Prev_page Previous 1
animal companions 05/30/2013 06:42 PM CDT

I think it would be neat if a ranger could "follow" their companion when tracking someone.
Re: animal companions 05/31/2013 01:37 PM CDT

That was one of my wish list items for guild skills we would be er get. I always liked that idea.
Re: animal companions 06/29/2013 12:58 PM CDT
>I think it would be neat if a ranger could "follow" their companion when tracking someone.

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell down the well?
Re: animal companions 08/02/2014 02:02 PM CDT
I think it would be great if a ranger could tell their companion to drag them when dead (feline/canine).

Not sure if this was ever talked about. If it was, and shot down, then I think its worth talking about again. ;)

The follow idea is great too.
Re: animal companions 08/03/2014 08:54 PM CDT

Many times, and I dont know if any official answer has ever been given other then coding. I think most all rangers agree that if we are bonded to them, taste what they taste, etc that they would feel the need to drag us at least to a main trail or main place in town.

Although it would have to be toggled, so the companion doesnt drag you off while your being aided.Rodents and Birds should be able to send a message to someone or urge someone to follow them to the body.
Re: animal companions 08/06/2014 01:49 AM CDT

I would really just like a flag to turn off the ambient messaging, sometimes the companions can be extremely fidgety.

but having a companion deliver a death message would be up there on the list as well or drag a few rooms wouldn't hurt.

having DR like tracking to the companion would be even better.

I know this is an old dangerously rickety script, but there has to be some room for improvement.
Re: animal companions 08/06/2014 07:01 AM CDT
<I would really just like a flag to turn off the ambient messaging, sometimes the companions can be extremely fidgety.

You can use TELL COMPANION TO CEASE

This makes your companion completely still and stops all ambient messaging. Just remember to use TELL COMPANION TO RETURN after you leave the room.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq
Re: animal companions 08/06/2014 08:40 AM CDT

There was some talks about changing the ambient messages a bit but no idea where that is. I assume its still in talking stage. I dont mind the ambient meassage more then I wish we could have them changed based on factors like the status of that animal companion and the ranger if we are hunting or resting inside the town the demeanor settings toward the target of the message etc.
Re: animal companions 08/08/2014 03:50 PM CDT

<I would really just like a flag to turn off the ambient messaging, sometimes the companions can be extremely fidgety.
You can use TELL COMPANION TO CEASE
This makes your companion completely still and stops all ambient messaging. Just remember to use TELL COMPANION TO RETURN after you leave the room.
Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard

Yes, this method works...I was really hoping for one a bit less clunky, click it and forget it type of thing.
It isn't that I mind the messaging so much, most of the time, though as mentioned above some of it seems a bit odd for some companions. It is the frequency, right now my story box looks like this.

A jet black raven swoops low overhead, crying out loudly.
H>
xxx just left.
H>
xxx [Global]: "Caint."
H>
Hot ash drifts upward above the flames, falling back to the earth like tiny orange glowing stars.
H>
A jet black raven beats his wings briefly and soars upward.
H>
A jet black raven soars high overhead.
H>
A jet black raven suddenly releases an ear-piercing shriek!
H>
A jet black raven squawks and turns to avoid a harrying swallow.
H>
A jet black raven suddenly releases an ear-piercing shriek!
H>
A jet black raven circles lazily in the air.
H>
A diving raven cuts away at the last second, gliding just a few feet above the ground with outstretched wings!
H>
Roaring flames rise up from the circle of stones as a passing sprite stokes the fire.

Notice in the time the ambient room messaging fired off twice the companion messaging went off seven times, it just feels a bit much. Especially during rp events where you have multiple companions in the same area.
Re: animal companions 08/09/2014 08:12 PM CDT

It is in one of the threads, and suggestions were asked to be made via email to the gm. I am not sure if anyone ever responded, but the Simucon live feed has been a great source of getting answers that are definitive. There is a link for this weekend, all weekend at night posted by Kenstrom.
Re: animal companions 08/10/2014 09:40 AM CDT

Was there any talk of rangers this weekend?
Re: animal companions 08/10/2014 12:58 PM CDT

Was there any talk of rangers this weekend?

Talk of Rangers, at least as far as we could see on the live feed, was about like GM interaction on the ranger thread here. Nonexistent and/or depressing.

