Prev_page Previous 1
I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/13/2017 06:38 PM CDT
With self-cast Lore.

Using a vaalin pick.

You settle into the difficult task of picking the lock.
You make an excellent attempt (d100=97).
You are not able to pick the lock, but you get a feeling that it is within your abilities.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

(Emphasis mine.)

"Within my abilities"?

I kind of beg to differ.

Yes, it is theoretically possible for me to roll a 98, 99, 100, or open, but it is NOT worth putzing around trying for at the risk of a pick that costs an eighth of a million silvers (and are signally NOT found in the treasure system, like copper and steel and silver ones are, in quantity).
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/13/2017 06:43 PM CDT
Probably known to everyone but me, but - when did open rolls on lockpicking cease to be a 'thing'?

Doug
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/13/2017 08:06 PM CDT
>> Probably known to everyone but me, but - when did open rolls on lockpicking cease to be a 'thing'?

They still are a thing from my experience. I got a few last week as I recall.

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/13/2017 11:51 PM CDT
The reason questions are: why didn't you know you weren't going to be close without an open roll before you put the pick in?, and, why aren't you buying your vaalins in a cheaper shop?

(Note: a feeling in technical lockspeak means the endroll was 21-40 short of opening the box, which is actually really reliable considering its just a feeling)
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 05:29 AM CDT
<and, why aren't you buying your vaalins in a cheaper shop?>

I don't know where you're buying vaalin picks for less then 125k.... I was gonna ask why the heck he's not making them though. Save 25k a pick and the occasional poor quality ones (which is less then 1/4 of the ones I make) can go to Hearthstone for deeds with the broken ones if you're not neurotic about maximizing exp from lockpicking.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 08:17 AM CDT
"(Note: a feeling in technical lockspeak means the endroll was 21-40 short of opening the box, which is actually really reliable considering its just a feeling)" -- RathboneR

This is actually extremely useful info; thanks!

As to why I haven't gone through the Rogue's Guild (implicit in the question of why I didn't know the degree of the lock)... I realize that the conversation about the grind and drudgery of lockpicking was not carried on this folder (I think it was up in 'Discussions With Simutronics'), but seriously, do I have to say why I didn't go through the Rogue's Guild? The grinding process of getting the skills to simply add more steps to the process of opening a box?
(Getting some ranks in the Warrior Guild when it came out was bad enough, it pretty much turned me off to anything labeled 'Guild' forever.)
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 10:20 AM CDT
>As to why I haven't gone through the Rogue's Guild (implicit in the question of why I didn't know the degree of the lock)

How many bards do you play? Loresinging beats calipers these days even if you don't hate guild work.

>I don't know where you're buying vaalin picks for less then 125k....

Vaalin is pretty strong and I have calipers so I don't actually have to buy all that many, but if you do, you should seriously consider getting Mist Harbor citizenship since its pretty easy to stack up enough trading bonuses there to buy the pick cheaper than the materials to make them with.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 10:41 AM CDT
Two Bards, one currently my highest character (and likely to remain so for a while, it's just so easy to level him; push button/gain experience) and one still sub-20 (I want to say about 18th level?).

With the higher one, I did loresing boxes from [Stone Valley] periodically--particularly when I snapped a couple of picks on stuff from the [Illoke Stronghold]--but I largely got tired of looking at the GSWiki page to find out what meant what.
(And I was insufficiently motivated to set up a bunch more string highlights.)
I eventually started using Larton's as a LoreSinging-information-substitute. (Now, with No Mana Cost and No RoundTime! Tastes great & less filling!)
Basically, if Larton wants about 2700 silvers or less, my guy can probably pick it; if more, pay Larton and be done. Oh, look! I'm already there...

Then I just hand everything pickable to the mule(s) until they can't hold any more, at which point it is time to bring in the Thief. (High-Bard and Thief are on the same account.)
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 03:27 PM CDT
<but seriously, do I have to say why I didn't go through the Rogue's Guild? The grinding process of getting the skills to simply add more steps to the process of opening a box?>

I hadn't seen that thread, but I can understand not being keen on training through a guild skill. LM is a bit of an exception though, in that there's not a lot of grind to it unless you're trying to rush your way through it. If your character is already a locksmith, you're mostly just doing what you'd be doing anyway (esp once you get past all that room condition mess at the beginning). The main sticking points would be the contests and audience reps.

