New player needs 11/26/2014 03:02 PM CST
What are some in-game things that would be super useful to new players? Let's keep the discussion civil, please!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 03:05 PM CST

I know Silverwood Manor has a donation bin, and while I'm not sure exactly what happens with these items, how about adding a donation bin to Mist Harbor so it's more convenient to make donations, maybe right outside the pawnshop. I know I would dump a lot of wands into it for newbie casters.
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 03:07 PM CST

Actually, having full Manor access on Mist Harbor would be great so many people not in accessible towns could still attend events.
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 05:53 PM CST
>What are some in-game things that would be super useful to new players? Let's keep the discussion civil, please!

It might be worth checking the retention on those dropped in TV and Icemule compared to the Landing, because I'd expect the Landing to be a lot better for a new player.
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 05:54 PM CST

How about a way to truly identify a new player as opposed to a secondary or umpteenthinary character. Using that make sure they don't end up some place where there is likely to be few new players. Or more involved only let them gen someplace that a rat or something similar has been killed in the last week? Not sure that would help but being able to id a new account WOULD be beneficial for both GM's and those of us that like to help in general. Maybe another Login type notification that is on a toggle that says xyz has just begun their adventure in Elanthia?
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 05:54 PM CST
An informative players guide would be good. This is a seriously complicated game with all kinds of commands many of which have been long forgotten. I just heard of the Sort up/down <item> inventory command a few months back and there are many things I don't know how to do and just skip using.

A public armory at each town hall like the TSC herb bin setup that will hold gear left in it until someone actually removes it, where new players can get things they need to enjoy the game whether they are playing Prime or Premium.

An item that will give new characters set up as pures 60 mana and lasts until they achieve level 20 where 1x Harness Power training will have them at 60 if they've chosen to train it each training.

Give wands more charges so you can kill at least three like level monsters before it runs out. Give young players an extra good chance to hit their target with a wand.

The game site information updated. Seems I've ran across information that isn't true anymore.

A system that people can log onto to work as informal mentors for new players that provides a way for new players to contact us for questions or to hunt with them if we have low level characters on our accounts.

Have all new account players arrive in the Landing where there are more people.

Tanivar Somakre

Healing, you want it, you shall have it.
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 06:06 PM CST

>Have all new account players arrive in the Landing where there are more people.

as a returning player (about 8 years ago), I was dropped in TV and I really liked how it gave me a completely new perspective on the game. There were no papers back then though.
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 06:56 PM CST
Some suggestions, in no particular order:

1) Love the 'new' versus 'upteenth' point, and would be very handy for the below, as well. Below, 'new' character means a totally new player. New character means new or old players.

1a) Timing change - 30 days doesn't set the hook. You need 27 days of consistent behavior to set a habit - and most people won't approach any one game in a 27 out of 30 day stint. Dangle the hook for 90 days, and target specific points below during that 90 days to set that hook. Run the numbers. . . 10% retention at 30 days versus projected 35% retention at 90 days. Should easily pay for itself.

2) Create a channel, always on, never drains, for mentors and 'new' characters to have frank / out-of-character, but game-based discussions - perhaps consider how to extend to other player / characters. Make that channel available everywhere in game for a new character. Merchants, hunting, town, training / character managers, etc. Ends at 20 levels / 90 days.

3) Give each 'new' character a special token that can be used 5 times (and has the counter showing 5 on it) so that they can get a name, and try out a profession - then maybe decide that this other profession they've heard about would be better for how they wish to portray the character. The function of the token would be to restore all absorbed experience (up to 5) times only when swapping professions on the same named character in the first 90 days. Yes, I know - any of us stalwarts could get to 30 or 40 trainings in that time. Remember, 'new' (see point 1 above).

4) A 'starter' forum. There's too much information too radically dispersed here and on Krakiipedia. Put a sticky forum with some of the best tips and tricks contributed adown the years from the players and staff. Make it searchable and editable and use it as a spring board to migrate the rest of the world to after solving billing / subscription challenges. Double whammy! But for now, make it generally accessible to anyone, including a Q/A folder than anyone can post questions to. What a great advertising hook, triple whammy!

5) Give 'new' characters the ability to nominate exceptionally helpful (or frightening or what have you) characters they meet for 'monetary' rewards (part of doing away with the treasure system discussion, perhaps?) Always reviewed by a mentor / host, but a great means of introducing new players to in-game reward recognition mechanisms while teaching the interesting facet of roleplay that 'liking' or 'agreeing with' isn't where it's at.

6) Incent Houses to champion 'new arrivals' orientations. Hunting trips, historical trips, expanding 100 fold on what the sprite manages to accomplish. Make it House based for recognition points, rather than character based for 'monetary' rewards.

7) Give each 'new' character a means to 'play-test' ideas. Example - pre-generated war-empath, versus pre-generated pure-path. If the new player isn't sure, before committing to a name / profession over the long haul let them play a prototype up to level 10 at some discount (hell, make it free and start getting a ton of new players in here - we can all work together to 'hook' them.) If they go immediately from 'play-test' to premium, let 'em use a damn token (see 3 above) to keep all that hard work against a character they're really investing in ('new' character premium perk!)

