Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 08:48 AM CDT
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before but I've recently been collecting some data on ambushing from hiding and came across this effect after hundreds of swings.

While ambushing from hiding, if I aim at a specific body part and either:
1. Fumble and miss the location (I aim for the head, but hit the neck) or...
2. Hit the location but don't cause highest critical rank (aim for leg but only scratch it or cause bleeding)

Then an immediate subsequent hidden ambush to the same body part will almost always miss.

After what appears to be a brief "cooldown" period (5-10 seconds or roughly 1 "round"), I can aim at that body part again with a normal success rate.

This is mostly anecdotal but it seems like there is some penalty to aiming after you fumble an ambush and/or some type of aiming penalty for aiming at the same body part twice in a row.

Anyone else notice this?
Vin
Re: Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 01:54 PM CDT
>This is mostly anecdotal but it seems like there is some penalty to aiming after you fumble an ambush and/or some type of aiming penalty for aiming at the same body part twice in a row.

I never did the data collection, but I always try to switch target locations because I reckon this happens. This is open aiming rather than from hiding, but if a critter is still active after I tried to crush its head, the next swing will be for the neck.
Re: Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 02:01 PM CDT
Do I recall correctly that if you attempt to ambush an area that has a certain type of wound already, the ambush is randomized? Is that what we mean by penalty?

To use Rath's position, if the head shot doesn't kill, but results in a rank 3 wound, the head thereafter is simply ignored for any targeted attack resolutions?

Or did I miss a memo?

Doug
Re: Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 02:50 PM CDT
I've always remembered a rumor about subsequent attempts to hit the spot you missed being harder, but I've never actually tested it or seen anybody test it.

And wound placement isn't random if you hit - if you give a rank 3 to non-limbs, it'll hit the chest instead. You can always aim for the head, neck, back, abdomen and chest. If you attempt an aimed swing an eye or a limb when it's got a rank 3, you'll be stopped.

If you hit the head for a rank 3, and then ambush again, aiming for the head, and you don't hit it, you missed. I don't know if that switch comes before or after the aiming roll though. By that I mean I don't know if it switches you to aiming for the chest and you roll the hit the chest, or if it continues to aim for the head and if you successfully aim your hit to the head it moves the hit to the chest...

You can (unless it's been changed) use TWC to attempt an aimed swing at a limb - I may have the directions mixed up, but if you aim for the left (maybe right) leg and sever it with your first swing, your offhand swing will hit the right leg (maybe left).

I'm not sure if eyes work like that.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 03:03 PM CDT
Rath / Doug / Keleborn,

This is exactly what I've observed. Thanks for confirming. I've also noticed a "cooldown" period after a fumble - when you can then aim at the missed body part. Will confirm if you can re-aim at a wounded location after a "cooldown", need more tests.

I have to admit I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning behind these particular mechanics. Would make sense that once the head is lightly damaged, it would be easier to aim at it the second time. Probably has something to do with the way criticals are calculated.

The lesson here is not immediately aim for the head if you already wounded it. Head followed by neck is likely more effective.
Re: Mechanics Observation: Ambush Aiming Penalty? 03/14/2011 05:31 PM CDT
>Do I recall correctly that if you attempt to ambush an area that has a certain type of wound already, the ambush is randomized? Is that what we mean by penalty?

This is critting out a location and a different effect. Some locations can take a non-fatal rank 3 crit without being destroyed, in which case aiming at them will result in an aimed blow at the chest location. There are various bug/features in the way non-fatal rank 3 injuries are treated in the aiming mechanics, and this is one of them.

This thread is about aiming and missing or scratching rather than critting out a location. Along with the OP, I believe their to be a penalty if the next swing is made at the same location, but its not something I have collected the data to prove.