You also don't have to do the extra steps once you learn them, I rarely appraise boxes unless they're from an area I'm unfamiliar with, for example. It is a huge quality of life improvement, though, to be able to wedge boxes that are too difficult to pick, inspect/repair lockpicks, melt the plates off boxes, customize picks so you can use the name of the material rather then remember what color they are, etc.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 04:05 PM CDT
"<list of Good Stuff>" -- Starchitin

I won't say you've convinced me, but you may have made me willing to re-consider. :)
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 04:33 PM CDT
The way you tend to hoard boxes, it would prolly be easier for you... when you're working on a task you'll already have a huge pile of boxes that prolly have what you need.

Starchitin

Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 08:07 PM CDT
Ugh! That post sounds awfully arrogant; obviously not everyone can afford to throw away broken vaalin picks. My bad.

I'll have to amend it.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 08:09 PM CDT
OK, arrogant self-promoting post deleted. Let's try a modification.

Bah. If I roll a 90+ and "get the feeling", I am NOT going to waste 20 minutes hoping for an open roll to come up.
If the box can be popped, I'll pop it; if not I'll wedge it.

Calipers? I tried using them for my own boxes, but using calipers on every box when picking for a client is unacceptably time consuming.
I have more regard for my client's time than that. Also, I admit that I also don't know all of the lock descriptions. Why the heck don't
calipers just give an approximate lock size? "The lock is bodaciously supremely difficult". Umm, just tell me it's -1300, OK? So, I basically gave
up on calipers.

I have stopped bothering with training in Lock Mastery for a while. It's tedious and time consuming, and I don't really need it now that I can
wedge.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/14/2017 09:59 PM CDT
<I have stopped bothering with training in Lock Mastery for a while. It's tedious and time consuming, and I don't really need it now that I can wedge.>

The reduction to picking RT as you progress doesn't hurt either. Though I can get the burnout, I just made my way though it by getting reps as the boxes needed came to me unless I got a contest rep. Took longer then most, but once you get past all the room condition and spell messaging stuff in the beginning it's mostly chill if you let it be. Course, I'm comparing it to all the other guild skills available across professions and working my warrior through forging (talk about tedious).... so mileage may vary.

Starchitin

Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/15/2017 01:23 AM CDT
>Also, I admit that I also don't know all of the lock descriptions. Why the heck don't calipers just give an approximate lock size?

I ended up writing a small stormfront script to handle translating caliper measurements to numbers so I wouldn't have to keep cross referencing lists either on a wiki page or in short echoed data scripts. I wish it was inherent, though - the descriptions are all well and good, but locksmiths have enough data to juggle and keep straight in the eternal struggle to not to blow themselves and others sky-high or break expensive tools. It'd be a nice quality of life upgrade to just shove the numbers in there alongside the description.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 30 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/15/2017 07:24 AM CDT
>I ended up writing a small stormfront script to handle translating caliper measurements to numbers so I wouldn't have to keep cross referencing lists either on a wiki page or in short echoed data scripts. I wish it was inherent, though - the descriptions are all well and good, but locksmiths have enough data to juggle and keep straight in the eternal struggle to not to blow themselves and others sky-high or break expensive tools. It'd be a nice quality of life upgrade to just shove the numbers in there alongside the description.

I did this too. 10 I could manage, but above -400 they just get too similar and its like the "twist of mazy passages, all different" puzzle.

Its possible to hit walls in LM where you find it virtually impossible to progress on your own locks, but if you are regularly picking for alts that deliver boxes which you can't manage on a lored vaalin, thats not going to happen. Contests are liable to be an issue if you don't want to think about the mechanics and how to exploit them for your own benefit, traps are liable to be an issue if you don't save boxes and want a continuing sense of progression rather than being happy for it to take as long as it takes. LM is useful from just a few ranks in, unlike a lot of guild skills which are only become useful when you are almost mastered. It took me to about level 45 to master, but I was getting value from it at level 20.

