Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/18/2015 01:21 PM CDT
Since being first mentioned, I have looked forward to playing these guys. Heck, I even went on an influence-item buying spree.

Please say it isn't a completely dead project.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/18/2015 02:35 PM CDT
If it is, I'll be interested in picking up your Influence Enhancives.... :)
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/18/2015 03:48 PM CDT
I wouldn't say it's never going to happen, but I probably wouldn't hold out hope for it anytime soon.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/20/2015 04:21 PM CDT
>> I probably wouldn't hold out hope for it anytime soon.<<

Translation: It's dead as the dodo. It's pushing up daisies, and has joined the choir invisible. You have a better chance of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln dropping by your place tonight for a game of Bridge. It has shuffled off this mortal coil. This is an ex-project.

"The enemy are so many and our country so small ...
where shall we find space to bury all of them?"
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/21/2015 02:40 PM CDT
Sad sad sadface.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/24/2015 02:43 PM CDT
Personally the whole thing died (to me) when it was decided not to give Empaths MnM. (I understand lots of aspects of that decision, but as a sorcerer with only one unique circle among the pures, I probably ran to the toilet to hurl when I became aware of the decision.)

On the other hand, Voln was updated and Monks were released in the not-so-distant past.

Releasing Savants requires designing 2 entire spell circles. I count that we have 13 spell circles right now (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17). Arcane doesn't exactly count in my book (it's only partly fleshed out, and not known by any class so balance is a non-issue as a circle); 800 could sort of be counted, if you think herbs are spell circles ^_^

It also probably requires a review of Monks (there seems to be regular calls for this) and the MnM circle as well.

Anyway, it's a giant project. Releasing new races from a mechanical standpoint is fairly straight forward (I imagine the concept and origin part is lot more challenging than the mechanical parts...races only have around 20 or 30 attributes I think). Releasing a new pure profession is a massive project.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/24/2015 03:24 PM CDT
<<
Anyway, it's a giant project. Releasing new races from a mechanical standpoint is fairly straight forward (I imagine the concept and origin part is lot more challenging than the mechanical parts...races only have around 20 or 30 attributes I think). Releasing a new pure profession is a massive project.
>>

Yeah, you'd think...but no. There are a considerable number of scripts that reference races that would need to be updated. But still, nothing like a new profession in the work department.

SGM Sleken
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/24/2015 03:46 PM CDT
>>Anyway, it's a giant project. Releasing new races from a mechanical standpoint is fairly straight forward (I imagine the concept and origin part is lot more challenging than the mechanical parts...races only have around 20 or 30 attributes I think). Releasing a new pure profession is a massive project.

>Yeah, you'd think...but no. There are a considerable number of scripts that reference races that would need to be updated. But still, nothing like a new profession in the work department.

I had considered to point out the statement some GM made which was, "Whatever work you think it takes to do something, probably you need to multiply it by a factor of 10." That's a paraphrase, even though I put it in quotes.

I'm not sure why I decided to make a mention to new races, but anyway...

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/26/2015 12:38 PM CDT
Can I, for one, say yay here? We didn't need paladins, we certainly didn't need monks and we don't need savants. Let's put the work that would have gone into them to fleshing out the existing professions instead.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 05:05 AM CDT
>We didn't need paladins

I, for one, really like Paladins. Whether or not we "needed" them I'll not necessarily debate, since "need" is term that might be defined differently.

Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 09:35 AM CDT
>Can I, for onCan I, for one, say yay here? We didn't need paladins, we certainly didn't need monks and we don't need savants. Let's put the work that would have gone into them to fleshing out the existing professions instead. e, say yay here? We didn't need paladins, we certainly didn't need monks and we don't need savants. Let's put the work that would have gone into them to fleshing out the existing professions instead.
The lack of need is indeed one of the problems for monks. Things which could have gone into creating a place in the world for monks, so that they were needed in the expanded world, went into fleshing out other professions instead.

