Thoughts for new armor skills 12/18/2010 02:55 PM CST
I find the current armor skills for rogues underwhelming. They are fairly useless to rogues in heavy armor and no one has the extra points to dump into armor use if they are not planning to wear heavy armor unless they are capped. This system needs a review or other armor skill options that are useful.

Here are two ideas that I think would work fairly well for rogues.
TD Boost:
Rogues can add some amount of Target Defense by consuming a dark crystal pulled from a trap to add its anti-magic powers to the armor. As TD is one of the main reasons many rogues use heavy armor, this would pull more rogues to using lighter armor, which Oscuro is promoting.
Armor Flares:
Rogues can add acid/fire flares to armor by consuming vials pulled from traps. I could see this skill helping rogues in heavy armor as they are hit more often.

I see both ideas as very rogue appropriate. They would be very nice benefits in my opinion, but would not be easily attained. Like any armor skill, they would require armor use training. Additionally, a rogue would have to have significant skill in lock mastery to pull their own crystals and vials.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/18/2010 06:20 PM CST
what rogues really need, more then anything, to offset the disparity between lighter and heavier armors is the advantage against warding spells. So yes, I would fully support the implementation of a way to make lighter armors more appealing by keeping them on-par with heavier armors in respects to CvA.

such an ability could be implemented in many ways, but something like this could be a good option...

Skill Name: Armor Wards
Mnemonic: wards
Other Requirements: Specialized armor fittings (available at your local Rogue Guild workshop) are required. There are five quality tiers of fittings: common (useable at Rank 1), sturdy (Rank 2), fine (Rank 3), superb (Rank 4), and masterwork (Rank 5). Armor with flares requires sturdy or better wards. Armor already having a TD enhancement is not able to have wards added to it. If the armor being adjusted is padded, the quality of the fittings required is:

Common: May not be used with padded armor.
Sturdy: May be used with up to fairly padded armor.
Fine: May be used with up to decently padded armor.
Superb: May be used with up to very heavily padded armor.
Masterwork: No limit on level of padding.

Available to: Rogues.
Prerequisites:
None
Armor Point Cost:
Rank 1: 20
Rank 2: 30
Rank 3: 40
Rank 4: 50
Rank 5: 60

Description: Adjusts a person's armor so that it is more resistant to warding based magical attacks. Each rank allows the next level of wards to be added to a piece of armor.

The TD bonus gained per rank = 10 - (AG - 1 * 2)
robes = +10 per rank
leather = +8 per rank
scale = +6 per rank
chain = +4 per rank
plate = +2 per rank

The duration of the wards is also dependent on the AG of the armor. Lighter armor can retain the wards for longer periods of time, being softer and easier to work with. Heavier armors tend to resist the wards and cause them to fail more quickly.

Duration in minutes = 240 - (AG - 1 * 30)
robes = 240 minutes
leather = 210 minutes
scale = 180 minutes
chain = 150 minutes
plate = 120 minutes

Once the duration expires the wards will fade from the armor entirely, leaving it as it was.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/18/2010 07:21 PM CST
These bonuses will give just about every armor equal footing when you have 5 ranks, which sounds about right to me. I can't say I agree with all the stipulations on types or armor or affect length though. As far as I know, none of the other armor skills have anything like this, so why start now?
We need a reason why the guild would be able to provide Armor Ward fittings. Perhaps a back story on selling dark crystals to the bandits that plague the roads these days?

Some armor skill is still needed for rogues who wear heavy armor though. Every other class's armor skill is independent of Armor Group or is actually more useful to have heavier armor. If no skills are provided to boost heavy armor, the cost to learn armor skill needs to be drastically reduced for rogues.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/18/2010 08:07 PM CST
I am going to break this down and show the modified CvA of each armor at five ranks of this skill.