>Bah. If I roll a 90+ and "get the feeling", I am NOT going to waste 20 minutes hoping for an open roll to come up.

I might. Because the only time this is going to happen is if I'm going for a record lock, and if thats the only way I'm going to get that -1625 box into my profile, thats what I'm going to do.

>If the box can be popped, I'll pop it; if not I'll wedge it.
Vandal! It might go in my locker till I've acquired a few more enhancives, but I'm certainly not damaging it.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/15/2017 08:14 AM CDT
<If the box can be popped, I'll pop it; if not I'll wedge it. >
<Vandal! It might go in my locker till I've acquired a few more enhancives, but I'm certainly not damaging it.>

When I get to cap and have picking maxed out, I might develop this mentality.... but for now I'm also with the mentality of just get in there any way I need to. Not that I ever need anything other then a pick for my own boxes, mind you.

Mostly I'm just bummed I prolly won't get a new max lock or trap for a while. Went from needing lore to open half my own boxes in minotaurs to being able to open half of them with copper picks on plane 2 of the rift....

Starchitin

Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/15/2017 03:45 PM CDT
>When I get to cap and have picking maxed out, I might develop this mentality.... but for now I'm also with the mentality of just get in there any way I need to. Not that I ever need anything other then a pick for my own boxes, mind you.

I didn't reckon it was worth optimising too much until I had 303 ranks, because the optimum changed each time I trained.

>Mostly I'm just bummed I prolly won't get a new max lock or trap for a while. Went from needing lore to open half my own boxes in minotaurs to being able to open half of them with copper picks on plane 2 of the rift....

Its only the Vvrael have hard boxes on the lower Planes. I used to pick for Rift hunters at level 30 without any problems, as long as they were pures hunting the lower planes. The farmhands I hunted had more difficult boxes than they did. Pretty much all my records from about that level to cap came from picking for others rather than myself. I'd picked beyond what a mino would drop when hunting banshees on Teras and looking at Nelemar boxes when I was the only smith around.

Get to Plane 3 and lock difficulty will go up, I thought the warlocks on 2 had chunky locks, though I forget how they compared with minos. I did a lot of those levels from minos to cap in Kenstroms temporary grounds. I would have hated to have had to get from Plane 3 to 4 via 5 rather than Deadfalls.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 04:12 AM CDT
>>Calipers? I tried using them for my own boxes, but using calipers on every box when picking for a client is unacceptably time consuming.

Agreed. But you shouldn't, in practice, need to use calipers on every box. I don't know about the boxes you've been picking, but the ones I open have a very high percentage of traps. Are you aware that there's a correlation between trap difficulty and lock difficulty? Once you've disarmed the trap, if you've been doing this a lot, you'll instinctively have an idea about how difficult the lock is. -350 scarab? The lock will be easy. -460 scarab? Better make sure I have lore up, the enhancives on, and I'll check it with calipers before sticking anything expensive in the keyhole. No trap? Those I'll always check with calipers. -300 jaws? That's going to be a monster of a lock and I'm definitely checking it with calipers.
9 seconds to save 125K seems like a good deal to me.

>>I have more regard for my client's time than that.

I have more regard for my time than that, but... over all, LockMastery speeds up picking significantly. You would probably have difficulty proving that someone who is mastered in LM takes more time to pick boxes than someone who isn't, even though they're using calipers when needed.

>>Also, I admit that I also don't know all of the lock descriptions.

As others have said, write (or borrow) a script that uses the calipers and gives you the number. I don't use scripts for any other part of picking (just macros), but I have a script to decode the output from the calipers.

>>Why the heck don't calipers just give an approximate lock size? "The lock is bodaciously supremely difficult". Umm, just tell me it's -1300, OK? So, I basically gave up on calipers.

No argument there. That's a mistake in my opinion, and inconsistent with the rest of the lockpicking system. And rather useless as is without something to translate the output.