Savants would be "needed" if mental magic was needed, because there were as many things you couldn't do without mental magic as there are you can't do without elemental or spiritual. However, when looking for ways to expand the effects magic has, the recent practice is to make it sorcerous, i.e. its not something obviously missing from elemental, its not something obviously missing from spiritual, lets throw in a bit of blood and make it sorcerous, rather than lets throw in a bit of mindpower and make it mental which is what would have turned the expanded world into somewhere that needed mental magic. And of course, the more expansions are made in sorcery, the worse the deficit gets between mental and the other spheres, and the less room there ever will be to make savants "needed".

Paladins are needed because the role of a swinging deity follower was taken out of the cleric sphere and expanded into paladins. Monks aren't needed because the role of a brawler wasn't taken out of other classes. If clerics had got a bunch of upgrades to allow them to swing more effectively, rather than being downgraded into one of the worst pures to swing, then paladins would be a unneeded class now, just like monks are unneeded because brawl was kept within every other class.

To make savants needed some powers would have to be stripped out of the existing pure professions and redefined as mental, just like swinging was stripped out of clerics to make paladins. If that didn't happen and all aspects of all existing professions were protected, as they were for monks, savants would also end up as an unneeded profession.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 10:54 AM CDT
Overall, it's true that Savants aren't needed. But in reality, no profession outside of the RPG trinity (Warrior, Cleric, Wizard) are really needed. You can design most, if not all, of the different character build options under those three professions. Regardless of that, most people prefer to hear about a game that has 10 professions instead of 3. Having already designed the Major Mental and Savant spell circles, I am really excited about Savants. However, it's difficult to justify the resource time to development them when there are so many other projects we need to complete (more hunting grounds, Elemental Lore Review, etc). I do think Savants will eventually happen, just not in the near future. I'll leave you with this:

Major Mental spell circle:
Pacify (1301)
Sense Mind (1302)
Clear Sight (1303)
Dolor (1304)
Grim Omen (1305)
Illusionary Decoy (1306)
Vision Link (1307)
Sequester (1308)
Mind Block (1309)
Seer's Shroud (1310)
Phantasm (1311)
Harmony (1312)
Arcane Translation (1313)
Dominate (1314)
Comprehend Language (1315)
Mental Hemorrhage (1316)
Revelation (1317)
Mind Flay (1318)
Mindwall (1319)
Thought Web (1320)
Scry (1325)
Mental Nullification (1330)
Mind Control (1340)

Savant spell circle:
Force Barrier (1401)
Searing Cloak (1402)
Thoughtward (1403)
Combust (1404)
Grow/Shrink (1405)
Telekinetic Disarm (1406)
Body Control (1407)
Astral Spear (1408)
Teleport Object (1409)
Thought Shield (1410)
Banish (1411)
Force Pulse (1412)
Third Eye (1413)
Mana Burst (1414)
Reflect (1415)
Clarity of Thought (1416)
Astral Vault (1417)
Levitate (1418)
Arcane Siphon (1419)
Transdimensional Walk (1420)
Crystal Focus (1425)
Mana Storm (1430)
Astral Sojourn (1435)
Transcendence (1440)
Arcane Summoning (1450)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 10:58 AM CDT

my immediate reaction:

SAVANTS HAVE A 50TH LEVEL SPELL AND SORCERERS DON'T???!!!???!!!

awesome to see the lists
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 11:05 AM CDT
VANKRASN39
SAVANTS HAVE A 50TH LEVEL SPELL AND SORCERERS DON'T???!!!???!!!

All the cool kids do. :P

GameMaster Estild
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 11:07 AM CDT
Heh, beat me to it - albeit my reaction wasn't about sorcerers. . .

And agree, nice lists.

