.
*https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Necromantic_regeneration_potion These recipes are useless now, can they be given new effects?
*I love the Pestilence messaging and backlash ability.
*I love Grasp of the Grave.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 11:47 AM CDT
Estild, do the voids have to keep their current intent of opening into nothingness with an elemental lore tie in? Could they sometimes be rifts to say... a plane of extreme heat/cold/force which would turn the target into a charred/frozen/badly mangled corpse instead of vaporizing it, allowing a searchable body based on some seed of lore chance?

Tal.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 11:54 AM CDT
Tal.
Estild, do the voids have to keep their current intent of opening into nothingness with an elemental lore tie in? Could they sometimes be rifts to say... a plane of extreme heat/cold/force which would turn the target into a charred/frozen/badly mangled corpse instead of vaporizing it, allowing a searchable body based on some seed of lore chance?

It's possible, but would someone train lores for that?

GameMaster Estild
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 12:00 PM CDT
Is the idea for the lores to be worth training in for a single specific spell or to merely be a small part of a more compelling larger package for them?

Tal.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 12:06 PM CDT
I would be interested in an 720 that had the possibility of extra flare damage in addition to the initial strike. Even more so if you could tack on a chance to draw an inhabitant of that plane out to lash at a target or two before being pulled back in (based on demon lore). Sure would be nice to have a way to show off our demon skills in combat like those fancy necromancers and their animated arms.

You gesture at an orc warlord.
A void rips open in the area, directly above an orc warlord!
Vitreous fluid boils in a warlord's eyes, causing them to burst!
+83 Hits.

Everything in the room seemed to stay in place for an instant and then a shifting being of nothingness bursts onto the scene.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

A shifting being of nothingness reaches out for an orc warlord.
Blood begins to gush from a warlord's nose and ears!
+20 Hits.
A shifting being of nothingness reaches out for an orc mage.
Shock wave of air slams an orc mage into the ground
+10 hits

The shifting being of nothingness is pulled back into the void. The void disappears without further incident.

(all takes place in like 1 second). Change the crit types and descriptions for a non-air attuned sorc.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 12:20 PM CDT
If you close a void or when it closes itself base on your attunment and lore ranks a wave of that energy is blasted through the area.

Prep 720, cast, void stuff happens, prep dispell, cast void (or wait for it to natural close). The void rapidly closes striking the area with torrent of elemental engery.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 12:29 PM CDT
Or maybe cast void, infuse void and and elemental flare is released from the sorcerer striking a target or targets in the void before being sucked into the void.

It would be neat to have it so certain demons might effect the strength of the elemental magic too. Just to give the demonologist some love too.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 12:44 PM CDT
I was there when we moved from GS3 to GS4 during the Nilven era of development. It was a great time to play a sorcerer- the profession went from dull to fascinating in the course of a few months.

The last two weeks really reminded me of that time. No one expected anything this thorough and imaginative for the profession. I suspect most of us didn't really think we'd ever have something like that again. I can't thank you all enough for the countless hours spent in development and the incredibly thoughtful approach to these updates. Sorcery is once again the envy of Elanthia. In particular, you addressed some very long-standing issues with key sorcery spells (725 and 730 specifically) that made what were supposed to be capstone sorcery abilities into fringe spells one rarely saw in action. You just solved ten years of problems. I hope you all have a little swagger in your typing right now.

In terms of feedback and thoughts for future developments:

1) It'd be really great to hear what you have planned for Sac Infest. It's arguably the penultimate Necromancy ability slot- given it requires 100 ranks of lore. It's something I think we all really wanted to work.

2) You mentioned that demonology wasn't as highlighted here- which is true. Though obviously demonology was already a very powerful lore. But perhaps it's time to revisit 712 and allow demonology to reduce the chance of backlash when you use spells like 130/740. Offensively cast phase also has some room for improvement. Unfortunately for the most part casting 704 at a high level noncorporeal creature is opening yourself up to some danger while you wait for an actual damaging cast. But if it had a multi-cast like 703 now has, it might see more use. Unlock that with demonology as well perhaps.

3) Major Summoning. It's time. I know it borders on disrespectful to meet months of intense development work with "Give us more!", but it's been two decades. The infrastructure already exists for this spell. You have the major demons coded. You have the 725 mechanics in place. Use demonology and level/spell ranks to make this an add-on to 725 so you aren't coding from scratch. Make the creation of the runestones for summoning something that takes time to do in order to limit frequency. There isn't another unimplemented spell that holds as much interest as this one.

4) 705 Necromancy benefit- I think maybe we erred a little too much on the side of caution here. The proc is so infrequent that it has absolutely no factor in my decision to use 705. And it procs more often for me than for most.

5) 709 grapple damage. There really is no benefit to this- I mostly see 1-4 damage. If you're REALLY lucky, you might get a one round stun- which is no different from the drag down and RT they had anyway. How about necromancy lore increasing the rate of pairs of hands being generated instead?

6) 716 flare damage- feels like it was a little too restricted. 70 was too high for a flare, but maybe cap it at 50? I might be wrong, but it feels like it's capping at 40 now. And that's not doing enough to help- particularly when we're talking about creatures that don't stun. Or maybe add a small disabling effect- no much, a few seconds of RT or something. This is an amazing spell for sure, but it just needs a tiny bit of uptick. The offensive version is amazing though.

7) Maybe allow certain thresholds of elemental lore allow you to cast a version that's all one element? So with 50 ranks of fire, you can cast a fire only version. 50 ranks of air, a lightning only, etc.

8) 730: Duration probably could use a small uptweak. It's a little frustrating having to run out in the middle of resting after a bounty and sac something really quickly. Having said that, this is a minor concern at best. You've set the spell up so we don't need to keep the same animate around anymore. We can make a new one at the beginning of every hunt.

