Prev_page Previous 1
TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 02:18 PM CDT
Any chance there are some combat maneuvers in the works for two weapon combat similar to the armor and shield skills that have been released?

Two weapon combat is becoming an incredibly poor choice for a rogue, but that's the way I've always seen my character. It could use a little love.

*small rant, then continuuing on topic*
I've been excited by all the new skills that have been made available this past year, but honestly I'm underwhelmed at the results for my character (ambusher with two medium weapons in heavy armor). There has been a very large push to make rogues wear lighter armors (and I support that), but every skill released for rogues practically excludes those in heavy armor. I can always completely change my hunting style to make use of the new opportunities, but I like to play the way I've made my character. It's frustrating to see all the benefits going to so many, while leaving a particular group of us in the cold. When everyone gets a raise except you, you ARE being penalized.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 02:48 PM CDT
I agree. I feel the change was mostly with warriors in mind, without as much regard for what it means for rogues. Does Simu truly want most rogues to be using a shield?

I hate the idea of being a rogue, and carrying a shield. As soon as dodge was released, I rejoiced, because Simu finally allowed rogues to be more roguely!

At least, shield maneuvers finally allows melee rogues to be on par with ranged rogues, who were at the top before.

Now all that's left is throwing, and TWC.

Someone in another thread had suggested dodge maneuvers, but I don't see that as being a very good idea, because it would counteract the whole point of shield maneuvers, which was to give more incentive to use a shield, since ranged and two-handed weapon users were able to attain such good defense anyways. Ranged and two-handed weapon users train in dodge, so it would just put things back where they started.

So yeah, it would be great for throwing and TWC to get some kind of boost, next.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 03:00 PM CDT
It seems more and more players are being expected to alter characters, many of which they've had and played for 10-15 years, to match some grand vision of what their class should be if they want to take advantage of new skills, spells, and perks. It wouldn't be so bad if the over-all idea for what each profession should be didn't change every time they get a new guru.

Maybe each profession should do what the residents of RR did years ago: take up a collection to invest in a black helicopter that can be used to keep an eye one their gurus and make sure they don't leave anyone in the dust or fudge them up.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 03:16 PM CDT
Have you tried Whirling Dervish yet?

The 30 ranks in Multi Opponent Combat might seem like a heavy requirement for a rogue, but if you are a combat oriented rogue anyway this might be right up your alley.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 03:36 PM CDT
As a TWC rogue, I don't really have a use for Whirling Dervish. My second hand is mostly there for when my main hand misses an ambush, not to be used for mstriking.

Not only that, but whirling dervish is yet another cman skill I already don't have any points remaining for. I already have tough choices to make, as it is, and Whirling Dervish would not even be close to the top of my list of cmans to learn, if I could.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 04:25 PM CDT
30 ranks of MOC really is a heavy investment for a rogue. I'm capped so I can add it to my list of goals, but I don't see this as a realistic martial stance for most rogues. If you are ambushing, can you still aim and get the stance pushdown on the second strike?
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 04:57 PM CDT
>If you are ambushing, can you still aim and get the stance pushdown on the second strike?

Yes. The off-hand ambush aims at the same location specified with full ambush modifiers in place. You can kill two targets with one ambush easy enough. Or two+ targets with one focused mstrike.

Pretty nice stuff, actually. 30 ranks of MoC is nice to work in anyway.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 06:15 PM CDT
>>Yes. The off-hand ambush aims at the same location specified with full ambush modifiers in place. You can kill two targets with one ambush easy enough. Or two+ targets with one focused mstrike.

Interesting. Now this does sound a bit more useful. Maybe I'll play with it once the next fixskills rolls around.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 06:35 PM CDT
>>Have you tried Whirling Dervish yet?

The 30 ranks in Multi Opponent Combat might seem like a heavy requirement for a rogue, but if you are a combat oriented rogue anyway this might be right up your alley.<<

My empath has 30 ranks in MOC! She wants to learn Whirling Dervish! ::grumble::

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 07:22 PM CDT
>Two weapon combat is becoming an incredibly poor choice for a rogue, but that's the way I've always seen my character. It could use a little love.
STL0369

It really hasn't gotten any worse, or better, for any other profession. Plus, Dervish is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when you consider that an ambushing rogue can have both the first attack and new attack (on the second creature) targeted for the same place.

>but every skill released for rogues practically excludes those in heavy armor

Two ARMOR skills (obviously) take armor into account. The new Cmans and SHIELD maneuvers don't.