Robes: -35
Light leather: -25
Full leather: -26
Reinforced leather: -27
Double leather: -28
Leather breastplate: -25
Cuirbouilli leather: -26
Studded leather: -27
Brigandine: -28
Chain mail: -26
Double chain: -27
Augmented chain: -28
Chain hauberk:: -29
Metal breastplate: -28
Augmented breastplate: -29
Half-plate: -30
Fullplate: -31

So robes come out the winner in this somehow and all the other armors are roughly equal. Lighter armor already has quite a few advantages associated with it and now you want to make the lightest armor the best against magic as well? I understand what you are trying to do, just pointing out that you need to put a little more thought into it.

Not only that but rogues aren't the only ones who'd like to be in lighter armor. A lot of warriors would as well but aren't because of the same issues, only its worse for them. There is no hiding and dodge training is twice as expensive for warriors compared to the rogues. I bring up dodge because the DS of dodge in robes is far better then the DS one gets from shield use. If anything gets created to affect the TD, or CvA of armors to make them more equal it should be a skill trainable by both. And I don't think armor specialization is the way to go either.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/18/2010 11:33 PM CST
>>I understand what you are trying to do, just pointing out that you need to put a little more thought into it.

honestly, I'm kind of glad the robes came out on top. It would be the trade-off for wearing robes. You'd be a master at evasion and be able to ward off spells as well.

I'm not against warriors using the skill as well. It might even be fun to see some Erithian warriors in robes using a katana!

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 04:58 AM CST
Armor skills can be used to boost anyone. It seems like a very bad idea to give everyone wearing light armor lots of extra TD.

Light armor rogues are supposed to defend themselves against spells by hiding from spell users and just got several new abilities for that style. Are you claiming that these are ineffective?

However, I do think that someone with 2x in AU at cap should have way to get a better CvA than can be got at present, but I think the way to do this is by making plate heavier.

Create a new armor group, heavy plate, which you can only get by adding fittings to plate. Once the fittings wear out, heavy plate degrades back to normal plate. Heavy plate has lighter base weights than plate, making it heavier to wear. That 40lb suit of full plate (base weight 75lb, effective weight -35 lb) becomes a 45lb suit of heavy full plate (base weight 50lb, effective weight -5lb). Heavy full plate would need 200 AU ranks rather than 140 to be fully trained for AP and RT. Spell hindrance in heavy plate would always be 99% due to the antimagical nature of the fittings. AvD would improve marginally to counter the loss of dodge DS and DF would be the same, but CvA in heavy plate would continue to improve beyond the level reached in plate.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 08:51 AM CST
Trade off for wearing robes? Are you kidding me? Where would be the downside? You can claim you'd be more easily injured in robes. However, you can't over look the fact that a rogue can triple dodge and make themselves near impossible to hit with physical attacks, and I don't mean the great evasion but just the raw DS.

And as Rathboner pointed out light armor already does have benefits. And its not just limited to hiding either. You can get better evasion in light armors, you can get better DS in light armors, you have less maneuver penalties in light armor, and you have less spell hindrance in light armor.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 09:03 AM CST
I like the idea of CvA being influenced by AU training more than an ARMOR skill... Particularly for the mentioned issue that the bonus would be available to everybody if it was an armor skill.

If giving better spell resistance is the goal, I'd like to see some sort of graduated bonus to CvA with larger bonuses to lighter armors for overtraining in AU. Or, it could be the same absolute amount of bonus, but you'd have more opportunity to gain bonuses from lighter armors. And warriors would get the extra bonus that they'd deserve in this example. Paladins would see a big boost too, I don't really know if they have TD issues though (though conceptually it makes sense to me that paladins would have the strongest defense against spells).

-Keleborrn.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 09:40 AM CST
Or we could just not hunt where spell flinging creatures are.

Oh snap, the different types of creatures (physical and magical) tend to run together in packs as one gains levels.

Learned timing and divert helps with this, sort of.

What I really want to say, very creative ideas you all.

To bad we can't conceptually dodge incomming spells.

Have magickers utilize spells for target defense, while the physical classes would utilize a completely different system of skill (training) and cunning (stats).

~Lori aka Horsefreak (One of the Many)
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 10:05 AM CST
if you want to limit it to squares then it would probably fit best as a CMAN skill.