>>I have stopped bothering with training in Lock Mastery for a while. It's tedious and time consuming, and I don't really need it now that I can
wedge.

In case you're looking for motivation, when you've mastered LM:

* RT's for various picking-related activities decrease.
* The wedges you make are stronger and last longer
* The caliper measurements are extremely accurate.
* You are better at making and repairing lockpicks.
* You can fix bent tips in the field (I think this is available only when you're mastered, but I might be mistaken.)
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 05:53 AM CDT
I have seen several mentions or reduced RT here; to what degree are we talking about?
-1s per step (disarm, pick, repeats of either) is pretty small, but would add up over the long term (and especially so when Servicing down a bunch of levels).
-2s per step starts making headway ofretting +9s from calipers.
-3s per step or more, and you may have found a way to entice me.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 05:55 AM CDT
Stupid tablet keyboard.

Of.

Offsetting.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 06:28 AM CDT
> You can fix bent tips in the field (I think this is available only when you're mastered, but I might be mistaken.)

"fix" is something of a misnomer. The pick is degraded by the "fix" in the same way as if it had been broken and repaired, so unless you actually want to make a lower mod pick, you should avoid using this feature of LM.

>Are you aware that there's a correlation between trap difficulty and lock difficulty?
As a check on whether your lored vaalin might not work, its fine. Its not quite as good as knowing the critter, though rather better than only knowing the hunting area the box came from. However if you want to get decent experience from opening boxes, you need to use caliper measurements to select the pick to use.

>* The wedges you make are stronger and last longer
This can be a pretty big effect. Its ages since I used them, but at mastery I'd find myself still with the original wedge with plenty of use left in it in situations where I'd have needed to make 3 when I first got the skill.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 07:06 AM CDT
>>I have seen several mentions or reduced RT here; to what degree are we talking about?
>>-1s per step (disarm, pick, repeats of either) is pretty small, but would add up over the long term (and especially so when Servicing down a bunch of levels).
>>-2s per step starts making headway ofretting +9s from calipers.
>>-3s per step or more, and you may have found a way to entice me.

Picking RT is documented, and is -15 seconds when you're mastered. That's not a typo. (And it goes all the way down to 0.)

For other actions, it's anecdotal, but I know the calipers speed up. They're 9 or 10 seconds for me. I'm certain traps speed up too but I don't have data to support that. I suspect using wedges is faster as well. But the picking RT by itself should be enough to make it worthwhile, no?
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 08:05 AM CDT
>>But the picking RT by itself should be enough to make it worthwhile, no?

That's a tasty treat (and reduced trap RT would be, too. Does a master in LM detect an untrapped box at 0-5 seconds RT?) as are wedges, but how long do you think it takes before you've saved more time from reduced RTs than you spent mastering LM? I've heard people say, "Oh, don't worry about rushing LM, it'll just happen as you pick boxes naturally" except that isn't quite true. There are a bunch of time-consuming tasks besides "Open boxes you've found". LM is a huge time investment with many additional headaches such as needing locker space/mules/time to divvy up trapped boxes so you don't get marooned on the trap extraction reps. Plus audience reps which require you to perform a potentially deadly task and risk innocent bystanders' lives (Simu, y u do dis?). All that and you still will be a greatly inferior box opener compared to the town locksmith.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 09:18 AM CDT
> Does a master in LM detect an untrapped box at 0-5 seconds RT?

There's no change in the detect RT when a trap isn't detected, only on the successful detection of a trap and on disarm attempts. Its nowhere near as significant as the change in picking RT, but it is noticeable in the picking contests where you are always dealing with the same trap type. Outside of picking contests I reckon trap times are too variable to spot it. If someone wanted to go through LM with the purpose of documenting it they should be able to pin it down, but I think its something in the region of 3-5s at mastery.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 10:30 AM CDT
<I've heard people say, "Oh, don't worry about rushing LM, it'll just happen as you pick boxes naturally" except that isn't quite true. There are a bunch of time-consuming tasks besides "Open boxes you've found".

