ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/28/2015 04:02 PM CST
This can go along with my other post in the ranger spell forum (which probably would have gone better here).

Random idea based on an old idea that's been floating around for a while:

What about an ARMOR skill that allows rangers to cast spells from hiding (which becomes more effective in lighter armors).

We'd also need a viable way to stay hidden (with other skills, or whatever) to make that sort of defense a viable one, though. Even with 2x S&H, a bunch of Blessing lore and extra ranger ranks, I'm still found fairly easily by a lot of things. If we are to make hiding a defense, we should be able to train so that it's reasonably effective.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 09:21 AM CST
I'm absolutely not opposed to the idea. However, I have to question what is finding you so easily. With 2x S&H, 60 blessing lore and 50 ranger ranks I have no problems staying hidden. The exceptions are things like griffins or grimswarm guards.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 10:48 AM CST
> However, I have to question what is finding you so easily. With 2x S&H, 60 blessing lore and 50 ranger ranks I have no problems staying hidden. The exceptions are things like griffins or grimswarm guards.

Unfortunately, creature perception in GS is seemingly black and white. Creatures either have no chance of finding you, or find you most/all of the time. Almost never do I feel like I'm in the margin for remaining hidden.

I don't play a rogue who uses hiding as a primary defense, so I can't speak from experience how viable the extra training they can do is, but as I have read on the forums, it seems to be more reasonably viable for them than for us.

What I'm truly interested in, whether it's done through stealth abilities like rogue's have or some other way, is getting rangers a reason to wear lighter armor. Perhaps incentives can be placed on our spells to work more effectively with lighter armor.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 10:54 AM CST
I should add that while I'm saying hidden I'm in brig.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 11:25 AM CST
>I should add that while I'm saying hidden I'm in brig.

They never to my knowledge implemented Warden's ideas about making it harder to hide/remain hidden in heavier armor.

Instead, they incentivized rogue's with new abilities to make light armor more attractive. Rangers, unfortunately, weren't included in any of these improvements.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 12:47 PM CST
I wonder if the maneuver hindrance factors into the hidden roll somehow already.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/30/2015 04:09 PM CST

>>What I'm truly interested in, whether it's done through stealth abilities like rogue's have or some other way, is getting rangers a reason to wear lighter armor. Perhaps incentives can be placed on our spells to work more effectively with lighter armor.

I know the OP was shooting for something that the ranger wouldn't need to rely on anyone else, there is the option of getting the 4 hour armor buff from a rogue. I don't know the statistics of how many rogues go for evasion or stealth or even how many capped rogues are able to offer you the full rank 5 version (140 ranks for rank 4, and a full 200 for rank 5).
Re: ARMOR Suggestion for Rangers 01/31/2015 10:23 PM CST
My rogue went for evasion, but stealth was definitely a consideration. There are some things I can marginally hide on with 2.5x stalking and hiding in brig armor. Stone mastiffs come to mind. And occasionally even fairly blind creatures will see her hide. She's wearing brigandine right now, but is a bit over-trained for that armor. (56 ranks so far).

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."