Skill Name: Surge of Will
Mnemonic: will
Hostile: No
Stamina Cost: 20, with a cooldown period during which the reactivation cost doubles to 40. At Rank 1, the cooldown period is 5 minutes, Rank 2 is 4 minutes, Rank 3 is 3 minutes, Rank 4 is 2.5 minutes, and Rank 5 is 2 minutes.
Other Requirements: must be wearing AG 3 (brig) based armor or lighter
Available to: Warriors, Rogues, Monks.
Prerequisites:
Combat Focus (rank 5)
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 2
Rank 2: (Squares) 4
Rank 3: (Squares) 6
Rank 4: (Squares) 8
Rank 5: (Squares) 10
Description: +3 per rank to generic TD for 90 seconds (refreshable).

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 10:40 AM CST
I don't think a cman skill is it either. There are already a lot of cmans and not enough cman points to go around. AU fits just fine and they can make it to work with only rogues/warriors. While I do think the lighter armor can use some help against casting I don't think they should be brought up to the level of plate, maybe up to brig or so, because if you make them equal to plate that negates just about all the possible dangers you can face. And like it or not heavy armor does need to hold some advantage over light.

Thats for rogues, I think they need to do more work as far as warriors in light armor though, because of the general difference in fighting styles and training costs the incentive just isn't there.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 03:45 PM CST
I'd to see that armor point cost reduced so that you could learn two armor skills. Even if you could only use one at a time, that will still give you more options depending on the situation.

Wolfloner
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 03:52 PM CST
I'd rather see the hiding changes come in, before new Armor skills.

Simply because nothing is stopping Rogues from wearing heavier armors for the most part as there is no real benefit for one vs another.

Sure CMAN Skills could aid the cause, but is it really something necessary when other Armor/Mechanical issues kind of exist...Like say, Hiding like a Ninja while in shiny metal clunky full plate?

~ A Rabid Krolvin
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 07:46 PM CST
>>Simply because nothing is stopping Rogues from wearing heavier armors for the most part

you must giveth and taketh away, not just one or the other.

problem with lighter armors = CvA

problem with heavier armors = too many benefits that outweigh the benefits of current Armor skills known to rogues.

eliminate the CvA problem and the Armor skills begin to look more desireable

I think a CMAN skill fits best. Or perhaps one of those new Martial Stances I keep hearing about?

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/19/2010 11:07 PM CST
Thing is you make CvA equal across the board then there is almost no point to wearing heavy armor. Maybe that is your goal? But there needs to be some sort of balance found in what type of armors are used. CvA seems to be a big thing yet many of the rogues in plat profess to using brig armor and some in prime do the same. Maybe you don't consider all the benefits to equal the difference in CvA, but they sure seem too.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/20/2010 02:18 PM CST
Not my first rogue ever, but I honestly dont see him in anything beyond hauberk, ever. He may have armor ranks to warrant plate, but to wear it just because he can is a terrible RP choice, in my RP Game. I would gladly trade that armor skill for the ability to flat out dodge a spell, but until then a TD boost seems a fair request. I can certainly convince myself that a passed warding check was a succesful dodge as easily as blocking that swing with my shield.
Re: Thoughts for new armor skills 12/20/2010 09:03 PM CST
So I see two basic avenues this could take (if the GMs even consider it).

1) its an Armor skill - negating it from being used along with Armored Stealth and Armored Evasion.

2) its a CMAN skill - because of it being stacked with Combat Focus in this form, it would need an upkeep cost via stamina per unit of time, with a cooldown time, and some sort of prerequisite in Combat Focus since that is the basic form of TD boost for the CMAN system.

It might be interesting to see how well a rogue can maintain Shadow Mastery, Surge of Strength and a skill like this, if it were to be implemented into the CMAN system.

Personally, I think the Armor Wards idea is pretty neat and since Armor is really the focus of this concept anyway (we are comparing light vs heavy armor choices).

-James-
player of Fremie