>I feel the change was mostly with warriors in mind, without as much regard for what it means for rogues. Does Simu truly want most rogues to be using a shield?
CIDHIGHWIND

I think it does a good job of encouraging both rogues and warriors to use shields. Both professions were under represented, and underpowered. I don't see how this should indicate that the GMs want 'most' rogues to be using a shield. More? Absolutely.

>At least, shield maneuvers finally allows melee rogues to be on par with ranged rogues, who were at the top before.

Nah.

Sword/Board rogues got an improvement, and a very good one, but there's still no comparison to archer rogues. Archers are still top of the food chain.

>Now all that's left is throwing, and TWC.

I'd be all for it. Considering I have rogues that do both. And have for years.

-farmer
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 07:30 PM CDT
>Two ARMOR skills (obviously) take armor into account. The new Cmans and SHIELD maneuvers don't.
Me

I was mistaken. Slippery mind does. I originally read it as taking shield size into account.

-farmer
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 07:43 PM CDT
Slippery mind and evasion mastery are both pretty nice. But the +CvA of robes makes it so unappealing to me.

I think if I was in robes, I'd have to hunt in a manner that makes slippery mind and evasion mastery a non-factor anyways (using vanish a lot, and having plenty of DS/TD, etc..).

Maybe if armor overtraining counted towards them, it would be more useful, but I already tried asking for that on the armor forum and got nothing but resistance.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/08/2013 09:03 PM CDT
<<<Have you tried Whirling Dervish yet?>>>

This seems like a really cool CMAN. My rogue's just a wee lass but I plan to train for this.

~ Heathyr
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 03:02 AM CDT
>>As a TWC rogue, I don't really have a use for Whirling Dervish. <<

Yes you do.

>>Not only that, but whirling dervish is yet another cman skill I already don't have any points remaining for. I already have tough choices to make, as it is, and Whirling Dervish would not even be close to the top of my list of cmans to learn, if I could.<<

Once you have Whirling Dervish, you will realize it is not a tough choice at all.

TWCers, get this stance and get it now.

-E
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 01:37 PM CDT
I don't know. I may pick it up in a few months, after I have some more post cap xp and a fixskills.

Currently I avoid fighting multiple critters at once. I'm worried it may get me killed often enough to make it not so worthwhile. Even at max ranks, 1 in 5 times will fail, and put me at risk. I don't know why it's not at least 100% chance...
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 06:07 PM CDT
OK, does Dervish work from hiding/ambush? If not I see little value for my TWC ambusher. Unless the second attack (from the open!) also gets the ambush DS pushdown.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 06:22 PM CDT
>OK, does Dervish work from hiding/ambush? If not I see little value for my TWC ambusher. Unless the second attack (from the open!) also gets the ambush DS pushdown.
THROGG

Re: TWC maneuvers on 04/08/2013 05:57 PM EDT
>If you are ambushing, can you still aim and get the stance pushdown on the second strike?
Yes. The off-hand ambush aims at the same location specified with full ambush modifiers in place. You can kill two targets with one ambush easy enough. Or two+ targets with one focused mstrike.
Pretty nice stuff, actually. 30 ranks of MoC is nice to work in anyway.
.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Rogues/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Rogues/view/455

-farmer
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 06:33 PM CDT
It will take another couple months or a fixskill to get the ranks of MOC for me too, but since it works from ambush, I think you're underestimating it's worth.

Whirling Dervish's chance to activate is 5% + 25% per rank. So with three ranks, it should trigger 80% of the time.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/10/2013 08:23 PM CDT
>>Whirling Dervish's chance to activate is 5% + 25% per rank. So with three ranks, it should trigger 80% of the time.

Which means that 20% of the time, the other critter will get to attack me :)

It's hard to stance dance two critters! As I said before...maybe once I get enough XP for more dodge/MoC ranks, it will be more viable for me. Until then I think it's a safer bet to stick to lone critters, as I usually do.

It still seems to me like it was designed mostly for warriors - especially with the MoC requirement.

And honestly, I always felt you should be able to aim BOTH weapons where you want. The fact that it takes a cman skill, MoC ranks, only has an 80% chance, and then has the regular ambushing failure chance....it just doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing to all the awesome new shield mans.

If they made an off-hand weapon that worked as a shield and not a weapon, I'd switch to shield use in a second!!! :D
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/11/2013 06:22 AM CDT
>Which means that 20% of the time, the other critter will get to attack me :)

Which means the other 20% of the time you get to VANISH.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/11/2013 01:14 PM CDT
>>Which means the other 20% of the time you get to VANISH.

