question about duck and weave 07/23/2012 04:10 PM CDT
<<A 30 second boost to one's evasion chance, with lighter armor granting a higher bonus. Upon evading an attack, there is a chance that the attack can be redirected against another enemy in the same room. This redirection chance is based upon ranks in this maneuver, dodge ranks, multi-opponent combat ranks, agility and influence bonuses, and being in a more offensive stance.>>

From my brief experimentation, I noticed that duck and weave only applies to melee attacks and not to CS or bolt attacks. I would also be interested to know if it applies to ranged or thrown attacks. Since it based on evasion that may be the way it is intended to work. I would just like to confirm that one way or the other. Thanks

Wolfloner
Re: question about duck and weave 07/25/2012 04:52 PM CDT
I found the answer to one question

A human robber removes a plain wooden arrow from in his quiver.
A human robber fires a plain wooden arrow at you!
You manage to maneuver yourself such that when you dodge aside at the last moment, a human robber finds himself attacking an elven thug, much to their mutual surprise!
AS: +424 vs DS: +337 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +68 = +185
... and hits for 33 points of damage!
Nice puncture to the back, just grazed the spine!
The wooden arrow breaks apart and crumbles away.

So duck and weave definitely works against ranged attacks

Wolfloner
Re: question about duck and weave 07/26/2012 01:04 AM CDT
That is amusing.
Re: question about duck and weave 07/26/2012 07:36 AM CDT

this reminds me of one of the guild training games...can we get this as a guild benefit since its part of gambits?
Re: question about duck and weave 07/26/2012 12:57 PM CDT
There's more to it than dodging the arrow.

You are positioning yourself so that when you dodge it, another critter takes the damage.

-Marstreforn-

A kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"

A kobold swings a short sword at itself!
Blow glances off the kobold's shoulder.
The kobold blushes furiously!
Re: question about duck and weave 07/26/2012 10:55 PM CDT
Even though I will unlikely be training in this, even if it means having no martial stance, it has at least half the component of the guild training and would make sense that a master in gambits would have a bonus, even if only slight (+5).

We rogues spend a considerable amount of time dodging arrows (and hands) on our way to master gambits and it seems fitting.
Re: question about duck and weave 07/27/2012 01:15 AM CDT
Dodging Arrows is a task to advance in Stun Maneuvers.

-Marstreforn-

A kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"

A kobold swings a short sword at itself!
Blow glances off the kobold's shoulder.
The kobold blushes furiously!
Re: question about duck and weave 07/27/2012 07:35 AM CDT
gee whiz, there I go again being so old I can't remember who sent me PJ's on thrakmas and which guild trainer thought it'd be funny to shoot arrows at me. Thanks for the correction.

PS. those mastered in stun maneuvers should get a slight benefit to duck and weave (maybe just a +5) since the...blah blah blah