Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/27/2013 01:28 PM CDT
I've always found Divert to be a very useful way to control your intended target and/or the other creatures around it.

Also, PEER is your friend.

Just something you might want to try out.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/27/2013 04:32 PM CDT
>>Divert: It may seem counter intuitive, but being able to stand in the shadows and make the crowd smaller and smaller until only one or two targets remain 'is' crowd control.<<

Divert is fantastic.

>>Vanish: Basically every reason not to train in Silent Strike. You can instantly vanish back into hiding immediately following an attack or ambush. Yeah yeah, I know, it doesn't hit 'multiple targets', but remember. We're rogues. Not earth trembling magiwhazzits. Vanish lets you murder crowds one shot at a time while only leaving hiding for that fraction of a second it takes for the command to go through, and as long as stamina holds out. <<

This. Basically, if you have a really strong stealth build, vanish is crowd control. You disable / kill something, then auto-hide before anything can hit you. It's basically what I do now. I find I use e-wave less and less. (2.5x cap disclaimer, but, I think builds like these are possible coming up the levels, if some sacrifices are made.)

>>You want to hit more than one thing at a time in a single attack? Alright, I'm listening. This one doesn't come easy, though. Bear with me.
>>Multi Opponent Combat: Haha... okay, moving on.

I kind of disagree here... I find, for a m-strike to disable a crowd, you first need to set up the crowd by disabling it. With an e-wave. Then throw in sigil of intimidation and distraction as icing. M-striking a turtled crowd is kind of useless, at least for me.

An M-strike that somehow, I don't know, could be used from defensive but put a crowd into RT, would be nice.

>>Whirling Dervish: What more can I say? With TWC you can kill two targets instantly with one ambush. Then Vanish!<<

+1. If you're TWC, almost every ambush is taking out two critters each time. Big win.

I do think the essence of rogues is not to vanquish a crowd, but to disable it, and take it out, one at a time. We have a lot of tools to do that now. They are fun.

-E
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/27/2013 05:12 PM CDT
More of a UAC rogue issue, but I find less crowd control options using UAC options.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/28/2013 02:45 AM CDT
>More of a UAC rogue issue, but I find less crowd control options using UAC options.

Its a general UAC issue. Rogues and warriors have some options but monks are stuffed (for a rogue ewave or divert beat anything a monk can do). UAC CMans are just pathetic compared to weapon and shield based ones. Its general, but it shows up more starkly outside 1on1 combat.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 07:40 AM CST
Rogues needs smoke grenades. Drop one down in a room. Vanish takes less significantly less stamina to use. Hiding and stalking RT is reduced. Hiding becomes more effective.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 08:13 AM CST

These exist as by products of lock mastery.

~The red-robed summoner steps forward, bows respectfully, then steps back. His hood falls back slightly and his dark sea blue eyes stare out from the shadows. He grins wickedly, then steps into the shadows.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 10:02 AM CST
<Rogues needs smoke grenades. Drop one down in a room. Vanish takes less significantly less stamina to use. Hiding and stalking RT is reduced. Hiding becomes more effective.

There is something similar to this in-game already. I have some buried in a locker somewhere. They came in their own pouch too. A small shadowy black velvet pouch containing small shadowy black crystal spheres. I can't remember exactly what they do though, it's been a LOOOONG time since I messed with them.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 02:00 PM CST
Hmmm; I have clerical spell blessed gems with unpresence, but that doesn't help with hiding per se, just staying hidden. I was thinking of getting gems with darkness and/or spirit fog. Anyone know if dark and foggy conditions help hiding? One would think they should, but logic isn't always the determinant of game mechanics.

None of these will do anything for stamina cost, of course. Combining vanish with trying to keep shadow mastery in effect is wearying.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 02:20 PM CST
<<A small shadowy black velvet pouch containing small shadowy black crystal spheres. I can't remember exactly what they do though, it's been a LOOOONG time since I messed with them.>>

They make you invisible. They've been sold at several events.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/27/2014 10:17 PM CST
>>They make you invisible.<<

Like a glass amulet? That's no help at all, really. Invisibility is seriously broken; just about every creature can find you almost immediately.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/28/2014 07:55 AM CST
>Anyone know if dark and foggy conditions help hiding? One would think they should, but logic isn't always the determinant of game mechanics.

They do help, though fog also raises the DS of everything in the room, so it's not optimal.

--Jurp
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/28/2014 10:41 PM CST
>>though fog also raises the DS of everything in the room, so it's not optimal. <<

Actually, that might be good for me. My rogue is using the UAC for combat; fog might raise the creature's UDF, but the UAF:UDF ratio isn't that crucial. It's the MM that determines the crit factor and I don't think visibility affects this. I'll get a spell gem with spirit fog in it and check it out.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/29/2014 12:14 AM CST
>Actually, that might be good for me. My rogue is using the UAC for combat; fog might raise the creature's UDF, but the UAF:UDF ratio isn't that crucial. It's the MM that determines the crit factor and I don't think visibility affects this. I'll get a spell gem with spirit fog in it and check it out. -- THROGG

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Unarmed%20Combat/view/377

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Multiplier_modifier#Room_Lighting_Effects

Mark
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/29/2014 01:43 AM CST
Heh, it worked, that's all that matters. -5 MM is negligible, IMO. I was far more worried about not being able to rehide before the ancient mastiff took a bite out of me. Ancient/grizzled creatures do show up immediately upon the killing the triggering critter. I'm not sure that vanish would have worked if I didn't have spirit fog in the room. I should probably have gotten unpresence also; then the one dog probably wouldn't have been able to find me.