So that means I have to train yet ANOTHER cman for it to work for me? Nice!
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 12:37 AM CDT

If you don't have vanish, I don't know why you're a rogue!

I love Vanish.

-E
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 01:04 AM CDT
Vanish is cool; but I have a dilemna. Should I get 5th ranks of shadowmastery first, or get rank 3 vanish now and get rank 5 in a bit?

Personally I am favoring getting rank 5 smastery since apparently, according to the description, that is active all the time. Sounds like cool beans.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 01:24 AM CDT
Its the passive -1 second to sneak that is active all the time, so even without running shadowy mastery you have a 2 second sneak time instead of 3. But being able to vanish during any amount of roundtime would probably be more valuable to you then that fifth rank of shadow mastery.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 03:02 AM CDT
<Vanish is cool; but I have a dilemna. Should I get 5th ranks of shadowmastery first, or get rank 3 vanish now and get rank 5 in a bit?>

Personally I'd go for the 5th rank in shadow mastery first, esp if you sneak around a lot.... unless you're currently hunting something with a maneuver that puts you in 7+ seconds of RT regularly or have an RT of 7 seconds or more when you swing your weapon.

Yes, I know 2 ranks of vanish only works with 5 seconds or RT or less, but if I get 6 seconds of RT, 9 times out of 10, it will have dropped down to 5 seconds by the time I type "cman van" or I've typed so fast that I made a typo and have to retype it anyway.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 03:48 AM CDT
I am more thinking of rt from creature maneuvers and things then from ambushing itself. So it likely depends on where/what she hunts. It is just something to keep in mind.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 11:17 AM CDT
>>If you don't have vanish, I don't know why you're a rogue!

Without 3x hiding I find it incredibly unreliable. Especially in the rift.
Re: TWC maneuvers 04/12/2013 02:22 PM CDT
Ditto
Re: TWC maneuvers 07/08/2013 01:38 AM CDT
As an ambusher, I'm often aiming at heads, necks, or eyes. Up in the Rift, the critters don't all have these parts where I hunt. My second swing from dervish is often just not attempted because of this. Unless this is a feature, would it be too hard to change dervish second strikes to just be untargetted ambushes if the critter doesn't have the body part I was originally attacking?
Re: TWC maneuvers 07/08/2013 02:20 AM CDT
Having an aim location one and two would be great. I am guessing your issue comes from killing something then a cerebralite is your second creature which doesn't have a necks and your ambush does nothing but give you the message it doesn't have one, that would be rather annoying.
Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 08:55 AM CDT
Hey all, I'm coming back to the forums after a long time gone. And I know this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to sink my teeth in the combat maneuvers for rogues because I had a great idea the other day.

What if we could have a great CC (crowd control) move that potentially hamstrings opponents and allows for the rogue to return to the shadows.

We could call it shadowstep.

Skill Name: Shadow Step
Mnemonic: shadowstep
Hostile: Yes
Stamina Cost: Base 55 (-8 Rank 1, -6 Rank 2, -4 Rank 3)
Other Requirements: Training in Ambush and Stalking and Hiding is recommended.
Available to: Rogues.
Prerequisites:
Shadow Mastery (at rank 4), Silent Strike (at rank 3)
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 2
Rank 2: (Squares) 4
Rank 3: (Squares) 6
Rank 4: (Squares) 8
Rank 5: (Squares) 10
Description: Attempt to hamstring opponent(s) from hiding without revealing one's location. Each rank increase allows for the attempt of hamstring (with a chance to retreat back into the shadows) on 1 extra opponent with a max of 5. Roundtime increases will vary depending on the type of weapon used and the amount of opponents that the individual has attempted to attack.

So... something like that? I think having a little more crowd control for rogues who are GoS or hunt in Swarm heavy areas is needed. I do both... Let me know what you all think. :D

-Knemo
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 10:27 AM CDT
I'm all for more cool skills. This one may already be in place by using silent strike. Perhaps not with the hamstring cman but certainly with cutthroat.

Does SS work with hamstring?
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 12:06 PM CDT

It's not in place using silent strike. It would have a similar affect, but it's objective would be to take down MULTIPLE enemies, not just a single one. I'm looking for a CROWD CONTROL. If I were to jump out of the shadows a million times I'd be wasting massive amounts of stamina. My objective with this maneuver would be to use a one time heavy amount of stamina to essentially leg up to 5 critters, while being able to maintain a chance of protection of the shadows.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 01:13 PM CDT
I see what you're saying. Kind of a physical E-wave.
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 03:53 PM CDT
>Skill Name: Shadow Step

I like the idea.

