So.. HSN 07/22/2015 03:49 PM CDT

What do the other people of this profession think will happen for us?

Random guess; we get some kinda.. armor penetration type move where plate would defend as chain, chain as hard leather, etal. Having all cman stuff just cost 2,3,4,5,6 for squares as applicable would be pretty good too.
Re: So.. HSN 07/26/2015 08:06 AM CDT

Stealth manuevers! I wouldn't expect every profession to get some love though. If not this year maybe next year!
Re: So.. HSN 07/26/2015 03:25 PM CDT

Yeah, after reading some post after I made mine, I don't expect anything specifically for this profession. Something general, like the stamina thing was.
Re: So.. HSN 07/26/2015 06:04 PM CDT
I tried to make the STAMINA updates for squares in particular, though accessible for everyone (antipodal to the MANA abilities). Opinions are always varied but I think that there are some more HSN updates that squares will enjoy as well.

Ixix
Re: So.. HSN 07/28/2015 08:44 AM CDT
I'd like to see something done about the way picking experience gets worse at high level. Its fair enough that a level 70 rogue gets crummy experience from picking for capped characters, but a capped smith should be able to get better experience per box picking for capped characters at the statue or the well than picking for kobold hunters in the East Tower.
Re: So.. HSN 07/28/2015 12:43 PM CDT
Isn't the experience tied to your picking skill vs. the difficulty of the box (with appropriate modifiers for the pick, etc thrown in)? Technically I don't think level is a factor (other than providing a cap to how much max training you can have).

Or am I missing your point?

Or is my understanding of how picking experience is earned incorrect?

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: So.. HSN 07/28/2015 01:33 PM CDT

Reward being the exp gain, and risk being the repair costs and time invested on LMastery skills, it is much easier to gain exp by using a common lockpick on a kobold box at cap, than to pass thru the process of measuring and component stealing of a rift or Nelemar box.

Time vs risk vs reward, a post cap locksmith can earn more experience per hour/box from a kobold box than a capped box. I believe this is the issue that is mentioned.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 06:31 AM CDT
>Isn't the experience tied to your picking skill vs. the difficulty of the box (with appropriate modifiers for the pick, etc thrown in)? Technically I don't think level is a factor (other than providing a cap to how much max training you can have).

One of these modifiers (403) comes with a 50% experience penalty. Otherwise the harder it is to open with a pick, the higher the experience and high experience is about matching the mod of the pick to the difficulty of the lock.

Until about level 80, there is balance between a smith and a dabbler because the 3x smith gets full experience for like level boxes and the 1-2x dabbler gets experience halved for using lore. Beyond 80 the fraction of boxes that require lore even for a like level smith gradually increases and at cap there are a lot of critters whose lock range always require lore (and hence are only worth half the experience) no matter how well trained the smith.

There are other issues that make the penalty a bit worse than 50% but its lore having too big an effect compared to lock pick training on capped boxes that I really object to.

> it is much easier to gain exp by using a common lockpick on a kobold box at cap,

The lockpicks required to get high experience off a kobold box at cap aren't common, but I can (and do) manufacture them. The lockpicks required to get high experience off a lot of capped boxes don't exist and can't be manufactured.
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 06:49 AM CDT
>Time vs risk vs reward, a post cap locksmith can earn more experience per hour/box from a kobold box than a capped box. I believe this is the issue that is mentioned.

Time is another factor when picking for customers. e.g. if I get a couple of low rolls and consequently don't open one of my own boxes, I'll just keep going and maybe even shift to a lower grade pick if I've had a lot of sense rolls, but for a customer I'll move up a mod and sacrifice 30-70% (just how much depends on just how much higher the next pick mod up is) of the experience available to get it open barring a fumble on the next try. I don't feel time is out of balance for self or field picking but I wouldn't object to some sort of bonus for customer picking if there was a good way to distinguish it rather than something that was wide open to abuse.
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 08:31 AM CDT
Sounds like the traps & locks in the >=80 range are modded too difficult.

Either that, or it's time to release another 1-5 lockpick materials, with even higher modifiers.
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 10:56 AM CDT
>Sounds like the traps & locks in the >=80 range are modded too difficult.

Capped locks are set to challenge the ability of capped smiths to open them which is a lot higher than locks that provide top experience. I could, with enough expenditure on enhancives and lockpicks open a lock somewhere in the 1600s. Without exceptional equipment expediture it takes a lock around 1400 to challenge me. The highest caliper range that doesn't involve using lore or exceptional equipment expenditure is 1040-1075.

>Either that, or it's time to release another 1-5 lockpick materials, with even higher modifiers.