9) Make the major demon failure of 740 a part of 725 too ;)
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 01:07 PM CDT
The changes you've made to sorcerer spells have been fantastic overall. Giving Mana Disruption that extra spell suppression is great for group hunting and makes an already efficient spell even better. Open-cast 703 is also fabulous. Love Grasp of the Dead to pieces, especially as we can now STOP the spell so we don't inadvertently shake hands with passers-by. Pestilence is outstanding visually and mechanically. The changes to Animate Dead are great overall too. I really like how the changes support different play-styles; some people will find a beefy animate and keep it around for some time, while others will grab what's available and blow them up. Both make sense, and that's wonderful.

Of course, if I were just composing paeans of praise, that would be boring! I did find one thing lacking in the overhaul: Demonologists didn't get the oomph I was hoping they would with this review. My character's got necromancy lore and is sitting pretty regardless, but demonology's so integral to sorcery that it seems it should confer some bigger mechanical benefits too.

Not everything has to be perfectly balanced, but if we're moving in the direction of giving people more flexibility with their lores and builds, making demonology a more attractive option would help. Right now, there just aren't anywhere near as many reasons to choose demonology aside from RP. Roleplaying is important, and people who prioritize it by investing in demonology when that makes sense for their characters should be supported in that choice with something more than utilitarian benefits like those to Phase and Cloak of Shadows. Right now, the scales are very much tilted in favor of necromancers.

Given that the whole profession just got wonderful new toys, I'm not sure if any further adjustments to the review are in the works. If they are, and you're looking to create more diversity in play-styles and builds with lore, please put another coat of polish on demonology. There's not a lot of parity as things stand.

I feel like an ingrate even talking about this. I don't want to be one of those bratty kids who gets a double handful of candy at Halloween and still whines for the remaining fun-size Snickers bar she sees in the candy bowl. This has been a phenomenal event -- so nice it's made other players joke about "Hot Sorcerer Nights" -- and we all got a huge upgrade in utility, power, and style. Thank you so much for all the work you've done. I feel like a whole new sorceress. :)

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 01:32 PM CDT
<< Giving Mana Disruption that extra spell suppression is great for group hunting and makes an already efficient spell even better. >>

Of all the wonderful changes, this is probably the one that will get the most use. I think the change to 706 will get the least use, because most people kill the critter that is not stunned first and then worry about the stunned critter.

<< Right now, the scales are very much tilted in favor of necromancers. >>

I'm not so sure that's true. Ultimately, people will vote with their training points. It would be really interesting to see how demonology/necromancy training shakes out for the Sorcerer population as a whole measured a few months from now.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 01:35 PM CDT
I'd love to see a breakdown of people's lore choices now and what they'll be in a few months after the FIXSKILL opportunity we'll be getting (and incidentally, YAY for that too!).
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 01:47 PM CDT
"Sacrifice: Shorter cool down. Reduced costs for both success and failure. Ability to heal and renew animates. Infest feature to weaken other critters.
Skill: Necromancy"

Awesome awesome awesome!

"702: Temporary dispel feature.
Skill: Mana control."

I could take it or leave it really its a nice little added thing, some of my issues with these tweaks are that i'll never see then in the lower levels where im sure they shine a bit more. With max CS and enhansives I really dont care about dropping spells off of them.

703: Area version affects critters and nongrouped players.
Skill: Mana control.

Amazing

705: Bolt version. Armor, weapon and shield degradation.
Skill: Necromancy

I hate bolting that said. I think this is a good overall add to people who do like to bolt, the effect needs to be tweaked seed 6 is way to high for this to even matter, at 195 necro ranks you have a 15% chance for this to trigger.... I went out and rapid fire cast this when it happen just to try and see it I blew through about 150 mana before it happened.

706: Stun may jump to another critter when the stunned critter dies.
Skill: Demonology

Really neat, it just sucks that so many things are immune to stun at high levels.

707: Longer duration. Refreshable. Eye returns to you from anywhere.
Skill: No new skill requirements.

Great quality of life improvement here

709: New "Grasp of the Grave" spell replaces Quake.
Skill: Necromancy (just for secondary "grapple" crits)

This spell is slowly growing on me, I can say I've cast it out hunting more times in the past week than I think ive used quake in the past 5 years. The grapple flare is lackluster at best, its a nice little something but if it wasnt there I wouldnt miss it.

710: Shorter time to start. Damage increased by elemental lore. Attunement affects the kind of maelstrom.
Skill: Elemental lores

I really like the idea of making the start time shorter , I dont have enough ranks of elemental lore to really see any major diffrence but its made me think about getting more. (if you added elemental lores to 720 you can bet I'd be getting them.)

711: Displays the amount of damage.
Skill: No new skill requirements

Interesting to see good quality of life improvement

714: Experience points for infusing.
Skill: No new skill requirements

Free exp? SURE!

716: New Pestilence spell replaces Disease.
Skill: Necromancy

100% more useful than the old spell. Love it.

725: Duration increase. Easier to summon. New Summon verb to attempt to summon without a runestone. Illusions are permanent.
Skill: Demonology

Great changes , fixed a lot of the problems that this spell had.

730: Improvements to MAL, duration, and component use (including ability to animate without components and to use a gem to increase animate level), plus new ability to explode animates.
Skills: Necromancy and elemental lore

FLESH PINATAS! the exploding animates are great, adds a really neat flare to the spell. duration duration duration my long standing problem with this spell has always been how long it last, and now it last for an even less amount of time. when I first read sacrifice channel I was so excited, and then when I found out it only refreshed the duration to 20 min i was let down , then when the updates for 725 came and the max time im seeing is 26 min i was even more let down. I really wish the formula for duration had stayed the same and sacrifice channel refreshed that timer. The upkeep of keeping an animate around is just a hassle I have to run off in the middle of resting to go find something to sacrifice half way through resting, so in the event that I want to normal sacrifice or sacrifice infest during my hunt the timer is down.
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 04:08 PM CDT
I argued that the balance was far in the favor of necromancy lore before it was added to: rot flares, three SACRIFICE abilities, and three or four spells. The necromancy benefits to Pain (711), Ensorcell (735), and Ensorcell flares are some of the best we have, in my opinion.

