Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/13/2011 10:33 AM CST
<<Since I know you are an archer, the bug you found was the stupidly low ranged DS on the Ithzir. The melee DS you see is how it is supposed to be.

- - - - -
Ron >>

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Among Ithzir there was one striking differance in DS with seers. Initiates also had a significant differance though much less that seers. The differances between scouts, heralds and adepts were negligible. The differances are not a pat linear number but seem to vary according to the creature.
Among the Ithzir it seems their Sorcerer, Cleric, Empath casters are more vulnerable to arrows that their bard, wizard and rogue like counterparts. Here are some examples:

Ithzir adept
You nock an arrow in your short bow.
You fire an arrow at an Ithzir adept!
AS: +244 vs DS: +475 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +68 = -137
A clean miss.
The arrow disappears into the local environs.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
HR>
An Ithzir adept sneers as he says, "Te bunoja dax contenda!"
An Ithzir adept raises a hand and turns slowly, as if trying to sense something.
Your injuries hinder your attempts to remain unseen.
The Ithzir adept furrows his blue brow thoughtfully.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
You reach into the sleeve of your black silk shirt and release the strap holding your dagger in place. The black vultite dagger slides into your waiting hand.
H>
You leap from hiding to attack!
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at an Ithzir adept!
AS: +244 vs DS: +490 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +90 = -134

A differance of 15. As an archer or melee ambusher this adept is likely to survive the first shot or first ambush. I would have to knock this Ithzir down first with ewave or subdue or wait for it's wizard's shield to fall. The adepts seem to have the highest DS among the ithzir.

Ithzir seer

You fire an arrow at an Ithzir seer!
AS: +244 vs DS: +366 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +86 = -10
A clean miss.
HR>
An Ithzir seer raises a hand and turns slowly, as if trying to sense something.
The Ithzir seer furrows her blue brow thoughtfully.
HR>
An Ithzir scout snatches up an arrow!
The Ithzir scout runs a blue finger along the arrow with no hint of emotion.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
You reach into the sleeve of your black silk shirt and release the strap holding your dagger in place. The black vultite dagger slides into your waiting hand.
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at an Ithzir seer!
AS: +244 vs DS: +456 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +66 = -124
A clean miss.

A differance of 92. As an archer I would snipe the seer. As a melee ambusher if I missed I would probably e-wave the seer and hide/ambush again or hide and subdue then ambush again depending on if there were other creatures in the room or not. Seers are very vulnerable to ranged attacks.

Ithzir initiate

You fire an arrow at an Ithzir initiate!
AS: +244 vs DS: +423 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +48 = -105
A clean miss.
HR>
An Ithzir initiate raises his arms and gazes upward!
An invisible force guides an Ithzir initiate.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at an Ithzir initiate!
AS: +244 vs DS: +471 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +44 = -161
A clean miss.

A differance of 48. As an archer if I did not kill it the first shot I would knock it down and then try again. As a melee ambusher I would handle the same as a seer.

Ithzir herald

You remove a single arrow from a bundle of arrows.
H>
You fire an arrow at an Ithzir herald!
AS: +244 vs DS: +366 with AvD: +16 + d100 roll: +16 = -90
A clean miss.
HR>
An Ithzir herald peers suspiciously about.
The Ithzir herald absentmindedly hums to himself, his brow furrowed.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at an Ithzir herald!
AS: +244 vs DS: +377 with AvD: +11 + d100 roll: +10 = -112
A clean miss.
R>put dagger in my shirt

A differance of 11. Negligible in my opinion.

Ithzir scout

You fire an arrow at an Ithzir scout!
AS: +244 vs DS: +323 with AvD: +16 + d100 roll: +85 = +22
A clean miss.
The arrow flies off to the north!
HR>
An Ithzir scout carefully surveys her surroundings.
The Ithzir scout's blue brow furrows, her strange green eyes narrowed in suspicion.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at an Ithzir scout!
AS: +244 vs DS: +328 with AvD: +11 + d100 roll: +11 = -62
A clean miss.

A differance of 5. Negligible in my opinion.

That is a small specific sample of one type of creature among hundreds. Would be interesting to know how other groups of creatures compared to the ithzir.