Of course there's the picking contests, making/repairing picks, etc.... but none of that is anywhere near as frustrating or tedious as the rock/paper/scissors tasks or having to clean more windows then there are in the guild that come with other guild skills. Don't even get me started on how much less tedious it is then alchemy or artisan skills...

<LM is a huge time investment with many additional headaches such as needing locker space/mules/time to divvy up trapped boxes so you don't get marooned on the trap extraction reps. Plus audience reps which require you to perform a potentially deadly task and risk innocent bystanders' lives (Simu, y u do dis?).>

This is what people are talking about when they say not to rush things. I went though LM without lockering a single box or using a mule. Sure it took longer this way, but I didn't get stressed out like those that did hoard boxes for it always seem to.

Then again, I also LIKE playing my rogue, hunting with him, and opening boxes for others. I set myself up in a town whose critters dropped a lot of boxes, refused tips to encourage everyone to choose me over the town smith, and let any other smiths that happened to be there know what traps I needed (never once did any of them have a problem with letting me disarm them if they found them). Eventually my rogue developed an obsession with picking (rivaled only by Rlen) that encouraged folk to not only bring me their boxes, but stay out in the field longer to ensure they had boxes for me when they came back.

Audience reps weren't that big of a deal, just get two other rogues in the room with you and you're covered. There were a few times when I got them at 3 or 4 in the morning and had to wait til the next day to do them, but I wasn't rushing so it wasn't a big deal. Of course, it didn't hurt that the main resting spot in the town I was in was also the main picking spot (and still is).

<All that and you still will be a greatly inferior box opener compared to the town locksmith.>

Maybe, but at this point I'd wager I have at least a couple million more silver in the bank then I would if I'd been going to the town smith.

Starchitin

Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 11:12 AM CDT
"Then again, I also LIKE playing my rogue, hunting with him, and opening boxes for others." -- Starchitin

When I was running the numbers the other day for Erek & Elysia, I was stunned to see how many levels my Thief had made (more than +20 gained) since the conversion.
I didn't realize I had played him as much as I did, but the Sheruvian Monastery was a huge boon for him (not only did he hunt there, but he also benefitted from all the boxes the Bard found in his tenure).
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 11:18 AM CDT
>>There's no change in the detect RT when a trap isn't detected, only on the successful detection of a trap and on disarm attempts...I think its something in the region of 3-5s at mastery.

No reduction to untrapped detect is frustrating and 5s reduction to trapped detect/disarm is underwhelming. Let's say that it averages 17.5 seconds for a non-LM picker to detect an untrapped box, 20s to detect a trapped box, 30s to disarm a trapped box, and 17.5s to pick a box. Tgo once showed a sample of 1000+ boxes that were trapped 36% of the time so let's say 1/3rd of boxes are trapped. Then a non-LM picker averages around 46s per box, LM picker (15s picking reduction and 5s reduction of detecting/disarming a trapped box) 33s/box, and an NPC 0s/box. 13s reduction is better than nothing, but 13 seconds times how many boxes equals the time spent mastering the skill? To, again, be way, way slower and more dangerous than the NPC.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 11:53 AM CDT
>>Let's say that it averages 17.5 seconds for a non-LM picker to detect an untrapped box, 20s to detect a trapped box,

You have that backwards. It takes more time to NOT find anything than it does to find the trap. Or at least it's (officially) supposed to work that way. Once you find a trap, you can stop looking. But if you don't find anything, you're not sure if you've missed the trap, or there simply isn't one. Also, say, there's 5 things you need to look at when searching for a trap. Once you find a trap, there's no need to check the other items for danger.

Most if not all of the "newer" (relatively speaking) traps should work that way. I'm not certain if the older traps do that correctly. But for many trap types, it correctly takes less time to find the trap than it does searching an untrapped box. Not finding a trap is supposed to take longer than when you do discover a trap.

>>boxes that were trapped 36% of the time so let's say 1/3rd of boxes are trapped.

That hasn't been my experience, but I'm mostly picking boxes from the highest level critters. It sure seems like closer to 2/3 or 3/4 of the boxes are trying to kill me.