The very few questions that were answered on that topic leaned towards 'everything is fine'. For instance someone asked if Companions could be made useful, the reply was they are useful. That was pretty much the tone on ranger related questions. Someone asked if there would be a ranger guild, the answer was a pretty firm no, or at least not in your lifetime. Just because they are moving away from guild things in general...(then somehow alchemy gets brought up and it is all cool)

Rangers are a good class, they are viable, but they have not seen any tweaks in a while and have been left out of all the CMAN and SMAN updates.

604 could probably use a duration buff, spending 40 mana to get 10 minutes of skinning time is a bit odd, unless this is an intentional mana dump for the class.
612 was tweaked recently (one of two very minor tweaks in the last four years) and I like those new changes, they are good
614 I wish 614 didn't kill me, but meh...magic can be unpredictable

620- This is a spell that I feel needs to be looked at, the mechanics are clunkier than just about every other item upgrade system currently going, the restrictions are pretty extreme as far as armor classes go, I feel like this spell could use a self cast version similar to ensorcel that makes it useful to all Rangers and not just those in leather (and I am in leather) or maybe a temp self cast version of some kind that effects the caster and not the armor. I am not even suggesting this spell becomes a silver maker, just that it has more use for the ranger than it currently has, if not the larger player population. You really have to train your ranger in a very narrow path to get the most out of this spell, and the most I see it used is on very high end pure gear.

630- apparently those who play rangers, and those in the design team have a very different understanding of this spell. One of the GM's in the hitbox chat when companion usability was brought up mentions avian messaging and canine dragging...a global amunet (not to mention lich) are both superior to avian messaging that is restricted in where it can deliver to. Companion tracking is a joke..(somewhere in north america)...but I firmly believe this code is so esoteric that this spell will never be touched. I don't mind them being an RP prop, I just wish it was understood that is what they are.

650 could definitely be looked at vs CMAN's that have been released since the last update and the cost vs benefit calculations would appear to need to be addressed.

I could come up with instances where all of the above spells have proven useful, yes there was one time my owl saved my from a bandit, yes one time I used 650 to make the Ta'vaalor short cut easier or quick raise my hp with bear...but I have probably been saved more by open rolls than my companion, and mechanically it is inferior to just about any outside spell I could get. Yes there is some Kaedra armors that use 620 to great effect, but lets face it...those are normally done by a pocket ranger retooled just to do armor and cast colors and mobility.
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 10:06 AM CDT
>604 could probably use a duration buff, spending 40 mana to get 10 minutes of skinning time is a bit odd, unless this is an intentional mana dump for the class.

Are you trying to stack the duration before you go out to hunt? If so, try just casting it as you need it. I don't ever recall not having the mana to cast 604 during a hunt at any level.

>612 was tweaked recently (one of two very minor tweaks in the last four years) and I like those new changes, they are good

Remind me how this was changed in the last four years, please? I can't think of any changes since the changes that came with the spell lore inclusions.

>614 I wish 614 didn't kill me, but meh...magic can be unpredictable

It'll stop pretty quickly.

>620- This is a spell that I feel needs to be looked at, the mechanics are clunkier than just about every other item upgrade system currently going, the restrictions are pretty extreme as far as armor classes go, I feel like this spell could use a self cast version similar to ensorcel that makes it useful to all Rangers and not just those in leather (and I am in leather) or maybe a temp self cast version of some kind that effects the caster and not the armor. I am not even suggesting this spell becomes a silver maker, just that it has more use for the ranger than it currently has, if not the larger player population. You really have to train your ranger in a very narrow path to get the most out of this spell, and the most I see it used is on very high end pure gear.

I think the problem here is that it's just not very attractive for most rangers to stay in AG3 or less armor. 620 can be extremely powerful (even w/o extreme training), but it was never something that kept me in lighter armor.

>630- apparently those who play rangers, and those in the design team have a very different understanding of this spell. One of the GM's in the hitbox chat when companion usability was brought up mentions avian messaging and canine dragging...a global amunet (not to mention lich) are both superior to avian messaging that is restricted in where it can deliver to. Companion tracking is a joke..(somewhere in north america)...but I firmly believe this code is so esoteric that this spell will never be touched. I don't mind them being an RP prop, I just wish it was understood that is what they are.