8) Give each new character a copy of the Elanthian Times Starter Edition with readable text (in game book) about things like how VERB INFO works, how to use AMULET networks, common names for 'healers' and 'plant growers', and inside tips about why a white flask or a pure potion could be so useful. Use it to set expectations - 'the great struggle ahead. . . don't expect to always be victorious. . . making a name for oneself means continually working on . . . it's possible with great effort to accomplish XXXXX on this path.' Some of the verbiage, like 'accomplish XXXX on this path' could easily be tailored to what the character is actually pursuing, rather than general advice.

9) Find a way to 'block' 3rd party software until such time as the new character has been 'familiarized' (I prefer indoctrinated, but someone will complain about that word) with the benefits and risks. Then, if they ACCEPT CONFIRM, turn them loose. Keep that as a record of 'knowing Terms of Service' to help with future potential challenges. Make knowing the Terms of Service associated with some of these OOC topics fun! Use this avenue to help appropriately guide and coach on OOC-ism, how to deal with problematic (bullying?) situations, and the like.

10) Create an event to coincide with HSN-type timing, and have that event only be available to characters 20 trains or less, or perhaps even 10 trains or less. Specifically tailor the events to drive excitement for new players, while encouraging old players to take up a new mantle with which to beat back the heathen grimswarm, etc. Call it 'HSN - Relive the Adventure'.

11) Create an opportunity to have 'new' characters earn a bit of 'monetary' reward (gift-of-adventure level, or simu-coins, what a way to introduce those to a new player!) by participating in game panels purely with a focus on starting the game. We're asking them of their time to help us make this not simply an outstanding game, but a completely undeniable best practice to MMO gaming start for new players. And live faithfully by it.

12) Put a 'talk to a mentor' or equivalent web-based chat room on the registered page when a mentor is present and available, for pete's sake.

13) Highlight a 'new' character's journey (marketing collateral) in the lands and publish to Facebook, or other suitable social media / gaming forum.

14) Focus. I freely admit staff is spread too thin with too many things to accomplish. But our focus needs more focus. If there's nothing as important as new-player subscriptions at this point in time, let's make that call. Set everything else aside, and let us strive together to accomplish it. I'll bet my most prized in game possession that if we (the entire community, with all of our differences and perspectives) simply agree to set everything aside for a 6 month membership drive, and put our hearts into it, we could triple the subscriptions to the game. Yes, I mean GMs and development included. Although the development effort might need a slight head-start. . .

Doug
Re: New player needs 11/26/2014 11:34 PM CST
Well, I'll fully agree that low level hunting as a pure has never felt really castery. Sometime, I would feel like I couldn't have any shot at all of killing things in the first 5 levels. Now, as somebody who's played multiple characters, I know to just spec for swinging and retrain after 3 days because I'll be ten by then and have enough points to play my role, but a new person doesn't know this.

We talked a little elsewhere about adding extra information about respeccing to the character builder, but these comments also make me wonder about something else. I know certain spells, like 1106, have a TD pushdown at lower levels. I'm assuming this is because the TD etc. formula just doesn't play well for the utility of the spell at the endpoints.

That got me thinking. Here's a quick idea that I don't think will break the game but could make the experience a little bit better for a new player, without overpowering older players who know how to work around these limits:

//--

An Item that allows the young caster to have more mana capacity, or to rub and recharge their mana. It's self attuned and only works until a certain level (10?). In essence, this gives a mana push-up at the lower levels. You can even scale it as they grow into their harness power etc.

There's a small abuse potential because now an experienced player could stack it and harness power to have a big mana pool... but until level 10 does that really matter? A pure who specs swinger (by putting their strength/con etc. to max) is still probably killing just as fast. Besides, such a person knows to find a Wizard and ask for strength (+15 AS) and Minor Edge (+5 AS) anyway, which honestly can make you a bit more consistent than a level 1-5 casting wizard if you're actually concerned about kill speed.

//--

Another idea that popped in after that one... You could give Squares items (again, self attuned and level capped) that allow them to cast some good starter spells on themselves, like a Strength amulet that requires 0 MIU, has a reasonable number of charges (10, 20?), and comes with a note saying "You can get this spell cast on you by another player with relative ease, so once it's used up I recommend you head on over to <Insert Starting town gathering point here> and ask if anybody can help you out with the Strength spell" This allows self-starting, while also nudging toward the social areas, and letting people know just how powerful the little extra help can be.
Re: New player needs 11/27/2014 08:03 AM CST
Great thoughts so far -- keep the ideas coming!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
Re: New player needs 11/27/2014 10:10 AM CST
I agree with those that mention a new player guide. I know that the information is out there, but let's face it, if you are totally new, you wouldn't even have a good idea of what to search for. A simple, this is how you do this and that guide readily available would help I think.

My wife and I have returned after a long time and there are many changes that we have no clue on how to use. At least everyday we play we end up saying to each other, "Wow, I wonder how they did that." For a new player it has to be very confusing.