Maybe I can look through my logs and answer that. I picked over 100 Nelemar boxes in one session Wednesday...
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 12:04 PM CDT
>>Maybe I can look through my logs and answer that. I picked over 100 Nelemar boxes in one session Wednesday...

That was fairly easy, actually.

All my picking since Monday, when I returned:

93 boxes were not trapped. (That's high by 1 or 2 because I probably double check a couple of them. Some were therefore double counted as not trapped.)

175 boxes were CLICKED! or wedged open.

So that's 82 trapped boxes and 93 untrapped boxes.

It sure seemed like they were all trying to kill me, however. :)

The vast majority of the boxes were from Nelemar or OTF.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 12:07 PM CDT
I don't think comparing LM to another more tedious/difficult skill (and I don't agree except in the case of alchemy) excuses LM in any way. I'd rather see people saying, "OMG, I loved mastering <skill> so much" "NO WAI!!1! <Other skill> is way more super fun to master!" rather than, "Mastering <skill> was drudgery beyond belief." "You think YOU have it bad? Try <other skill>!". <sad trombone>
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 12:25 PM CDT
The only times that I can recall people NOT grousing (all that much) about Guild tasks are:
- Adventurer's Guild, with its reward payoffs, and
- the Warrior Guild's opening. (Because at the time, no CMans at all, and DF Redux wouldn't be announced for another year.) So Warriors basically had "attack <creature>", and--for the previous year and a half--"ambush <creature> <location>", so absolutely anything new they got was a huge plus for their effectiveness.

Beyond that, my personal takeaway has always pretty well matched what others have said or posted about them: dull, boring, and mind-numbing. I get plenty of that hunting, thanks, why inflict more on myself? <dismiss>
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 12:43 PM CDT
>>>I don't think comparing LM to another more tedious/difficult skill (and I don't agree except in the case of alchemy) excuses LM in any way. I'd rather see people saying, "OMG, I loved mastering <skill> so much" "NO WAI!!1! <Other skill> is way more super fun to master!" rather than, "Mastering <skill> was drudgery beyond belief." "You think YOU have it bad? Try <other skill>!". <sad trombone>

For the most part, I enjoyed doing LM. Most of the tasks involve other people. I generally enjoy those tasks.

I enjoyed fletching because I could do it while with other people. LM required other people, and as was already mentioned, in large part involved simply doing what I was already doing, i.e., picking boxes. In a way, it was somewhat sad to have mastered it, but that was offset by the really awesome abilities that mastering it conveys.

The second time I did LM (I did say I liked it, right?) I planned ahead and saved those specially trapped boxes I knew I would need later on. And also made sure that information was available to others who might find it useful.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/18/2017 03:19 PM CDT
>>You have that backwards. It takes more time to NOT find anything than it does to find the trap.

You're right. I went over my logs and I'm averaging 17.6s per untrapped box and 16.3s per trapped box. All those scarabs and springs made me think the average was higher.

>>Also, say, there's 5 things you need to look at when searching for a trap. Once you find a trap, there's no need to check the other items for danger.

I never realized this, but a hierarchy definitely appears running from plated and fire vials at one end to springs at the other.

>>So that's 82 trapped boxes and 93 untrapped boxes.

You're at 47% in Nelemar/OTF, Tgo's at 36% (out of 1736 boxes) in high level Icemule-ish areas, and I'm ~40% in low level Icemule. If 16s detect per trapped box is roughly accurate, then it's 25s/box if traps are 33.3% or 27s if traps are 47%. If the detect/disarm system had the same 15s reduction as picking, applied to all detect/disarm, then time per box drops to 8.5s and 9.9s, respectively.

My main gripe holds: player pickers are terribly slow compared to the NPC and it'd be really nice if LM (or player picking in general) was reviewed to see what could be done to close that gap.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/19/2017 08:22 AM CDT
>I never realized this, but a hierarchy definitely appears running from plated and fire vials at one end to springs at the other.

There's hierarchy in the disarm RT too. Long RT on detect tends to translate to short RT on disarm (because you've spent the time identifying what needs to be done in the detect phase).