Whirlin backs this point of view up in his pre-HSN guide focused on a purely mechanical approach to sorcerer training where he recommends training Demonology to 52 and "the rest of forever in necromancy" because "After 52 ranks of Demonology, the benefits just aren't substantial."

If anything, I therefore suspect the HSN updates will tilt the balance further in the direction of necromancy or cement the status quo. My own character prioritizes demonology for RP reasons and pays what ESTILD called "a huge opportunity cost" the farther I push him in that direction. I've questioned this decision but that's more of a RP discussion and not necessarily pertinent to this topic and this post.

Overall: I really like several of the new abilities, I am glad you don't need necromancy lore to take advantage of several of them, and it was exciting to see sorcerers get so much thoughtful development in such a short span.

Silvean's Player
Re: Post Release Review 07/24/2015 05:45 PM CDT
<<For example, I really wanted to implement an elemental lore tie in for Implosion (720), but struggled to come up with anything useful. As a note, any such idea for that would need to work for every elemental lore, not just Air (if you notice, our goal with elemental lores in the 700s is that a sorcerer can pick to train in any one element and still have the spell work mechanically similar, yet with a different flavor).>> - ESTILD

The way to go with this that would be "natural" is having the void run the chance (risk?) of randomly connecting to the Elemental Confluence. When the Confluence arrived it ripped open rifts throughout the continent, so now we have these roaming ruptures of "valencial stresses" as Alusius worded it. I've always been a partisan for the very old idea that uncontrolled tears in reality should risk randomly opening to other planes of existence, which dovetails with the Illistim complaint about imploding Maelshyve and the new Faendryl lore that establishes the unhealed tear from it is always letting random demons burst loose into our world.

So, I think it makes sense that 720 would interact in some way with the widespread damage the Confluence caused, similar to how the Guild void portal dumped me into the Melgorehn's Reach water tunnels that one time (if that was Althedeus related, I'm not sure if it has always been there as a risk.)

With elemental lores and confluence connected voids, it could work something like what happens when you try to Phase through the dome in the Broken Lands. There is a sudden release of energy shooting out of it by path of least resistance. It would replace the vacuum process when this happens, lashing out with arcs of pure elemental energy. Elemental lores could let you control how many or how hard this unstable backlash hits, with the premise that you are better at deflecting that kind of energy when it is seeking out a sink. It would look something like the beam of fire ripping through the Nazis (and gruesomely melting the close ones) from the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Elemental lore might also let you get away with safely walking through it like a portal. Though Demonology lore should help with Balefire kind of energy.

- Xorus' player
Re: Post Release Review 07/25/2015 03:27 AM CDT
Overall, I agree with Silvean and Lylia that the case for necromancy was already stronger before these releases, which is fine for my sorcerer but ultimately demonology should get some boosting down the road. These improvements are a mixture of awesomeness and incredibleness thrown into a pit of win. It will very much change how often I use a lot of these spells. I would still like it if necromancy lore unlocked the ability to over-ride the immunities of the undead to our spells (like some of the Voln symbols.) The highest lore requirement would presumably be for unlocking Evil Eye.

I do not have much to say about tweaks to the potency of the spells at this time. The grapple damages on 709 do seem pretty weak.

So, the list...

Sacrifice

I was not using Sacrifice at all, and now I am using it every hunt. This was a really good update, especially since my sorcerer has no society. Sacrifice Infest is something I will not have to worry about for a while, but I now expect to make use of Sacrifice Channel with the 730 changes. Something I would like to see, since Sacrifice is essentially the same thing as the Absolution Pure concept, would be some form of sacrifice that actually destroys the soul of the target.

Spell 702: Mana Disrupt

I love the concept of disrupting the aura of the targets causing temporary dispels. It shifts the significance to the word "mana" as being what is disrupted, and really tangibly helps make warding easier at lower levels. This is the one I have been getting the most practical use out of so far. I will be curious to see how useful it is with more dangerous creatures. I did not realize it does so much damage.

Spell 703: Corrupt Essence

This would have been really, really nice when I had my sorcerer in hooded figures. I'm sure I will use it a lot at higher levels. I will never Forget, but...

Spell 705: Disintegrate

It is hard to say without going back and doing it, but I might have used this at lower levels. Disintegrate is something I have never used much because 702 is cheaper and only risks 2 mana per cast. I had temporarily dropped 2x Spell Aim for more CS/spells, this is definitely incentive for bringing it back soon. 713 is out of the question at lower levels. One minor tweak I would make is taking out the "dull grey beam" from the CS version, and leaving it with the spell aimed AS version. I think the CS version should more resemble what the Phoenix does from X-Men 3 like Virilneus said.

Spell 706: Mind Jolt

Ironically, I find this new premise to be more "mentalist" than the old explanation, though I feel the mind falls under our "destruction of animate matter" clause anyway. I enjoy the idea of witnessing existences that overwhelm the mind with horror. I'm not sure how often I will end up using it. One thing I would add to this spell is that when the player character is under its effect, we should get an illustration of the horror when typing LOOK instead of the ordinary room description (or at least some % of the time, so the target is not totally blinded.) That could even be turned into a custom nightmare kind of thing. Since the mind is being opened up to some hellish demonic plane, maybe demonology lore would increase the chances for an oculoth-like demonic possession.

