Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/11/2015 12:26 AM CDT
It would be wonderful if the spell was able to be cast at a single target. This mechanic would look similar to the implementation of Sonic Disruption. That is to say, with 10 ranks of Spiritual Lore: Religion, Aura of the Arkati is now able to be cast on a single target. However, the lore effects of the spell would lag behind open casts by 10 ranks. Thus, it would require 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore: Religion to max the percentage DS reduction. The cost for this single-target ability would be 5 mana.

The major byproduct of this change would be to allow Paladins to INFUSE Aura of the Arkati into the Sanctified weapon of the Paladin thereby increasing the viable spells able to be infused to 3 (i.e., 1602, 1614, 1615).

Thoughts?
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/11/2015 06:22 AM CDT
Basically a pretty cool idea. I really like with modern spells how lore can unlock different versions (e.g. Web 118, Hand of Tonis 505, etc).

>The cost for this single-target ability would be 5 mana.

I'd think 7 mana, only since it's a multiple of of 14. Web bolt uses a similar divide by half for the bolting version (although the analogy is not perfect, of course).

>The major byproduct of this change would be to allow Paladins to INFUSE Aura of the Arkati into the Sanctified weapon of the Paladin thereby increasing the viable spells able to be infused to 3 (i.e., 1602, 1614, 1615).

I imagined this was part of the motivation at the outset, and it's a nice idea to be sure! I wonder if it really works that way, though. Using again web as the example, has any paladin tested infusing Web? My paladin doesn't presently have the necessary MnS training (tsk tsk tsk!), although he has enough summoning ranks to have already unlocked web bolt once he learned 120 (cough cough I mean 118!). I'm actually not sure at all how this works, so I don't know if my guessing is at all constructive. But I'm guessing maybe if you were in offensive it casts the bolt version from infusion, but uses 1 full charge (i.e. 18 mana). If this is in fact the case (rather than having it depend on what stance the paladin is in during infusion rather than attacking), then this trick won't change the situation with 1614, will it?

In any case, I did always think it was a bit of a shame that infusing spells has so few options outside of scroll usage. You mention the obvious two (1602, 1615), but of course there are a few in the MnS that in theory can be used: 110, 111, 118, and 119. (I'm assuming 125 doesn't work, but really, who would do that?) 110 and 118 warding versions will generally suffer from paladins having a low MnS CS (even 1612 can't help enough here I don't think, although targeted warding web does have the -25 TD pushdown). Bolts of fire or web are just kind of ridiculous (okay, I admit, I ever thought of training my paladin in spell aiming for certain RP reasons but, let's not take this too seriously). So from that list then, I would at least like to modify your list to include Spiritual Dispel. As I said, I don't have the MnS to test yet, but I do have 40 ranks of summoning lore, and my calculation shows only 35 summoning ranks are needed to infuse 119 once the spell is learned. I expected infusing 119 could potentially be a very good tactic against certain kinds of creatures (I'm thinking of you, Citadel heralds!!).

Hopefully a general discussion of infusing weapons is on topic with your thread.

Another question which can be raised is if there is really a reason we cannot infuse 1614 just as-is. With 189 summoning ranks, I guess Judgment would then also be allowed in principle (if AoE spells become okay) as well as the new 1608 (with no lore training required). Personally, I think even as AoE spells, there isn't a really obvious reason to prohibit infusion. They are native spells and only several charges can be loaded at a time, which doesn't seem overpowering to me. 1614 before an mstrike could be quite nice!

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/11/2015 01:11 PM CDT
>Using again web as the example, has any paladin tested infusing Web? My paladin doesn't presently have the necessary MnS training (tsk tsk tsk!), although he has enough summoning ranks to have already unlocked web bolt once he learned 120 (cough cough I mean 118!). I'm actually not sure at all how this works, so I don't know if my guessing is at all constructive. But I'm guessing maybe if you were in offensive it casts the bolt version from infusion, but uses 1 full charge (i.e. 18 mana). If this is in fact the case (rather than having it depend on what stance the paladin is in during infusion rather than attacking), then this trick won't change the situation with 1614, will it?

With 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore: Summoning, I put 4 charges of Web into my weapon. It appears only the TD version is cast.

