Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 12:42 AM CDT
Ok... so apparently I'm missing something here...

You have 23 ranks in the Lock Mastery skill.
You need 34 training points to earn your next rank.
The Training Administrator told you to wedge open some boxes.
At least 2 more should have a plated lock or fused tumblers, or be out of your league with a pick.
You have 2 repetitions remaining to complete this task.

So... I have two more reps, they need to for a plated/fused box or out of my league with a pick... sooo

Taking a gentle turn, you choke up on your black vaalin lockpick for a better grip, then devote all your attention to the lock on a battered iron trunk...
You make an excellent attempt (d100=99).
You are not able to pick the lock, and learn little about it.
Roundtime changed to 9 seconds.

99 roll... no read... so I wedge the box and no rep? How is that not out of my league?

This has happened a couple of times now and it's really frustrating so a little clarification would be lovely.

(Bristenn takes a hold of Riend by the arm and swings her in, pulling her into an armored embrace. And, without further ado, he kisses Riend like he means it. Deffo means it.)
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 02:30 AM CDT
Did you have lores in effect? If not, then the lock is probably in your range with them up.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 07:21 AM CDT
Its coded as a multiplier when it should be coded as a difference and consequently gives silly results at most training levels (lm appraise has a similar problem)

A lock has to be twice your maxlock with vaalin to qualify so unless you are really low level or poorly trained, its not just out of your league, its WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of you league before you can get a wedge rep off it.

Unless your training is really wierd (e.g. 0.8x picking, 2.5x disarm) or you are under level 25 with a source of precleaned Scattter boxes, forget trying to get reps from out of league boxes and just treat them as plate/fuse reps.
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 04:56 PM CDT
>> A lock has to be twice your maxlock with vaalin to qualify so unless you are really low level or poorly trained, its not just out of your league, its WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of you league before you can get a wedge rep off it.

So basicaly the system as is benefits lower level players or people who intentionally undertrain their lockpicking while negatively penalizing capped players? That makes my pants very sad. Thanks for the answer though, I appreciate it.

(Bristenn takes a hold of Riend by the arm and swings her in, pulling her into an armored embrace. And, without further ado, he kisses Riend like he means it. Deffo means it.)
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 05:36 PM CDT

This is supposed to be eased a bit for characters who are 3x in lockpicking, but that may also only affect the difficult lockpicking task.
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 07:08 PM CDT
>So basicaly the system as is benefits lower level players or people who intentionally undertrain their lockpicking while negatively penalizing capped players? That makes my pants very sad. Thanks for the answer though, I appreciate it.

Only on this way of doing this particular task. Undertraining at cap otherwise really only helps when you are stuck in River's Rest and want to rep off customer boxes.

It doesn't really help anyone. I went through LM about as fast as I could, and I don't think I got a single out of league rep.

>This is supposed to be eased a bit for characters who are 3x in lockpicking, but that may also only affect the difficult lockpicking task.

Both types of lockpicking task require lower multiples of maxlock for reps the higher your training is. Situations where undertraining helps significantly are quite rare unless its making yourself better able to hunt your own boxes by freeing up the training points thats the main driver for undertraining.

I don't know if the out of league multiplier varies with training rate. I just looked up Tsoran's value, which is probably for a 2x trained smith but its not really a viable way of getting the reps on this task for anyone.
Re: Lockmastery clarification.... 06/08/2015 09:29 PM CDT
+1. Forget out of league reps unless you have a capped character and get through LM as fast as you can. Save all you trap component boxes. SAVE THEM!