I don't imagine we'll ever get much of an upgrade here. If it makes you feel better, pretty much every profession complains that their "familiar" spell doesn't do enough/isn't very useful. I don't think we'll ever get any mechanical buffs here, but I figure if we keep bitching, we can get the rest eventually.

>650 could definitely be looked at vs CMAN's that have been released since the last update and the cost vs benefit calculations would appear to need to be addressed.

You get a lot for this spell. For a few mana, you can temporarily max out stats, which is pretty crazy, not to mention the myriad utility qualities of the spell. This is by far, the best 50th level spell in the game.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 12:13 PM CDT
612 no longer affects weapons, arrows included, so they don't get scattered three sheets to the winds if you use it. A great boon for warcampers but also useful for other folks as well.
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 02:59 PM CDT

>Are you trying to stack the duration before you go out to hunt? If so, try just casting it as you need it. I don't ever recall not having the mana to cast 604 during a hunt at any level.

604 doesn't seem as odd when you compare it to some of the other x04's with the same mechanics, this just happens to be a mechanic I use often enough that I see repeated "failed to cast correctly" messaging at 6% failure chance, I tend to just front load it with 120 mana before a hunt. A bit clunky.

>Remind me how this (612) was changed in the last four years, please? I can't think of any changes since the changes that came with the spell lore inclusions.

The arrow thing mentioned above...and I believe there was a lore related change for immobilization or some such.

>It'll stop pretty quickly.
You mean it stops when I die? Yes...yes it does.

>I think the problem here is that it's just not very attractive for most rangers to stay in AG3 or less armor. 620 can be extremely powerful (even w/o extreme training), but it was never something that kept me in lighter armor.

Yes...that is...pretty much what I am saying. The classes I see use this the most, on the upper end, are pures and not rangers. This spell really needs to be tweaked so that Rangers can get a self benefit out of it. All rangers, not just those of us who stay in Brig.

>I don't imagine we'll ever get much of an upgrade here. If it makes you feel better, pretty much every profession complains that their "familiar" spell doesn't do enough/isn't very useful. I don't think we'll ever get any mechanical buffs here, but I figure if we keep bitching, we can get the rest eventually.

yep....that is pretty much how I feel about it as well. This is what it is and it isn't going to change, and I am not sure they could change it if they wanted to, I would love a track to familiar ability though as in DR or a better locate but...well it is what it is....I do wish I could have a mute but following button though...

>You get a lot for this spell. For a few mana, you can temporarily max out stats, which is pretty crazy, not to mention the myriad utility qualities of the spell. This is by far, the best 50th level spell in the game.

I think this may have a lot to do with the fact that there isn't a lot of 50th level spells in the game.... the cost vs benefit on a lot of the forms are extreme compared to say... Martial Stances, it could be argued this is a spell for post cap only players (and I have heard it for post 75-80) but meh...I am not the first person to bring this up...in fact there are several other threads by other people about this spell.
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 04:18 PM CDT
<I think this may have a lot to do with the fact that there isn't a lot of 50th level spells in the game.... the cost vs benefit on a lot of the forms are extreme compared to say... Martial Stances, it could be argued this is a spell for post cap only players (and I have heard it for post 75-80) but meh...I am not the first person to bring this up...in fact there are several other threads by other people about this spell.

Interesting that you mention this. I never used this spell until after I capped. Now I use it on a permanent basis when I hunt. I never really noticed that until you brought this up.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 05:25 PM CDT
>... it could be argued this is a spell for post cap only players (and I have heard it for post 75-80) but meh...I am not the first person to bring this up...in fact there are several other threads by other people about this spell.

I hardly ever use it for hunting (+15 AS from Lion/Wolf was never going to make or break my hunt at any level). In fact, it was never intended as a spell for rangers to maintain at all times during their hunts. You can, but obviously it's going to restrict your mana usage. In terms of hunting, I use it when I need a little help with something (e.g. Owl for extra CS/TD when I'm running up against high level invasions, "boss" creatures, or when I need to mow down giant OTF swarms).

As for people bringing the cost of this spell up -- people have had this same complaint since the day of its release. I feel like people think, "It takes 50 (+25/2min) mana to make my AS go up only 15 for 2 minutes????? OMGNOFAIR!" The spell is far more versatile than that. I mean, it gives you free experience for heaven's sake.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/11/2014 10:49 PM CDT

The live feed was a bit difficult at times. but one or two points were made clear

1. There will be no future development on the ranger guild as ranger skills through the a guild are outdated. and I took it to mean obsolete.