Clintmire
Re: New player needs 11/29/2014 12:50 PM CST
As I see it, the game's legacy should be preserved, meaning it should be difficult to play a pure at the beginning. The reward is well worth the effort. My empath was incredibly difficult to play as a pure from 0 to about 30. Around that point, she discovered Guardians of Sunfist and never looked back. My wizard depended on wands until about level 40. Now she only uses wands when she's doing a bounty and wants to finish culling creatures without going back to town (i.e. she is long past fried). My cleric had no issues. She was a viable hunter from day 1, but I also started her in Ta'Vaalor because new character experience is the best there.

This game is about choices and it should remain that way. If you want a pretty steady gaming experience where you start off swinging and steadily grow in power, play a square. If you want to start out exceptionally weak so that you can become incredibly powerful, play a pure caster. If you want something in between, play a semi. If you want to have your cake and eat it, too, play a mutant pure who swings for 30 days and then fixskills into a caster. (Although, you're not really having your cake and eating it, too, because pure casters don't really start coming into their own until levels 35-40.)

Having said that, there are definite improvements that could be made to the new player experience.

1) Sprite quest. Have the sprite take the newcomer all around town to every shop and explain what it is and why you'd need to visit it. Grant experience for each shop the newcomer visits. Show the newcomer all of the alternate ways to gain experience beyond hunting (in Icemule, running messages; in the Landing, making iron; in Ta'Vaalor, running messages and bringing the guards water). End with the sprite taking the new character to the town's sage, who will explain more about the game and how to play. When the newcomer passes the exam, provide them with an in-game book that gives more reference information.

2) Newcomer experience. Make it so that each town has at least two different ways to get newcomer experience (Ta'Vaalor is the best town for new characters experience-wise).

3) Cobbling warehouses. Add them to all of the starter towns. In the sprite quest, show new characters the forge, the cobbling warehouse, and the fletcher's shop. Explain how they can gain experience from artisan skills.

4) Guilds. Why are pure guilds modeled after square guilds when they don't provide the same benefits? I'd propose:
a) Let pure guilds provide experience on par with artisan skills.
b) Let pures join at level 3. That way, they can gain experience, learn to roleplay their characters, and make items that will actually be useful to them.
c) Remove the wall. Keep the diversification requirement, but don't make each rank cost more the more ranks you get. Start off with a higher cost if need be.

I know it was said that there would be no further guild development for the foreseeable future, but making these changes (at the very least changing the level requirement to 3 for pures) would help all casting professions. It would also provide a much-needed boost to alchemy by allowing those who are in most need of its benefits to receive them.
Re: New player needs 11/29/2014 01:50 PM CST

>As I see it, the game's legacy should be preserved, meaning it should be difficult to play a pure at the beginning. The reward is well worth the effort. My empath was incredibly difficult to play as a pure from 0 to about 30.

thank you for being sensible rather than pushing for EZ mode.
Re: New player needs 11/30/2014 09:17 AM CST
>3) Cobbling warehouses. Add them to all of the starter towns. In the sprite quest, show new characters the forge, the cobbling warehouse, and the fletcher's shop. Explain how they can gain experience from artisan skills.

This. Artisan Skills are a great source of experience.

For fletching: Have the sprite show that sticks can be foraged, that low level birds will produce feathers for fletchings, such that material expenses can be managed pretty easily.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The Black Diamond Masquerade Ball: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Quests%60Sagas%60Events/Current%20and%20Upcoming%20Events/thread/1675348#
Re: New player needs 11/30/2014 11:21 AM CST
Or better yet Bill, make quests out of it. The local fletching shop needs sticks. Go out and find some by foraging in this location. Return with x number of sticks and get exp and silver. Next make some arrows. Etc.

The idea is we provide mechanical incentive to participate while we guide new players through useful skills. Never leave them ignorant or wondering how or what to do next.
Re: New player needs 12/01/2014 05:28 PM CST
>Or better yet Bill, make quests out of it. The local fletching shop needs sticks. Go out and find some by foraging in this location. Return with x number of sticks and get exp and silver. Next make some arrows. Etc.

>The idea is we provide mechanical incentive to participate while we guide new players through useful skills. Never leave them ignorant or wondering how or what to do next.

Agreed. The only MMORPG I really tinkered with when away from GS was LOTRO, and while I can't recall specifics, they did have a nice way of overlapping quests and systems all the while gaining experience and also exploring new areas. Mind you, I capped in about 3-4 months over there, so the system in and of itself was not particularly perfect - but the point I agree with is having system overlap, especially at the beginning: learn something new, gain experience, explore different aspects of the gaming environment. Not every method of gaining meaningful things in the game is directly tied to combat nor level - however, as levels increase, you do build upon what you have learned and gained and the rewards get riskier as well as more valuable.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The Black Diamond Masquerade Ball: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Quests%60Sagas%60Events/Current%20and%20Upcoming%20Events/thread/1675348#
Re: New player needs 12/09/2014 09:25 AM CST
Want a guide for that? I can do that.

~Whirlin