Spell 707: Eye Spy

This removed the annoying features of the spell, so I expect I will end up using it a lot more. But if it were able to roam around looking for targets...

Spell 709: Grasp

I will miss Quake for nostalgia reasons, though I was not using it much. The visual on this is really cool, though I'm not sure where the arms are coming from, since they can't actually be in the ground. I would just tweak the wording so that we see the torsos/bodies on the initial lunge, at least, and when they sink back down into the ground all you see is the arms.

Spell 710: Energy Maelstrom

Inserting the other elements and allowing us to bias the storm has definitely helped me kill cold monsters with the spell. Though I would like it if we could amplify the open cast based on mana control, with the more exotic "mana storm" effects so this spell is more closely tied to its root concept. One of those effects would be minor quakes, so that would take the sting out of 709.

Spell 711: Pain

Seeing the damage saves the work of trying to figure out how much health these things have for the cost. If there were some way to do Mass Pain with corresponding mana cost, and maybe some messaging during their RT showing how bad it hurts, that would be pretty much the best thing since curried ogre brains.

Spell 714: Scroll Infusion

Nice. I'm not really using the spell much yet, but I will be glad to get some experience out of it.

Spell 716: Pestilence

Amazing. Disease was something I almost never used because it was way too slow, and now I am using it every hunt. It infects things disease would not have infected, and the explanation for why it works on the undead I think can be used for some of our other spells. It kind of implied that ability to sway over the undead was inherent to sorcery's hybrid nature.

Spell 720: Implosion

Again. If we wish to have elemental lores play into implosion, we can do it by having the effect inverted depending on where the unstable portal connects (i.e. our end of it becomes a "white hole" instead of a "black hole".) The "implosion" is happening on another plane of existence in that case, one of the Confluence planes for elemental lore (or Balefire and demonology), and what is being sucked out is streaming into our world. Instead of our atmosphere rushing into a vacuum of interplanar void, our plane is the vacuum compared to the elemental planes for those kinds of energies.

In theory the sorcerers would eventually suffocate the whole planet if they keep using these void implosions. But it would be nice to cause permanent harm to the world in other ways, allowing exotic energies from these hostile planes to pollute and corrupt our own reality. Focused implosion in the inverted case would hit with an intense elemental/balefire blast.

More or less the same thing that happens here, except with more violent imagery: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE)

>prep 416
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Piercing Gaze spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast dome
You gesture at a large crystal dome.
The surface of the crystal dome shimmers in your vision, its reflective planes become insubstantial, and you can now see inside. Peering closer you see flashes of swirling elemental energy. Surely this dome must hold an immense amount of mana.

>prep 704
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Phase...
Your spell is ready.
>cast dome
You gesture at a large crystal dome.
Suddenly you notice the crystal dome's form dim slightly as it becomes insubstantial.
The interior of the dome begins to flash and spark as whatever was contained inside now has an easier way out. As you begin to pass into the dome, a wave of pure energy gushes forth, burning you with its intense heat!
... 55 points of damage!
Left arm incinerated. Unfortunate.
You are stunned for 10 rounds!
The surface of the dome returns to normal as if nothing happened.

Spell 725: Minor Summoning

I'm glad that these components are optional. I prefer the idea of a reckless sorcerer being able to "just do it" because "to hell with it." I would like it if demonology lore would unlock the ability to summon some of the nastier demons that are already coded. It would still be kind of limited since we do not have that many demons. I was playing back when we were promised that 725 would never be a sorcerer's familiar spell, so it has always kind of bothered me we cannot summon combat demons with it when 750 does not exist. Maybe even some way of taking control of a wild demon.

Spell 730: Animate Dead

I was not using this spell at all before, but will probably use it every hunt once I get used to it. I imagine I will also be using it for dead adventurer rescues. I still wish we had a way to make actual, Voln-hates-you undead instead of flesh puppets. Maybe 750 can become a Soulcraft spell where you mutilate essence/spirits into demonic and undead entities depending on your demonology and necromancy lore (again, like that dome in the Broken Lands. Or the theory lore for the verlok demons.) The corpse explosion is interesting. It reminds me of the hazards of making lightning spiders...

I've mentioned this before, but I think stuffing a cursed soul into a corpse with a soulstone (sacrifice channel?) instead of a gem would make a poor man's "undead animate" and not de novo undead, and the mechanical difference might just be duration but with the thing trying to break free of your control. You let it run free into the countryside at the end instead of dropping like a meat sack.

Spell 740: Planar Shift

Neat. I'm not sure about making that risk happen with 725 (safety was its propaganda value) unless maybe you're using it in a reckless way, but I do think 720 could stand to have the monster-from-outer-space risk as well. The more powerful the tear, the more powerful the thing that can come out, whether demon or elemental or whatever else. Also 710, if we could amplify it, as I suggested earlier.

- Xorus' player
Re: Post Release Review 07/25/2015 01:54 PM CDT
I love HSN, however since you asked for specific feedback, I will provide it. I agree with other posters that because of every awesome thing that ya'll have done for us I feel bad posting gripes. So first, thank you for the spell review! Its great! I am very happy at where we are.
These perspectives are from capped.

From a mechanical point of view we have two lores to train as sorcerers. While leveling demon lore is a bit better. This is mainly due to things like 704, 712, and 725 (725 for the mana). However as a sorcerer levels those become less important. As a result MOST sorcerers transition to necro lore in later levels. There were three major reasons for this. The first was 711. That spell alone is worth training in necro lore. The second reason is for 735. Necro lore can vastly decrease the time required to max out the juice. The third is that benefits to 712 are made up with other skill training and benefits of 704 with more strength and diminishing returns.
As a result, most sorcerers who don’t train in necro lore do not do it because demon lore is mechanically beneficial, but because of RP.

