Spell Idea: Flushing Elements 01/21/2017 05:40 PM CST

The Ranger is able to call natural elements in their area to become animated and work to flush out hidden foes of the area.

The effect mimics a 'flushing gun' or packs of animals trained to sniff and find prey. But we can adapt the idea to any foes in the area being located. If it's possible for the spell to actually cause a critter generation, I think that would make Rangers a much, much more
desirable class. Rangers are already sort of 'out there' and they in my opinion could use some polishing and sparkling touches. This would
make them a lot easier to train and some have complained there are times when it's not easy to be a Ranger and self-sufficient at the
same time. It's not the same as a companion who sniffs out one foe at a time. This spell could easily backfire by creating a swarm massive enough to challenge an over-level Ranger for the area they find a pack of whatever foes they searched for. The natural surroundings become alive with Rangerly magicks and begin to behave in ways which are augmented by certain elements- ATTUNEMENT can
change this, lores, etc. It can be random or fixed, etc. The reaction of local wildlife, their pet and the balance of the natural energies
in the area are able to cause enough irritation or distraction (and up to damage when the level and lore differentiation is high enough) for local adversaries to be provoked to come forth. If there's a critter in the other room (hopefully programmable if there's no embattled adventurer to poach from) then the critter might come to them. It would be nice if there's a real gen-factor possibility. If working with Tangleweed then the effects will be a lot worse for the revealed foes. If the spell works to reveal from hiding those who are otherwise hidden then the effect will automatically put them in a position to be ambushed instead (such as working with Camo, perhaps the spell RT is negated while Flushing Elements is active) and the critter becomes prone. It could be limited to certain amounts of use. I know if there's an experience advantage balance is at risk but Clerics have one, Wizards have mass attack spells which I used to become one of the fastest hunters in Plat (I was accused of having GM's give me mods because my character rocketed to 100). Rangers could use a boost that way. If they could keep it going while hidden and set up ambushes then I think it could become an addictive hunting utility. If generating new foes is possible then hopefully what they can do instead is try to find local critters gen'd already in rooms pretty far outside where the Ranger is and get them to go to the Ranger's room. Even if it's 12 rooms away-- that would solve a generation problem. Also that would be contained by a level match to whatever target would be flushed to them. I would think that having a pretty high level of power for the caster on this to get critters to them would be in order because it's not real useful if you have to be a bit over them to get it to work a lot, especially with a high spell cost.
I haven't looked at rangers in a while, don't even know what slots are still available but this would be a nifty spell. Also it would be a heckuva group hunting tool since swarms would be very easy to create. There might be a feature to actually trigger a spawn of many critters at once like a warcamp but instead of whatever creature is in the area. Sunfist gen's their own critters pretty much 'invasion in a bag' and I don't feel there's an upset to experience balances.
It's also a very Ranger like spell, it would be very hunterish and go with the other outdoor spells as well. I think even with Nature's Touch it would have a distinct disadvantage to work indoors. But also maybe a bonus at night and with certain moon cycles, if they pay the coders enough for that.