>>You remove a tiny pink pearl from in your deep black silk pack.
>rub pear
You rub the pink pearl in your hand.
1d100: 89 + Modifiers: 138 == 227

A dense fog gathers around you, but soon fills the room.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
[Stronghold, Entry Hall]
The entry hall is immense, with walls reaching up into darkness high above. Fanned by an intermittent breeze, the air is markedly cooler than the courtyard outside. Passages lead off in two directions, both shrouded in an unnerving haze, which lends the shadows the appearance of movement. A stone lintel is placed over the huge arch leading outside. Its surface is covered with ancient glyphs, their meaning lost in antiquity. You also see a stone mastiff.
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast
>stance defen
> hide
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>stance offen
> punch head
A stone mastiff sniffs the ground intently.
A stone mastiff discovers you in your hiding place!

A stone mastiff tries to bite you!
You skillfully dodge the attack!
>
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
You make a precise attempt to punch a stone mastiff!
You have decent positioning against a stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 341 = 1.126 * MM: 99 + d100: 51 = 162
... and hit for 13 points of damage!
Glancing blow to the ear.
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup jab attack!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>stance defen
> hide
>
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
A stone mastiff sniffs the ground intently.
A stone mastiff discovers you in your hiding place!

A stone mastiff tries to bite you!
You evade the attack by inches!
R>stance defen
> hide
>
H>stance offen
> punch head
H>
You leap from hiding to strike!
You have good positioning against a stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 334 = 1.149 * MM: 102 + d100: 69 = 186
... and hit for 32 points of damage!
Spinning backfist snaps the stone mastiff's head to the side!
The stone mastiff is stunned!
R>
A fierce growl rumbles from the chest of a stone mastiff as she shakes her head to regain her bearings!

R>stance defen
> hide
>
HR>stance offen
HR>stance offen
> punch head
H>
You have excellent positioning against a stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 310 = 1.238 * MM: 107 + d100: 71 = 203
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Explosive punch to the face leaves little else than a pulpy mass of blood, bone, and brain matter!
The stone mastiff falls to the ground and dies.
R>
Out of the corner of your eye, you see an ancient stone mastiff approaching. He must be the creature that you've been tasked to kill!
R>loot
You search the stone mastiff.
She had nothing of interest.
A stone mastiff crumbles into a pile of rubble.
>cman vanish
With subtlety and speed, you aim to clandestinely vanish into the shadows.
H>stance offen
> punch head
H>
You make a precise attempt to punch an ancient stone mastiff!
You have good positioning against an ancient stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 365 = 1.052 * MM: 106 + d100: 39 = 150
... and hit for 27 points of damage!
Spinning backfist snaps the stone mastiff's head to the side!
R>stance defen
> hide
R>
An ancient stone mastiff claws at you!
AS: +345 vs DS: +315 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +57 = +110
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Blow slides along your ribs.
Almost tickles.
R>stance defen
> hide
>
HR>stance offen
> punch head
H>
You have excellent positioning against an ancient stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 332 = 1.156 * MM: 106 + d100: 32 = 154
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Strong downward swing staggers foe and dents skull!
The stone mastiff is knocked to his knees!
The stone mastiff seems at a loss for words!
R>
An ancient stone mastiff growls as he scrambles to his feet!
R>stance defen
> hide
>
HR>
You feel fully energetic again.
H>stance offen
> punch head
H>
You have excellent positioning against an ancient stone mastiff.
UAF: 384 vs UDF: 294 = 1.306 * MM: 107 + d100: 5 = 144
... and hit for 41 points of damage!
Palm strike to face drives nose straight into brain!

[You have completed this portion of your Adventurer's Guild task.]
The stone mastiff falls to the ground and dies.

Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/29/2014 07:15 PM CST
Now just learn to self-cast fog and get enough spirit summoning lore to auto-hide the instant the spell is cast. It is an idea I've chewed over in the past but blessing lore is just so much more useful...

Post-cap problems.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/29/2014 08:22 PM CST
I'm not sure I want to know just how far post cap a rogue needs to be before training in Lores starts looking like a good idea.... but I'm fairly certain it's WAY up there.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 12/29/2014 08:47 PM CST
Just did a fix to rework my current lore and shuffled some other things around to make 40 summoning lore happen. Wanted to rework my cmans anyway, so, I'll let you all know if its worth it or not.

Good times.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 02/03/2015 03:40 PM CST
<< Just did a fix to rework my current lore and shuffled some other things around to make 40 summoning lore happen. Wanted to rework my cmans anyway, so, I'll let you all know if its worth it or not.

Good times. >>

Can now confirm. Not good times. Complete waste of TPs. Don't recommend. 0/10. Even with rice.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page