Right now you train in demon lore for utility in 704 and 740, and that’s about it. The big thing with 725 was that I could fill it with mana to use while hunting, but with the changes to sacrifice, necro lore does that much better (and lets you get back more mana than 725 can carry). I know there is 713, but folks don’t really use that to hunt, unless they are messing around, and with the way our spell list is, that’s perfectly fine.
Just looking at it, that’s a big difference in what each of the lores do.

I greatly dislike the 700 list having elemental lore tie ins. The reason is that we have sorcerer specific lores so the 700 circle should have anything except that. But the other side is this, if we have elemental lore tie in, why dont we have spirit lore tie ins? We are hybrids of spiritual and elemental, but only the elemental side is shown in our circle....

Sacrifice
I didn’t use sacrifice often, as I never really needed to. Even while leveling. PART of this was because with a 20 minute timer it wasn’t something I could use all the time. I love the changes. I do think that infest needs to be looked at for practicality.

Spell 702: Mana Disrupt
Its amazing, nothing to say here. There is a reason this spell is used to much. I am actually surprised you decided to improve it.

Spell 703: Corrupt Essence
Almost humped my computer when this came out.

Spell 705: Disintegrate
We always asked for a low level bolt. We said, wouldn’t it be nice if it was with 705. We said, make it like web bolt.
You did all of that……So amazing!
My largest issue with 705 is completely separate from the update. My issue is that I don’t use 705 because I see exactly zero benefit for using it over 702. I think THAT is what needs to get looked at. So 702 is the most cast spell in the game.
The question should be, why don’t higher level sorcerers with enough mana to use 705 as their main hunting spell switch to 705?

Spell 706: Mind Jolt
Woot, amazing!

Spell 707: Eye Spy
I can return my eye now, I can refreash it…that’s great.
Can we make it so that it doesn’t take my eye out?

spell 708: Limb Disruption
I would like necro lore to either lower the threshold to break a limb or allow the chance to blow off another limb.

Spell 709: Grasp
I never used quake. It was weaker than 410, so I used 410. I now use 709.

Spell 710: Energy Maelstrom
I like this spell. During those hard levels where enemy HP ramps, they start wearing heavier armor and your amount of mana doesn’t really go up fast enough, I used 710 to kill things.
I was a bit disappointed to have it include elemental lores.
I would have liked to see a Demon and necromancy version of this spell.
The demon lore type of this spell would send a maelstrom of balefire and such.
The necro lore would be a necrotic energy storm.

Spell 711: Pain
Pain is amazing. It is a perfect spell. 711 ALONE is worth training 1x in necro lore. Period.

Spell 714: Scroll Infusion
I hate runestones, as such I don’t use this spell. Additionally I hunt the rift, so…its not worth it for me to use it. HOWEVER I do like the spell.

Spell 716: Pestilence
Changed a spell no one used, hell some sorcerers forgot they had, into a spell everyone now uses. Good job.

Spell 718: Torment

I would like to see demon lore do something with this. I think allow you to stay in guarded if you have enough lore training.

Spell 719: Dark Catalyst

I would like to see this changed to cycle between balefire and necrotic energy.

Spell 720: Implosion
As with 710 I would like to see demon or necro lores for this.
720 could be opening a rift into another valence and that’s what causes the damage for demon lore and for necro lore it creates a negative energy well, that hurts the living and damages undead by overloading them with necromantic energy (so its effective against everyone), but it would function exactly like it does now. Aside from flavor text, what would lores do? Kinda like 713 they would increase the max chance of stunning other targets especially when focus cast.

The changes are amazing. Could you look into making allowing/disallowing following into town, town specific? In icemule demons are fine, but I still have to allow demons to let them in. The issue is that if I go to the landing, ohh I have the follow into town set, and I get fined.

Spell 730: Animate Dead
As Malisai does not have any necro lore, I am unable to use this spell.
Thank you for letting me prep/cast for players.

Spell 740: Planar Shift
I cant wait for this to happen.

Spell 750: UNK

So if we ever get a spell 750. It MUST be useful for both demonologists and necromancers. It should not favor one or the other (even though the rest of our circle heavily favors necro lore).

Player of Malisai

Winterberry goes in both hands.

~ X., Free the Fifth

Yanso says, "Everyone offer thanks to the healthy looking lass and the most famous sorcerer or all time for finding these magical flowers."
Re: Post Release Review 07/25/2015 05:20 PM CDT
>So if we ever get a spell 750. It MUST be useful for both demonologists and necromancers. It should not favor one or the other (even though the rest of our circle heavily favors necro lore). (KOOLED)

Earlier in the week a few people told me they were beginning to think a demon-focused 750 was coming, perhaps Major Summoning, because the other updates were so necromancy focused. It would balance out the profession and provide a tough choice if 750 favored demonology. As things stand right now, I believe 750 should be useful for both demonologists and necromancers while favoring demon lore. It doesn't seem like anything is on the radar though.

Perhaps I should push the issue back a little farther and ask: In Gemstone design overall, is it desirable to provide tough choices and create differentiated training paths in individual professions? Are there professions where this is currently the case? It seems to be true of wizards from what I know but I only really pay attention to sorcerers.
Re: Post Release Review 07/25/2015 08:24 PM CDT
I think having tough choices in what lores to pick is good. it means your spell circle(s) have interesting things. however a capstone like 750 shouldnt be like that. People should go "you have to pick x lore to use your 50th level slot, because what the other lore does for it is worthless".

I also dont think major summoning should be its own spell. If they want to allow us to summon different tiers of demons, then it should be with lore. However I dont think we should, as players, be summoning lesser demons, much less major demons. Lesser demons are what was summoned to destroy Despana's army. The second the lesser demons were summoned, they annihilated the undead army and a good portion of their allies. Those big bad vathors and such, those are lesser demons.