Adjust the CMan point cost higher, and raise the stamina cost across the board and I think it'd balance better.

>I'm looking for a CROWD CONTROL.

While I do like the idea, I also have no problem with the amount of crowd control rogues have currently (and they do have options).

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
>Ahh, no, you are correct - QUARTZ
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 04:48 PM CDT
>I see what you're saying. Kind of a physical E-wave.

Exactly, but this would be much better for rogues all around because it isn't as hindered by armor as E-wave would be.

>I like the idea.

Adjust the CMan point cost higher, and raise the stamina cost across the board and I think it'd balance better.

What would you suggest we raise the stamina cost to? I had to take into consideration that not every race has high stamina, so my initial idea was that it should match that of silentstrike (because that's one of the most stamina heavy maneuvers that we rogues have). Second, I made it difficult to obtain (i.e. you must have met multiple prerequisites in order to use).

>While I do like the idea, I also have no problem with the amount of crowd control rogues have currently (and they do have options).

Which of the crowd control options that rogues already have would be as good as this (other than 410)?

-Knemo

Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 06:24 PM CDT
>Which of the crowd control options that rogues already have would be as good as this (other than 410)?

Bleh. That ain't very fair, ya know, pretty much saying, "What is the best way a rogue can achieve effective crowd control without actually training in the easiest and most readily available option that they have at their disposal?"

Without sounding like I don't understand the question, I'll bite. This would be an awesome CMan, and I admit, I would train in it. The main problem I see is the danger of the wording, ie. "Hamstring", as it would imply that one'd have to be pretty good at hamstring to make it work. There also tends to be an annoying tendency to require Multi-Opponent combat for attacks that strike multiple foes.

I know, I know. Shoulda been a pure or a bard.

As far as the other options go, there are a few. They might not be 'as good' on paper, but hey, they're options and some pretty decent ones at that.

Divert: It may seem counter intuitive, but being able to stand in the shadows and make the crowd smaller and smaller until only one or two targets remain 'is' crowd control.

Silent Strike: This one is a mixed bag, since it does require a lot of TP and CMP investment to really pull off... but since the last 'tweak' it is finally pretty reliable. They also made it work with subdue, which is one of the best disablers in the game (when the target can actually be hit by it, which is next to never, but I digress)... which leads us to:

Vanish: Basically every reason not to train in Silent Strike. You can instantly vanish back into hiding immediately following an attack or ambush. Yeah yeah, I know, it doesn't hit 'multiple targets', but remember. We're rogues. Not earth trembling magiwhazzits. Vanish lets you murder crowds one shot at a time while only leaving hiding for that fraction of a second it takes for the command to go through, and as long as stamina holds out.

You want to hit more than one thing at a time in a single attack? Alright, I'm listening. This one doesn't come easy, though. Bear with me.

Multi Opponent Combat: Haha... okay, moving on.

If you're an archer, I'm sorry. If you're sword and board? THW? I can only give you a nugget... but if you really want to be a murder machine in crowds, I have to give a tip of my hat to TWC. The reason(s) are as follows:

Whirling Dervish: What more can I say? With TWC you can kill two targets instantly with one ambush. Then Vanish! You can also let focused mstrikes carry on to multiple targets. Since picking up dervish I hardly ever do unfocused mstrikes anymore, especially with TWC. Because an open mstrike will just tap X amount of targets. With a focused version, the thought process is more like, "That guy is definitely going to die, that guy will probably die, and if that guy is still standing at the end of this? Vanish."

The bigger problem in the crowd control conversation I see is that we're a class that specializes in single target combat, and we are damn good at it. I just don't see them throwing in a CMan ban-aid that suddenly makes rogues crowd killers, especially those that choose NOT to take advantage of the systems already in place for whatever reason. I don't want to start up another training debate, but going into heavy armor, focusing on sword and board hide/ambush, ranged, or having the audacity of wanting to pick for that matter... are all choices. They're very fine and very viable choices, but they aren't choices that lend themselves to good crowd control. By making a few 'other' choices, on the other hand, it is very possible for a rogue to be an absolute force in crowds.

It is when I look at things from that perspective that I don't see many 'direct' crowd control CMans in our future. Not that I wouldn't like seeing them, mind you.

Just being the Devil's Advocate.

.jaired
>I'M ON A BOAT
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 07:06 PM CDT
>Bleh. That ain't very fair, ya know, pretty much saying, "What is the best way a rogue can achieve effective crowd control without actually training in the easiest and most readily available option that they have at their disposal?"

