A new way to make money - totems 03/30/2015 04:34 PM CDT
I think every profession should have one or more ways to make money from other adventurers.

Barring resistive armor being made viable, We need something new. I have an idea.

Rangers should have the ability to make totems designed to make animals local to the area attack in mass. No only would the animals attack in mass but they would also attack in frenzy (faster, harder and tougher to kill).

The totems would be designed for specific types of animals and would have to be used in an area they are normally present. The objects would be difficult.expensive to make. The cost would scale with the level of beast. They totem would be one use only (set them on fire to activate). The totem would work by broadcasting the scent of an female in heat or whatever else drives the beast wild. The totems would be more potent based on spirit summoning and survival skills of the person making the totem and the person using the totem.

Placeholder for a something clever when I can think of something clever.
Re: A new way to make money - totems 05/03/2015 03:12 PM CDT

Problem with this. You deploy a totem in the area... generate your more powerful tougher enemies. I try to use the area for the intended level and difficulty.... and have to deal with your frenzied enemies?

Also what is the point? Are these enemies worth more experience? Is the faster spawn rate supposed to mean more skins or more kills? (If so why make them harder to kill, the bonus time to kill them would mostly negate that as a bonus.) All in all, interesting and rangerly idea of "lures" but doesn't seem very viable.

Rangers have imbeddables and resists. Neither of which sells for much I agree, but you are useful to other classes. The other problem is this is too much like 1235 for monks.

I would prefer to see something related to wooden weapons and gear for rangers. Hell, temp sighting on bows? An ironwood style effect where a wooden weapon or shield could temporarily gain a bonus. Especially with the elemental confluence and people thinking about using wood weapons to negate penalties there... Could make that an extension of imbue. (With enough ranger spell levels Tier 2 imbue unlocks and you can create special effects with wooden/natural gear.) Maybe thorns that act like armor spikes but without the penalty as they only activate re-actively.

Throwing items out there.