Mechanically, im not sure we need another combat pet.

Player of Malisai

~ X., Free the Fifth

Yanso says, "Everyone offer thanks to the healthy looking lass and the most famous sorcerer or all time for finding these magical flowers."
Re: Post Release Review 07/27/2015 01:13 AM CDT
I'm very impressed with this set of releases. There are now more choices to be made in training that differentiate one sorcerer from another. It was good to increase power in ways other than simply upping damage output. I really welcome the sacrifice/730 changes in particular, and 710 was a welcome surprise for my elemental lore training. Thank you to everyone involved.

===Curse of the Star===
I personally would've traded it all to have curse of the star apply to physical AS in some way. I know swinging pures aren't really a focus, but all other pures all have persistent physical AS boosters. If there are issues balancing it, maybe make it short-lived with lore-based duration, or a 0 default boost that only scales up with lores. It could be:

* Included in Curse of the Star
* Curse of the Moon. Uses religion lore - Arkati are associated with moons, right?
* Curse of the Flame. Uses fire lore.
* Cursed Fortune. Uses blessing lore.

===Teamwork?===
The way I read The Undead War lore, it supports the idea of sorcerers pooling their powers into one huge effect, like an implosion to suck up an entire fortress or summoing lesser demons. I'd enjoy it if, e.g., one sorcerer creates an open void and other sorcerers cast 720 at it to strengthen it. Even if it weren't very practical in day-to-day hunting, it could be fun for roleplay, desperate situations, etc.
Re: Post Release Review 07/27/2015 06:22 AM CDT
I haven't had a lot of time to play in the last 10 weeks. I had a bit of time the last month, but more towards the beginning of the month when the lower-level changes to the Sorcerer Base were rolling out.

Furthermore, there are already a lot of posts here, many (all?) of them by players who have had more chance to actually experiment with this huge array of changes to the profession.

Lastly, these releases do not call for a review in any general way, because they were very well done.

A lot of spells I hadn't really make much use of in some time (705, 707, 716, 725, 730) and abilities (sacrifice) have a lot more glamour and appeal now. Since I've only had a chance to read a lot of these updates (only testing a few so far), in many ways I have the impression I need to re-envision, and learn the class again. That's very encouraging for my main sorcerer that I've been hardly making an effort to cap since I didn't want to become bored with playing him, and the changes this year (including the Elemental Confluence with HSN updates) now make me confident in my decision, and (when I have the actual time to play again soon) will make sure playing my sorcerer will continue to be very exciting and with no chance for the experience to get dull or repetitive in the foreseeable future.

I would like to highlight, under the guise of, "If I could make one minor change concerning HSN for sorcerers along the lines of what was done, what would it be?"

The minor change I'd like to see concerning what has been released during HSN is that 730 can work on a player that was animated and logged out (or some other way around that problem which is simple); in fact, it would be nice to not even have to recast the spell and waste the mana several times in such circumstances, or that there was a way to remove an existing LK when joined to the player, etc (so they can control whether this would be allowed). Removing the component requirement, as well as I assume letting us determine if they have an LK via ASSESS, were very excellent steps to making 730 the absolute defacto rescue method for sorcery. I also feel comfortable making this request in light of players without sorcerers being somewhat under-enthusiastic of HSN from lack of attention to their preferred class; I want this tweak specifically to help other players!

I know others made a similar request, but I just wanted to emphasize it as one point for my own appeal.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Post Release Review 07/27/2015 09:12 PM CDT
Last night I got some black ora stuck on my hand, and I thought how it is a little odd that the cursing profession cannot handle unholy things, other than what we curse ourselves. It would make sense for the spell to do things specific to the undead as well as open the Graveyard gate. It seems like getting hit with a cursed weapon (or staff) should also somehow be worse than being hit with an ordinary weapon. Especially since it interferes with other item enhancing spells that are useful.

Say it defaults to a poison that makes the blood or other body aspects corrosive, but it can flare some nasty effects instead (using the curse caster's CS for connecting) varying with other spells from the 700 list that we tie to the curse. Others take the same risk of being hit by it when initially handling the weapon.

Curse has always felt like something with a lot of depth potential that is not being fully realized as a Level 15 spell. In principle a whole curse spell list could exist without being repetitive. I'm never using its old cantrips, and if anything, a direct cast should do something much nastier. Maybe curse power could unlock immunity to the hand stuck effect? The ability to absorb the curse into yourself, so you do not need outside help to uncurse things? Perhaps it could make the undead attack each other.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: Post Release Review 07/27/2015 09:26 PM CDT
Perhaps 720 and E-lore training could have a chance to release (Element) elementals which could emerge and attack nearby enemies. Nothing along the lines of animates in terms of duration. Just a few rounds of the critters attacking things in the room.
Re: Post Release Review 07/27/2015 11:24 PM CDT
Had a dream last night that Kaldonis summoned a lithe black abyran'ra in the streets of Illistim (don't know what my character was doing there...I think my sub-conscious just wants to summon demons in the Elven Nations) from a failed Planar Shift. Obviously my character was dead, and the being was tromping around town causing general mayhem. A pair of characters came to get me, and I asked to be drug outside town for the raise. Tended me up, but the resurrection failed very badly; my brain decided that because the cleric forgot to Well-of-Life first, then the cleric should die in a backlash, but I suppose you can infer the point. No one else would rescue my character since by this time it was known to be my fault. To pass the remaining time I just watched my deathbot scroll from the demon's rampage (which the game feed would oridinarily be fine for, but mine has a very small area, and I didn't tweak it to automatically handle all the new messages).