This would break the balance at lower levels as well as the challenge at cap. Ildran was going to rebalance it to make lore less important, but it was a big job and he never finished it before giving up as the guru.

I think the simplest bodge would be to make the experience penalty for lore contingent on ranks trained. e.g. 300 ranks no penalty, 200 ranks or less 50% penalty, and linear scaling in between but I don't know the details well enough to say whether thats the right sort of way to do it.
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 12:42 PM CDT
Is it safe to say that the assumption is that, by that point, all Rogues will be using Lore? (Hence the marked rise in difficulties.)

Also, a query: at the lower levels I suspect it's pretty much "disarm/get pick/unlock/done", right? At the higher levels is where you spend the time fiddling with it: calipers to make certain you're using a pick appropriate to getting the most experience, "doing stuff" with it to reap the LFM components from any traps, and so on?

If the time component of all those moving parts (trap components, calipers, pick selection, hell, even the casting RT and so on) were reduced somewhat, would the current level of experience be closer to the right ballpark?

And the follow-up: DO the high-level Rogues use those traps later on, or do you sell them, or what?
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 03:16 PM CDT

>>DO the high-level Rogues use those traps later on, or do you sell them, or what?

Define use. They are interesting gimmicks to whip out when following a much lesser skilled character (or group) into a hunting area, offering them to less skilled characters as boons, or giving them away as toys to be experienced. They have no useful benefit to a high (post 80) leveled and like skilled rogue, other than conversion to coins.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 04:34 PM CDT
>> Is it safe to say that the assumption is that, by that point, all Rogues will be using Lore? (Hence the marked rise in difficulties.)

At high 70s (I am primarily opening boxes from fire mages and the Rift plane one these days) I use lore on maybe 1/3rd to 1/2 the boxes I open. I could use lore less often but I don't try and maximize my experience per box since my primary goal is simply to open them and my primary means of gaining experience is hunting. I also try and minimize pick breakage and usually get 1-2 years life out of each pick (opening boxes for about 4-6 characters that hunt around 3 hours each per week). Most of the boxes I pick come from similarly leveled creatures.

>> Also, a query: at the lower levels I suspect it's pretty much "disarm/get pick/unlock/done", right? At the higher levels is where you spend the time fiddling with it: calipers to make certain you're using a pick appropriate to getting the most experience, "doing stuff" with it to reap the LFM components from any traps, and so on?

I use calipers on every box simply to make sure I don't break my pick. Using calipers (mastered in LFM) adds around 7-10 seconds per box. I generally use either vaalin or invar lockpicks these days (so the calipers tell me which one and then I use lock lore if I think there is a reasonable chance of the pick becoming damaged). Gathering LFM components doesn't add any additional time over and above disarming the trap.

>> If the time component of all those moving parts (trap components, calipers, pick selection, hell, even the casting RT and so on) were reduced somewhat, would the current level of experience be closer to the right ballpark?

Mastery in LFM reduces the time it takes to use calipers and pick each box overall. Opening more challenging boxes (the difference in picking skill with modifiers vs. box difficulty) adds to the time. In a general sense this means that the longer it takes you to pick the lock the more experience you can potentially be earning.

I wasn't previously aware of the experience penalty associated with using Lock Lore.

>> And the follow-up: DO the high-level Rogues use those traps later on, or do you sell them, or what?

I generally just sell these at the pawnshop. The vials are useful in removing plated boxes (0 seconds RT to remove the plate using a vial) and have a large collection of spheres and crystals with the idea of playing around with these sometime in the future.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: So.. HSN 07/29/2015 05:51 PM CDT
An experience penalty for lock lore (if true) is very silly.
Re: So.. HSN 07/30/2015 10:57 AM CDT
>Also, a query: at the lower levels I suspect it's pretty much "disarm/get pick/unlock/done", right? At the higher levels is where you spend the time fiddling with it: calipers to make certain you're using a pick appropriate to getting the most experience, "doing stuff" with it to reap the LFM components from any traps, and so on?

There's a time/experience/damage trade off. Calipers allow the trade off between experience and damage to be judged much better, at the cost of time. For capped boxes its about getting a bit more experience (I'll average around 60 per box once they get into the lore region) while not damaging picks. For the kobold boxes its about getting the most experience with virtually no breakage rolls (because my special low lock size picks are super weak and take a lot of time to retune if I ever break them) and that will average a bit under 100 for customers in the East Tower or a bit over 100 for alts. In the middle it will be about 125 for minos in the East Tower (there's not a lot of East Tower business between kobolds and minos in my experience) and about 175 for boxes where its only my own time I'm taking. Pushing it from 100 ish to 125 comes with an unavoidable increase in breakage and pushing it on to 175 gives further breakage as well as modest amounts of extra time.