Wolfloner
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/13/2011 10:32 PM CST
Decided to try the ducts and see what the differences were. Here is what I came up with.

Being

You fire an arrow at a twisted being!
AS: +244 vs DS: +256 with AvD: +14 + d100 roll: +52 = +54
A clean miss.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
HR>
A gremlock searches around nervously.

HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at a twisted being!
AS: +251 vs DS: +260 with AvD: +9 + d100 roll: +89 = +89
A clean miss.

A difference of 4. Negligible

Gremlock

You fire an arrow at a gremlock!
AS: +244 vs DS: +353 with AvD: +24 + d100 roll: +49 = -36
A clean miss.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at a gremlock!
AS: +251 vs DS: +358 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +17 = -70
A clean miss.

A difference of five. Negligible

Taint

You fire an arrow at a festering taint!
AS: +293 vs DS: +314 with AvD: +24 + d100 roll: +50 = +53
A clean miss.
HR>get dagger
>ambush
H>
You swing a serrated black vultite dagger at a festering taint!
AS: +301 vs DS: +320 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +55 = +56
A clean miss.

A difference of six. Negligible

I will look at some other combinations.

Wolfloner
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/14/2011 12:26 AM CST
how many near or post cap rogues have considered or already do use 417 to dispel critters?

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/14/2011 04:30 AM CST
Hi James

I have just recently acquired 417 so my own experience is very limited with it. I have cast it a dozen or so times from a guarded stance with mixed results ranging from knocking down 140 to 401.

I will do some more experimenting with it and let you know. At the very least it seems a viable option. I will do some experimenting with it and post some results.

Steve

Wolfloner's player
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/14/2011 04:45 AM CST
I use dispel constantly, and the largest benefit by far is making the target lose a prepped spell. The spell stripping/chance of critical is just gravy.

.jaired
W.W.O.P.D.
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/15/2011 01:58 PM CST
>>I use dispel constantly, and the largest benefit by far is making the target lose a prepped spell.

I was hoping for greater effects then removing a spell from prep, since this can often be done with the Groin Kick maneuver against a lot of foes (maybe not undead) and is far more entertaining to use.

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/15/2011 06:18 PM CST
Not only will dispel work on undead but its 3 seconds of soft rt vs the hard rt of groin kick, I think its 5 can't I don't really remember.
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/16/2011 01:44 AM CST
E-wave seems a more consistent option over dispel. You get a flat -50 to DS of the creature you knock down. With dispel you might knock down WOF -100 DS or you might knock down 401 -5 DS or some combination in between. E-wave also has the added advantage of crowd control if there are more than one opponent in the room.

From what I can tell with my brief experimentation with 417 it gives you a mix of results from dynamic to mediocre while 410 will give you a more consistent result in between those extremes.

During Gemstone III before rogue guild skills were implemented Lord Quiet wrote a rogue guide that listed several different rogue builds. One build was referred to as a magical ambusher modeled after Jesh I believe and another similar one was a hybrid magical ambusher that Aurien and Quiet followed with a lot of success. The latter build suggested learning a spell every 3rd training until you learned 410. Both Quiet and Aurien were legend rogues at that time with Quiet being the first halfling reaching that status if memory serves correctly. Game mechanics have changed a lot since that time.

Wolfloner
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/16/2011 01:40 PM CST
Although, in good news there are these proposed changes to 417 when the elemental lore review comes into effect:

Training in Elemental Lore, Fire unlocks a 10% chance to dispel an active spell effect in addition to dispelling a prepared spell at 10 EL:F ranks. The chance increases by 3% for every additional 10 ranks.
Additionally, training Elemental Lore, Fire increases the amount of mana that is burned from a target with no active spell effects or prepared spells by 1 point per 15 lore skill. Mana burned in this manner will not cause nerve damage to a target.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/16/2011 07:20 PM CST
>E-wave seems a more consistent option over dispel. You get a flat -50 to DS of the creature you knock down.

I can see the advantage is then two fold... since prone critters also have less chance to E/B/P an attack

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: Archer DS versus Melee DS on Ithzir 01/16/2011 09:11 PM CST
They also tend to use turns standing up instead of casting or attacking from the ground, which is my favorite reason to knock them down...

-Keleborrn.