1650: Divine Mandate 12/10/2014 08:54 AM CST
Here's another idea:

1650: Divine Mandate

In order to help carry out the will of their Deity, using this spell allows the Paladin to be instantly transported to a nearby hunting area within +/- 10 levels of the caster's own- provided it is in the same realm as the caster Casting the spell will work in a fashion similar to Symbol of Seeking- giving a quick vision of a hunting area and allowing the Paladin to confirm through the SEEK verb or to continue cycling through hunting areas until they find the one of their choosing. Because the Deity is powering the spell, the Paladin is able to travel to areas not normally accessible through transport means (OTF, Nelemar, The Rift, etc). The Paladin must be in a holy place associated with their Deity, a Deity of the same Pantheon, or an unaligned holy place. Followers of Neutral Deities can transport from any holy space.

Training in Spiritual Lore- Summoning allows the Paladin to bring one additional party member for every 15 ranks, up to a maximum of 3 at 45 ranks. This spell will not bring any party members who are CONVERTed to a hated foe of the Paladin's own deity. (Ivas/Oleani, Luukos/Lorminstra, Zelia/Sheru, etc)

Upon arrival, training in spiritual lore- blessings gives the Paladin a chance to cause all enemies in the room to kneel and to suffer 10 seconds of round time. The chance of success is 2% per rank.

Additionally, this spell can be reversed- allowing the Paladin to attempt to bring the body of a fallen player to their current location. The Paladin MUST be in a town area in order to cast the spell, and the body must be in the same realm as the Paladin. The base chance of success is 50%, and the spell has a built-in cooldown timer of 10 minutes. Because the Gods are discerning about whom they are willing to help, several factors can influence the odds of a successful transport:

If the Paladin is in a holy area of the same Pantheon as their own Deity (or generally unaligned): +25%
If the Paladin is in a holy area attuned specifically to their Deity: +50%
If the Paladin is in a holy area of a different Pantheon than that of their own deity: -25%
If the Paladin is in a holy area attuned to a hated enemy of their Deity the spell will automatically fail and the Paladin will face potentially lethal spiritual backlash

Additionally:
If the target of the spell is CONVERTed to the same Deity as the Paladin, the spell will automatically succeed.
If the target of the spell is CONVERTed to the same Pantheon as the Paladin's own Deity: +25%
If the target of the spell is CONVERTed to the opposite Pantheon as the Paladin's own Deity: -25%
If the target of the spell is CONVERTed to a hated enemy of the Paladin's own Deity: automatic failure and potentially lethal spiritual backlash against the Paladin

Finally, attempting to pull a body from certain areas with high magical interference or those that exist in another dimension (Bonespear, OTF, Rift, etc) will have an automatic -25% penalty. Training in Spiritual Lore- Summoning can negate this penalty at a rate of 1% every 3 ranks.

Note: Followers of Neutral Deities will gain a +25% bonus in any holy area and will receive an automatic success when targeting someone CONVERTed to their own deity. They are otherwise not affected by the CONVERT status of the target.
Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 10:32 AM CST
An interesting ideas as a possile spell, but (for myself anyway) that just doesn't have bling of what I expect a 50th slot to be filled in with to learn it. The avatar idea is a possibility, but I am fearful it would end up getting the nerf bat. Maybe if we could summon 1 avatar similar to the Voln warriors that aid in fighting the undead at the Landing but instead be a <Faithinite) warrior.. so a Ronanite warrior, a Luukiosian warrior, Sheruvian, etc etc. They could arguably have plate and weapon / shield that suggest their faith as well. Perhaps with summoning lore, you could get up to 2 more.. an additional at 15 ranks, and another at 30. Maybe a third at 45 ranks of Spiritual Lore. Religion Lore could increase how many times you can use the spell. 15 Ranks for a 2nd cast, a 3rd cast at 30, etc. Perhaps Blessings Lore could increase their health or what armor they are wearing with 40 ranks being full plate?

Just a thought.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 01:23 PM CST
Take it from someone who has played a sorcerer- having one extra mob in the room fighting for you does not make a huge difference.

I know everyone wants more and more "POW!" in the 1650 spell, but you gotta keep in mind the other 50th level spells that have been released: Assume Aspect, Miracle, etc. Assume power level that's in line with those. Those spells aren't massively powerful spells- the mostly just give people a class-defining ability that comes in handy sometimes.

