Divine Shield needs to add to parry % 11/16/2016 04:07 PM CST
I recently changed from sword and board to polearm and think it would be a nice change to allow divine shield to add to parry % if you are using a weapon that allows you to parry when not holding a shield.

I'm sure there are other paladins that aren't able to benefit from divine shield and don't use zealot due to the heavy DS penalty and forced offensive stance.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Divine Shield needs to add to parry % 11/17/2016 08:23 AM CST
agred. Just fyi: This isn't the first time we've asked, but with more of us asking then perhaps there will be a chance.

:-)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Divine Shield needs to add to parry % 11/17/2016 10:32 AM CST
It would be nice for TWC paladins as well.

You don't see my paladin running around with some sissy shield out, no sir!

Or it would be nice to have a Parry Mastery type cman available to Paladins that only applies to two-handed polearms (none of that one-handed polearm junk), THW and TWC, but with slightly reduced % and slightly increased cost. Paladins aren't as weapon savvy as a warrior, so a reduced version would been welcomed by my TWC paladin.

First 2 ranks gives 3% increased Parry chance and third rank gives 4%. Total of 10% at rank 3.
Rank 1 = 5 points
Rank 2 = 10 points
Rank 3 = 15 points

30 CM ranks to max for 10% Parry chance increase. I think it would be a decent trade-off. The parry increase only works with two-handed weapons (with the off hand open) and when you are fully trained in TWC and are holding a weapon in your right and left hand - once the left hand is open or holds something other than a weapon (shield/gem/box/etc) then parry increase goes away. Not sure how easy it would be code based on what weapon(s) you are trained for and holding....

Anyway, it would give my Paladin something else to put his CM points into since he doesn't learn CMAN SBASH or SCHARGE...not to mention he's missing out on the Shield Specialization skills as well.

-Drumpel
Re: Divine Shield needs to add to parry % 01/07/2017 03:57 PM CST
Personally, I think 1609 should give some parry bonus, but as much as using a shield. Sword/board is dreary enough hunting; the spell system should favor it as the best defensive build. I suggest:

If cast by a paladin without a shield, have 1609 it give 1/3 the block bonus to the caster as a parry bonus. (I believe 1/2 or more means a TWC paladin would have equal or greater benefit than a shield-user, but I'm not 100% on how TWC parry works and if there's a parry penalty on the off-hand or not.)

If cast by a paladin with a shield, have it give 1/3 the block bonus to group members without a shield as a parry bonus, and 1/2 the block bonus to grouped paladins without a shield as a parry bonus.

That said, I can imagine implementing "with a shield/without a shield" might get dicey, especially if you don't want to have the overhead of checking the character's equipment status on every attack, or have to code around people try to game the system by casting with a shield out and then stowing it or something. But it's an idea.

>Anyway, [Lesser Parry Mastery] would give my Paladin something else to put his CM points into since he doesn't learn CMAN SBASH or SCHARGE...not to mention he's missing out on the Shield Specialization skills as well.

I don't think many shield paladins are putting their CM points in to SBASH/SCHARGE. Those skills are also available through SHIELD points.

Shield users would be just as quick to train lesser parry mastery. And honestly, I think Rogues and Monks should get a whack at a parry bonus before Paladins; Paladins have their defenses, offenses, skills, and spells open up like crazy post-cap as-is. If it's not available to all squares for design or balance reasons, then it should probably stay Warrior-only short of a really convincing argument (which I don't have).

Putting a parry bonus on 1609 instead makes it temporary against dispellers and doesn't give a parry bonus would be active during Zealot. It'd be a more limited improvement, which makes it an iota more likely to actually get implemented.