You do have to take more picking RT to get maximum experience, but its still a relatively low fraction of the total time if you are a lock master.

>If the time component of all those moving parts (trap components, calipers, pick selection, hell, even the casting RT and so on) were reduced somewhat, would the current level of experience be closer to the right ballpark?

The only issues with the current experience I have is the unavoidable lore penalty on boxes from a lot of like level areas at and approaching cap, and the way bounties discourage me from service picking. (Bounties = saturated when in town = not interested in service picking because managing that experience/time/damage trade off is a lot of what I enjoy about picking)

>And the follow-up: DO the high-level Rogues use those traps later on, or do you sell them, or what?

Plate melting ones get used (because melting the plate and then picking gives experience that just popping the box doesn't). Otherwise its as Greganth says. They are nice flavor items on occasion but normally they just get sold for a few silvers more.
Re: So.. HSN 07/31/2015 01:49 AM CDT
<And the follow-up: DO the high-level Rogues use those traps later on, or do you sell them, or what?>

If I'm picking for someone else, I'll usually offer them the components other the vials... and I almost always get asked what they are.

Thief traps (jaws and needles) are cool for starting RP if someone triggers them, but after 5+ years of carrying around the same two thief traps without them ever being triggered I decided they were just two more things to encumber me. I pass them to customers if I can since they only fetch around 40 silver at the pawn. Honestly, I think half of the jaw traps triggered over a one year span were from me fooling around with friends.

I'm sure spheres and crystals might be useful to some low level folk (or in specific situations at slightly higher levels), but I've never found a use for them. So pray they take them when I offer them since they don't fetch enough at the gem shop to be worth running there just for them (though, I'll make the trip if I also have a cloak full of scarabs).

Vials go right into my ankle-pouch without a word. If I have too many to bundle into my kit (which is most of the time), I give them to other smiths that haven't made it far enough in Lock Mastery to extract them when I see them.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: So.. HSN 07/31/2015 08:40 AM CDT
Coincidentally, I have a few vials that I want to burn critters with but can't seem to figure out the verb. THROW, TOSS, and HURL all do not work. Any suggestions?
Re: So.. HSN 07/31/2015 08:45 AM CDT
are you trained for it (ranks in thrown)? It might take a rank to activate the ability.
Re: So.. HSN 07/31/2015 10:33 AM CDT
Good idea. I grabbed 1 rank and was able to hurl them. Without any significant training though they are not effective weapons. Would be nicer if they used the SSRS like society abilities.
Re: So.. HSN 08/09/2015 01:55 PM CDT
There isn't really much incentive for me to back to 3x in picking and disarm when I can get by with 1x disarm 2x perception. Wedge or 407 opens up most of the boxes. For the most part I can get 90 percent of my boxes opened without being capped in picking. Eat poison/disease scarabs. Ignore jaws and needles. Wedge glyphs... Disarm others with 408. For the amount of points invested into 3x picking and disarm it just doesn't give a whole lot of return other then the pride of knowing you can pick them.
Re: So.. HSN 08/10/2015 05:31 PM CDT
You can probably drop perception down to 1x as well if you have 402 up while you check a box.
Re: So.. HSN 08/18/2015 10:57 AM CDT
I've got to admit, I'm feeling pretty disgruntled about the elemental lore review.

The change to 402 is a poor one in my book. Sure it lasts longer, but not enough to cover a hunt. Anyone who hunts in heavy armor effectively can't use the spell any more. I've heard plenty of reasons behind it and they are relevant, but I still don't like the change as the downside mainly hurts rogues (squares who commonly know the spell).

Now the change to 403 just showed up. There are no downsides to the change, but it's still crap. 403 is primarily a spell for rogues. Yet to see any benefit to the change, we'd have to invest 150 MTP and then another 165 MTP for the next seed. This is unfeasible for any rogue short of non-hunting or post-cap. Additionally, if a rogue is picking instead of hunting for experience, they want to avoid 403 to get real experience for picking. While I don't really expect the elemental review to be aimed at us, any changes to 403 and 404 should be!
Re: So.. HSN 08/18/2015 11:14 AM CDT
Perhaps if it were done on a percentage scale?