The ability to do "armchair" rescues- pulling a corpse from the field instead of having to go find them would be a very class-defining ability. And the ability to circumvent some of the most annoying barriers to get into hunting areas (an easy way into the Rift? Sign me up!) would also be something very class-defining and super helpful, particularly at higher levels.
Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 04:38 PM CST
We have a rescue spell already and rarely at at all get to raise because clerics take on that role and offer more benefits and get more benefited from it than we do thus why I don't see the 1650 needing to be a rescue spell. It's not logical with a paladin. We are the champions of the arkati - be of Liablo or Lornon.. thus why the 50th spell slot should make a statement as that is going to be our most powerful spell.

Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 05:22 PM CST
FALAN
We have a rescue spell already and rarely at at all get to raise because clerics take on that role and offer more benefits and get more benefited from it than we do thus why I don't see the 1650 needing to be a rescue spell. It's not logical with a paladin. We are the champions of the arkati - be of Liablo or Lornon.. thus why the 50th spell slot should make a statement as that is going to be our most powerful spell.

I agree with your overall statement about a rescue spell not befitting as a capstone spell for Paladins, but anyone who declines a resurrection via Divine Word because they want to wait for a Cleric is foolish. In the time they wait, get rescued, healed, and resurrected, the Paladin could have raised them and they could have immediately continued their hunt to re-earn their lost field experience, then dealt with the aftermath (losing spells and getting healed) while they were resting. In addition, Paladins earn the same amount of experience as Clerics do from raising the dead.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 07:45 PM CST
<cough>Addthisfunctionto1620whenyouhave50spellranks<cough>

Seriously though- Paladins can raise- as was pointed out. And especially with a battle rez available- 1620 borders on pointless outside of the 20-40 range. I can't remember the last time I cast it (though the implementation of the pray mechanic is sheer genius- LOVE). Maybe it's time to implement this new feature in it after a certain amount of training. (as in- being able to potentially pull bodies from the field to you after, say, 50 ranks. Similar to how 318 grows in power as you train in the clerical circle)

I do also want to point out that I really would like to see 1650 (and some more spells ideally) start taking CONVERT into account. The same exact deities who are dividing clerics up into smite and bane camps seem to be largely (and inconsistently) uninterested in their paladins.

If nothing else- the addition of more deity-specific messaging would be a huge impact here. When a cleric of Sheru and a cleric of Niima go hunting, you can feel the difference between them. Paladins should be the same way.

And- since literally no one asked, I'm going to suggest some potential revisions to existing spells to make the feel of your CONVERT choices more obvious:

1601: Replace existing messaging with deity-specific messaging

1602: Replace existing messaging with deity-specific messaging

1604: Replace the sancted weapon plasma flare type with the deity-specific flares of 1618. Use the same messaging.

1605: Provide a modest- but noticeable- difference in impact depending on the target utilizing smite/bane. Give those CONVERTed to a smite-aligned deity a 14% base AvD bonus against the undead and a 6% AvD bonus against the living, for example. Also, great opportunity for some deity-specific messaging for this spell beyond simple color changes.

1613: Provide a DS bonus/penalty to party members depending on their CONVERT status. Same pantheon = same bonus as the paladin. Same Arkati/Spirit- 20% increase to DS bonus. Opposite pantheon= -25% to DS bonus. Hated Enemy: receive no benefit from the spell [Why would Lorminstra protect Luukos's followers?]

1625: Replace the plasma flares with the deity-specific flares of 1618. Maintain the same messaging. Increase/Decrease flare rate based on smite/bane alignment.

1640: Reduce the spirit cost by 25% when raising someone of your own pantheon. Reduce it by 50% if they are converted to your deity. Completely prohibit using 1640 against a CONVERT of a hated enemy- Paladin suffers spiritual backlash for trying. (Yes, I know this will never fly. But the RP reasoning is hard to argue with)

Re: 1650: Divine Mandate... and the Avatar possible spell 12/10/2014 09:28 PM CST
Oh I agree Estild. But this is from my experience while playing Falvicar (my paladin) typically in the Landing area. I do find I use it more often at The Rift but it's a roll of the dice, but I think the paladin raise beats having to heal up after being raised with all those scars on you! <grin>

I hope more ideas come for 1650.