>Then again, I also LIKE playing my rogue, hunting with him, and opening boxes for others.

It would be nice if something was done to make picking more interesting for those that like playing smiths.

When was the last time a pure got a new spell? a square got a new manoever? a smith got a new trap?

Pick manufacture and repair skills in LM could use some new abilities with added complexity too.

>My main gripe holds: player pickers are terribly slow compared to the NPC and it'd be really nice if LM (or player picking in general) was reviewed to see what could be done to close that gap.

I'd rather see changes that made it more interesting for players than changes that made players into NPC clones. e.g. a bunch of new traps that smiths have particular advantages on.

Changes to spell mechanics and the NPC have taken a lot of the advantages the smith had away, lets have something new that is designed to give us an advantage over wagglers and NPCs rather than makes us more like them.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/19/2017 10:55 AM CDT
>>lets have something new that is designed to give us an advantage over wagglers and NPCs rather than makes us more like them.

The NPC part is simple, both mechanically and politically.

1) Add RT to the locksmith NPC.

2) Charge more: base it on the trap as well as the lock. I might be wrong about it being based only on the lock right now, but the bottom line is make it more expensive.

3) Let the NPC sett off the trap sometimes. The NPCs should be worse than the PCs, not better.

I think, mechanically, 1 & 2 should be easier to do than #3. I suspect the most difficult part of a change like this would be that it probably falls under the jurisdiction of the WL town guru GM (or some other GM) and not the rogue guru GM. ;)

But I think you won't encounter a whole lot of objections to the concept of "the NPC shouldn't be better than the player characters" because in general you want to encourage players to interact with other players rather than with NPCs.

As for the pickers vs. wagglers part of this, I have no comment other than that it's a much more complicated discussion. We're more likely to be able to get the locksmith NPCs nerfed a little than we are to make rogues (and other pickers) even better, comparatively speaking, vs. wagglers. Nerfing the NPC seems like "low hanging fruit".
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/19/2017 12:36 PM CDT
>But I think you won't encounter a whole lot of objections to the concept of "the NPC shouldn't be better than the player characters" because in general you want to encourage players to interact with other players rather than with NPCs.

Tsoran, I agree with this, as well as the suggestions to fix it. Strangely enough, there have been objections. Players who don't want to wait. Players who don't want to interact. Perhaps they are in the wrong game. Having an NPC that opens boxes instantly, never fails, and is always present is great for players who need boxes opened, but it tells those who pick that locksmithing is no longer a service players need to provide other players. Now there are no lines. There are few calls for a locksmith. Stand in the NPC locksmith for awhile in one of the bigger towns and watch (do it with 916 up). Imagine what it would be like if the other town NPCs worked like the locksmith does. Making the NPC locksmith better than PCs was an incredibly bad design decision. It reduced a thriving player service economy to ashes.

Also:

4) A category of boxes that the NPC just can't open.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/19/2017 01:14 PM CDT
Clearly, he just doesn't cost enough. Losing (essentially all) the silver, and any chance at a scarab or trap component, is insufficiently disincentivising.
Have him take out gem(s, 1 or more), or (do this VISIBLY) the boxfound item (s)....
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/20/2017 09:39 AM CDT
I'm not calling for the town locksmith to have 45-60s RTs. I agree that making the NPC a lightspeed option compared to players was an awful decision, but at this point I believe there'd be riots in the streets if it was walked back.

I still think RT needs to be looked at, but if alternative ways are wanted I think the cocoons were close to being a decent solution. If there were something like that in boxes that could only be recovered by a player picker and that had even a tiny chance to contain something truly valuable like an RPA orb, unique boxfound, or a merchant service certificate, then the demand for player pickers would jump greatly.

I happen to think the trap system is interesting and would love to see additions, but it's only interesting to pickers and has zero effect on a customer's incentive to choose a player picker.
Re: I think some wording may need to be changed... 08/20/2017 10:26 AM CDT
Scarab already do that: PC, or no scarab.

Just expand on the benefits, to go with the variety of carapaces.
Prev_page Previous 1