If you are singled-or-less in <relevant skill for the spell, be it Disarm or Pick>, then you are subject to the full penalty.
If you are up to exactly singled, you still get 100% penalty.
If you are singled-or-more-but-doubled-or-less, then the penalty is calculated as "how close are you to doubled", reducing from 100% [singled] down to 50% [fully doubled]. If you are at 23rd level, and have 40 ranks (out of 50 doubling), then you have 80% of the skill of a doubler/you are lacking only 20% of the skill. You take only 20% of the penalty from 100->50, or 10%. Your net penalty is 50%+10% == 60%.
If you are exactly doubled, you get only 50% penalty.
If you are doubled-or-more-but-tripled-or-less, then you are on the sliding scale between 50% down to 0%. Say you are still that 23rd level thief, with 63 of the 75 ranks possible to you. You have 84% of the ranks/lack only 16% of the skill possible to you, so you take only 16% penalty.
Once you are exactly tripled, you get 0% of the experience penalty.

Re: So.. HSN 08/18/2015 02:58 PM CDT
Water lore?? Oh please! Even wizards rarely train in water lore. Is this a joke release, or what?

I got your water lore right here.
Re: So.. HSN 08/18/2015 03:15 PM CDT

We have a guild skill that lets us repair lockpicks immediately for not very much coin. They dont even need to snap first. Besides mages arent normally very good at pickin so they need the extra help. Also, they probably wanted to lore boost as many spells as possible so.. water lore.
Re: So.. HSN 08/20/2015 07:54 AM CDT
>We have a guild skill that lets us repair lockpicks immediately for not very much coin. They dont even need to snap first. Besides mages arent normally very good at pickin so they need the extra help. Also, they probably wanted to lore boost as many spells as possible so.. water lore.

In my experience using lm repair on a bent pick is a bad idea. It improves the strength but makes the mod worse and consequently the lock ranges the pick is good for are worse after repair than before.

The thing about 404 is that smiths have been grumbling about trap RT for years, and they go and give an improvement in it to non smiths. And not only is it on something that's difficult to train, the experience penalty for using 404 is higher than the experience penalty for using 403. There's even more reason for a smith to not to want to use 404 unless they really need it than 403. Around the borderline cases for casting or not casting 404, the penalty goes as high as 90% on my smith. Take a bit of risk, get 120 exp. Cast 404, get 12 exp.

403 and 404 sere slated for downtweaking not uptweaking by the last guru that took a serious look at the lock system, because training in lockpicking was not being sufficiently rewarded. The reward for picking (and other service provision, this affect TSC healer types as well as East Tower picker types) has good considerably worse since then due to the bounty system and when a change to 404 is made, it just adds insult to injury. I don't think it makes a serious difference to how fast a wizard can pick, and haste changes may more than nullify it, but taking something that smiths in particular wanted, and giving it to wizards instead and giving it in a way that won't even do any good to massively post cap pickers is something that I probably can't properly express my disgust over in print.

>The change to 402 is a poor one in my book. Sure it lasts longer, but not enough to cover a hunt. Anyone who hunts in heavy armor effectively can't use the spell any more.

Get it imbedded. It may even work better from an imbed now than it used to
Re: So.. HSN 08/20/2015 11:39 AM CDT

One of the goals, I have to imagine, is to make those under-used lores more useful. Water was by far the worst offender (increase DF on 903?) so I'm not surprised it's getting some love.

I do think the cost/benefits are still way out of whack though. If you want rogues getting in on these, those seeds should probably be about half what they are currently.

'Given to wizards' is kind of a weird tack to take. It's not like wizards are getting big gains out of this. I doubt more than a couple wizards in all Elanthia have points in picking, let alone water lore.

As to general lowering of pick/trap RT, show me a petition and I'll sign.

Now onto a slightly different topic, I have two comments/complaints about the STAMINA change:
1) The Number of required ranks seems somewhat excessive.
2) I think you got the names reversed. The ability to gain CML and act for free seems a lot more like a "burst". And getting tired, gaining a slight increase in stamina, and then being ever more tired than before sounds a lot more like getting a "second wind".
Re: So.. HSN 08/20/2015 12:15 PM CDT
"I doubt more than a couple wizards in all Elanthia have points in picking, let alone water lore." -- Keithobad

It used to be pretty common, because it was the only route to level beyond the highest creatures in the game. Now, of course, with level100+ being essentially uncapped, it's less important.

I know Tedra--she of the "+30 claidhmore" claim to fame--used to pick, because she and her husband had hunted out everything.

And Marc did, too, but for a different reason and in a different way:
- He had a box that you could close and re-lock, with settable tumblers on it.
- So he could set it for whatever lock difficulty he wanted, close & lock it, pick it, learn from it, lather rinse repeat.
- As he got higher up in levels/more skill, he could set it higher and pick harder locks. OR, he could not advance his skills at all... and still gain the 20s/max experience from a piddly lock and a piddly pick.
* Dude spent a lot of time in a locked room playing with his box. (I think he said he was churning out a level every two or three days, in total safety, looking up from the book in his hand and hitting the "go" button on his macro.)