How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 04:37 PM CDT
Curious as to how many paladins actually train to 1640 (for raising and not just CS) and what the possibility of getting that replaced with something more combat focused?
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 04:55 PM CDT
I doubt it will get changed. Honestly, the spell isn't bad but given my own personal experience.. nobody ever wants it because they a cleric with a chrism. Other paladins have successful stories where people aren't as picky and will take the raise. I think it was mostly created to give paladins the ability to raise since many of them were complaining after converting over from a cleric (No, I was not one of them).

That said, think up of a good 50th spell.. many ideas were suggested. I'm only afraid if a 50th spell does come and is a defining spell that says "I am a paladin" that I'll have to find another way to make two weapon combat work for me or just go back to two handed weapons since it would really be impossible at that point with how expensive it already is (even as capped).

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 05:01 PM CDT

The old 1640 was just a gimped cleric raise but the updated spell was quite well designed imo and provides some niche utility.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 05:17 PM CDT
I trained 1640 early on (before 120) and use it. I prefer it over the cleric version in some cases (e.g. Rift rescues on plane 5).

I would not want to see it go away!

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 06:35 PM CDT
Good point on plane 5 and places where getting the body back to safety is a relative hassle.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 08:35 PM CDT
Paladins can use chrisms too if you can get a friendly cleric to make ya some. I have 1640 and use it at least once or twice a week.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 08:49 PM CDT
>> Paladins can use chrisms too if you can get a friendly cleric to make ya some. I have 1640 and use it at least once or twice a week.

??! I thought I had tested that in the past and was not able to use a chrism as a paladin...

...I'll retest again next chance I get!

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 08:54 PM CDT
Hmmm, double checked the wiki and it says only clerics can use them to benefit corpses. I could have sworn I've used one before but probably mistaken.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 09:04 PM CDT
I too thought chrisms were exclusive to clerics. Either way, I can see a need for 1640 in Plat ... we have so few active clerics.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 10:03 PM CDT
I converted my warrior to a paladin for 1640, quite shortly before the release of monks.

Another paladin I know in game (I don't talk to very many) was advised not to train 1640 by another character against my own advice, and later regretted that decision (partly because the person advising him wore lower armor class and he and I do, the the TD gain from 120 was not very relevant).

As has been said, the old Divine Word was pretty weak, but the new one is really good. The problem is the player base not knowing about the new Divine Word and how to make use of it. Its as good as or better than a cleric raise in a lot of situations (for instance, finishing your culling bounty quickly and getting a new bounty).

Considering that Divine Word is the ideal field raise, I claim it in fact is combat focused in a certain respect. It will never be "replaced" but of course there's 1650 to think about as was also stated!

If more paladins indeed learned 1640, and started educating people on how it works, the popularity of Divine Word would go up I bet.

You can use my ;1640rant script in lich (or copy and make your own script from gswiki if you don't use lich) to help educate people :D
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 10:43 PM CDT

I got a 1640 raise the other week and it was great. Way underrated.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/09/2017 11:56 PM CDT
My paladin just got 1640 recently, at level 57. I went up to 1630 first, then 120, and then up to 1640, overtraining a bit at the end to get there after a friend died on Rivers Rest and needed a raise that I could not do. I think that is likely to be the end of my spell training for a while.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/10/2017 12:52 AM CDT
I don't intend to train my level 83 paladin to 1640 for a very long time, if ever. Partly that's because I could just run Leafi out and do a cleric raise instead, but also because I'd rather not take a hit to redux for the sake of a spell that's only good in niche situations and that most people wouldn't even want me to cast anyway.

I don't want it to be replaced, though. Right now it might be a niche spell, but it's probably only two or three new hunting grounds away from being widely respected.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/10/2017 07:02 AM CDT
1640 was the last spell I trained in at cap. I went with 140 before 1640. As people have said the old version needed work, it got work, and now it's pretty good. I view it as a field raise kind of spell. Get the corpse up and running and ready to fight straight away.

It's a great spell actually. Hate to see it go. 1650 does need to be filled however.

Chad, player of a few
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/10/2017 08:18 AM CDT
I could count the number of times I use 1640 per year on one hand (sometimes one finger). Raising is simply not important to my character. If it was in a circle separate from our other spells rank based requirements, I'd never have trained in it.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: How many paladins train to 1640? 06/10/2017 08:27 AM CDT
1640 is a great spell.

The problems around it are more change management than anything else. It's so ingrained in peoples' minds that after you die you go back to town an rest up, that they generally won't go back out and hunt right after 1640 even when they absolutely can and should.