Doug
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 11:31 AM CDT
Mindy Flay (1318)
Hmmm, is she as great a chef as her brother Bobby? ;)

Sorry for the joke, in all seriousness that is a great looking spell list and I think when they come out I'll have to give them a try and see what wielding such powers of the mind are like.

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 11:31 AM CDT
For what it's worth...

I would plonk down my tuppence on the "go ahead and implement the spells as you find time/coding resources, and release them as searchable-for library scrolls, treasure system found tappable helms/tiaras/diadems, self-knowledge headbands at Auctions, and so on."

That way folks could be using them for years ahead of time, and enjoying all the really cool niftiness you've already got planned out.

And hey: Monks would be the best at those. :) Same-Realm, and all.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 11:46 AM CDT
I'll second Krakii's suggestion. Putting those spells out as you have time so they are available as scrolls and magic items would be a benefit to existing characters.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 02:29 PM CDT
Super interesting, thanks for posting this to TEASE ME EVEN MORE :D
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 03:33 PM CDT
Wait..are those spells partially, largely, or completely fleshed out? I want to play with new toys if as others suggested they were able to be put into the treasure system.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 05:40 PM CDT
>>SAVANTS HAVE A 50TH LEVEL SPELL AND SORCERERS DON'T???!!!???!!!<<

Mine was going to be about their 20th level spell when clerics don't... but you know... 319 is nice enough it might as well take up both slots.

The spells Phantasm, Mana Burst, and Astral Vault all intrigue me...

Astral Soujourn sounds like it might be similar to a spell I suggested for clerics ages ago.

And... basically... I hope Comprehend Language is on scrolls one day, and that it is intended to do exactly what I make up it will do - being able to hear and read a different language and understand it.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 06:58 PM CDT

>>I'll second Krakii's suggestion. Putting those spells out as you have time so they are available as scrolls and magic items would be a benefit to existing characters.

it might also be a good way to test them ...

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 07:04 PM CDT

>>And... basically... I hope Comprehend Language is on scrolls one day, and that it is intended to do exactly what I make up it will do - being able to hear and read a different language and understand it.

Seconded.
Alternatively, give elder Savants the ability to create artifacts that allow the ability to understand other languages. Imagine a dwarf wearing elven ears, or and elf wearing a dwarven beard, or an Aelotoi wearing a giant loincloth, or a giant with flapping wings ... you get the idea ...

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 07:06 PM CDT
<<Imagine ... an Aelotoi wearing a giant loincloth>>

Oh I do. Nearly every day.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/27/2015 09:16 PM CDT
>>Imagine ... an Aelotoi wearing a giant loincloth<<

I gave my GF a nice loincloth ... she's not an aletoi, though.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/30/2015 02:32 AM CDT

Wonderfully dazzled by this list. Amazing.

Please make it so.
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/31/2015 05:10 AM CDT
Does Estild actually have a day job? Where does he find time to all this stuff...?!

>Dominate (1314)

I can already hear the middle-school-aged jokes.

>Comprehend Language (1315)

Yaaaaaaaauuuuus!

>Mental Hemorrhage (1316)

LOL

>Teleport Object (1409)

This let's us throw rotten fruit at people, right?

>Third Eye (1413)

Hopefully it can be cast when blind.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 03/31/2015 05:17 AM CDT
>SAVANTS HAVE A 50TH LEVEL SPELL AND SORCERERS DON'T???!!!???!!!

There was the name of Demonic Summoning (750) back even in the 1990s. At some point they changed the website to read "Unnamed" but it was also named there for years upon years.

So I'm not really sure there is a difference here. Savants have the name of a 50th level spell which is not implemented. Woop woop. (Not a mockery for the work done so far on these circles, just that I don't see it being umm...yeah...anything different than other classes which are also missing spells.)

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Dead Project? Please say no...... 01/02/2016 02:13 PM CST
>All the cool kids do. :P

Pff, sorcerers are so rad their like 10-20th level spells are basically 50th level spells. /yawn

Player of Kilshaar