Make Silent Strike Aimed 07/30/2011 02:04 PM CDT
Can we get a switch to silent strike so that we can aim with it? Some people might consider that too powerful, but we pretty much already have it with vanish.

Silent Strike takes 30 points to master and costs around 20 stamina to use. Vanish takes 24 points to master and costs about 30 stamina to use immediately after an ambush (it is also extremely useful in situations other than right after an ambush). Allowing silent strike to be aimed doesn't add a mechanical benefit we can't already have and the ability to strike from the shadows instead of being able to hide immediately is much more appealing.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/01/2011 02:58 AM CDT
>Can we get a switch to silent strike so that we can aim with it? Some people might consider that too powerful, but we pretty much already have it with vanish.

An interesting point. Recent maneuver work has eroded some of silent strike's original advantage. On the other hand, it does cost less stamina and confers a secondary benefit with regard to cutthroat and subdue. Those aspects shouldn't be ignored in the comparison.

I've put it on my list of things to ponder, though I think there would have to be more changes involved than straight-up making it aimable. If anyone else has comments on the matter, I'll certainly consider them as well.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/01/2011 06:59 AM CDT
I would go the other way with the skill and simply lower its stamina cost. A more expensive version "exists", so make this one cheap enough for rogues to look for ways to incorporate the maneuver into their hunting strategies.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/01/2011 07:02 AM CDT
It might also be neat if SS conferred a status effect of "startled" or "distracted" on a successful blow. The creature becomes preoccupied with guarding itself against unseen attackers from all angles, inducing RT, or a slow-like effect.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/01/2011 08:40 AM CDT
That's a kinda neat suggestion, E. Would help alot in dealing with swarms if you can put a couple in RT (if you don't stun em with the hit, that is). I don't mind that it isn't aimed (would be a huge benefit if it was, though :))

Adding to work with Subdue has to be one of my favorite changes, though the higher the in level I get the more subdue immune critters there are.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/04/2011 04:52 AM CDT
<<Can we get a switch to silent strike so that we can aim with it? Some people might consider that too powerful, but we pretty much already have it with vanish.>>

I would agree that aimed ambush + vanish trumps silent stike. Aimed silent strike seems a reasonable request.

Silent Strike takes 30 points to master and costs around 20 stamina to use. Vanish takes 24 points to master and costs about 30 stamina to use immediately after an ambush (it is also extremely useful in situations other than right after an ambush). Allowing silent strike to be aimed doesn't add a mechanical benefit we can't already have and the ability to strike from the shadows instead of being able to hide immediately is much more appealing. >>

I would to that the high cost of Shadow mastery stamina and it's cool down.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/04/2011 05:57 AM CDT
<<An interesting point. Recent maneuver work has eroded some of silent strike's original advantage. On the other hand, it does cost less stamina and confers a secondary benefit with regard to cutthroat and subdue. Those aspects shouldn't be ignored in the comparison.>>

Silent Strike with Cutthroat or Subdue followed by an aimed ambush can be effective combinations in situations where an opponent's DS is a problem, the cost of a missed aimed ambush is severe, and the rogue does not know 410.

What I find tedious to the extreme is having to juggle combined stamina cost of Shadow Mastery and it's cool down, silent strike, subdue, and cut throat in order to use these skills just sparingly.

Make Silent Strike aimable and adjust the the stamina cost downward or make shadow mastery passive would be my input.

Thanks for pondering it.

Wolfloner

Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/04/2011 05:27 PM CDT
And please don't be lame and make an aimed silent strike cost more stamina. >.<
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/05/2011 08:42 AM CDT
Don't make it aimed, make it so that it always targets 'head' automatically
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/05/2011 09:05 AM CDT
Except some times you want to leg <one of> the creature<s> (which you are five levels higher than) so that your hunting partner (who is five levels lower than they) can learn well.

Or you want to disable them from attacking, while keeping them alive for some nefarious purpose (like liches in the Monastery, for example).

Or....
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/05/2011 08:18 PM CDT
How about, for the sake of more synergy, with ranks of shadow mastery and divert?; a panic/alert effect could be possible where nearby targets would have a chance to flee from/hunt the hidden target and move to a different room.
Re: Make Silent Strike Aimed 08/08/2011 08:42 AM CDT
Making it the, "My buddy's dead; I think he went thattaway!" maneuver?