After decaying, I had to use my FWI transporter as fast as possible to avoid arrest (and my usual difficulty getting my cloak out of the jailbox). Then I did a cross-realm shift from FWI to somewhere like River's Rest and let someone else clean up the mess.

PS: Is there any reason that failing a Planar Shift should have to happen before the cast and not after? Like, why can't a savage demon pop out at the other end along with us? Granted, I'd probably be the one cursing the feature the most since it means there's a risk not only shifting out of town (which I already avoid) but also into town. It could be an entirely separate failure (demon just pops out, but sorcerer is not harmed).

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Post Release Review 07/28/2015 01:26 PM CDT
>PS: Is there any reason that failing a Planar Shift should have to happen before the cast and not after? Like, why can't a savage demon pop out at the other end along with us? Granted, I'd probably be the one cursing the feature the most since it means there's a risk not only shifting out of town (which I already avoid) but also into town. It could be an entirely separate failure (demon just pops out, but sorcerer is not harmed). - Daid

Dude. The failure should totally prevent the sorcerer from traveling, but still pop out a demon on the other end of the rift. So you'd be standing unharmed in Icemule saying, "Aww, that was disappointing..." while a massive slavering monster eats all the startled inhabitants of Ta'Vaalor before they can even say "Where did that come fr--AAAAAAAHHHH!!"

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Post Release Review 07/28/2015 01:37 PM CDT
>>PS: Is there any reason that failing a Planar Shift should have to happen before the cast and not after? Like, why can't a savage demon pop out at the other end along with us? Granted, I'd probably be the one cursing the feature the most since it means there's a risk not only shifting out of town (which I already avoid) but also into town. It could be an entirely separate failure (demon just pops out, but sorcerer is not harmed). - Daid

>Dude. The failure should totally prevent the sorcerer from traveling, but still pop out a demon on the other end of the rift. So you'd be standing unharmed in Icemule saying, "Aww, that was disappointing..." while a massive slavering monster eats all the startled inhabitants of Ta'Vaalor before they can even say "Where did that come fr--AAAAAAAHHHH!!" - Dave

Well, I was more envisioning a different failure. As long as the update to 740 was just making it more dangerous for our lolz. But yeah, I'm fine with the failure where the demon pops out at the other side without you. It should be a more minor failure; after all, why should I care if someone else is getting munched on by a lesser demon. How can the target town even charge me for demonic summoning unless the abyran'ra is carrying a rusty doorknob with my name on it?

Re: Post Release Review 07/28/2015 01:41 PM CDT
Rusty doorknobs! That has me thinking!!

Why not allow Phase to send items to rune locations? Grapefruits falling from the sky, maybe a bloodwood wand, a piece of iron. Send my friends winterberry ale from River's Rest?

WITH THE CHANCE OF DEMONS BEING SUMMONED AT THE TARGET OR ORIGIN LOCATION.

Okay, now we're on to something here...

Re: Post Release Review 07/28/2015 05:24 PM CDT
We've been looking at this all wrong guys. Why would we want to control the demonic anyway?

All we have to do is bring them here! They already KNOW what needs to be done...

>Professor Frink: "You’ve got to listen to me! Elementary Chaos Theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok, in an orgy of blood and kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."
>Lab Technician: "How much time do we have, professor?"
>Professor Frink: "Well, according to my calculations, the robots won’t go berserk for at least twenty-four hours..."
*whirl choke gurgle*
>Professor Frink: "... oh, I forgot to, uh, carry the one."
Re: Post Release Review 07/29/2015 09:55 AM CDT
I feel like Demonology is super under-represented because you cannot improve your hunting significantly by training in this lore. The few spells tied to Demonology are either under-whelming or super risky to utilize.

I can think of only two actual spells that can be used to hunt which rely on Demonology: 713 and 718.

713 also requires spell aiming to utilize, and does less damage than 711/705 to single targets. 718 is incredibly dangerous to use, and I was super excited to see updates to this spell. I'd love to see numbers of how often this spell is cast per day. I could imagine seeing single digits on 718... It's a powerful spell when you can ensure your own safety, but otherwise it's super weak and SLOW.

I would have thought Demonology ranks would decrease the time between rounds of this spell, and speed up it's initial attack. On top of that, I would have thought you could train enough Demonology lore to gain some of the TD push-down benefits from higher stances without having to change stances...

This is the one spell I would have loved to see reviewed, and it would have made the decision between Necro and Demo lore more difficult for some folks. Right now, 1x Necromancy lore until 100 for sure, then maybe if you feel like it pick up some Demon lore along the way...
Re: Post Release Review 07/29/2015 02:47 PM CDT
KOOLED:
The changes are amazing. Could you look into making allowing/disallowing following into town, town specific? In icemule demons are fine, but I still have to allow demons to let them in. The issue is that if I go to the landing, ohh I have the follow into town set, and I get fined.

I have already been working on some changes to address this problem. I am changing the logic such that demons will only stop if the town does NOT allow demons or if you do NOT have the correct permit to bring your demon into town. You will still have to toggle the TOWN setting on/off in these situations. However, if the town allows demons or if you have the right permits, your demon will follow along without any trouble. The same logic will apply to any demon action that may cause it to enter a town, for example RETURN, DELIVER and FOLLOW. The code change is currently in QC and should be ready for release soon. I greatly appreciate your patience, please hang in there a few more days. My apologies for the fines that you have already incurred. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

-GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Post Release Review 07/30/2015 06:12 PM CDT
Thanks for the update! No worries, thanks for getting the changes in so quick. I'm amazed at how quick you and the other GMs have been in making updates to the spells.