2. Companion mood messages are not off the table but major modifications to the system are unlikely

3. There will be no bears
Re: animal companions 08/13/2014 01:57 PM CDT

If they are not going to fix the ranger guild, why not just make it free and open to all rangers?

Not that 1000 silvers is a lot at almost any level, but it is annoying having that reminder pop up, or not playing for 4 months and coming back with just one chance to pay it before getting kicked out.
Re: animal companions 08/13/2014 05:13 PM CDT
>If they are not going to fix the ranger guild, why not just make it free and open to all rangers?

It's already open to all rangers regardless of membership. You just can't be a "member" unless you pay the guild dues.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/13/2014 09:13 PM CDT

>If they are not going to fix the ranger guild, why not just make it free and open to all rangers?
It's already open to all rangers regardless of membership. You just can't be a "member" unless you pay the guild dues.

Unless you joined and get kicked out.
Re: animal companions 08/14/2014 10:36 AM CDT
>Unless you joined and get kicked out.

You can still get in. Give it a shot. Tons of us were kicked out.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/15/2014 07:52 PM CDT
>620- This is a spell that I feel needs to be looked at, the mechanics are clunkier than just about every other item upgrade system currently going, the restrictions are pretty extreme as far as armor classes go, I feel like this spell could use a self cast version similar to ensorcel that makes it useful to all Rangers and not just those in leather (and I am in leather) or maybe a temp self cast version of some kind that effects the caster and not the armor.

I just want to say that this is a great idea. There should be a temporary, personal version of 620 (a la 735) that allows a ranger to gain some benefit from the spell regardless of AsG.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: animal companions 08/16/2014 04:47 AM CDT

Rather than make chain even more attractive, the temporary personal effect should be such that the ranger wants to be in leather.

Which effect of chain makes it particularly desirable? Allow 720 to duplicate that on brig.
Re: animal companions 08/16/2014 12:01 PM CDT
>Which effect of chain makes it particularly desirable?

Pretty much the CvA and the damage reduction. I would wear doubles if I could have the CvA of hauberk. I really, really hate hinderance, but not enough to let myself be suspectible to CS attacks (and I'm way too lazy to go make tons of imbeds, cause blech).

Though personally, I have no use for 620. I've imbued others' armors, and those of my lower level alts when it can help, but that's about it.

FYI, if anyone DOES want some decent resistances, I can imbue heavily padded armors with 52.5% (pretty much turn everything into minor wounds). Since Regyy doesn't appear to be around anymore, I don't think there's anyone with a bunch of SL:B training out there.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/16/2014 12:45 PM CDT
Ziayiel is trained for this as well and has done resistance work for several of my characters.

-- Robert
Re: animal companions 08/17/2014 05:55 PM CDT

Well at least we all can agree on 620 anyway.
Re: animal companions 08/17/2014 08:11 PM CDT
>>I think the problem here is that it's just not very attractive for most rangers to stay in AG3 or less armor. 620 can be extremely powerful (even w/o extreme training), but it was never something that kept me in lighter armor.

Postcap ranger here, wearing double leathers, and I don't bother using the spell... there's just not much at postcap that'll kill me with an elemental attack. Sentries and I think some stuff in the Demonwall cast Dark Catalyst, but you can really only help yourself with 1 of those four elements. If anything it's a lucky charge or crawler burrowing that one shots me. I suppose I should toss fire or cold on my armor just because I can, but I doubt I'll notice it much.
Re: animal companions 08/18/2014 11:19 AM CDT
>Sentries and I think some stuff in the Demonwall cast Dark Catalyst, but you can really only help yourself with 1 of those four elements.

Some of the stuff, including the 120 creature (I forget what it's called already) casts Immolation. Fire would help ya there.

>Postcap ranger here, wearing double leathers

Mind me asking why you're wearing doubles? Is it just for the lack of armor hinderance? Got a rogue nearby with 5 ranks of Armored Stealth?

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/19/2014 02:52 AM CDT
>Mind me asking why you're wearing doubles? Is it just for the lack of armor hinderance? Got a rogue nearby with 5 ranks of Armored Stealth?

