Skinning question 06/30/2012 04:21 PM CDT
I hope this is ok to post here, I looked and couldn't find a seemingly better place to post this question.

The Adventurer's Guild has given me a skinning quest to skin cockatrice tailfeathers of at least exceptional quality skins. I've turned in 42 tailfeathers (since I started counting, probably between 55-60) and gotten credit for a single tailfeather. Is this what I should expect? And besides training survival (I'm fully doubled in FA) what are some other ways an empath can improve their skinning success? I am an empath, fully trained at level 10 (so 22 ranks of FA). I have 72 dex and 92 discipline. I am using an ice pick (inspects as a modified dagger). I am kneeling on every skin with only my pick in my hands (my right specifically).

Should the skinning task be so difficult? Do I just not have the skills/stats to get exceptional quality skins yet? I think that approximately 60 kills seems a bit much for a single step in the task, or is that what I should expect?

Thanks for your time and advice.
Re: Skinning question 06/30/2012 04:44 PM CDT
Exceptional? I'd turn the task in at that level of training. Kneeling helps get skins, but doesn't affect skin quality. Smaller weapons are better, so the pick should do. Myabe add some ranks of survival if you really really want those exceptional skins?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Skinning question 06/30/2012 04:49 PM CDT

Is doubling first aid ever going to make me a good skinner or am I going to have to put points into survival as well to see better quality skins?

My ratio is better. I've gotten credit for 3 on a total of about 70 turn-ins now. I'm hoping that I'll get the last two before I hit 100.
Re: Skinning question 06/30/2012 05:37 PM CDT
Where you damage the creature affects the quality of skin. For tail feathers, I'd suggest aiming for the eyes/head/neck and avoid the body.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Skinning question 06/30/2012 08:53 PM CDT
Niadja is doubled in FA and has never had difficulty doing skinning quests. I only just added 10 ranks of Survival, but more because I needed the ability to build fires, resist cold, etc. Exceptional is just a cruel request at your level, I'd consider taking the advice of ditching that particular bounty, or you could ask around for a ranger or someone more skilled to help you out.

~Niadja
Re: Skinning question 07/01/2012 12:01 PM CDT

I managed to trudge through the skinning task. I would say I had an incredibly unlucky run on my first two turn-ins. After that, I managed one successful turn in for every 10 or so tailfeathers. I didn't think that was too terribly unreasonable.
Re: Skinning question 07/01/2012 05:32 PM CDT

Skinning is hard at low level. You need to be up to 30-40 ranks before you have a decent chance at top quality.
Re: Skinning question 07/16/2012 06:04 PM CDT
{Skinning is hard at low level. You need to be up to 30-40 ranks before you have a decent chance at top quality.}

I know this might be the obvious and silly to mention, but skinning does get effected by the type of blade your using, kneeling, empty hands, etc. I have seen many empaths that can skin as good or better then almost equal age rangers. I would think that works across the board with the right skills.

Also its very important to realize success rate for getting a skin, and the value or quality of the skin are only indirectly related. If your able to skin many, but just not getting good skins.. That is more likely as was previously mentioned about how your killing the critter and what your using to skin.

I look at it like a modern trapper can be great with his knife and skin almost anything, but if hes skinning a beaver that he killed with a 12 gauge shotgun, no matter how good he is with the knife he cant put the pieces back together, or fix the big holes the gun created.
Re: Skinning question 07/16/2012 06:05 PM CDT
Small blade, open other hand, and kneeling all affect success rate. Quality of skin depends on knowledge of first aid and survival, whether or not you have skinning spell in effect, and whether or not you damaged the area where the skin comes from when you (or whoever) killed the critter.

At this point, my empath can get high quality skins using her runestaff :)
(well, OK I have a script that I run that actually has her kneel and grab a dagger if I need magnificent quality skins, but the runestaff works also for lesser demands).

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Skinning question 07/16/2012 07:18 PM CDT

Empaths also have boneshatter and heal, two spells that if they dont cause external damage, leave skins almost pristine
Re: Skinning question 07/19/2012 04:40 PM CDT
>At this point, my empath can get high quality skins using her runestaff :)

Idly imagine Guen using her rune staff as a golf club to knock the skin off of things.

- Kevin, amused.