It's totally fair, because let's face it, 410 only works well for rogues who wear armor that allows for them to not have spell hindrance. Also, if this maneuver is implemented then rogues will have access to a great crowd control option that armor won't play a 'huge' affect on, because armor is cheaper for rogues to train in than MnE.

>The main problem I see is the danger of the wording.

I respect this, and I never said that this was a finished product. It needs our community input to make it stronger and to make it happen. Also, you're right about it implying "hamstring," and for me not covering that aspect. Having hamstring could be one of the prerequisites to this maneuver, and maybe in place over shadowmastery.

>You want to hit more than one thing at a time in a single attack?

No, I'm not trying to "hit more than one thing at a time in a single attack," I'm trying to make prone multiple targets in a single attack. And, I'm trying to make it appealing to those who have spent or want to spend training points in certain CMANs that apply to helping one stay hidden when attacking.

>Multi Opponent Combat: Haha... okay, moving on.

MOC is incredibly expensive for a rogue, so it's not as viable to every build, whereas CMANs are.

>The bigger problem in the crowd control conversation I see is that we're a class that specializes in single target combat, and we are damn good at it.

Since when are "[we]" a class that specializes in single target combat. You just said yourself that you use Whirling Dervish to take out multiple foes. From what I can tell you feel confident in being damn good at that (i.e. With a focused version, the thought process is more like, "That guy is definitely going to die, that guy will probably die, and if that guy is still standing at the end of this? Vanish.")

>It is when I look at things from that perspective that I don't see many 'direct' crowd control CMans in our future.

I'm not asking for many, I'm only asking for one. Also, I know you're not against it, so let's all get on board and say that we could see this one for our future, and that it's worth having. It will be 1.) Cheap in terms of training points, and 2.) Give us a better CC for swarm areas, so that we don't have to stick with the mindset of, "we're a class that specializes in single target combat."

-Knemo
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 08:33 PM CDT
>Exactly, but this would be much better for rogues all around because it isn't as hindered by armor as E-wave would be.
-Knemo

Like it or not, and that in itself is a separate discussion, rogues are designed with lighter armor in mind. The heavier armor you wear the less effective you're going to be at roguely things. Armor hindrance with 410 isn't really a very strong argument to me for it not being useful.

>What would you suggest we raise the stamina cost to? I had to take into consideration that not every race has high stamina, so my initial idea was that it should match that of silentstrike (because that's one of the most stamina heavy maneuvers that we rogues have). Second, I made it difficult to obtain (i.e. you must have met multiple prerequisites in order to use).

Each race having different stamina stats and getting more or less use out of a particular CMan (or other skill) is something I'm OK with. I simply don't think it's that difficult to obtain compared to the advantage it would give.

There are other random things I disagree with but Jaired covered it mostly, so I'll skip down to your response to him.

>Since when are "[we]" a class that specializes in single target combat.

Since the creation of the fantasy 'rogue' ideal and the reinforcement by just about every single Roleplaying scenario (live action or game). And more importantly since the game was created. Yes, there is the occasional outlier ability parceled out among those things, but the ultimate notion of a rogue is centered around stealthy, single target combat.

This isn't a new idea.

>You just said yourself that you use Whirling Dervish to take out multiple foes.

Whirling Dervish isn't activated with every attack. There's is a distinct difference between being able to take out 5 targets (cheaply), anytime you want and the (%) chance to take out two at one time.

>so that we don't have to stick with the mindset of, "we're a class that specializes in single target combat."

Rogue skill costs and professional bonuses say otherwise.

Are you willing to give allow every other profession to be just as good when it comes to hiding, sneaking and ambush?

My feeling is you would say no.

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
>Ahh, no, you are correct - QUARTZ
Re: Combat Maneuvers (CC?) - Shadow Step? 08/26/2013 11:29 PM CDT
I'm all for ideas like this, at least in that they are player driven and could make the game better. Rogues could benefit for some more crowd control too. Right now my rogue is S/B so his biggest crowd control tool is the LOOK verb TARGET and AIM along with periodic SPUNCH and SWEEP.

Something that's been bounced around a lot over the years is using sweep on more then one opponent. If we had a vote on this I'd probably vote for an idea of making sweep compatible with a multistrike capability and isn't that OP. I'd think that making a rogue specific room clearing mstrike type thing would be considered OP. MSWEEP may not be though.

The "MSWEEP" Verb -

MSWEEP is the ability to sweep multiple targets.

USAGE: MSWEEP - attacks as many targets as skill allows.
Prev_page Previous 1