Don't hide so it's just for the lack of hinderance. I wouldn't mind the extra CvA and crit divisors of heavier armors, but I mostly get away with wearing doubles so I'm happy with it.
Re: animal companions 08/19/2014 08:02 AM CDT

Don't hide so it's just for the lack of hinderance. I wouldn't mind the extra CvA and crit divisors of heavier armors, but I mostly get away with wearing doubles so I'm happy with it.

I remember a long time ago I had three neck crits in one night which sold me on moving to brig. I moved to chain haubek about 95 trains and it was thanks to the storyline invasions and hunting warcamps. Hate the spell hindrance but its worth the other perks. I also didnt move to chain haubek until I was overtrained to the first tier.
Re: animal companions 08/19/2014 08:43 AM CDT
Only one 'E' in 'hindrance'.

Also one 'R' in 'hauberk'.

This post brought to you by Krakii, the Only Licensed Spleling Correction Service in Elanthia!

(And yes, "spleling" is deliberate just to tweak you. :)
Re: animal companions 08/19/2014 03:26 PM CDT
<<KRAKII's post

Grammer nazi...

~EC

(Yes, I did that on porpoise.)
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 04:25 AM CDT

>>I remember a long time ago I had three neck crits in one night which sold me on moving to brig. I moved to chain haubek about 95 trains and it was thanks to the storyline invasions and hunting warcamps. Hate the spell hindrance but its worth the other perks. I also didnt move to chain haubek until I was overtrained to the first tier.

I did get a neck crit from a bandit lately... first time that's happened in awhile. Any particular reason to go for hauberk over, say, chain mail? I think, in my theorycrafting, if I was gonna go into anything that has hindrance, I'd do chain mail - 7% hindrance instead of 11%, and you only get 3 less CvA than hauberk. Of course, you only get the hauberk-style crit divisor on your torso. Granted, I have some enhancives that are armor accessories so that kind of throws a hole in those plans...
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 10:15 AM CDT
>I did get a neck crit from a bandit lately... first time that's happened in awhile. Any particular reason to go for hauberk over, say, chain mail? I think, in my theorycrafting, if I was gonna go into anything that has hindrance, I'd do chain mail - 7% hindrance instead of 11%, and you only get 3 less CvA than hauberk. Of course, you only get the hauberk-style crit divisor on your torso. Granted, I have some enhancives that are armor accessories so that kind of throws a hole in those plans...

Try chain. See what that does for you. You may not need the extra protection anymore on the head (though like the other poster, that's what pushed me into full coverage way back). If you continued training in armor, you will likely have hit one or two of the over-training thresholds as well.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 10:31 AM CDT
Just switching up to chainmail should help, because generally speaking you will take weaker crits to the neck. (True, the divisor is still 7hp/rank rather than 9hp/rank as you would see with hauberk/neck coverage... but the DF works to your advantage before that ever becomes relevant. They'll be doing less raw HP damage to inflict a crit, with.)

And it is much easier to train away the penalties. :)
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 12:43 PM CDT

I have had chain haubek (spelling...heh) for about a year now. I had aug chain in the locker I wasnt using and had a straight trade for the haubek so it was more of a timing thing on why I picked it over mail. To be honest with the heavy invasions and crazy warcamps I did better overall in haubek then when I used brig or aug chain. Pup also heavily relies on his spells in battle and so far mayne once or twice did hindrence directly cause a death.
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 12:53 PM CDT
Rad wears Aug chain with a helm. When he's fighting things that don't give him much trouble the helm gets put aside for the 2% lower hindrance. If they're tough the helm gets worn.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 01:24 PM CDT
One thing I like about aug chain (from a post-cap perspective) is that the Armor Use overtraining thresholds are nice and rounded on the 50. If you fully 2x Armor Use, your action penalty in aug chain will be -8 versus hauberk's -12. Yes, that seems pretty marginal, but action penalty plays a huge roll in all sorts of mechanics and every point you can reduce helps.

Also, 11% hindrance feels like 22% hindrance. =P

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: animal companions 08/20/2014 01:31 PM CDT
<Also, 11% hindrance feels like 22% hindrance. =P

A few weeks ago I blew 7 casts of spike in a row, one right after the other, due to that 11% hindrance. I was NOT a happy camper

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Prev_page Previous 1