Player of Malisai

~ X., Free the Fifth

Re: Post Release Review 08/01/2015 03:23 PM CDT

>Today was the last release we had scheduled for the Sorcerer Spell Circle Review. We feel these updates bring a lot of their spells up to standards and promotes additional training in their lores. I would be interested in hearing any post release reviews and any other ideas you may have.

The AD changes are not good, as I laid out elsewhere. Necromancy lore is too unimportant. Rather than encourage training in necromancy, the changes has discouraged it, at least where 730 is concerned, that isn't good.

1. I am dismayed by the lack of damage modifiers being added for regular 702/705. Though the things both spells got are nice.
2. I am dismayed by the lack of a change to DC (ahem, chain reaction DC, or something). The lore implementation it has is pretty poor all told.
Re: Post Release Review 08/01/2015 03:30 PM CDT

>Earlier in the week a few people told me they were beginning to think a demon-focused 750 was coming, perhaps Major Summoning, because the other updates were so necromancy focused.

Once upon time, and you know this, we had minor pain, major pain, limb breaking and limb disruption. This was decided rightfully to be stupid, and spells were combined with resulting power being dependent on endroll or other factors.

WHY would we repeat the mistakes of the past and put "major summoning" in spell 750 when we can make it a facet of 725 that unlocks at 50 ranks of sorcerer spells, or X ranks of demonology. I've posted probably 5,000 words in the past on elaborate ways to do this.

Need I remind everyone of the litany of things that 325 can do? Things wholly unrelated to each other? Asking for our 725 to do two very related things is really not a big deal.

Or fine, offer up our 50th level spell slot to be used unnecessarily....
Re: Post Release Review 08/01/2015 05:53 PM CDT
>Or fine, offer up our 50th level spell slot to be used unnecessarily....(ASPEN)

My point in the post you cite is that I believe the sorcerer circle review should have included more balance between demonology and necromancy lore benefits. The changes were so necromancy focused that several people said to me that they were convinced a "demon-focused 750 was coming, perhaps Major Summoning." Again, I am saying that people other than myself reasonably believed a major demonology benefit was in the works because the rest of the circle review was so heavily slanted toward necro. I thought one was likely myself but not necessarily Major Summoning (750). In the end, there was no major demonology benefit.

Two sentences later in the same post I write, "As things stand right now, I believe 750 should be useful for both demonologists and necromancers while favoring demon lore. It doesn't seem like anything is on the radar though."

In this thread, I talk a little more about 750:

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Sorcerers/Developer%27s%20Corner%20-%20Sorcerers/thread/1724860?get_newest=true

I suggest at one point that 750 could be a major summoning that draws out both demons and spirits depending on lore training. Like 325, this could be a spell with a range of effects beyond producing a combat pet. Farther down in that same thread I offer a suggestion where 750 will allow sorcerers to trespass into other valences with various potential effects.

I honestly don't think we'll see 750 anytime soon if ever. I would also wager that an eventual 750 will have nothing to do with any of my suggestions.
Re: Post Release Review 08/02/2015 11:50 PM CDT
<<Once upon time, and you know this, we had minor pain, major pain, limb breaking and limb disruption. This was decided rightfully to be stupid, and spells were combined with resulting power being dependent on endroll or other factors.>> ASPEN

The demonic summoning spells used to be this way as well. "Lesser demonic summoning" was 714 before it was changed to Life Burst. The "lesser demons" were supposed to inflict elemental damage, and 725 was supposed to let you summon "specific, unique" kinds of greater demons ( > Level 25). Two attack spells were rolled into one attack spell, and now it is more or less a sorcerer familiar spell.

It seems to me that allowing demon lore to unlock 725 is just making the spell do what we wanted from it. Summon horrible demonic monsters that kill things.
Re: Post Release Review 08/18/2015 02:59 PM CDT
GS4-CYRAEX:
I have already been working on some changes to address this problem. I am changing the logic such that demons will only stop if the town does NOT allow demons or if you do NOT have the correct permit to bring your demon into town. You will still have to toggle the TOWN setting on/off in these situations. However, if the town allows demons or if you have the right permits, your demon will follow along without any trouble. The same logic will apply to any demon action that may cause it to enter a town, for example RETURN, DELIVER and FOLLOW. The code change is currently in QC and should be ready for release soon. I greatly appreciate your patience, please hang in there a few more days. My apologies for the fines that you have already incurred. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

These updates to 725 - Minor Summoning just went live a few minutes ago. I hope these changes help alleviate some of the concerns that were expressed in this thread.

-GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Post Release Review 08/18/2015 04:03 PM CDT
Here are some additional updates:

* Animate Dead (730) has been updated so that the maximum animatable level is now caster's level + 20.
* Due to the significantly increased accessibility of the spell, we've had to lower the duration of enhancement spells cast by animates. The duration is limited to the remaining duration of the animate itself.
* Soulstone wands now: (1) increase the caster's MAL by 5 (able to go above the normal cap), (2) boost the animate's level by 10 (still stacks with a gem), and (3) when POINTed at an animate, will renew its duration.
* Wyrewood rattles now grant a sizeable bonus (~25%) when held and summoning a demon (stacks with a runestone).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Post Release Review 08/18/2015 04:18 PM CDT
Did the bug with gems not working get fixed?
Re: Post Release Review 08/18/2015 04:22 PM CDT
KARDIOS
Did the bug with gems not working get fixed?

Not yet. But just as a note, gems do work. It just doesn't happen to update the AS calculation under some scenarios.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Post Release Review 08/18/2015 05:01 PM CDT
Thanks Estild. I think Kaldonis in Plat has one of those rattles ferreted away (oops, did I just say that out loud?), and I'm sure others will appreciate these changes, too.

>Not yet. But just as a note, gems do work. It just doesn't happen to update the AS calculation under some scenarios.

Right, it works...just not all the time.

Prev_page Previous 1