Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 12:38 PM CDT
After running into a couple of people again with questions about how to start out a young pure caster and what to do, I realized again that there are only two reasonable ways to do it: 1) Train in a weapon and set your stats physically for the first 30 days and switch right before they're up, and 2) Have some friends who are willing to make you a ton of wands with 901 or such in them. Neither of these methods is straightforward or that easy for a new player, particularly.

Possible solutions:

1) Provide 1 iron wand every half hour either free of charge or for a minimal fee at the town clerk to players under level twenty. Have them attuned and unable to be sold at the pawnshop.
2) Provide players under level twenty with a self-charging iron wand that has holds 40 charges and recharges at 20 per hour, recharging on first use. Have it become unusable after level twenty, or even shimmer and disappear.

Other useful points:
1) Add a note on runestaves into the runestaff INSPECT so that instead of THW use, they indicate magical skills. Or add something about runestaves to the sprite quest.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 12:56 PM CDT
>>After running into a couple of people again with questions about how to start out a young pure caster<<

Pure casters are wimps; use weapons forever!
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 01:07 PM CDT

I will say though ,t at the documentations are feeble when it comes to the mechanics of using pure spellcasters. They really need expansion.
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 03:05 PM CDT

>>Other useful points:
1) Add a note on runestaves into the runestaff INSPECT so that instead of THW use, they indicate magical skills. Or add something about runestaves to the sprite quest.

On this note, I actually bugged a couple days ago the way the sprite discusses the runestaff. It is way off the charts. The sprite mentions that you have a runestaff in your right hand, which is correct, but then goes on about how I am also wearing a runestaff and I should remove it for additional protection, obviously referring to a shield.

There isn't much help from the sprite on how to use a runestaff at all!

-X
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 03:07 PM CDT
I like helping out players in person, rather than giving a 'script' or 'site' to follow. Might just be me, though. Mentors would be a great avenue for this formally -- and I think most of the ones that I am aware of are pretty current on these topics.

Feel free to send specific questers out to find the elf, though. . . Traveling the lands, dispensing advice and justice all at once!

Doug
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 04:05 PM CDT
>>Mentors would be a great avenue for this formally -- and I think most of the ones that I am aware of are pretty current on these topics.<<

Do the mentors still exist? I haven't heard the announcement "so-and-so is available etc." in a long time. Nor is it mentioned anywhere that the forums even exist for reference and queries. No real newcomer is going to be even aware of these information venues. Yes, having the sprite mention these items would be OOC; so have a standard information package made up and sent to any newcomer's e-mail, explaining this stuff.
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 04:09 PM CDT

I got a mentor message the other day when I was running around. I'm not sure how often they are available, but they do still exist.

-X
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 05:12 PM CDT
I agree in principle that it is best to deal with these one-on-one. However, there are enough people that are afraid to talk to folks until they "know the ropes," as it were.

I really like the idea of updating runestaves:
You carefully inspect your golden mesille staff.
After a careful inspection you determine that an elegant golden mesille staff requires skill in twohanded weapons to use effectively, <b>although sufficient magical training may activate its defensive capability.</b>

On the subject of the self-charging wand, I would perhaps suggest a self-mana wand that has a chance to drain a mana point, based on level, not usable by players greater than level 5-10, where most spellcasters are able to hunt on their own, sans weapons. My thought would be the chance to not use a mana point would be something like 100% - Level*10%.

Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/07/2011 08:40 PM CDT

Yes, Mentors still exist. Mentors still do "courtyard duty" as well. Mentors also run meet and greets and various other activities. The only towns where you have the "so and so is available" are Landing, Icemule, and Ta'Vaalor. If you're not in one of these, you aren't going to see that message. If you're outside the towns, you won't, either.
Re: Help for Newbie Pures 09/08/2011 02:25 PM CDT

We are still here! We do courtyards (that message about so and so being available), we try and stop by to welcome new folk, we run mini festival and games and get togethers (we have a few coming up this month!) and we LOVE it when people ring the bell at Silverwood Manor.

We are all Mentors because we love helping people, we train hard to keep up on topics and new stuff. Stop by anytime you have questions. No question is too menial or dumb, and if the person answering the doorbell doesn't have the info you need, he or she will help you track it down!

You can type DIR to get directions to Silverwood Manor in Landing, Icemule, and Ta'Vaalor.

Watch NEWS and the calendar to see what events we have planned for this month and beyond.

Mentor Sereh