You beseech your steel spikestar, causing violet flames to spring to life around it!
>
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
As you attempt to strike with your steel spikestar, it sends a surge of power through you that quickly leaps out at the minotaur!
Cloudy wisps swirl about a lesser minotaur.
CS: +307 - TD: +230 + CvA: +8 + d100: +67 == +152
Warding failed!
The wisps solidify into thick strands of webbing that tighten about his body!
You swing a perfect steel spikestar at a lesser minotaur!
AS: +404 vs DS: +213 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +60 = +282
... and hit for 91 points of damage!
Strong strike, punctures lung!
The lesser minotaur is stunned!
Roundtime: 6 sec.

Insofar as the Infusion aspect of Sanctify is concerned, I consider it a profession-defining ability. While it is not necessary, I like profession-defining abilities to incorporate all possible lores when applicable. This forces the player to make, potentially, hard choices. In this case, I would have liked to have seen the player make choices on lore, not just between spells, but within a single spell. Example:
(1) Update maximum infused mana TO Spiritual Mana Control FROM SL:S
(2) Keep SL:S to determine max spell level able to be infused.
(3) Create at Rank 2 spiritual bond, CS truehand effect of +5d100 per rank.
(5) Create SL:R to increase the Rank 2 CS truehand effect at a rate of +2d100 CS per Seed 1.
(6) Create SL:B to have a chance the mana for the spell is not expended at a rate of 3% per Seed 5 a la 117 lore implementation.
(7) Create SL:S to reduce the RT necessary for infusing by 1 RT per 10 ranks; min 3 RT.

With this paradigm, you get the following:
LoreBenefit
BlessingMana Utility
ReligionCS Consistency
SummoningSpell Availability & Infuse Speed

I dunno, this seems pretty OP, but the numbers could obviously be tweaked.

As an aside, I would have liked to have seen Champion's Might have a more diverse benefit than ye olde CS booster, necessitating the Paladin TD of creatures be raised by a similar amount. Seems like a dead spell-slot to be honest, except for those other-Paladin Spiritualist or Hybrid-Spiritualists using it to boost their CS. Maybe while Champion's Might is active CS spells cast by the Paladin have the chance to have Consecrate flares like flaring runestaffs. Or maybe a lore provides a true-hand effect for Paladin CS spells. Something, anything, to make 1612 worthwhile because as it currently stands, creatures are designed to have their Paladin TD balanced around a Paladin having 1612 active.
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/11/2015 02:07 PM CDT
GARGADON
Something, anything, to make 1612 worthwhile because as it currently stands, creatures are designed to have their Paladin TD balanced around a Paladin having 1612 active.

This is true for every AS/DS/CS/TD persistent modifier in the game and also true for pretty much all other RPG games. While mechanically, there's not much, if any, net gain, ultimately, players still like to level up and gain new abilities to boost their power.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/11/2015 02:56 PM CDT
This is true for every AS/DS/CS/TD persistent modifier in the game and also true for pretty much all other RPG games. While mechanically, there's not much, if any, net gain, ultimately, players still like to level up and gain new abilities to boost their power.
GameMaster Estild

If the argument is that greater numbers == better, then what about players that have:

CombatBrief ON Display shortened battle descriptions.
CombatNoNumbers ON Display numberless battle descriptions.

There are dozens of us! Dozens! Actually, I bet there are less than a dozen with those flags on. I know I am not one of them.

Champion's Might has the potential to unlock interesting build diversity with lore implementation and it's something, having played a Bard to and through far post-cap, I find lacking for the Paladin. What are typically coined Mutant Builds can be really interesting and fun and makes for a play-your-way style that is gratifying for players. It was not too long ago the Pure Bard was considered a mutant. Nevermind, that was over 10 years ago. The point stands!

Insofar at 1625 is concerned. It would be really awesome to see a benefit for weapons that are naturally sanctified. At present, a naturally sanctified weapon does absolutely nothing for a Paladin with 25 Paladin Spell Ranks, other than make it harder to Enchant, Ensorcell, Get Services, etc. Would it be possible to double the base mana able to be infused TO 50 FROM 25?
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/12/2015 12:23 AM CDT
Estild and I debated the 1612 CS thing not too long ago.

Firstly, there are some very expensive items out there with the spell. They are kind of the reason the spell exists and also won't go away IMO.

I don't totally agree that all other buff spells are exactly as pigeon-holed as 1612 is. Most other systems with these buffs are not unique to single professions, and also come into the treasure system, etc, allowing more people to make use of them. If you take 606 as an example, you could say something about warriors getting more CMAN ranks to increase their AS over a normal paladin, and it serves as something to equalize that.

With Champion's Might, Paladins are the only ones that use the Paladin base CS and TD system. Unless it's supposed to equalize our MnS CS (which is probably still not really enough to come close), the Paladin CS and TD are tweaked knowing 1612 is there IMO, and yeah it's a sort of wasted slot.

Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/12/2015 12:24 AM CDT
>If you take 606 as an example, you could say something about warriors getting more CMAN ranks to increase their AS over a normal paladin, and it serves as something to equalize that.

1606. We could also make an example with 606 but okay I didn't.

Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 05/12/2015 12:56 AM CDT
Here you go: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paladins/Paladin%20Spells/thread/1684527?get_newest=true

I also discussed the various concepts like a warding-based paladin, etc, as potential options to make this spell more appealing in function.

(Le sigh, triple post...)

Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 01/23/2018 12:24 PM CST
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paladins/Developer%27s%20Corner%20-%20Paladins/view/524
GARGADON, 05/11/2015 12:26 AM CDT
It would be wonderful if the spell was able to be cast at a single target. This mechanic would look similar to the implementation of Sonic Disruption. That is to say, with 10 ranks of Spiritual Lore: Religion, Aura of the Arkati is now able to be cast on a single target. However, the lore effects of the spell would lag behind open casts by 10 ranks. Thus, it would require 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore: Religion to max the percentage DS reduction. The cost for this single-target ability would be 5 mana.
The major byproduct of this change would be to allow Paladins to INFUSE Aura of the Arkati into the Sanctified weapon of the Paladin thereby increasing the viable spells able to be infused to 3 (i.e., 1602, 1614, 1615).
Thoughts?

Great idea! :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 01/23/2018 12:41 PM CST
"Great idea! :)" -- Estild

For the record:

I've been suggesting fundamentally the same thing (cast/spell as-is now [single or mass], evoke/spell works the other way [mass or single]) for all of the applicable BardSongs for the last couple of years, too, since the ELR started handing the ability out wholesale....
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 01/23/2018 12:41 PM CST
KRAKII
I've been suggesting fundamentally the same thing (cast/spell as-is now [single or mass], evoke/spell works the other way [mass or single]) for all of the applicable BardSongs for the last couple of years, too, since the ELR started handing the ability out wholesale....

That's a horrible idea. I hate it!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 01/23/2018 01:34 PM CST
This comes as little surprise, given the inaction on the BardSongs since then... <poke>

<flee!>
Re: Aura of the Arkati :: Upgrade 01/25/2018 04:33 PM CST
One more thing... any chance for the idea of x amount of Religeon Lore unlocks being able to bond to a second weapon? Just gotta ask :-)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
1618 - Crusade: Longer duration possible? 04/20/2018 12:06 AM CDT
I'd like to throw my hat in the camp of '1618 needs a longer duration' camp, as has been mentioned a few times.

Even if its only made longer through lores or spell ranks, Id like to see the ability to improve the duration by at least 30 seconds. One minute for a spell that really only has an effect if you actively attack (if you need to stand, get stunned, or cast a spell, etc. it decreases the EFFECTIVE duration) is a bit low. The spell EFFECTS are pretty nice, I applaud them. I'd just like to see it more user friendly, since the real duration is only 57 seconds (casting it puts you in 3s of Soft RT...not a big deal in other spells but when its 5% of your active spell duration it really is an issue) and, again, it only has an effect when you swing. Given that MOST paladins swing once every 5s, thats a max of 11 effects (57/5) assuming you are not moving or anything but simply spamming your attack command.

The group effect is nice, and I am also fine with capping it at 1min for the group since its exponentially better the more people you have in your group (great for camps, et al)

Again, a small duration buff would improve this spell in a real way for those who use it or want to use it on the Solo Hunt.

Berbels shrilly exclaims, "Ise takings hims tos secretses lairses!"

Berbels grabs you and drags you east.
Re: 1618 - Crusade: Longer duration possible? 04/20/2018 12:07 AM CDT
Note: Please ignore the double camp. Gah. I R embarrass

Berbels shrilly exclaims, "Ise takings hims tos secretses lairses!"

Berbels grabs you and drags you east.